PDA

View Full Version : What speaker for 5E3 Tweed Deluxe?

Derelict
05-18-2006, 03:55 PM
Hi,
I am ordering a 5E3 kit from Bruce Collins at mission amps. I am wondering what the best speakers are for a 5E3. I will be runnin this in a 2x12 configuration, so they will have to be 16 ohm. I played a Victoria through an eminence Legend (i assume a 121) and thought it was incredible.

Any other suggestions?

-Adam

ES350
05-18-2006, 04:38 PM
I have put just about anything in a 5E3 that would fit...and here's my take FWIW.

---for straight tweed tones---P12R (quick break up), P12Q (a little brighter and cleaner), P12P/P12N (probably overkill in a 2x12, but cleaner, more efficient).
---for mini-Marshall tones---Celestion Blue or the Weber Alnico Blue seem to be the faves in this amp.
---Jensen style ceramics---cleaner, tighter low end, more efficient, brighter. Maybe a nice middle ground overall...

I switch between vintage P12P, P12N, and some C12N and C12P I have around...kinda leaning toward a cleaner 5E3 tone. Weber has some Signature alnico 12's that might be a pretty good economical alternative for a 2x12" 5E3. You might want to consider the 6L6 mods and a bigger multitap OT if you are going to run a bigger cab. A lot to carry around for 12 watts...and you are limited in speaker choices if you need 16 ohms (that rules out most vintage American speakers).

sdgvintage
05-18-2006, 04:45 PM
Weber 12a125a is the one to get. It sounds most like the original jensens.

myles111
05-18-2006, 05:54 PM
Having at lease one Vox Blue is about as good as it gets .... two are even better.

ROKY
05-18-2006, 07:09 PM
I have 2 Eminence 122 AlNiCo 16 ohms- one still unboxed, the other tested
briefly, if interested.

Very cool speakers; sounds like you've already tried these ?

PM for more details if interested .

Derelict
05-18-2006, 08:54 PM
Thanks guys for the suggestions.

pbradt
05-18-2006, 08:57 PM
I have 2 Eminence 122 AlNiCo 16 ohms- one still unboxed, the other tested
briefly, if interested.

Very cool speakers; sounds like you've already tried these ?

PM for more details if interested .

These are the BEST speakers for a 5E3. I have one in mine (1x12 config) and it's schweet with a Tele, a Strat or a Baritone. I'd jump on these in a heartbeat if I needed two 12" speakers to make 8 ohms.

Edit: I should note, my single speaker in my 5E3 is an 8-ohm model.

Derelict
05-18-2006, 09:11 PM
i am thinking an eminence wizard might be nice in the tweed deluxe. its got those nice, glassy highs that a tweed amp cound benefit from. i play mostly overdriven and cleans with a bit of hair. also, b/c of both its aggressive overdriven nature, and nice 3-d top end presence, i was also thinking about governors.

am i an idiot?

Strung Up
05-18-2006, 09:12 PM
You haven't said what kind of sound you're after. Even if true vintage, you might want things on one end or the other of the clean/dirty, sweet/crunchy spectrums. (OK grammar police, I know what the plural is.)

I queried the same thing and had numerous Jensen style suggestions and the ever-popular Cel. Blue. Since I'm running 1x12 in a 5E variant that can use 6L6's at about 25 and wanted to hang cleaner longer, I went with a higher wattage Weber 12A150. Couldn't be happier - still gets raucous gradually, and later, and has some of the creaminess on top of the blue.

If I were doing a 2x12, I'd definitely mix and match a blue (Cel or Weber) and a Weber 12Asomething (they've got a few variations).

stvnscott
05-18-2006, 09:39 PM
Mine is just a 112, but I have a Weber 12A125 and love the thing.

cbpickin
05-18-2006, 10:58 PM
I have Cele Blue in my Clark Beaufort and I think it is amazing. It is Michael Clark's choice and he is pretty much a certified tweed nut. I find it still sounds vintage, but with some tonal things the vintage style speakers can't do.

