PDA

View Full Version : What Is The Best Clean Boost

ahltarocka
06-22-2006, 08:36 PM
I am interested in finding out what the best clean boost pedal is. When I play smaller venues I use a 60 watt transitior head through my Mesa Boogie 12 inch bottom. Sometimes it is not strong enough. I don't want to overdrive the amp, I want to have the ability to boost the signal cleanly. I have heard that the following pedals would do the job: Super Picoso chile, Fulltone Fat Boost, Barber Launch Pad, Keeley Katana, SHO . Not looking to spend a lot of bucks. Anyone have opinions on the aforementioned and other suggestions.

Thanks for your help!!!

:RoCkIn ROCKOUT AND ROCKON
Ahltarocka

rastaman
06-22-2006, 08:57 PM
The Legendary Tone/Robert Keeley Time Machine Boost

Trandy
06-22-2006, 09:06 PM
<putting on flame suit before posting this...>

Had a Klon because it was supposed to be the best clean boost you could buy.

But I liked my Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster better....so I sold the Klon. :eek:

<ducking...>

r9player
06-22-2006, 09:17 PM
I guess we have these threads about once a week :D My answer SPF Ego Booster pristine clean boost. Getting a Dreamtone FX Magic Boost soon so who knows I might change my opinion.

theelectic
06-22-2006, 09:32 PM
You have a transistor amp. If you crank that sucker to the loudest it will go and it's STILL not loud enough, a boost pedal will not help.

Thor
06-22-2006, 09:33 PM
<putting on flame suit before posting this...>

Had a Klon because it was supposed to be the best clean boost you could buy.

But I liked my Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster better....so I sold the Klon. :eek:

<ducking...>

Good for you - isn't really all about tone? Despite the big name and its hoards of fans, the Klon is not for everyone/every rig. As an added bonus you end up with some extra ca$h in you pocket - ain't nothing wrong with that! :BEER (beers on Tim!)

Thor
06-22-2006, 09:38 PM
Clean boost - I like the Lift from /13 that is built into the Switchazel. It is available as a seperate pedal as well. Not cheap, but not outrageous either.
http://www.dividedby13.com/accessories.html

Cheers,

Ed

radcliff
06-22-2006, 09:54 PM
+1 for the RC Booster

Realfi
06-22-2006, 10:05 PM
Phew, here we go again!

I really like my RC Booster for very transparent, un-hyped and controllable boosting.

I also like my Klon for it's fatness.

The TIM and the Timmy can do a nice boosting job too but I prefer them as low-gain overdrives. Very versatile though.

I reckon' through some amps with certain guitars the Durham Sexdrive is killer although it was just a little bright with my AC30/Tele bridge pickup. I had the same experience with the Zvex stuff.

Moe45673
06-22-2006, 10:22 PM
I will give a hearty vouch for both the catalinbread SCP and SPP. The SPP will give you a touch more low end and more growl, the SCP will sharpen and fatten up your tone smartly.

Coach
06-22-2006, 10:32 PM
Eh Lbp-1

fernandopareta
06-22-2006, 10:38 PM
Rc booster is the bestĦĦĦ

Thazy
06-22-2006, 11:18 PM
Durham Sex Drive. Works very well with clean amps and as a booster for OD pedals. Lots of headroom too.

enickma
06-23-2006, 02:19 AM
You mentioned you wanted to boost the signal cleanly. Almost all the pedals mentioned will color your sound ... some more than others depending on the set up. There is nothing that will boost it cleaner than the Barber Lauch Pad. There is absolutley zero coloration of any kind to the signal. It's more trasparant than Casper the friendly Ghost

rewog
06-23-2006, 02:22 AM
You have a transistor amp. If you crank that sucker to the loudest it will go and it's STILL not loud enough, a boost pedal will not help.

Everyone seems to have ignored this... But it's a fact.
If the amp is fully cranked already, and you don't want to Overdrive it....
A Boost won't help your situation.

sandman
06-23-2006, 02:29 AM
I will give a hearty vouch for both the catalinbread SCP and SPP. The SPP will give you a touch more low end and more growl, the SCP will sharpen and fatten up your tone smartly.

nicely put.

+1 on SCP

Stressfest
06-23-2006, 02:39 AM
Phew, here we go again!

I really like my RC Booster for very transparent, un-hyped and controllable boosting.

I also like my Klon for it's fatness.

The TIM and the Timmy can do a nice boosting job too but I prefer them as low-gain overdrives. Very versatile though.

