PDA

View Full Version : Anyone A/B'd a HoneyBee & an EmeraldGreen?

drolling
09-18-2006, 05:58 PM
When I got my HB around this time last year, I pretty much flipped a coin to decide between it & an EGDM, as my main amps are BF Fenders and a VOX AC15.

The Bee's OD tones compliment all my amps, including the incredibly picky VOX, but, of course, I'm still wondering how much better the EmeraldGreen would sound w/the amp it was actually voiced for.

I'm also curious about its compatability w/the single channel nonmaster 6V6/6L6 type amps I use most of the time. Anybody using one w/cleanish Fender amps?

Also, how much more gain & volume does the EGDM have compared to the HoneyBee?

Last question; Does anyone know how long the wait list is for an EGDM these days? Guess I got kinda spoiled from having 'em drop-shipped to my door in under 10 days..

Craise
09-18-2006, 06:43 PM
Drolling, They are very different...and do not really sound anything alike.
It's just as you've heard...HB is small amp tweedy goodness and EGDM is Voxy. They work freaking killer with my 6v6 amps (Vintage Princeton and Deluxe Reverbs)
EGDM as twice as much gain (just a guess) But a lot more...
Here's a quick clip I made using my PR and Les Paul
Clean > Honey Bee > Dyna Red > EGDM > LGW > LGW+PGC\ (http://home.comcast.net/%7Emastermindmusic//clean-hb-drd-egdm-lgwpgc.mp3)
Plus Teahead has some clips of both HB and EGDM into a vox...do a search on teahead..
I have no idea how long a wait...PM dean (pinkstrat)
rock on!

smilefan
09-18-2006, 10:34 PM
I owned both the HB and the EGDM, and played them side by
side dozens of times. The EGDM has about double the gain
of the HB. They sound totally different. The Green nails the
Vox vibe better than any pedal I've heard. It will sound like
an extension of your AC-15. I'm not a Vox guy, so I sold mine.
The way I liked the Green was stacked into the HB.

The HB is my 'most valuable player' pedal. It does its special
thing and sounds great with every amp, every guitar, and stacks
brilliantly with every pedal I have. I cannot live without a HB now.
It will sound pants-wetting with your BF Fenders. Very strange
to me that some dont 'get' the HB. Dif' strokes.

At least get the HB. Sounds like you need both, but get the HB first.

JKoeth
09-18-2006, 10:51 PM
Hey Drolling,

They are extremely different but I absolutely love them both. The HB is mild, thick lower mids, chewey and fat in the bottom. The EGDM is chime, high end crunch, upper mids and all that. I use it for Petty to Queen sounds. It will be a natural extension of your Vox. It is not as fat in the low end like Voxes tend to be but has all the chime and grind you could ask for. It is also more compressed than the HB depending on where the drive is set.

Generally speaking, I use the HB for an American sound and the EGDM for a british type sound. They are both unbelievable and voiced completely differently. In some ways they are voiced opposite as far as what frequencies they accentuate. Bjorn mentioned that they compliment each other well in that they emphasize very different EQ curves. Don't quote me but I think he actually said something like they cancel out each other's weaknesses and build upon their strengths when stacked (although I can't find a single weakness in either).

If you find you cannot crank your AC15 all the time for natural tube od or if you'd like to play the amp clean and use a pedal like a second channel, then the EGDM is probably for you.

You may also want to look into the Red Rooster Booster as it is KILLLER with Vox voiced amps.

I ordered my PGC about a month ago and it hasn't arrived yet. Things are very busy for Bjorn right now it seems. The cool thing is that the BJFs are holding their value extremely well in the used market.

Enjoyer
09-18-2006, 10:59 PM
drolling,
I have both the HB and EGDM and I have an AC15, AC30 and a 65 (original, not reissue) Deluxe Reverb.
As stated by others, the HB wins MVP with all the amps listed above (and more!). The EGDM ALSO works splendidly with the DR. I find it an interesting cocktail. You can definitely take the best of the Fender Clean sounds and dial in cranked Voxy overtones to taste. Quite a bit of control in those pots. The VOICE control is where it's at. Not sure that I fully understand what it is doing, but playing with this pot really allows you to dial in many different nuances.
Stack the two and it is yet another treat altogether.
Percieved gain is, as Craise indicated, about twice as much. I found that it works well at home and recording volume into the DR but also translates well in a live setting.
You will not be disappointed.

Enjoyer
09-18-2006, 11:09 PM
What JKoeth said.
Much more eloquent than I am.

