PDA

View Full Version : Ibanez Rg Series Guitars

nitro
07-17-2006, 04:32 PM
What are your opinions on the ibanez rg series guitars as just a shredder hard rock guitar the rg 550 is discontinued the guitar closest to that model would be the ibanez rg 350mdx the specs are the same as the rg550 and the prototype jem guitar STEVE VAI model was modelled off the rg 550 the specs are basswood body,maple neck,24frets,ibanez edge floyd rose,hum-single-hum-pickups,volume and tone controls i guess for the money you really cant beat it, i usually shy away from japan made guitars but what are your opinions. thanks....................

jaycee
07-17-2006, 06:08 PM
I had one for many years and it was my main guitar for a time. No other trem guitar ever stayed in tune for me as well as my 550. Damn thing took a beating too.

It's been retired to the back of my closet for a number of years. I've had to pull it out a few times for various reasons and after a bit of TLC it's as good as new. Well, almost.

The necks are thin and not for everyone but if you like that shredder style all you need is some hotter pickups and you're all set to wank away.:dude

Gi-gi-giggity
07-17-2006, 09:33 PM
RG550s are great rock guitars. The trems are killer, they have nice fast necks and you can beat them silly without issue.
They can be had for dirt cheap nowdays too.

BTW - periods are your friend.

Unburst
07-17-2006, 11:45 PM
I had one for a while, I thought it was very well thought out and functional rocker.
The 5-way switch auto tap was cool, the trem worked well and the neck was setup great, in fact I have yet to find a cheap Ibanez that didn't play great.

BIGGERSTAFF
07-18-2006, 08:05 AM
They are well made, but IMO they are better suited for high gain applications(which if you're wanting a shredder guitar, would be the case).
I'm not crazy about their medium gain and clean tones though.

EunosFD
07-18-2006, 09:53 AM
Back in the early 90's I had an Ibanez Jem 77FP (black/pink flower pattern cloth finish, green vine inlay, pink pu's) which is basically a tweaked RG-series guitar. I totally loved that guitar for what it was, but I certainly wasn't nearly skilled enough to take advantage of it's attributes. Ultimately it just wasn't what I was looking for as the necks on 'em (Wizard profile I believe) were just too freakin' skinny for my huge hands and it didn't quite get the tone I was looking for (more of a single coil guy then). Very versatile guitar though & the quality was fantastic as most MIJ guitars are. I'd definitely buy another one now even if they're out of style. They're a lot of fun, built like tanks (like most MIJ Ibanez guitars), and very versatile. They may not quite nail all of the classic guitar tones, but they'll surprisingly cover quite a bit of ground. IMO they're (RG's, Sabres, et cetera) are a great deal in the used market.

Road Runner
07-18-2006, 10:04 AM
My first guitar was a cheap Ibanez Cadet series guitar, but my second was an RG550 which I still have. Great guitar for the money. I picked up a very limited RG520QS a couple of years later that I've since put a Zakk Wylde set of EMGs into. Killer metal guitar. My first instructor used his RG for mostly rock, but could definitely crank out some blues, milder tunes just fine. The Ibanez guitars get a bad rap from a lot of folks, but they're really great guitars for what they are. I'd try to pick up a RG5xx level or higher as those were made in Japan vs. the 400 series below being made in Korea I believe.

later, Jim

LaXu
07-18-2006, 10:33 AM
What are your opinions on the ibanez rg series guitars as just a shredder hard rock guitar the rg 550 is discontinued the guitar closest to that model would be the ibanez rg 350mdx the specs are the same as the rg550 and the prototype jem guitar STEVE VAI model was modelled off the rg 550 the specs are basswood body,maple neck,24frets,ibanez edge floyd rose,hum-single-hum-pickups,volume and tone controls i guess for the money you really cant beat it, i usually shy away from japan made guitars but what are your opinions. thanks....................

Your post is hard to read. Don't stuff all the dots in the end, they go between sentences! :BITCH

Anyway, the RG350 is NOT equal to the RG550. The equal would be RG1550, which is exactly the same guitar as the RG550 but has the newer (but not superior) Edge Pro trem. Comes with crap pickups so keep that in mind. Oh and the JEM series preceded the RGs.

The RG5xx series guitars are great deals on the used market. Just swap pickups and you have a very nice superstrat. I've had a 1989 model for years and it's still one of the best superstrats I've tried. IMO superstrats are not really very good all-round guitars, they seem to sound best for hard rock and metal - high gain tones in general. If that's what you plan to play you can't really go wrong with the RG5xx series.

cpsdawg
07-18-2006, 10:36 AM
i bought a lefty 560 h/s/s brand new in '89 with hard case for about $600. it was a metallic red. the edge trem was awesome. never any tuning problems. it was my only guitar for yrs and played many gigs with it. at the time i loved the super thin neck, the trem and the 24 fret neck. in time i got a les paul and it for me was just better. the main thing, and this is true of all floyd rose type trems, is that if you bend one string , the others are out of tune. same true for breaking strings. those shortcomings and the thin neck led to much case and closet time for the ibanez. the only other complaint is that with the sharp edges on the body, the paint was bad to chip and mine had many. i sold this 5-6 yrs ago for probably 300-350. which follows the other comments of "what a guitar for next to nothing.

