PDA

View Full Version : Danelectro's Fab series based on "Rare" and expensive effects from the past?

Blues Lyne
08-03-2006, 02:35 PM
Anybody know what pedals they are talking about here? Just ran across these descriptions and was curious.

Danelectro Fab Series D-1 Distortion
In the late 1970's, a tiny effects maker in Japan produced a small quantity of what many believe is THE definitive distortion box. Delicious tonality. Highly responsive. Highly versatile. Recently a boutiqe maker has re-issued that box at $300+. Danelectro offers you a sonic equivalence to the prized originals at an unbelievable price. You'll adore it.

Danelectro Fab Series D-2 Overdrive
History was made in 1975 when a mom and pop store in California commissioned the production of just 200 of what is perhaps the best overdrive effect ever. Unlike any other device, that pedal authentically simulated the breakup that occurs when a tube amp is run at full volume. You will occasionally see an original in the stage rig of a major artist. If you could find an original offered for sale, best to sit down before inquiring about the price. Danelectro puts this classic effect in your hands...without damage to your financial portfolio.

subversivepinko
08-03-2006, 04:38 PM
Very likely complete marketing BS. The pedals stand fine on their own, though. For $15, the sound pretty good.

Blues Lyne
08-04-2006, 05:04 PM
Yeah, I assumed it was marketing hype. Especially with the "sonic equivalence" comment. Just wondered if anyone knew what pedals they were referencing.

Fuzzdawg
08-04-2006, 05:12 PM
yeah, i saw that once and wondered, too!

tocs100
08-04-2006, 07:18 PM
I posted a similar reply at Harmony Central, and I think I'm the only forum-ite who's come close....

My answer is the
Maxon Overdrive Pro and
Maxon Distortion Pro

http://www.maxonfx.com/vintage/od820/

My guess meets 4 out of 5 points:
1) 1970s (?)
2) Japanese (Maxon)
3) Recently reissued
4) Boutique (handwired and 6x price of DOD)
5) Close to "$300+" price-quote

Do I win a prize or something?

Darn: if only Dano cloned that phaser instead of issuing a flanger...I also own and love the Fab Metal, but I've never played the Maxons.

Nitefly182
08-04-2006, 07:56 PM
Note that none of the makers are named and are highly mysterious = bs

scottywompas
08-04-2006, 10:05 PM
Don't forget that they sprinkled Pixi dust on them and used atomicly enhanced componants for a more organic sound.

Scott

Aj_rocker
08-05-2006, 05:56 AM
So are they worth the price? do they really sound that great? If they do i might have to go try them out!

Aj

tocs100
08-05-2006, 10:06 AM
So are they worth the price? do they really sound that great? If they do i might have to go try them out!
They sound ridiculously good for any price, really. Although, for goodness' sake, put a good jfet-type booster pedal before any dirt pedal if you want the full potential from the pedal....If I were to rate the various forum feedback for the six pedals, it would look like this:

Fab Dist. 9.9
Fab Metal 9.5
Fab Chorus 9
Fab Overdrive 7,5
Fab Echo 7 (100ms only, can't adjust)
Fab Flanger 3 (the dud of the bunch)

I'm waiting for a Fab version of
1) Pepperoni Phaser
2) Chicken Salad Vibe
3) Tuna Melt Tremelo or Rocky Road Spinning Speaker

fyler
08-05-2006, 11:26 AM
i have the flanger...i didn't think it was a dud. not highly adjustable, but pretty cool sounding...and only $15!

tocs100
08-05-2006, 11:36 AM
i have the flanger...i didn't think it was a dud. not highly adjustable, but pretty cool sounding...and only $15!Okay, so for the flanger, I've read 3 bad and 1 good review. Revised rating: 5.5. :YinYang If this thread gets more interest than the HC one, maybe I'll post a poll.

Todd Lynch
08-05-2006, 12:07 PM
Are these repackaged 'mini' effects?

tocs100
08-05-2006, 12:29 PM
Are these repackaged 'mini' effects?Except one thread that likened the Fab Metal's circuit as a Dano Fab Tone/Digitech Death Metal/Boss Metal Zone, I haven't read anything that would suggest they're repackaged minis.

I would like them to repackage some though, like their phaser, vibe, and spinning speaker.

g-nem
08-06-2006, 02:20 PM
Except one thread that likened the Fab Metal's circuit as a Dano Fab Tone/Digitech Death Metal/Boss Metal Zone, I haven't read anything that would suggest they're repackaged minis.

I would like them to repackage some though, like their phaser, vibe, and spinning speaker.

Why not just get the mini-pedals? Aren't they smaller than the fab series anyways?

tocs100
08-06-2006, 05:05 PM
Why not just get the mini-pedals? Aren't they smaller than the fab series anyways?Yes but the Fabs are built tougher (maximum toughness for plastic, anyway: tight knobs, great switch, etc.).

Fuzzdawg
08-06-2006, 05:35 PM
the fabs look flimsier to me.