Craise
09-19-2006, 12:26 AM
Don't forget the EGDM's trim pot! This controls the brightness. I didn't know about this and sold my first EGDM as I didn't think it sounded good with my fender. Then I bought another one after reading about the trim pot, and dialed it in perfect with my fender.

mattmccloskey
09-19-2006, 12:39 AM
I have both next to each other on my board, and they work as my overdrive 'team'. I use the HB for my base overdrive rhythm sound, the EGDM for my base lead tone. When I need a higher gain singing lead tone they are both on together, EGDM into HB. Love them both dearly and have never owned such sweet, natural, musical overdrive pedals before.
I want to get a PPF as well!
The EGDM has more gain and more bite on the top, although it still has a nice natural tubey sweetness overall. The HB is like putting on the most comfy pair of old worn-in jeans that make you feel at ease-just a great responsive mild overdrive and boost with soft edges, that will clean up with a lighter touch or crunch nicely when you dig in, yet never get harsh, always sounds good. these are truly great pedals.

Teahead
09-19-2006, 03:05 AM
I agree with what the guys have said, these two make an excellent combination, I honestly wouldn't like to be choosing one or the other. Emerald Green has much more gain, but is just slightly less dynamic and responsive, but then the Honey Bee is perhaps the most responsive overdrive imaginable, so no shock there. EGD also has more bite and chime on top and more output volume, it won't get as thick in the low end as the HB, but still gets more than thick enough for my tastes.

Here's an EGD clip, showing bypassed & pedal tones, some with guitar volume rolled off... http://www.uncledig.com/clipgallery/Teahead%20-%20egdmnorm1.mp3

Here's a Honey Bee clip, showing bypass and dynamic HB drive tones... http://www.uncledig.com/clipgallery/Teahead%20-%20honeybee3.mp3

Both clips were recorded with Tele & AC30tbx's Normal Channel, plenty more in the link of my sig for anyone who might be curious.

drolling
09-19-2006, 03:24 AM
Thanks guys!!

I get the impression that some of you didn't pick up on the fact that I've had a HoneyBee for over a year now - and like you all say, it's one of the best overdrives I've used. Pretty much defines the term *amp-like*, whatever that means.

No surprise to hear that Emerald Green 'stacks' well w/the HB. HoneyBee stacks better than anything I've heard, ever. Wasn't into cascading gain stages till it landed on my board. Made a believer out of me..

But it looks like I'll just have to bite the bullet & get in line for an EGDM..

stekks
09-19-2006, 03:33 AM
Nobody mentioned the feel yet. Strange.

The EGDM is a much denser, stiffer pedal than the HB which has a more loose/lazy feel.

I have an early EGDM with no treble trim-pot and it works fine with my blackfaces, but if I could I'd cut the treble just a pinch.

JKoeth
09-19-2006, 08:36 AM
The EGDM has that kind of feel "denser, stiffer" or "slightly less dynamic and responsive" than the HB because of the inherent compression. All of these attributes are Vox-like and give it a meaner punch than the HB. The EGDM is still my #1 drive pedal.

Teahead
09-19-2006, 08:54 AM
The EGDM has that kind of feel "denser, stiffer" or "slightly less dynamic and responsive" than the HB because of the inherent compression. All of these attributes are Vox-like and give it a meaner punch than the HB. The EGDM is still my #1 drive pedal.

I have to agree with this, even though the Honey Bee knocked my socks off when I got it, I found myself using the crunch and kerrang of the EGD much more with the band. At home the HB is the only overdrive I'll touch, but when it's time to rock (did I really say that?) the Emerald Green pushes my Vox like nothing ever has.

I suppose the key is not to expect the EGD to be as responsive and dynamic as the HB, but then what is? The HB has more sag or bloom, but it also narrows the frequency response a little. Where the EGD just sounds like my AC30 cranked about twice around the dial!

I keep gain & body around 10 o'clock and it serves up more than enough gain whilst remaining beefy in the lows, keeping the gain low means it cleans up quickly and nicely from the guitar and remains very responsive to pick attack and pick up changes. Hands down the best overdrive for a Vox amp, whether it's to mimic the cranked sound at lower levels, or reinforce them yet further.

drolling
09-19-2006, 09:32 AM
Well, y'know, I've had the HoneyBee & a SeaBlue EQ on my board since last year, and I feel like I really need an EGDM & a Pine Green compressor to create a tiny perfect pedal board, to which I would add only an analogue delay (most likely the Jacques Prisoner).

My main board has become so unweildy I can barely lift it, but I have a feeling that those 4 BJFs plus modulated delay would give me everything I need - regardless of which amp(s)/guitar(s) I might be using.

I just wish I'd ordered them before Bjorn's stuff became soo popular..