I reckon' through some amps with certain guitars the Durham Sexdrive is killer although it was just a little bright with my AC30/Tele bridge pickup. I had the same experience with the Zvex stuff.

Wot He Said :messedup

Thor
06-23-2006, 03:10 AM
Everyone seems to have ignored this... But it's a fact.
If the amp is fully cranked already, and you don't want to Overdrive it....
A Boost won't help your situation.

Good point - it sounds like if you really need more clean headroom, you don't need a new pedal - you need a new amp:jo

Stressfest
06-23-2006, 03:17 AM
How did i miss that one...the fact it's a tranny alone would be cause for concern.

Filter428
06-23-2006, 03:24 AM
nicely put.

+1 on SCP

+2 on the SCP but I also switch between my RGW Bad Bob, the RC Boost and a Prescription Germ. All excellent for the money.

dave s
06-23-2006, 06:30 AM
+1 for the RC Booster

I really like the RC Boost for a fairly clean boost. The only concern with my personal copy of the pedal is at full on volume, it only adds about 5db volume boost.

dave

radicool
06-23-2006, 09:05 AM
Another vote for the Barber Launch Pad. Very clean, and it does other things, if you want, besides boosting your signal. And it's pretty cheap.

Big Bob
06-23-2006, 09:18 AM
Transistor amps aside......

I like the RC and the Boostier. I've been thru some others like the SHO, Hotcake, Micro Amp, BB pre amp, DosMos, Timmy.....etc. I settled on those two. For now I'm done.

Bob

lgehrig4
06-23-2006, 09:25 AM
MY Lovepedal Balance does a good job. Starts to distort after about 1:00 on the dial, but pretty loud before that.

McSoappy
06-23-2006, 10:12 AM
The two obvious ones for me are the Klon, and the Xotic RC Booster. Both great and really transparent. However, I'm sure there would be more than one shocked person here when I say the T-Rex Moller OD. It's got two functions on it. OD and Clean Boost. The OD can be turned on and then the boost can drive the OD even more OR you can just use the boost function. Really great pedal.

hw2nw
06-23-2006, 10:14 AM
I am interested in finding out what the best clean boost pedal is. When I play smaller venues I use a 60 watt transitior head through my Mesa Boogie 12 inch bottom. Sometimes it is not strong enough. I don't want to overdrive the amp, I want to have the ability to boost the signal cleanly. I have heard that the following pedals would do the job: Super Picoso chile, Fulltone Fat Boost, Barber Launch Pad, Keeley Katana, SHO . Not looking to spend a lot of bucks. Anyone have opinions on the aforementioned and other suggestions.

Thanks for your help!!!

:RoCkIn ROCKOUT AND ROCKON
Ahltarocka

do a search...you'll find a lot of info on this subject

Troubleman
06-23-2006, 11:29 AM
Depending upon the situation, either an Xotic RC or my Super Chili Picoso. Both reside in my pedal board

jb

Franklin
06-23-2006, 12:14 PM
FWIW- my Mesa Boogie does not play well with my SHO....

R.D.
06-23-2006, 12:26 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I'd be a little nervous about "boosting" the front end of a solid state pre-amp.

I saw this on another thread, I don't know anything about it, but it might work ?

http://www.award-session.com/solobooster.html

catalinbread
06-23-2006, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the SCP/SPP love!

theelectic
06-23-2006, 12:34 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I'd be a little nervous about "boosting" the front end of a solid state pre-amp.

I saw this on another thread, I don't know anything about it, but it might work ?

http://www.award-session.com/solobooster.html
Nah, that's just a volume pot in a box. Set your highest sound, then turn the box on and turn down.

All of these suggestions are great but the bottom line is with a solid state amp, if it's not loud enough when cranked, it won't get any louder with a boost. At least not in a good sounding way. They're not like tube amps where you can goose the front end and get the tubes to distort (and seem louder) with a pleasing tone. Try to do that with a SS amp and you'll likely get:

a) hard, buzzy clipping, like a ZZZZZ sound, either from the preamp or the output stage

b) more gain (distortion) from the preamp, if it's not turned up as well

c) if the amp is well designed, it won't clip at all - some sort of built in limiter will kick in to protect the speakers (lots of Peavey amps have this.)

The other thing is, if your SS amp is a recent one, it likely uses some sort of chip as the output stage. A lot of amps run this chip right at the limits with barely enough heatsinking and protection. Push them even a bit too hard and poof!

McSoappy
06-23-2006, 12:35 PM
FWIW- my Mesa Boogie does not play well with my SHO....

I love Zvex stuff but Zach's SHO seems a little grainy and really heavy on the treble side of the EQ.