Derelict
05-19-2006, 08:38 PM
well,
i dunno if i am going to go with redcoat emienences or not. i don't want anything to interfere with the amp's tone; i want my amp to sound tweedy, and not british; like the intro to Pearl Jam's "immortality." It sounds like at any minute the amp is going to explode. maybe the texas heats or red white and blues. its going into a 2x12, mind you, and i need an 8-ohm load, so that means 16-0hm speakers.

Scott_F
05-20-2006, 06:56 AM
I've tried all sorts in this amp...

Red Fang
G12H30
Greenback
Texas Heat
Vintage 30
P12Q
P12R
C12Q

My favorite is the Texas Heat. BUt truth be told, I like that speaker in a lot of american style amps.

TNJ
05-20-2006, 07:48 AM
Another Celestion Blue fan here.
With my Tele and my Wakarusa A2 (tweed deluxe clone) combo...it's pure heaven.

S>
j

mad dog
05-20-2006, 07:56 AM
CBPickin: What tonal things can the Blue do in the Clark tweed? I've never heard these speakers, but really like the way good tweed amps are flexible to more modern speaker sounds (like the way ceramics can work so well.)

QuickDraw
05-20-2006, 08:02 AM
weber 12a125 is the shizit, there's a clip of one with a 5e3 here (https://weberspeakerscom.secure.powweb.com/weber/12a125.htm)

Red Planet
05-20-2006, 08:14 AM
Eminence Wizard is whats in mine and I have no complaints. I bet a Celestion Blue would sound good in one too. :AOK

Zelmo
05-20-2006, 09:06 AM
One more for the Blue.

ROKY
05-20-2006, 11:06 AM
These are the BEST speakers for a 5E3. I have one in mine (1x12 config) and it's schweet with a Tele, a Strat or a Baritone. I'd jump on these in a heartbeat if I needed two 12" speakers to make 8 ohms.

These are great speakers, and very undermentioned.

For affordable Alnicos they sound much better then the Red Fangs, especially
right outta the box, not harsh, at all .

I had a pair of Fangs, BTW, for over year(jumped in during the inital Emi Buzz)

Bacton
05-21-2006, 08:53 AM
Im making the same decision for my mission 5e3. My problem is i might, at some point, change it over to a higher wattage (maybe even up to 40 watts) The celestion blues sound great but they only make them in a 15 watt version. What would sound good with the amp in both 15 and 40ish watt versions?

Red Planet
05-21-2006, 08:59 AM
Have you seen the Celestion Gold? They are gonna be available in July and handle 50 watts.

http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/products/alnico/detail.asp?ID=32

I was reading the LA Amp show thread and saw some folks said they really liked the Golds.

Bacton
05-21-2006, 09:09 AM
whoa I havent heard of the celestion gold! That looks great. Ill have to decide between one of those and a weber ceramic 12F150-O or B and possibly some of emeninces. How do the ceramics sound on tweeds? I dont htink ive ever heard a ceramic speaker.

ROKY
05-21-2006, 09:19 AM
Im making the same decision for my mission 5e3. My problem is i might, at some point, change it over to a higher wattage (maybe even up to 40 watts) The celestion blues sound great but they only make them in a 15 watt version. What would sound good with the amp in both 15 and 40ish watt versions?

The Eminence 122s I have, are rated at 35w/ea.

Red Planet
05-21-2006, 09:36 AM
As I said before I'm using the Eminence Wizard in mine. Sounds Great in there. I would like to hear the Celstion Gold in there though. Mine is pushing 30-35 watts so a Blue wouldnt stand up IMO.

My Tweed Deluxe has a little more power than most though. Mine is the SDG Vintage Tweed Proluxe. It has bigger trannys and will run 6L6's though I run JJ 6V6's in it most of the time with a Weber 5u4 Copper Cap rectifier.

