PDA

View Full Version : Best oil for rosewood board

Captain HiTop
10-11-2006, 10:12 PM
I know this must've been posted loads of times, but my searches have proven fruitless (though lemon oil may be a suggestion :crazy ) . What's the best oil for a brand new and dry rosewood strat neck ?

Cheers

dkaplowitz
10-11-2006, 10:18 PM
I like Roche-Thomas. I think it's like $3.50 for a 2 ounce bottle that appears will last me about 10 years. Leaves a nice luster to the rosewood.

Fireball XL5
10-11-2006, 10:30 PM
I've been using Fret Doctor www.beafifer.com (http://www.beafifer.com) Great stuff! :AOK

zzzezums
10-12-2006, 04:25 AM
I like high quality cedarwood oil.

Liquid Quarter
10-12-2006, 04:46 AM
I've been using Fret Doctor www.beafifer.com (http://www.beafifer.com) Great stuff! :AOK

+1 for Fret Doctor.

LQ

AndyFender
10-12-2006, 04:49 AM
Guitar Honey,

http://www.darrenriley.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=189

http://www.surfguitar101.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=143

Andy

Taller
10-12-2006, 05:38 AM
Rosewood oil - available at health food stores in with the 'essential oils'.
A small bottle, but should last a lifetime.

Glide
10-12-2006, 07:08 AM
Here is my favorite - Dirt cheap and works great. Should last a lifetime across 50 guitars. Available in most grocery stores

http://www.vintageprs.net/lemonoil.jpg

AML
10-12-2006, 08:49 AM
I use Bore Oil. Another good one is pre-mixed Linseed Oil.

bluesmain
10-12-2006, 09:00 AM
lemon oil ...

arniez
10-12-2006, 09:56 AM
I was told by a high end guitar manufaturer to use light mineral oil. Supposedly that is what bore oil is. According to the same source lemon oil has a drying agent in it that is detrimental to the wood.
Arniez

bluesmain
10-12-2006, 10:21 AM
mmmmmm.. thats a new one on me. Learn something everyday! Thanks!

esoteric pete
10-12-2006, 11:18 AM

yup. me too....great stuff...smells like almonds or something...

Captain HiTop
10-12-2006, 09:44 PM
Fret doctor on the way . Thanks for all the great replies as always :RoCkIn

Hope your next note is the right one :AOK

aleclee
10-13-2006, 06:17 AM
A small bottle, but should last a lifetime.+1. Seems to me it's what came in the fretboard from the factory. :p

KLB
10-13-2006, 07:48 AM
A small bottle, but should last a lifetime.

Thanks for the tip. I picked up a bottle yesterday for $6.99. Can't say it smells like a rose, but my fingerboards will like it!

edboyle
10-13-2006, 08:17 AM
Rosewood oil, used for "aromatherapy" comes from a fast-growing evergreen. Rosewood comes from a slow-growing hardwood. They don't even come from the same country!

Sammy
10-13-2006, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the tip. I picked up a bottle yesterday for $6.99. Can't say it smells like a rose, but my fingerboards will like it!

Just because it is called Rosewood Oil, it is not a treatment for woods!

You would be better off rubbing it on your back, or better still your partners!

landru64
10-13-2006, 02:27 PM
boiled linseed oil

nashvillesteve
10-13-2006, 02:41 PM
Would these suggestions be appropriate for an unfinished rosewood neck with a rosewood fingerboard? I realize that despite the wording "rosewood neck strat," most of the replies are made about the rosewood fingerboard (unless he has a strat that has a rosewood neck, which would be cool).

But I have a McCarty Rosewood, the neck could use something to, er, clean it up a little... sandpaper? (j/k)

Soapbarstrat
10-14-2006, 12:34 AM
Paste wax.
Stays on the surface, doesn't soak into the wood much. I used to like the penetrating oils like linseed, etc, until I noticed how well they "dried" (they stay like rubber). Dry wood sounds better to my ears. Wood soaked with oil sounds more like a flexible plastic. Yeah, I know in the case of oiling a fret-board it's not going to get totally soaked with oil, and I probably wouldn't be able to hear a difference in how the guitar would sound either way, but if the *idea* of it rubs me the wrong way, then it's better if I avoid it.
You also have to be careful with some oils like mineral oil, because if it goes into the fret-slots, it can likely make frets lose hold, and then also make it impossible for glue to stick to the walls of the fret-slots if that would ever be needed.

mailman
10-14-2006, 03:56 AM
I've been using Fret Doctor www.beafifer.com (http://www.beafifer.com) Great stuff! :AOK It IS bore oil, and I concur...best fretboard treatment I've ever found!

Sammy
10-14-2006, 05:19 AM
It IS bore oil, and I concur...best fretboard treatment I've ever found!

Bore Oil and Fret Doctor are the same thing, and I am guessing he just called it Fret Doctor for guitarists as it is used on fret boards and people might think the name bore oil a bit strange!

Anyway I agree best treatment about as it actually nourishes and treats the wood unlike 90% of the other recommedations on gearpage, most of which harm the board over the years in one way or another!