Moe45673
06-23-2006, 01:16 PM
I use my SCP and SPP with my solid state Marshall AVT. Works like a dream, whether with that amp or the tube amps I've played. I should add that turning the master volume up to 5 is the most level I've ever needed

S. Hawk Ltd.
06-23-2006, 01:23 PM
Man, a Fulltone FD II with the mini toggle in the CompCut mode works very well for me for a clean boost. I liked the first FD II (the blue one) a lot, that I bought a 10th Anniversary for the flat mids tones. The vintage tones are nice as well to me. Thanks for listening.

matchless1069
06-23-2006, 08:42 PM
My vote for clean boost:
Lovepedal deluxe 60
ZVex Super duper

wouldn't use them with a tranny though

McSoappy
06-26-2006, 06:54 AM
HAO Rust Booster II.

Also a pedal that definitely should not be overlooked is the HAO Rumble Mod switched to Boost Mode. I might like that as much.

Looks like we've got a Godlyke fan!:JAM

Stressfest
06-26-2006, 08:03 AM
I can't believe no one has mentioned the king of all clean boosts yet?? Let's hear it for the Turbo RAT :) LOL

theelectic
06-26-2006, 08:29 AM
I use my SCP and SPP with my solid state Marshall AVT. Works like a dream, whether with that amp or the tube amps I've played. I should add that turning the master volume up to 5 is the most level I've ever needed

You've got two things working for you there: (1) actual 12AX7 tube in the preamp, which will eventually clip hard but it still takes high level signals better than a transistor ("better" in a musically pleasing sense), (2) amp is not cranked, so you still have plenty of headroom, both in the preamp and poweramp.

OK just in case anyone else with a solid state amp tries to crank their amp and run a boost in front to test for distortion: BE CAREFUL! You can easily blow your speakers or damage your amp.

spentron
06-26-2006, 10:49 AM
Most who warn against overdriving a solid state amp don't seem to have actually tried it (Of course, do so only at your own risk). Like with tube amps, power stage distortion can make for the most natural type of distortion. It varies temendously though. The worst sound that can happen is not a harshness but a weird chalky muddiness. I think this is worst with amps that use a "bootstrap" configuration. Another aspect is that with some amps the preamp distortion will still sound better, and power stage distortion will then mainly result in a loss of oomph (e.g. Fender Frontman 15R and Guitar Research T64RS2). A surprising thing I've seen is simple power attenuators making SS sound better where with tubes they almost always sound worse, probably because they can use some series resistance to the speaker.

Amps I've tried:
Sunn Studio lead -- great but too loud without attenuation.
Peavey Mynx (12") -- not bad
Univox "A" line 15 watt -- terrible awful clean but better distorted
Vox 15 watt (old 10" practice amp) & Ampeg bass practice amp 10" (old) -- great clean -- good speakers -- but chalk out when cranked.
Unicord Stage 400 210 -- excellent just past threshold of distortion, chalk past
Acoustic 150 -- excellent with bass, questionable with guitar
Kustom tuck and roll types, Univox "A" line "210 watt" -- poor

Back to the original question, I do make a nice clean boost.

johneeeveee
06-26-2006, 10:58 AM
i dig the Xotic RC Booster... super transparent and has a hint of compression that just plain makes everything sound better. i never turn mine off.
peace - jv

clothwiring
06-26-2006, 11:07 AM
Right now I'm running a Catalinbread SCP and have an Xotic RC Booster on order. Can't wait to try out the RC Booster.

ahltarocka
07-03-2006, 04:26 PM
Most who warn against overdriving a solid state amp don't seem to have actually tried it (Of course, do so only at your own risk). Like with tube amps, power stage distortion can make for the most natural type of distortion. It varies temendously though. The worst sound that can happen is not a harshness but a weird chalky muddiness. I think this is worst with amps that use a "bootstrap" configuration. Another aspect is that with some amps the preamp distortion will still sound better, and power stage distortion will then mainly result in a loss of oomph (e.g. Fender Frontman 15R and Guitar Research T64RS2). A surprising thing I've seen is simple power attenuators making SS sound better where with tubes they almost always sound worse, probably because they can use some series resistance to the speaker.

Amps I've tried:
Sunn Studio lead -- great but too loud without attenuation.
Peavey Mynx (12") -- not bad
Univox "A" line 15 watt -- terrible awful clean but better distorted
Vox 15 watt (old 10" practice amp) & Ampeg bass practice amp 10" (old) -- great clean -- good speakers -- but chalk out when cranked.
Unicord Stage 400 210 -- excellent just past threshold of distortion, chalk past
Acoustic 150 -- excellent with bass, questionable with guitar
Kustom tuck and roll types, Univox "A" line "210 watt" -- poor

Back to the original question, I do make a nice clean boost.