I use a Rastaman Cut Pedal with mine and a Boss Blues Driver. The Cut pedal gives me much more clean headroom. The Tone of this Amp cranked is freakin amasing using the Blues Driver and my Les Paul with just the bridge pickup and the tone all the way down on the guitar. Talk about woman tone. :crazy

I think I'd like to paint my Rastaman Cut Pedal. How About a rastafarian dude holding a sword and funny looking green buds all around him. :AOK

rastaman
05-21-2006, 10:32 AM
How About a rastafarian dude holding a sword and funny looking green buds all around him. :AOK

:JAM

Bacton
06-16-2006, 01:18 PM
I heard some people on another forum that swore the Tone Tubby hempcone alnico 12 was the best speaker for the tweed deluxe. I always thought the cel blue was the undisputed king of 5e3. Has anyone heard one of these TT speakers?

nitehawk55
07-06-2008, 07:19 PM
I'm just getting ready to try something different in a Robin 5E3 amp . It has a ceramic Scumback 25W which sounds fine but I think one of the Alnico's would sound better . Lots of votes for the Weber 12A125 , Celestion Blue but I have to wonder on the TT Alnico as well . Anyone tried one of those ?
Blues is my main style BTW :AOK

Craftmatic
03-23-2010, 01:18 PM
I played a Victoria deluxe clone at a store recently with a Jensen P12Q and it sounded and reacted to volume and dynamics perfectly. It had major note bloom.

Right now I have a Weber 12F150 with a 50 oz. ceramic mag in there and I don't like it. This speaker has a high pitched metallic overtone that irritates the hell out of me and it has this problem in any Fender style amp with my single coil Fenders axes.

NeilYoungFan
03-23-2010, 01:34 PM
I played a Victoria deluxe clone at a store recently with a Jensen P12Q and it sounded and reacted to volume and dynamics perfectly. It had major note bloom.

Right now I have a Weber 12F150 with a 50 oz. ceramic mag in there and I don't like it. This speaker has a high pitched metallic overtone that irritates the hell out of me and it has this problem in any Fender style amp with my single coil Fenders axes.

Agree about the 12F150. It sounded kinda harsh in my Clark Beaufort and took much of the amp's organic, warm tone away. The P12Q the amp came with sounded decent at low volumes, but when pushed it farted.
At the moment I have a Celestion Gold in the amp. I didn't like it in the beginning, as I found the treble to be piercing. After hours of playing I believe it settled to a sweeter tone which is quite nice now.

aboutdrill
03-23-2010, 02:37 PM
Tungsten T12Q. I love this speaker. I have one in my Tungsten Cortez. When I first played through that speaker I realized I wasn't a Celestion guy.

DavidS
03-27-2010, 01:20 PM
I have the Weber 12A125-O on the way which I believe the Tungsten T12Q is based on, 20watt, light dope, straight "R" cone. I've used Celestion Blue, Gold, and Jensen RI P12Q in my tweed deluxe. All sounded good, but none really sounded like what I have heard from the original 50's amps. After reading the Premier Guitar review of the Tungsten T12Q I decided I was just using the wrong speaker. I wanted my amp to sound like the originals and not try to get more clean headroom, tighter bass, etc. I have other amps for that. Hopefully, the Weber will get me there, or at least closer, without having to worry about buying/blowing an original.

pbradt
03-27-2010, 01:45 PM
The Eminence 122s I have, are rated at 35w/ea.

THose are the ones with the plastic voice coil former. I like the paper ones better. All my amps have paper-former emis in them.

Dale
03-27-2010, 03:27 PM
There are a lot good speakers. It is a matter of personal taste. I like the C-Rex in it. But, as you see there are a large number of options.

shredtrash
03-27-2010, 05:05 PM
I have a Blue in my Pierson Tweed Champ and it's sweet. If I ever get a Tweed Deluxe (and I will), I'll make sure to put a Celestion Blue in that too.