DonneR
09-19-2006, 10:51 AM
much useful and right-on info guys as usual :AOK

The EGDM was voiced originally to drive Vox type amps that go into distortion pretty easy and quickly, so you need it to be 'stiffer' so the whole thing doesnt turn to mush when it gets cooking ( this is why 'tube screamers' dont usually sound good with voxes as they are too compressed and add too much treble roll off).....

The internal trim was added to make it adaptable to brighter US amp EQs like Fender etc....

If you take the Drive and Voice knobs and start them both at 0 and slowly turn them up together it mimics what happens to a Vox as it is turned up - after a point the drive doesnt get much louder but it compresses more and the distortion complexity changes, and the EQ rolls off treble

so it can either be used to give 'voxiness' to a non vox amp - or to overdrive a vox amp depending on how its set...

Craise
09-19-2006, 11:00 AM
Well, y'know, I've had the HoneyBee & a SeaBlue EQ on my board since last year, and I feel like I really need an EGDM & a Pine Green compressor to create a tiny perfect pedal board, to which I would add only an analogue delay (most likely the Jacques Prisoner).

My main board has become so unweildy I can barely lift it, but I have a feeling that those 4 BJFs plus modulated delay would give me everything I need - regardless of which amp(s)/guitar(s) I might be using.

I just wish I'd ordered them before Bjorn's stuff became soo popular..
Well, sounds like Bjorn flu again! ;) Watch youself!!!! :D It starts adding up!
Yeah, I cut my board down to size about a year ago. I love my set up.
I pick my favorite Bjfe for the night, along with wah, delay and MGMV and I'm done!
To me BJ's pedals into Fenders are almost like having a analog Pod! I feel I have all the major amp tones covered.
I would LOVE it if BJ could make a Hi-Watt "Who-Live at Leeds" pedal and a Dumble type. Rock on! :dude

http://home.comcast.net/%7Ecraisefintonkirk//smallboard.JPG

JKoeth
09-19-2006, 12:14 PM
CRAISE!!!!

I can't believe you just said that!!!! I would love a "Live at Leeds" Hi-Watt type sound in a BJF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's one of my favorite sounds of all time. I think I feel a custom pedal request building deep inside of me....

Another thing that I've found about Bjorn's pedals (particularly the EGDM) is that if you push the Volume and lower the drive it is more transparent and gives additional headroom. This might seem obvious, of course. In this setting it acts as a Vox flavored boost in a way. If you push the drive and lower the volume, the EGDM will give more compression and more character.

Someone once said that the EGDM smears the lows like a Vox amp and I think this is very accurate. I use it a little more live than the HB because it really cuts through in a loud rock band based upon it's EQ character. The HB is smoother and thicker and I use it for warmer, rounder, fatter tones.

I must say I am in total awe of the Red Rooster Booster with my Tophat Club Royale (20 Watt, Class A, Vox type circut). It is a little like the EGDM with less Vox coloring and alot less compression. It is so full and natural with just a little sparkle added (maybe just a hair of treble boost in there). It works so well with my Tele and my Tophat that it may move into my #1 position depending on the room I'm playing in. I can use my guitar's volume in more effective ways than ever!

Bjorn is a genius. I certainly have caught the BJF Flu because I own 5 BJFs and have ordered 2 more. I don't think this will be the end either!

Teahead
09-19-2006, 12:18 PM
Count me in for a Hiwatt flavoured BJF! :JAM

JKoeth
09-19-2006, 12:19 PM
OK, that's three of us. I feel a revolution coming...

Craise
09-19-2006, 12:42 PM
Jkoeth- I hear yah On the RRB...I want one! It's the last of the "normal model" bjfe's I need.
I'm sure it's great. IMHO Bj can do no wrong...the man has just got "IT" And not only one or two great pedals...but over 15!!!!models that all sound killer.
Mad Professor for sure.
Hell yeah guy's! I have e-mailed BJ back in feb 06 suggesting a Live at Leeds pedal...but he is very busy trying to keep up with normal orders. But we do have the RRRR pedal and Sparkle Fuzz (I really want one of these! but it's still being tweeked) So He is actively making new designs....
Maybe if we can get enough people on board, who knows? I'm sure he could make it! No doubt.
:dude:dude:dude

JKoeth
09-19-2006, 12:53 PM
Sounds like a plan. Let's make it happen.

Now, what's this Sparkle Fuzz? I thought it was just a PPF in a custom box.

DonneR
09-19-2006, 01:09 PM
Yupper lots of great stuff on the horizon !!!

Have you ever tried overdriving an SBEQ ?? Hiwattage ; ] or keep the EGDM on low drive high output and slam it into an SBEQ or RRB see wht happens......

the Red Sparkle Fuzz is a unique circuit (not a custom PPF), its kind of the Fuzz counterpart to the R, but its still in tweekville...