DejavuDave
10-15-2006, 09:26 AM
John Suhr recommended Roche-Thomas. Lemon oil can actually dry the wood out over time.

Jack Briggs
10-15-2006, 09:32 AM
I was told by a high end guitar manufaturer to use light mineral oil. Supposedly that is what bore oil is. According to the same source lemon oil has a drying agent in it that is detrimental to the wood.
Arniez

What I've been telling guitarists for decades now - lemon oil will dry out the board, prompting most to re-oil on a regular basis. Rosewood oil is as good as any, teak oil is what I use. In a pinch, mineral oil is definitely safer than lemon oil, which has naphtha in it.:AOK

clemduolian
10-15-2006, 10:23 AM
Gerlitz Guitar Honey is THE BEST. Gazillions of players and guitar techs can't be wrong. Plus, Harvey Gerlitz is one of the nicest (and most knowledgeable) guys around. Killer guitar products.

Clem

P.S. Gerlitz amps ROCK too!!

EADGBE
10-15-2006, 01:30 PM
Raw linseed oil. I think that's what the best luthiers haved used through the centuries. Lemon oils can contain driers in them that can crack wood. 'Raw' linseed oil doesn't. You have to be careful with it as even the oil soaked rags can spontaneously catch fire. But I think it protects better than anything. I use a small paint brush to apply it to the fretboard. Wait 10 minutes. Then remove the excess with an all cotton cloth. I then soak the oil soaked rags in water. Then I put them in an empty jar with a little more water, and seal them with the lid and toss.

Dana-L
10-15-2006, 01:30 PM
Gerlitz Guitar Honey is THE BEST. Gazillions of players and guitar techs can't be wrong. Plus, Harvey Gerlitz is one of the nicest (and most knowledgeable) guys around. Killer guitar products.

Clem

P.S. Gerlitz amps ROCK too!!+1 for Harvey Gerlitz and his Guitar Honey.

I have personally used Guitar Honey since 1984 when I first met Harvey at his tiny shop 'Harvey's Guitar Tricks' on Hines Street in Salem, Oregon. The very first Paul Reed Smith guitar I ever saw was in Harvey's shop when he became one of the original PRS dealers.

Someday, I'll start a thread about the 'Greatest Guitar Tech Ever' and I will begin it by telling of my experiences with Harvey Gerlitz.

I haven't seen Harvey since '88 but I think of him often.

Here's a link to his web site: http://www.gerlitzusa.com/

Check out his No. 1 Guitar wax, too. I've used it on my own PRS Custom 24 since the day I bought it new in May of '89. Great stuff.

Very best regards,

-Dana

P.S. Harvey used to build the incredible hardwood cabinets for Matchless amps in his Salem workshop.

Dana-L
10-15-2006, 01:42 PM
Would these suggestions be appropriate for an unfinished rosewood neck with a rosewood fingerboard? I realize that despite the wording "rosewood neck strat," most of the replies are made about the rosewood fingerboard (unless he has a strat that has a rosewood neck, which would be cool).

But I have a McCarty Rosewood, the neck could use something to, er, clean it up a little... sandpaper? (j/k)I bought a used McCarty Rosewood that came with a rough feeling neck.

I gave it a rub with #0000 steel wool and a treatment with Gerlitz Guitar Honey (see my other post in this thread for my swooning review of this product) and since that day it has been the sweetest feeling guitar neck I have ever experienced.

Get some now; thank me later.

Cheers,

-Dana

broknstuff
10-17-2006, 01:20 AM
Anyone use Dr. Duck's Axe Wax? I bought it as a string cleaner and was told (and label says it also) that it can be used to clean your fret board. I usually apply a small amount on between string changes briefly, or if I ever use lemon oil (which thanks to this thread I'll be substituting for some other products). It does a good job of cleaning my strings, but wondered if anyone used this on their fingerboard too. As an inbetween oilings/as a quick touch up between string changes.

How often do you guys oil your boards too?

enzo500
09-24-2011, 05:58 PM
I use "Wisconsin Hardwoods" or "Snow River" Wood Oil. I get it at my local hardware store for about $8.00 for 8 ozs. Stuff works great! You can also get in online through Amazon.

9fingers
09-24-2011, 08:48 PM
The problem with "lemon oil" is that it is (almost always) not lemon oil- it is lemon scented petroleum ditilates: a little grease, a little "lemon', and a lot of solvent. The solvent can take oils out of a fingerboard.
Haven't tried the boutique stuff (not knockin' it). I prefer no smell & certainly prefer non-toxic, so mineral oil does the job for me. Slathering a board with any kind of oil is not good.

chervokas
09-24-2011, 09:39 PM
Bore oil, or any kind of good light mineral oil, seems to be a good choice, works for me. But it should be used sparingly -- a smidge on clothe, work it in, let sit, wipe off the excess- - and only on those rare ocassions when a fret board really needs it, not in abundance and not routinely.