Craftmatic
03-27-2010, 11:17 PM
I have the Weber 12A125-O on the way which I believe the Tungsten T12Q is based on, 20watt, light dope, straight "R" cone. I've used Celestion Blue, Gold, and Jensen RI P12Q in my tweed deluxe. All sounded good, but none really sounded like what I have heard from the original 50's amps. After reading the Premier Guitar review of the Tungsten T12Q I decided I was just using the wrong speaker.

Can you point me to the the Premier Guitar review of the Tungsten T12Q? Are you saying that the Tungsten T12Q is the wrong speaker? Sorry I have gear dyslexia.....:crazy

mbratch
03-28-2010, 05:16 AM
I've tried 12F150, reissue Jensen C12N, Celestion Blue, and 12A125A. My preference is 12A125A.

goodsal
03-28-2010, 05:20 AM
How is the 12a125a different/better than the 12a125? Does anyone know if it's louder? I've found the 12a125 too inefficient to gig with.

aboutdrill
03-28-2010, 07:26 AM
Can you point me to the the Premier Guitar review of the Tungsten T12Q? Are you saying that the Tungsten T12Q is the wrong speaker? Sorry I have gear dyslexia.....:crazy

Go to the Tungsten amps website and look on the speaker page. There is a link to the review there.

Adam is a great guy and he knows the 5E3 inside and out. When I got my Cortez I was blown away and the T12Q is a great speaker.

Don't laugh but I tried the T12Q with my Marshall style amp and I liked it way more then all the Celestions I had tried before. I even ordered a couple 30 watt versions for it. The T12Q feels like it is connected directly to my guitar.

DavidS
03-29-2010, 11:55 AM

No, after reading the PG review I thought I had been using the wrong type of speaker and that the Tungsten T12Q sounded like it was the right speaker for what I wanted. Sorry for the confusion.

Catmouth
04-09-2010, 10:38 PM
I am going to come to a point where I want to try a new speaker in my 5e3. The honeymoon isn't over yet and the stock speaker isn't even broken in. It is a ceramic and I am sure i want to try alnico unless this thing breaks in like no other lol. Most people seem to love the Blue. What makes it so much better, being as its about 3 times the price of most the other speakers? No one ever tells why they like it better. I would love to have someone a/b some of these speakers and tonally rate them. I don't mind paying for the best, I just wondered what it was about that speaker. I wouldn't want my tweed to sound anything like a British amp.

mbratch
04-10-2010, 05:11 AM
How is the 12a125a different/better than the 12a125? Does anyone know if it's louder? I've found the 12a125 too inefficient to gig with.I think one is a little brighter than the other (?). If you send a note to the Weber people they'll give you a detailed answer.

For a more giggable speaker, you could try a 12A150* family speaker. I like the 12A125A because it works well in my particular gig situation where it's mic'ed and fairly close by.

Handleman09
05-27-2010, 05:02 PM
I have a Celestion Blue in my Victoria 20112 and it is pretty sweet sounding, and seems to boost the mid range, and give a darker quality to it. It definitely gives more clean headroom also, and it is ridiculous how loud it is, ridiculous. I have never heard a louder 15 watt amp in my life. To be honest, I love the amp, but it's almost too loud for what I am using it for. Plus I love the fact that the amp is so light and small.

The one main complaint I have about the amp, is that the volume goes from nothing to really loud so quickly. Is that common for these amps?

golfnutt67
05-27-2010, 08:34 PM
Here is another plug for the Weber 12A125 I have the 30w no dope and love it :)

falconer
05-27-2010, 10:48 PM
Here is another plug for the Weber 12A125 I have the 30w no dope and love it :)

Same specs, but the 12A125A was my choice.

bluesjuke
05-28-2010, 01:44 AM
The one main complaint I have about the amp, is that the volume goes from nothing to really loud so quickly. Is that common for these amps?

Yes, that's inherent in a 5E3.

