PDA

View Full Version : Pedal for Warren Haynes sound?

Goldstrat
06-06-2006, 10:05 AM
Any suggestions for a pedal that can help me get that fat singing stinging sound Warren gets? I have a 61 reissue SG and an 18 watt Marshall clone made by Bumbox. I get great sound now but want fatter sustain. Maybe I should try some WCR pickups. Thanks for any suggestions!

esoteric pete
06-06-2006, 10:08 AM
WCR's wouldnt hurt....but id say get yerself a klon.

msp
06-06-2006, 10:11 AM
Any suggestions for a pedal that can help me get that fat singing stinging sound Warren gets? I have a 61 reissue SG and an 18 watt Marshall clone made by Bumbox. I get great sound now but want fatter sustain. Maybe I should try some WCR pickups. Thanks for any suggestions!

klon

Warren uses a klon i have been told....good luck get ready to speand tons of money and then ....

you wait...

Guy from Idaho
06-06-2006, 10:35 AM

WCR's wouldn't be a good use for your money, IMO. They're ok pups but I sold the ones I owned quickly, I thought they were kind of nasal and hi-fi and definitely not fat. FWIW, I don't believe Warren uses 'em either. Plain-jane 59's or 57 classics or BB's should get you there. Pedalwise, Klon's probably a logical choice, other contenders might be Reezafratzitz, Varidrive, or Mosferatu... problem I find is that the latter are all nice and fat and suitably dark, but hard to get that "sting" at the same time... fwiw, -GFI

pacomc79
06-06-2006, 02:26 PM
well I think Warren has a modded Soldano SLO.

Why not try a Supercharger?

Ultimately crank it up loud and use something to kick it over the top and smooth it out.

todd richman
06-06-2006, 02:35 PM
Warren uses his modded SLO-100 with a Klon. Do a search for the video of his tech Brian Farmer in the studio making the new ""High and Mighty" record form a few months ago-I know musictoyz had it up also. Framer takes you through Warren's entire Bradshaw rack which includes a Klon(gold one from the early days), a Diaz Texas Ranger Treble Booster, grey Fuzz Face which is apparently not used to often, plus an Emma Discombobulator, Chandler SDE, HK Rotosphere, CAE Super Tremolo, Boss OC-2 and a Cry Baby. Very cool to watch the video as Farmer also shows you a few choice ES-335's that Warren was using to record-a cherry '61 and a natural '60. Plus Firebirds and Les Pauls. I believe that Warren uses Burstbuckers, a Pearly Gates and a few Duncan Custom Shop pickups plus Antiquities. Hope this helps.

DJLantz444
06-06-2006, 02:45 PM
Speaking Diaz, I spoke to Pete from Diaz the other day after one of my high school jazz band concerts., he liked my playing I guess. He asked what I used (RC Booster). Then he told me to come over sometime and he'd give me "one of his boosts."

Hm, guess I'll have to get over there.

haslar
06-06-2006, 02:49 PM
I own a '70 Marshall Superlead, a '75 4x12" w/G12M25s, and a '58 Historic Lester.
The guitar has a set of WCR Darkburst as well as a premium RS kit.

I once used a Supercharger GTO, and it did indeed get me in the Haynes ballpark. It was a tad noisy, though.

I now use a Xotic BB Preamp, and I really get a nice, fat, stinging sound that is extremely close to the sound Warren has on recent Mule recordings.

Overall I much prefer the BB to the GTO.

20forSeven
06-07-2006, 12:45 AM
The Lovepedal Eternty can give you good Warren Haynes sounds. It will definately give you his great sustain and the balls of his soldano. However if you want one of his grittier sounds the OCD can give you that super harmonic overdrive he uses but not really the sustain of his rig.

lv
06-07-2006, 06:36 AM
Get a Landgraff MOD. Switch in upper position, neck humbucker. Nothing will get you closer in a pedal I have tried the GTO, and countless others. The MO'D is expensive, but if you want that tone that's the pedal that will do it. To get even closer you need a Les Paul and a Soldano. DOn't bother with the Klon, it is a great pedal, but is not the core of his sound. If you already had the Les Paul and an SLO, then get the Klon.