I am not looking to distort the amp. I just want the ability to play louder in a clean mode.

Ahltarocka

cheesey
07-03-2006, 04:36 PM
paul cochrane Tim is what i use , it gets me more of my already clean or edgy clean sounds, i use it for stones type rhythm tones like start me up and honkey tonk women. the best application i use it for the parts in floyds brick in the wall and i set the volume higher than usual when i go for that solo, its not a real gainy tone but real fat and joosy.

Leb
07-03-2006, 06:52 PM
Want a real clean boost, i wld say go for the RC booster!
It not only boosts, it also fattens up the tone! awesome pedal!
Its always switch on on my pedal board :D

datguytim
07-03-2006, 07:05 PM
Sex Drive. End of story. Kicked my SuperDuper 2in1 outta the board.

musickbox
07-03-2006, 10:52 PM
Luxury boost by T.C. Jauernig. It was $90 bux when I got it and it (to me) blew away the SHO (which was my first choice) in price and sound. I think its more expensive now, but if one shows up on ebay I would go for it. He also has a good customer service if you have questions. I also know guys who use it with solid state amps and are very pleased.

spentron
07-04-2006, 01:29 AM
Don't want to overdrive the amp ... sorry to hear that ;) but anyway ... the real question is what is the real problem? This amp does have a volume control, right? Potential scenarios:

1. when you turn up the volume further it distorts. You're out of amp. A possibility is a compressor could increase the average level but still not the peak (you'll need a real one not a Boss or other treble-sucker). Other ways of psychoacoustically increasing volume have to do with high end boost or soft distortion.
2. the volume won't go any further. Something is wrong.
3. when you turn up the volume further it gets muddy and loses high end. This is the brightness function around the volume control which doesn't work at max volume setting. A clean boost would actually help this situation but it would better to use an EQ to boost a bit and also allow the volume to be set a bit higher and EQ from that.

Lucidology
07-29-2008, 03:25 AM
Only some of the pedals here mentioned remain truly clean ....most do not ...

The RC booster always has a sweet touch of grit to it no matter what ...but clean it is not ...

McSoappy
07-29-2008, 06:55 AM
Only some of the pedals here mentioned remain truly clean ....most do not ...

The RC booster always has a sweet touch of grit to it no matter what ...but clean it is not ...

I've always loved my Klon, but it definitely isn't completely clean. Any "boost" pedal with a gain knob on it probably isn't...LOL!

I do think the Durham Electronics Sex Drive is probably my favorite clean boost pedal though.

eric-d
07-29-2008, 06:58 AM
I really like the Landgraff Booster. I did dig the RC Booster and the Katana also - but to my biased ears (because it's the only "clean" booster I own) - I really dig the Landgraff.

leftyaxeslinger
07-29-2008, 09:15 AM
I've been using a 2 knob Lovepedal Loudmouth for boost lately. I can add some extra dirt in there too if I want.

wc8485
07-29-2008, 10:40 AM
This will not color your tone, or overdrive your amp.

http://www.psionicaudio.com/main/lumos.htm

Provided you have an FX loop.

B_of_H
07-29-2008, 10:42 AM
I was using an orange squeezer clone for a boost last night and it sounded awesome. You have to dial away a lot of compression on the trim pot though.

earthtonesaudio
07-29-2008, 01:13 PM
If you want to "sound" louder but are already maxed out on headroom, try a compressor, like B of H said.

amz-fx
07-30-2008, 05:35 AM
Compressors are almost always more noisy than actual booster pedals so I prefer to go with a dedicated booster... :)

TIP: if you have a booster pedal that is not completely clean, as mentioned about the RC booster above, here is what you do... turn up the booster louder than you want the sound to be, then roll back on the guitar's volume knob. If it is still too gritty, turn up the booster some more and then roll back on the guitar volume again.

It may seem counterintuitive, but many booster pedals are running at full gain all the time... the gain knob on them is actually just a volume control at the end of the circuit, which reduces the output to the level of your choice.

For max headroom on a booster, turn its volume up all the way and then control the output level with your guitar volume knob. Note: this does not work on my Mosfet Booster (http://www.muzique.com/schem/mosfet.htm) or similar pedals that have variable gain, but it does work with the Mini-Booster (http://www.muzique.com/amz/mini.htm), LPB-1 and other boosters with an output volume pot.

regards, Jack