DavidS
05-28-2010, 08:08 AM
I went from the C Blue to a 12A125-O, 20watt, light dope, trying to get closer to the sound of a vintage Tweed Deluxe. The volume drop was dramatic, but it sure is sweet sounding. Breaks up way faster and sounds much less Marshally. Also, the volume control seems to have a smoother taper than it did with the Blue for whatever reason.

wrxplayer
05-28-2010, 08:23 AM
I have a Weber Alnico Blue 30 watt speaker in a loud Schreyer Audio 5e3 and it sounds great. A bit more grit/earlier breakup than the ceramic RI Jensen that came in the amp.

Handleman09
05-28-2010, 09:32 AM
Regarding my Vic 20112 with the Celestion Blue. I haven't even had many opportunities to dial it in, because I live in a small apartment, and have only taken it to a few jams. I play a semi hollow G&L ASAT Classic Bluesboy, and want to get a nice even tone, but on the bright-side. It seems that this amp is inherently darker? Is that typical? Any tips (channel bridging) that anyone has, that will give a bright tone, without being harsh? So far I have played only in the Bright #1 channel.

teXum
05-28-2010, 01:24 PM
My take on this (I've posted this before, it seems) is that it is somewhat surprising that some people talk about the Celestion Blue and the Jensen-type speakers as they are somewhat interchangable. Of course, in a sense they are, however, they DO change/affect the sound of the amp a lot. The Blue has a lot more mids, and make the clean sound of a tweed sound a bit congested/boxy TO MY EARS. However, it sound more punchy and very creamy when driven, and also has a very nice low end.

But to me, tweeds already has enough mids, and I feel that Jensen type speakers complement those amps best. Classic, indeed.

Mapleneck
05-28-2010, 01:36 PM
I loved the Celestion Blue I had in my Mission 5E3 for a long time. I might put it back in just for a change of pace. But I wouldn't consider it the best speaker for a tweed deluxe, unless you are trying to make the amp sound way brighter, way cleaner, and way louder than it normally would be.

One day I got a great deal on a Weber sig Alnico and it sounds great in a 5E3! At about 1/10th the price of a new blue it was one of those rare times I didn't get what I paid for. That speaker sounds VERY authentic in the 5E3, and gives up what the 5E3 is famous for, and at a much more suitable volume. Plus I always worry about blowing the 15 watt Blue in a Deluxe. I know the amp is rated liberally and the speaker is rated conservatively, but there still isn't enough slack there to blast loudly with confidence night after night. It would suck to blow a $350 speaker.

sfarnell
05-28-2010, 01:40 PM
I like a vintage Jensen P12N

Shiny McShine
05-28-2010, 01:48 PM
One more vote for a Celestion blue. Nothing else comes close... and it still sounds like a tweed deluxe.

<M

That's what I'm using and I like it a lot (in a Clark Beaufort). Very big sounding too. However, I recently tried the stock Fender speaker that was in their 57 Deluxe and it sounded very good. Both are well into the greatness.

pbradt
05-28-2010, 05:45 PM
If I were buying a current-issue speaker for a 5E3, I'd buy this (http://w.mawebcenters.com/midwestspeaker/ecommerce/guitar-speakers/v-o-r).

tinkercity
05-28-2010, 06:25 PM
If I were buying a current-issue speaker for a 5E3, I'd buy this (http://w.mawebcenters.com/midwestspeaker/ecommerce/guitar-speakers/v-o-r).

Interesting. What is this speaker?

Sean French
05-28-2010, 06:41 PM
Regarding my Vic 20112 with the Celestion Blue. I haven't even had many opportunities to dial it in, because I live in a small apartment, and have only taken it to a few jams. I play a semi hollow G&L ASAT Classic Bluesboy, and want to get a nice even tone, but on the bright-side. It seems that this amp is inherently darker? Is that typical? Any tips (channel bridging) that anyone has, that will give a bright tone, without being harsh? So far I have played only in the Bright #1 channel.