Calloway
06-07-2006, 04:03 PM
Hey Jim! Trying to get that Haynes tone huh? When my Bumbox was at 30 watts I was using a Fulltone Fulldrive and it was certainly a ballpark sound. It certainly had all the gain and thick sustain that makes Warren wonderful, I'm sure there are certainly holes in this formula, but it worked for me.

Sweet T
06-08-2006, 07:18 AM
You also think about how f-ing loud Warren plays. He's got both power tube saturation and the preamp gain going, along with the klon and whatever else he has in his rack.

analogjunkie
06-08-2006, 07:40 AM
You also think about how f-ing loud Warren plays. He's got both power tube saturation and the preamp gain going, along with the klon and whatever else he has in his rack.

i think he has some GAY all over his rack...:puh

wonder whos job he will steal next year.. or whos band he will con his way into.. maybe warren should eat a salad or skip a meal or something...

johan
06-08-2006, 08:11 AM
? huh ?

todd richman
06-08-2006, 08:46 AM
Looks like we might have another H-C exile. Warren has got to be one of the most toneful and talented classic rock/jam guitar players ever. His playing is incredible and even better is that he is a super nice guy-I met him before a Bros. show a few years back and it was a highlight of my "rockstar" meet and greets over the years. Maybe the poster should try a salad himself!

GuitarNorton
06-08-2006, 09:11 AM
Looks like we might have another H-C exile. Warren has got to be one of the most toneful and talented classic rock/jam guitar players ever. His playing is incredible and even better is that he is a super nice guy-I met him before a Bros. show a few years back and it was a highlight of my "rockstar" meet and greets over the years. Maybe the poster should try a salad himself!

Couldn't agree more except maybe he needs an enema

Franklin
06-08-2006, 09:35 AM

I totally agree. I've met him several times and he is always gracious. He has helped a lot of people out in the industry just because he is in the position to be able to.

mule73
06-08-2006, 02:23 PM
You buddy, are a douchebag. Take your spew back to H-C.

Calloway
06-08-2006, 02:39 PM
i think he has some GAY all over his rack...:puh

wonder whos job he will steal next year.. or whos band he will con his way into.. maybe warren should eat a salad or skip a meal or something...

Whose job did he steal? Rob Borraco? Herring quit Phil and Friends as well as The Dead, and Dickey was long gone before Warren came back. Same with Jack Pearson, the way I see it, he's keeping some of my favorite bands together by spreading himself so thin. He may not be my favorite player, but he is a big part in keeping together two bands that I really enjoy in the ABB and The Dead, not to mention Gov't Mule kicks ass.

msp
06-08-2006, 05:01 PM
Whose job did he steal? Rob Borraco? Herring quit Phil and Friends as well as The Dead, and Dickey was long gone before Warren came back. Same with Jack Pearson, the way I see it, he's keeping some of my favorite bands together by spreading himself so thin. He may not be my favorite player, but he is a big part in keeping together two bands that I really enjoy in the ABB and The Dead, not to mention Gov't Mule kicks ass.

ditto on that my brotha

well stated

JMintzer
06-08-2006, 07:30 PM
Knock off the crap. Discuss the pedals all you want. Keep the other stuff off line.

Jamie

big mike
06-08-2006, 07:30 PM
Allright folks. Let's not stoop to troll levels.

Don't feed the troll, and they eventually leave.:MMM

Sorry Jamie, posted at the same time.

Gibsonchild
06-08-2006, 08:16 PM
Someone mentioned the Eternity earlier. That's exactly what I'm using it for these days. It's got plenty of gain, loads of sustain and you can dial in some bite w/ the treble boost/tone knob. get's my vote.

I would like to try the GTO anyway. I can always use it as a weapon or a boat in a pinch.

Goldstrat
06-09-2006, 07:36 AM
What's up Calloway?

I agree with everything you said! I'm also still loving the Lead 12. I'm just on a pedal binge lately. Take Care and tell Nate Hello!

Ian S
06-26-2006, 05:37 PM
Goldstrat,

Nate from Bumbox is working on a couple new pedals. Check the sound clips on the website. They're all on bread boards now, but they really blew me away (even w/o pots). They saturate kinda like Haynes. I really like the second one... ask Calloway.