PDA

View Full Version : C neck, V neck, D neck?

Gi-gi-giggity
08-07-2006, 10:27 AM
Man...I'm trying to understand that whole C neck, V neck, etc. deal. I have a vauge understanding, but can someone elaborate and perhaps give examples of each? I'm not really even certain which would be best for me.

2nd post of the day..I'm inquisitive. :)

Thanks.

Guinness Lad
08-07-2006, 11:12 AM
It's just like the letter shape. You see a lot of V necks on instruments from the 30's and 40's, at least I have.

C shape is the typical evenly rounded shape. I believe a D shape would be the same thing but perhaps abit deeper. Actually I haven't ever heard of a D shape.

Personally, neck shape doesn't make any difference to me, although a old archtop with a "V" shape can be cool. The deep "V" kind of gives your thumb a firm resting place which really helps to anchor your hand.

Gi-gi-giggity
08-07-2006, 11:17 AM
I knew that it was akin to the actual letter shape, but I'm not sure (at least from any first hand experience) what the ramifications would be. Perhaps it doesn't matter quite as much as say neck radius? Or unless you have unusually large or small hands. (carnies)

Hendy's Suhr has a D neck...at least that's what the spec sheet says.

Zuper
08-07-2006, 06:44 PM
I've got a Clapton Strat with the "soft V" shape, and an anniversary strat with the "c". I've played lots of both, and there's a lot of variance within the designated lettering codes. To me, the V feels a bit more "hotrod", or faster, somehow. Definately provides more of a solid backing for my thumb, and seems to tire me out less when playing long leads. That being said, I like the "C" a lot, too, and I play the anniversary strat the most. :)

lcjc800
08-07-2006, 06:53 PM
Look here,Warmoth Direct - Replacement Guitar Necks, Custom Guitar Necks, Guitar Conversion Necks (http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=back_profiles) , it might help explain with diagrams.

lbw
08-07-2006, 07:07 PM
The V, D and C are all about the back contour of the neck. Nothing to do with radius or size. The C shape tends to be rounder than the D which is a little flatter at the back, etc.

AaeCee
08-07-2006, 07:54 PM
And don't forget the 'U' shape. I like 'em all, as long as they aren't 'slim' in any way. The large-ish soft V is my fave though.

billyguitar
08-07-2006, 08:36 PM
How about those double D shapes!?!
Seriously, I love all the prewar Gibsons and all the good Epiphones. They have such a nice V. I have a Lentz DL90 on order. He calls his neck shape a soft V. Has anyone played one of his with that shape? How does it feel?

THROBAK
08-07-2006, 09:30 PM
I have a 54' Historic Les Paul reissue that I think qualifies as a D shaped neck. The neck is fairly thick and has a hint of vertical sides to it. It is very comfy and easy to play. I have a 57' and 59' reissue that have C shaped necks. The the 57' is very, very thick. The 59' is sort of a shallow C shape. Both are different but both are still very easy to play.

I also have a Martin HD-28V that have a slightly rounded V neck. It takes a little getting used to and is just a tad uncomfortable but it does make for a stronger neck. I could really hear the difference between the V neck and a Martin slim taper neck. The slim taper neck felt and sounded rubbery when compared to a Martin with a V neck. I'm glad I went with the V neck.

Seniorspike
08-07-2006, 09:42 PM
I've always played C-necks. However after I was given a Fender Strat with a vee, I sent my Suhr Classic back to John to replace with a soft vee... sweetest most comfortable neck I've ever played.

gururyan
08-07-2006, 09:54 PM
Do what I did, go to your local Fender dealer, take OFF any rings or jewelry...or huge belt buckles and play every shape neck they have in stock. I played every type of neck shape Fender made and ended up always coming back to the soft V like on the Custom Classic V and American Deluxe V.

I bought the Deluxe V.

e-z
08-07-2006, 10:04 PM
How about those double D shapes!?!
Seriously, I love all the prewar Gibsons and all the good Epiphones. They have such a nice V. I have a Lentz DL90 on order. He calls his neck shape a soft V. Has anyone played one of his with that shape? How does it feel?

I have a Lentz HSL and love the neck. I haven't liked V necks in the past but this one is a very soft V and feels great.

Izy
08-07-2006, 10:08 PM
C and soft V necks are the most comfortable for me.

I cannot work with U shaped necks and find them very uncomfortable.

As for D necks, i do not like the feel but i'm trying to get used to it cos i ahve a guitar that has a D shaped neck. Everything is killer about the guitar except the neck (for me).

Having said that, i wonder whether i should try to get use to the neck or just change the neck to something i comfortable with?

What would most of you guys do??

Change the neck or try to get comfortable with it?

Tone_Terrific
08-07-2006, 10:21 PM
Any neck can be reshaped providing it's by removal of material i.e. flatten a V or de-shoulder a D, etc.

AaeCee
08-07-2006, 10:24 PM
C and soft V necks are the most comfortable for me.

I cannot work with U shaped necks and find them very uncomfortable.

As for D necks, i do not like the feel but i'm trying to get used to it cos i ahve a guitar that has a D shaped neck. Everything is killer about the guitar except the neck (for me).

Having said that, i wonder whether i should try to get use to the neck or just change the neck to something i comfortable with?

What would most of you guys do??

Change the neck or try to get comfortable with it?I have one guitar, an older LP Classic, that is my only guitar with anything close to a slim neck...not my favorite size. But that guitar is a real pet for a multitude of other reasons, and I'd never sell it. The neck is part of its identity, and I've learned to embrace it. Wouldn't be the same without it. So to you I say, keep it as is, and adapt. It's part of that guitar's personality. AC