Yes, a 5E3 is a dark amp.Bright #1 input and put the tone knob on 11.:aok
I run my Vicky like that with my Tele and humbucker guitars.

bluesjuke
05-28-2010, 07:03 PM

In my Vicky 20112 I have the Jensen P12Q RI and keep my tone set at about 6 and it is plenty bright at that setting.

My Clark is much darker. To get about the same brightness on that with it's P12N RI the tone is set around 10.

DeaconBlues
05-31-2010, 04:03 PM
I've tried the Celestion Blue(twice) in the 5E3, and other amps. I really wanted to like it, but the reality is the Cel. Blue is a heavy in the mid range speaker and the 5E3 is a heavy in the mid range amp. It really doesn't do the amp or speaker proper justice.
Weber 12A125's and Jensen P12Q's sound the best in this amp, period. I've never been much of a fan of the Jensen RI's, but the P12Q isn't all that bad in a 5E3. Certainly a better choice than the Celestion Blue. The Weber signature series alnico S is also an acceptable speaker for the 5E3.

pbradt
05-31-2010, 07:21 PM
Interesting. What is this speaker?
An alnico speaker, great in a 5E3. I've tried it and I'd use it if my emis blew up.

Craftmatic
02-07-2012, 11:23 AM
Tungsten T12Q. I love this speaker. I have one in my Tungsten Cortez. When I first played through that speaker I realized I wasn't a Celestion guy.

I have been using an Eminence Wizard in my 5E3 clone because I bought the amp without a speaker and I had the Wizard laying around. According to the chart on the Eminence site (at least the last time I looked at it) this was the most efficient and loudest speaker they made, at 103 db sensitivity rating. Consequently this amp is too loud to play at the "sweet spot" at the clubs/bars I play at so I am considering the Tungsten T12Q. I spoke to Adam Palow of Tungsten amps and he said the sensitivity rating of the T12Q was around 98 db making it far less effecient and far less loud. I would also hope that it would be a tonal improvement as well.

Craftmatic
02-08-2012, 07:02 AM
i am thinking an eminence wizard might be nice in the tweed deluxe. its got those nice, glassy highs that a tweed amp cound benefit from. i play mostly overdriven and cleans with a bit of hair. also, b/c of both its aggressive overdriven nature, and nice 3-d top end presence, i was also thinking about governors.

am i an idiot?

Definitely not. I was thinking of replacing the Wizard in my 5E3 clone with a more traditional, less efficient Jensen style speaker but after last night I decided the Wizard stays. I played at a funk jam at a bar with a drummer, bassist and one other guitarist playing a Strat through an Egnator Rebel piggy back and my Baja was turned all the way up and the 5E3 was on 3 on the high input on the bright channel and I was just loud enough to be heard. The amp was far from being too loud. Without the Wizard I wouldn't have even been heard and we weren't playing very loud to begin with.

JackD
02-22-2012, 03:36 PM
I like a vintage Jensen P12N

I know this is an old post, but I was just talking to an amp builder I've worked with. He RAVED about the vintage P12N in these amps. He said the low end and touch sensitivity was much better than the Q or the R

Desena
02-22-2012, 03:44 PM
I'm running a Weber Blue Dog Alnico/ Weber Silver Bell Alnico in my Double Tweed Deluxe (SDG Vintage Amps- Austin Double Tweed). Great speaker combo. Very happy with it. This is the speaker combo Brad Paisley uses. Mine are 8ohm wired parallel for 4ohms.

neils
02-22-2012, 05:08 PM
Regarding the Tungsten T12 speaker and others like a 12A125A Weber that are supposed to really rock in a 5E3.

The 5E3 must be a really dark amp cause trying those speakers with my Emery Superbaby was an exercise in how to split an ear. Holy sh&t were they bright. Not fair to try them in a non 5E3 I guess.

I found the T12Q on eBay used for cheap. I still have it cause I will have a 5E3 one day. Kinda gotta. Right now my tweed itch is scratched by a Tweed Bassman LTD rewired to a true 5F6A circuit. I STILL want to try a 5E3 though. Got the speaker part down pat.!

