PDA

View Full Version : AC Booster Vs RC Booster

LVC
10-10-2006, 12:30 PM
Can some explain the difference?

What I am looking for ---

I am looking for a pedal similar to Keeley Mod Sparkle drive with a smaller footprint -- I want a clean boost that I can EQ and blend in just enough hair to give me a nice country rock punch without getting dirty. (Think version of Beast of Burden by Little Texas as max gain setting). Secondly I want it to play nice with my other ODs (Landy E, Lil china, timmy Klon etc).

Do not know if either the RC or AC can do the trick -- Sparkle certainly does -- but I want a smaller footprint if possible.

thanks

radcliff
10-10-2006, 01:04 PM
I don't think the RC has nearly as much gain as a Sparkle Drive, I think you'd be better off with the AC. I have played both, I own the RC.

Unburst
10-10-2006, 01:27 PM
AC is an O/D RC is a clean boost with a slight amount of hair.

The AC has similar amounts of gain as the SD without the clean side, RC has the clean but not the gain.

The RC will definitely play nice with other pedals.

LVC
10-10-2006, 04:25 PM
How does the BJF Sea Blue EQ enter into equation?

Is it similar in function to AC/RC? More or less gain?

GtrWiz
10-10-2006, 05:06 PM
as much as I love the RC Booster, it gets a bit flubby if you crank the gain...

slipbeer
10-10-2006, 06:22 PM
I just use my RC Booster to slap my amp around a little bit. I don't want the pedal to add the hair, I want the amp to respond to the signal and jump a little bit higher.

It sounds like you may want to go the AC route.

Hamer95USA
10-10-2006, 11:18 PM
Hey LVC,

Didn't I buy my RC Booster from you? :dude The Sparkle Drive is definitely in the Tubescreamer "boosted mids" type of tone. I own both the AC & RC Booster pedals. The AC Booster is sort of the opposite of that with a flexible 2 band EQ where the mids are not as congested. It works pretty well with different guitars. The RC Booster works great as clean lead boost and the 2 band EQ is great plus for that. The RC will stack well as a lead boost with your overdrive pedals. The AC Booster is a nice overdrive pedal with a good EQ that is not in the Tubescreamer clone category. Both are great pedals to have in your arsenal.

Guitar George

LVC
10-12-2006, 08:49 PM
Hey LVC,

Didn't I buy my RC Booster from you? :dude The Sparkle Drive is definitely in the Tubescreamer "boosted mids" type of tone. I own both the AC & RC Booster pedals. The AC Booster is sort of the opposite of that with a flexible 2 band EQ where the mids are not as congested. It works pretty well with different guitars. The RC Booster works great as clean lead boost and the 2 band EQ is great plus for that. The RC will stack well as a lead boost with your overdrive pedals. The AC Booster is a nice overdrive pedal with a good EQ that is not in the Tubescreamer clone category. Both are great pedals to have in your arsenal.

Guitar George

Yes you did!!!

I am putting together a grab and go board to use with my Rambler.

this is my 30 x 18 board (use it with both fuchs and Rambler)

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpost.php?p=1672518&postcount=42

I am trying to fit the best of the best in an 18 x16 space.

Extra pedals (in my collection) that I can choose from to put on small board

1) AM Sunface
2) Discombobulator
3) Lovepedal Lil China
4) Lovepedal Low Gain E
5) Timmy
6) Klon
7) MI Red Crunch
8) Retrosonic Bi-Chorus
9) Retrosonic Phaser
10) Donner Spatial Delay
11) Strobotuner
12) Keeley sparkle Drive
13) Maxon AD900
14) Maxon AD80

With respect to RC/AC I am still up in the air --- had the RC -- did not make it to my big board --and never really used it -- might want to try AC to see if it can do the Sparkle thing -- end of day I will probably stick with the sparkle -- just like the way it sounds and plays with other pedals...really wanted something with a smaller footprint

bluesjuke
10-12-2006, 09:41 PM
I would think the AC fits your description more than the RC.
Have only the RC now till the AC gets delivered tomorrow.

I'll be an AC expert by Sunday night!