NuSkoolTone
07-18-2006, 12:33 PM
I had a RG560 (H-S-S) back in the day with EMG's and it was a good guitar. I almost regret selling it.

I now havea Pretige 3220 (Quilted RG3120) and it's great. Highly recommended. It splits to single coil tones nicely. I'd also look for USRG30's or USRG20's maybe. They were Ibanez's top of the line and were quite nice. Can be had for like $6-800 I think.

Personally I found the Jem necks comfy, and felt inbetwent eh wizard and a strat to me. Howeer you pay a premium because its' a jem, and sonically no better than the prestige IMO. Some Jem's are made in alder though and that will probably get you a little closer to a strat tone if that's what you want.

A440
07-18-2006, 01:13 PM
I worked for them in the 90's and the RGs were a constant popular seller.

there are many to be found on the used market. I've had my MIJ for about 10 yrs, but am finally letting it go due to it's low usage. basically pretty stock except for pickup changes.

on the used market, you can find many RG 4, 5, and 7 series. the 4 series are pretty good, but believe most of those are Korean. the 770's already have pretty good Dimarzio/Ibanez pickups in them, and the shark tooth inlays :)

tiltrite
07-21-2006, 04:01 AM
what's the neck radius and the scale for the rg550 styles? Can't seem to find that info on their site.

Road Runner
07-21-2006, 09:26 AM
I'm answering this from memory, its way flat, maybe 14", at least 12". Maybe somebody will answer who knows for sure.

Later, Jim

A440
07-21-2006, 09:49 AM
radius is 12 and scale is 25 1/2 (fender scale)

pretty rare, but I also liked the RT series. sort of a more traditional take on those guitars with a vintage type gotoh trem and gotoh magnum locking tuners. they were 24 fret, so pretty hard to cop true S type tones, but I liked the thicker neck profile on those. more like the ultra neck (similar to the satch and old RB models).

NuSkoolTone
07-21-2006, 09:50 AM
Go to IbanezRules.com lots of great info there.

pockyclypse
03-23-2007, 06:10 PM
Ihave an RG 550 made in 94 CIJ and imho is the greatest guitar i have ever played the neck is so flat and fast its rediculous admittedly though the clean tone leaves a little to be desired but thats what strats are for. my rg has a killer tone when there's lots of gain and distortion but also when i roll the gain off a little its sounds great too.

pockyclypse.

tubedude
03-23-2007, 06:29 PM
Have an Rg570 and that thing stays in tune like no other guitar I have owned. I bought a brand new one in 91 and sold it ten years later. Always missed it and found a used one. Picked it up and it felt like an old friend and bought it on the spot. They really are a bargain used. I think I will keep my Strats and my RG570.

fusionbear
03-25-2007, 12:55 AM
I've owned a lot of IBZ's over the years and I currently own a RG2550 that I originally put evo pups in, but now has an Alico II in the neck, HS2 in the middle and a Custom 5 in the bridge. I love this guitar, I probably will use it until it is sawdust. It is very versatile as well with this pup combo and I also added a 3-way on-on-on switch for the neck pup so I can run it single-parallel-series. It can do jazz, rock, fusion, pop, metal, country. I would recommend you try one in this series and make your own decision.

Roosevelt
03-25-2007, 11:24 AM
I've owned a lot of IBZ's over the years and I currently own a RG2550 that I originally put evo pups in, but now has an Alico II in the neck, HS2 in the middle and a Custom 5 in the bridge. I love this guitar, I probably will use it until it is sawdust. It is very versatile as well with this pup combo and I also added a 3-way on-on-on switch for the neck pup so I can run it single-parallel-series. It can do jazz, rock, fusion, pop, metal, country. I would recommend you try one in this series and make your own decision.

I own an RG2620 with Dimarzio D-Sonic and Air Norton and just ordered a 2550E!!

I'm pretty excited about it. I love the RG prestiges.

PFCG
03-25-2007, 02:01 PM
if you think about it, the alder body and the maple/rosewood neck is a jacked up strat with a floyd and some dimarzios. they sure are cool, but they are made in indonesia. a friend of mine has one of steves actual custom shop jems, one from the 90s i believe, its black. its pretty cool, but the neck shape was a turn off. cool guitar though! steve beat it to hell and back and the thing plays real great!