Neil

thosk
02-22-2012, 05:23 PM
A well broken-in Weber Sig12AS. Smooth, sweet, and cheap.

bluuzguy
06-10-2012, 07:47 PM
Cox Ultimate 5e3 came w/Weber 12A125.Celestion Blue Alnico now provides the Best Tones I could hope for! Much louder,and pedal tolerant.Gibby Les Paul Jr.,Fulltone OCD v2,WoW!

Sleepless
12-19-2012, 10:44 AM
I have tried a Weber Sig 12S, a Weber 12A125A and a VOR in my 5E3 and the VOR is to me the clear winner. These things just plain sing right out of the box. They just seem to be well broken in already without a single hour of playing them.
Give them a try you'll thank me!

freaksho
12-19-2012, 12:09 PM
Zombie Thread!

neils
12-19-2012, 07:25 PM
VOR? Don't know that one. 'Splain

Neil

DT7
12-19-2012, 07:35 PM
VOR? Don't know that one. 'Splain

Neil

Voice Of Rock

http://www.midwestspeaker.com/vor.html

Great Jensen P12R and P8R clones. I have a VOR P8R in a Champ that sounds great...not hard to believe the P12R sounds equally good.

Brad166
12-19-2012, 07:38 PM
A well broken-in Weber Sig12AS. Smooth, sweet, and cheap.

YES SIR!!!!!! This is what I was going to say. I built a Mission 5E3 a few years back. Went through a few speakers and when this one when it......it stayed jack!!!

DT7
12-19-2012, 07:49 PM
YES SIR!!!!!! This is what I was going to say. I built a Mission 5E3 a few years back. Went through a few speakers and when this one when it......it stayed jack!!!

Agreed. It would be seriously tough to get more bang for your buck out of a guitar speaker.

neils
12-20-2012, 05:36 PM
I have a Vic 20112 now. It has a P12Q in it. I also have an empty Clark Beaufort cab with a Celestion G12H30 in it.

Tried the Vic plugged in the G12. Really really nice. Louder, tighter and cleaner. Still has the 5E3 charm but less ragged. Big full thick sound.

I also have a Tungsten T12Q to try.

Neil

MRscratch
12-20-2012, 06:12 PM
i put a gold in my 20112. Done.

skhan007
01-06-2013, 07:50 AM
Looking into buying my first 5E3 now. I really liked the Jensen p12q and see that there are several other suggestions on this thread (weber 12a125a, 12AS, VOR, Emi Texas Heat, Tungsten T12q) and the list goes on and on! Like others, I'm not looking for a British speaker. I have plenty of those and would be looking for the American style for a the 5E3. This thread is a great resource!

Sleepless
01-06-2013, 07:55 AM
Get a VOR and you'll thank me, honestly. I put VORs in all my tweeds now: Deluxe, Champ, Bassman, Super. They do the job 100%. And they sound awesome right out of the box without any breaking-in time. Now add the breaking-in time and they are fabulous!

neils
01-06-2013, 08:15 AM
Had a great Jam last night up against far louder amps. I had a Weber 12F150B in the 20112 Vic.

Normally this is a BF Deluxe speaker. The "B" stands for British and it has a different cone etc. REALLY good in a 5E3.

Louder than a Jensen Alnico. A little tighter, less bass flub. No fizzes on top.

Neil

neils
01-06-2013, 08:20 AM
I just looked up the VOR speaker. 93db. Not very loud if you need loud.

The Jensen and Tungsten speakers are 95db and they wouldn't have been heard at the jam I was at last night. I used a 100db speaker, a Celestion Blue is 103db, even louder.

For home use or more moderated situations I'd say hell yes to VOR.

