PDA

View Full Version : What's the best Tele pickup?

ttingley
06-29-2006, 02:10 PM
I recently had the privelage of recording with a rented '53 Telecaster. Needless to say it was amazing. Now I have to have a Tele. I can't afford $40,000 to buy a real deal early 50's tele but who makes a killer vintage tele bridge pickup? I've heard good things about suhr, fralin, and duncan antiquities.

Also, the neck pickup was exceedingly dark, what's the deal with that?

enharmonic
06-29-2006, 02:11 PM
Oh man...you're gonna get as many answers as there are options available. The Lollar/GVCG's are getting a lot of love these days.

Teahead
06-29-2006, 02:24 PM
I have Kinman Broadcasters in my US Std. Tele and while I wouldn't say the neck is dark, it's definitely warm and thick. Teles don't get jazz gigs for nothing!

Anyway, the Kinmans are excellent, a world of improvement over the stock pick ups.

Unburst
06-29-2006, 03:54 PM
I recently had the privelage of recording with a rented '53 Telecaster. Needless to say it was amazing. Now I have to have a Tele. I can't afford $40,000 to buy a real deal early 50's tele but who makes a killer vintage tele bridge pickup? I've heard good things about suhr, fralin, and duncan antiquities.

I would recommend Hamel, but the wait time is very long, so I'd suggest Fred Stuart Blackguards.

http://www.virtualvintageguitars.com/stuartcustomguitars0005.html

Also, the neck pickup was exceedingly dark, what's the deal with that?

If it had original wiring then the neck pos (i.e. the pup selector toward the bridge) has a tone rolloff cap to emulate a bass.
The middle pos is actually the neck pup, there is no "in between" pos on the early Teles.

Bonedance
06-29-2006, 05:01 PM
For early 50's Tele tones, Hamels, Lollars, Stuarts and Don Mare. Hamels get great press for tone, but negative press for wait time and communication.

Lollars are pure class and tone all the way and Jason is excellent on turn around time and communication.

Don Mare winds the 2324 Roy wraps and they are exceptional. Again, good turn around time and communication.

From what I've read about the Stuart blackguards, they are killer. Not sure on contact info though.

Tom Short gets very good reviews on his tele pups, but not much press.

MAGICboy
06-29-2006, 05:19 PM
Budz...

my favorites..

www.budzguitars.com (http://www.budzguitars.com)

oldtimer / telemaster ect.. :)

Brick
06-29-2006, 06:02 PM
Oh man...you're gonna get as many answers as there are options available.

trudat

The Lollar/GVCG's are getting a lot of love these days.
I'm loving mine.

Big, round and lively

El Jimbo
06-29-2006, 08:35 PM
Don Mare winds the 2324 Roy wraps and they are exceptional. Again, good turn around time and communication.

From what I've read about the Stuart blackguards, they are killer. Not sure on contact info though.

Tom Short gets very good reviews on his tele pups, but not much press.Anyone have contacts/links for these?

Pedro58
06-29-2006, 10:00 PM
For $40-50, get a Duncan Antiquity off Ebay. They're as good as anything. Seymour knows and plays Teles. His best designs, IMO, are for Telecasters. For the neck... who knows? I like the Harmonic Design pups. Slap those in any Tele with a big maple neck and you'll be good to go.

basscracker
06-29-2006, 10:44 PM
Anyone have contacts/links for these?

i'm looking into getting some blackguards for my nocaster.

http://www.virtualvintageguitars.com/stuartcustomguitars0005.html

longgonedaddy
06-29-2006, 11:27 PM
I'm very happy with my Fender Nocasters. They bumped the Bardens right out.

eric-d
06-30-2006, 12:26 AM
I love my Antiquities.....

Enjoyer
06-30-2006, 12:34 AM
Oh man...you're gonna get as many answers as there are options available. The Lollar/GVCG's are getting a lot of love these days.

+1 dat!

What he said.

I recommend Jason Lollar without hesitation.

I am a believer!

Prepare to be amazed and totally pleased.

DANOCASTER
06-30-2006, 12:40 AM
DUDE.. we have been thru this SO many times

The BEST TELE PICKUP is the one that sounds the best in YOUR guitar.. I had great p/ups that were OK in one guitar and KILLER in another.. ya gotta experiment

TRY :

Lollar , Hamel , Voodoo , Duncan Antiquity , Rolph

find em used and experiment

Probably NOT what you want to hear but just because a Voodoo KILLS in someone's tele doesnt mean it will in YOURS.. Take it from me - I've owned and / or built about 100 teles in the last 5 years.. I'm a tele FREAK

my .002

06-30-2006, 12:46 AM
IMO, the best Tele bridge pickup is the Fender No-caster, bar none.

chrisgraff
06-30-2006, 12:57 AM
If it's a vintage tele you're looking for, have Jeff Senn build one for you. They absolutely get there, and reasonably priced compared to some others.

Big Bob
06-30-2006, 11:33 AM
+1 on what Danocaster said. I have swapped tele pups (along with pots and caps etc.)from one guitar to another and gotten totally different sounds.

That said I have a Duncan Broadcaster pup from the early 70s that ain't ever commin out o my tele. I just don't see how it can get any better.

I really like the Muy Grande too for certain things.

Bob

analogmike
06-30-2006, 11:39 AM
I'm very happy with my Fender Nocasters. They bumped the Bardens right out.

I like those too, Jim Weider told me to get some for my Tele and they sound awesome.

Bonedance
06-30-2006, 11:55 AM
Anyone have contacts/links for these?

