PDA

View Full Version : chorus before or after od?

Ed Reed
07-15-2006, 07:38 PM
Where is yours and why?

Serious Poo
07-15-2006, 08:47 PM
There's no right or wrong way - only what works for the sound you're trying to achieve. However... generally speaking, modulation effects are usually placed after preamp-related effects. If it helps, here's a link (http://forums.birdsandmoons.com/forum/showthread.php?p=251654#post251654)to a detailed BAM thread on effects placement. Good luck!

keith_t4e
07-15-2006, 09:00 PM
Guitar---OD, wah, modulation, ambient ie reverb delay etc. The eq can go anywhere. Compression should come first so everything else gets the good even signal. Any clean boost should come after that. Once I buy all my stuff it will look like this:

guitar--RC booster, OCD pedal, ABY either Framptone or George Lynch Tripler---wah, electric mistriss, fulltone chorolflange, line 6 DL4--Marshall JCM800 2203x.
Another guitar chord will go from Soldano Avenger to George Lynch Tripler and will remain dry. The 800 is wet.

The rule of thumb is compression, clean boost, distortion, wah, modulation, delay with eq going anywhere.

enickma
07-15-2006, 10:44 PM
Pretty much the same, but since I don't have any fuzz pedals, my wah goes first in the chain. Then compression, od, chorus, eq, delay, amp. I played around with the pedal arrangements aplenty, and this sounded the best to my ears. Once in a while I like a little chorus with distortion, and I liked the sound of the chorus coloring the distortion, rather than the distortion coloring the chorus

Traintrack
07-15-2006, 10:48 PM
I always compress last. I want the full signal to reach the compressor, not a compressed signal to be overdrivin'. Same with the Chorus, I want my Distorted sound to be effected by a chorus last.

All personal taste.

grego7
07-15-2006, 11:29 PM
Guitar---OD, wah, modulation, ambient ie reverb delay etc. The eq can go anywhere. Compression should come first so everything else gets the good even signal. Any clean boost should come after that. Once I buy all my stuff it will look like this:

guitar--RC booster, OCD pedal, ABY either Framptone or George Lynch Tripler---wah, electric mistriss, fulltone chorolflange, line 6 DL4--Marshall JCM800 2203x.
Another guitar chord will go from Soldano Avenger to George Lynch Tripler and will remain dry. The 800 is wet.

The rule of thumb is compression, clean boost, distortion, wah, modulation, delay with eq going anywhere.

That's interesting. I haven't seen a lot of people putting overdrive / distortion before wah. I always felt like it made the overall tone too narrow that way, but cool that it works for you!

And while I like chorus to go right before delay near the end of the chain, I've always preferred phasers to go before distortion.

Go figure.

rwe333
07-15-2006, 11:36 PM
Man... Chorus w/ overdrive mostly stinks - esp. if used for solos, IMHO. Can be OK for STP-type rhythm work... Find the pedal order that works for you (chorus before amps OD perhaps?).

JPenn
07-16-2006, 02:32 AM
Depends on what box it is. I have an old Series 10 Chorus, which has the same cheap case, jacks and knobs as the Arion. It also has that killer sound!! It sounds better in front of drive boxes (especially for a leslie sound) but I have a Boss Chorus that sounds better after my dirt.

I've got to get this S10 rehoused. It's just too killer to not be used.

Melodic Dreamer
07-16-2006, 05:30 AM
That's interesting. I haven't seen a lot of people putting overdrive / distortion before wah. I always felt like it made the overall tone too narrow that way, but cool that it works for you!

There is a certain guy by the name of Michael Landau who has always put od's before his wah, and his tone is......ummmmmm...... how do you say ............

Awesome!!!!

Ed Reed
07-16-2006, 05:40 AM
I bought an Arion SCH-Z and was fooling around with it and placing it before an OCD I was getting a cool Uni-Vibe thing going.

I tend to agree with the posters that said it depends on the unit and what tone your going for. It's great to break rules sometimes huh?

jops
07-16-2006, 06:01 AM
+1 chorus before od.

BC-9 before OD gives good vibe. Got some Robin Trower tones out of it the other day. Brilliant.

58lespaulman
07-16-2006, 07:06 AM
I would say before overdrives. I put my TIM last in the chain and modulation goes after compression. Guitar - Strobostomp - Morning Dew EQ - Vox Wah - Diamond Compressor - Microvibe - Chorus Pedal - Keeley 4 knob Comp - RC-Booster - BB Preamp - TIM.

grego7
07-16-2006, 07:13 AM
There is a certain guy by the name of Michael Landau who has always put od's before his wah, and his tone is......ummmmmm...... how do you say ............

Awesome!!!!

Cool. I'll have to listen to some of his stuff (though I understand I probably already have - hasn't he been on tons of stuff as a studio musician?). Does he run a totally clean amp and get all of his dirt from pedals before his wah?

Melodic Dreamer
07-16-2006, 10:52 AM
He has played through so many rigs and setups that it's really hard to nail his one tone. He usually plays through a slightly broken up amp and gooses it with pedals.

The latest rig that I know he used was
http://www.online-discussion.com/MikeLandau/viewtopic.php?t=178
http://www.online-discussion.com/MikeLandau/viewtopic.php?t=59&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=39a1d3ffd6a9434e1653309b0419f295

wickidriffs
09-29-2008, 09:53 AM

Awesome!!!!

definitely (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOYG4cbg82o)