Neil

skhan007
01-06-2013, 09:09 AM
Not very loud is exactly what I need! I'm not gigging or anything. Just playing at home.

bluetweed
01-06-2013, 12:35 PM
I have had a VOR in my Beaufort for about 3 weeks. At first it sounded like a blanket over the amp and then about 2-3 hours in, opened right up. Its a really good speaker that I think is going to sound good at breaking up as well. Right now the cleans are better than any Weber except the T12N. The distortion is farting and buzzing sometimes on the Low E but that has improved a little this week. Think in about 20 hours this speaker will have it all.
Ps If I want more headroom which I don't I will put the EJ1250 back in. I like being able to push the amp a little harder with the VOR and being near the dirty/clean line. The Clarks seem to have more headroom and take longer to give it up.

skhan007
01-06-2013, 02:33 PM
Regarding the Jensen p12q, which I believe is the stock speaker in the hand-wired reissues and perhaps used widely with clones, are there any negatives associated with this speaker? I played one yesterday (newer Fender 5e3) and I thought the speaker was spot-on. Really nice response, great clean bounce & spank, and really good overdrive. Just curious if folks have had problems with the p12q over time or is it reliable for the long-haul?

Brien
01-06-2013, 04:24 PM
Regarding the Jensen p12q, which I believe is the stock speaker in the hand-wired reissues and perhaps used widely with clones, are there any negatives associated with this speaker? I played one yesterday (newer Fender 5e3) and I thought the speaker was spot-on. Really nice response, great clean bounce & spank, and really good overdrive. Just curious if folks have had problems with the p12q over time or is it reliable for the long-haul?

I like the clean tone of the Jensen P12Q, but they tend to get flubby at higher volumes and don't take od pedals well. ymmv

Echoplexi
01-06-2013, 04:29 PM
I have a Celestion Blue in my 58' 5e3 and I think it sounds great. When I bought it the previous owner had an old Celestion blackback in there and I actually thought that sounded cool too. Enough for me to buy it obviously.

Hulakatt
01-06-2013, 08:08 PM
Not very loud is exactly what I need! I'm not gigging or anything. Just playing at home.

That;s what I do with my 5e3 most of the time too and I have yet to find a speaker I like better than the Weber Sig12A. It may be one of the least efficient speakers I've tried. Of course, when the 5e3 does make to a gig it sounds fantastic!

bluesjuke
01-06-2013, 09:29 PM

I've been using my Victoria 20112 with the P12Q RI in it hard for over 6 years now. It's taken every pedal I've thrown at it very well.
Where I live I can play loud, and I do.

I love the OD sounds I get and really have no complaints about the bottom end at all.

bluetweed, I have a Clark Beaufort as well and yes, they do take longer "to give it up".

PGLive
04-03-2013, 02:56 PM
I just bought a 5e3 head version and surprise to hear Celstions BLues are recommended for this type of amp. I like dirt but later, thus, was looking at a Weber12a150. Am I on the right track or would a blue work?

JeffreyC
08-09-2013, 10:50 AM
Bumping this for current suggestions. I've had a blue in mine for a while and pretty happy, but curious about other speakers.

Lewguitar
08-09-2013, 11:29 AM
I have a Celestion Blue in my 58' 5e3 and I think it sounds great. When I bought it the previous owner had an old Celestion blackback in there and I actually thought that sounded cool too. Enough for me to buy it obviously.

That's the one to get. Or if you can find a real '58 Jensen P12Q with the original cone.

wyatt
08-09-2013, 11:52 AM
That's the one to get. Or if you can find a real '58 Jensen P12Q with the original cone.

Yeah, I have one of those, mine is boomy, shakes the hell out of the whole cabinet.

Going back to a Celestion-style alnico. My '60 used a real Vox silver alnico.

Polynitro
08-09-2013, 01:29 PM
weber 12a125a sounds like a tweed deluxe to me...the only other Ive tried was a WHS et65-not a good match

Id like to try a celest blue if I had $300 to blow on a speaker....that gets many rave reviews.
these amps are weird in that speakers and/or tubes makes a huge impact on tone. probably because its such a simple circuit.