Jamster
09-24-2011, 10:25 PM
I'm using this Perilla oil made for guitar fretboard.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p100/rkodama/6466_a.jpg

900z1
09-25-2011, 07:53 PM
I used to use Lemon oil until I tried Dr. Duck's - slightly heavier than lemon oil, I use it on all my wood fretboards, they feel like butter...

walterw
09-25-2011, 09:00 PM
i feel duty-bound to point out on these threads (and they are legion :rolleyes:) that the fact that there's never any consensus on what really works better, or if it works at all, and that people report using everything from olive oil to motor oil with no ill effects, makes me suspect that none of it makes much difference good or bad, really.

that said, i like fret doctor, especially on ebony (which is prone to cracks). i find it goes in much better when the board hasn't been oiled with other things, and i'll sometimes use naphtha to leach out whatever's on there to begin with, following up with the fret Dr.

done right, it "goes away", leaving nice-looking wood, but with no "stuff" on the surface.

i seldom use anything at all anymore, though, especially on well-played rosewood.

levelfrets
09-27-2011, 07:46 PM
"Boiled" Linseed oil works well for me.

walterw
09-27-2011, 08:55 PM
yeah, but that hardens into an actual finish, right? it's almost a different discussion.

Bob Pollock
09-27-2011, 09:07 PM
I have used virgin olive oil for many years because Dan Erlewine recommended it.

tonesville
09-27-2011, 09:17 PM
Arniez

This is my understanding, too. A mix of mineral with a touch of lemon is my fav...smell good!

cyguitar
09-28-2011, 12:23 AM
I use Roche-Thomas Premium Bore Oil. They also now have "Premium Fingerboard Oil", which I am sure is the same thing. By the way Fret Doctor is also Bore Oil.
http://www.rochethomas.com/c-18-oils-and-greases.aspx

walterw
09-28-2011, 01:06 AM
yes, but what is "bore oil"? a lot of stuff called that is apparently the same inert mineral oil as anything else.

the fret doctor definitely behaves a bit differently than typical grocery store "lemon oil".

GavinTyler
09-28-2011, 01:43 AM
John Suhr recommended Big Bend's Fretboard juice for my Suhr Tele w/ rosewood board.

Binaural
09-28-2011, 04:17 PM
Lewis Fiddlebrite - it's actually made to remove resin from violins, but it's works fantastic on rosewood and leaves zero residue.

Telefan
09-28-2011, 04:20 PM
I got some rosewood fretboard stuff from StewMac - love it. Makes the whole house smell like linseed oil, just like it should.

Structo
09-28-2011, 04:46 PM
+1 for Harvey Gerlitz and his Guitar Honey.

I have personally used Guitar Honey since 1984 when I first met Harvey at his tiny shop 'Harvey's Guitar Tricks' on Hines Street in Salem, Oregon. The very first Paul Reed Smith guitar I ever saw was in Harvey's shop when he became one of the original PRS dealers.

Someday, I'll start a thread about the 'Greatest Guitar Tech Ever' and I will begin it by telling of my experiences with Harvey Gerlitz.

I haven't seen Harvey since '88 but I think of him often.

Here's a link to his web site: http://www.gerlitzusa.com/

Check out his No. 1 Guitar wax, too. I've used it on my own PRS Custom 24 since the day I bought it new in May of '89. Great stuff.

Very best regards,

-Dana

P.S. Harvey used to build the incredible hardwood cabinets for Matchless amps in his Salem workshop.

I know Harvey as well.
Guitar Honey is a good product.
It's most likely a type of bore oil.
You have to figure that woodwind players (clarinet, Oboe, bassoon, etc) are usually made from wood.
They have to condition the wood or it will dry out and crack.
This is what bore oil is for.
It makes sense that ebony and rosewood fingerboards could benefit from it as well.

Structo
09-28-2011, 04:56 PM
How often do you guys oil your boards too?

You don't want to over oil your fret board.
How often you do it depends on where you live and how dry the air is.

If it is a dry area (low humidity) you may have to oil it twice a year.

Generally once a year or so is adequate.

If you over oil the board you can run the risk of the wood breaking down.

cyguitar
09-29-2011, 03:36 PM
yes, but what is "bore oil"? a lot of stuff called that is apparently the same inert mineral oil as anything else.

the fret doctor definitely behaves a bit differently than typical grocery store "lemon oil".

O.K Walter, I caved....I ordered some Fret Doctor today. I'll give it a shot. What do you recommend for lubing nut slots? Big Bends Nut Sauce or Guitar Grease graphite, or????

walterw
09-29-2011, 07:31 PM
haven't tried either of those two, but the new planet waves stuff seems to work nicely; it's some kind of gel rather than just oil, so it stays in the slot.

GuitarMan5000
09-30-2011, 08:46 AM
I like undiluted Murphy's Oil Soap. Cleans and conditions the wood.

cyguitar
09-30-2011, 05:41 PM
haven't tried either of those two, but the new planet waves stuff seems to work nicely; it's some kind of gel rather than just oil, so it stays in the slot.

I ordered one of the Planet Waves Lubrikit, and also the Big Bends Nut Sauce, to try them both out. They look very similar.

http://www.bigbends.com/nutsauce/agora.cgi?product=Nut Sauce

http://store.daddario.com/category/339615/Lubrikit_Friction_Remover