Don Mare is www.buckcannon.com (http://www.buckcannon.com) email is tonemagic@lycos.com

Tom Short is www.tomshortshandmadepickups.com (http://www.tomshortshandmadepickups.com)

I've also heard great things about David Plummers tele pups. I have not tried his tele pickups, but his buckers are top notch. His email is david.plummer@grubbellis.com

I keep hearing great things about bare knuckles pups also. They have several models of tele pups. Country Boy, ( ala ALbert Lee ) The Boss, ( ala Springsteen ) Brown Sugar, ( ala Keef ) Yardbird, ( Page/Beck ) Piledriver, ( ? ) Anyone have experience with these?

I am just freaked over the tele bridge pup Don wound for me. I keep waiting for the honeymoon to be over, but it continues to inspire.

clothwiring
06-30-2006, 12:11 PM
Don Mare is a super nice guy. I dealt with him last winter, I can't speak about his pickups though mine was a rewind. Kinman's are always cool, I run a pair of AVN 60s. I had a Broadcaster set in my Gigliotti but that guitar really needed Barden's. I love Barden's as well (in my Gigliotti GT Custom), they are bright and hot pickups but are a great compliment for a dark guitar. If you can, get yourself a set of the MIJ Esquire/Telecaster pickups from the 80s. I had an MIJ 1986 Esquire that had a great sounding pickup in it.

Thorr
06-30-2006, 04:13 PM
I hope i dont get flamed for this and i can tell we are going for a completely different sound but I have a Custom Tele routed for Humbuckers and i put bareknuckles in it. You could definetly look into them Tim is a great guy with awesome customer service, and he handwinds everything himself. . . if you listen to his soundclips on the site they are unreal. The guy can flat play, and it makes you feel better to buy from someone who can play like that. www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk (http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk) :AOK

esoteric pete
06-30-2006, 04:18 PM
i have lollars in my tele...a vintage neck, and a GVCG A5 in the bridge (thanks danocaster!) and they smoke. great pickups IMO, and apparently, in other peoples opinions too!

Strung Up
06-30-2006, 04:52 PM
Don Mare is www.buckcannon.com (http://www.buckcannon.com) email is tonemagic@lycos.com

. . . .

I am just freaked over the tele bridge pup Don wound for me. I keep waiting for the honeymoon to be over, but it continues to inspire.

+1 (or maybe: + 53)

twoheadedboy
06-30-2006, 04:59 PM
The Seymour Duncan Vintage for Broadcaster wins in my teleworld.

sanhozay
06-30-2006, 05:12 PM
I like a warm tele bridge with more growl than twang. I also like a more open & chimey sounding neck pickup.

Therefore, best as it occurs to me is:

GVCG/Lollars A3
Fralin Blues Specials
Suhr Broadcasters

S. Hawk Ltd.
07-01-2006, 12:04 AM
I got a 73, The stock pickups are very nice to me... SD wax potted the bridge for me few years ago for 5 bucks... For some fun and a little change in the bridge I really like the SD Broadcaster. That one has a gutsy tone to me. But the one I have in there now that will stay in for a while is a Duncan Jerry Donahue. Nice bite. real good Tele bridge tone. I am fond of the stock neck P/U except for the squealing at times... I need to get it wax potted. I've had a Duncan Alnico II Pro neck for years. Its warm & round sounding to me... Thanks for listening.

illinimax
07-01-2006, 12:08 AM
For $40-50, get a Duncan Antiquity off Ebay. They're as good as anything. Seymour knows and plays Teles. His best designs, IMO, are for Telecasters. For the neck... who knows? I like the Harmonic Design pups. Slap those in any Tele with a big maple neck and you'll be good to go.

Great advice. I've been unable to find a tele bridge pickup better than the antiquity.

KarlH
07-01-2006, 12:09 AM
Hamel. Period.

datguytim
07-01-2006, 12:24 AM
I played a Fralin Blues Special Tele neck PU in a Morgaine Austin Rocker - it was the most beautiful tele neck tone I've ever heard . . . you can't go wrong there.

Occam
07-01-2006, 03:05 AM
I love my pickup combination in my Tele....both Lollar's (special in the bridge, charlie christian in the neck).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/louderthangod/Tele2.jpg

Realfi
07-01-2006, 05:34 AM
I like a warm tele bridge with more growl than twang. I also like a more open & chimey sounding neck pickup.

Therefore, best as it occurs to me is:

GVCG/Lollars A3
Fralin Blues Specials
Suhr Broadcasters

I think I might be tending to agree after a day playing with Lollar GVCG pickups in my Tele. The bridge is more balanced than the stock pickup and a touch sweeter while the neck is clearer and more open making it much easier to EQ the amp to suit both.

Very impressed so far.

S. Hawk Ltd.
07-01-2006, 12:30 PM
I love my pickup combination in my Tele....both Lollar's (special in the bridge, charlie christian in the neck).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/louderthangod/Tele2.jpg

WOWOWOWOW!!!
Hey occam,
I love that paint job!!! And the pick gaurd to match... It just turns me on!
Some twenty years ago I bought my 'used' '73 it was the off white-ish color (I forget what it was called; blonde or something like that) that was turning dull and dingy and had a funky smell to it, (not kidding!)... I've since stripped the paint because of the smell... It is left it down to ash grain exposed waiting for a sample of a color scheme for it to turn up. YOURS is very pleasant to look at... Same guy paint the pickgaurd? Besides the cool way a Charlie Christian looks, I bet it sounds cool, too. And, I bet I'll get one real soon....

Loop-Master
07-01-2006, 12:37 PM
The Fender No-Caster set did it for me.