PDA

View Full Version : Finding a searing/liquid Lead Tone!

ibanez4life SZ!
10-20-2006, 08:10 PM
Hey guys!

I have found 3 perfect tones..clean, crunch, and high gain on the 3 channels of my mesa dual rectifier, but the only thing I find myself lacking is a fluid, agressive lead tone.

Up to now, I have basically just stepped on my tremonti wah for solos...it works, but get's a bit too nasal at times....and getting a bit boring.

Listening to Mark Tremonti, and even some Avenged Sevenfold today, I found that I would really love to have such a lead tone! They are both rectifier users...not a fan of A7X at all, but his lead tone works for me!

So, what would I need to get a nice solo tone out of my recto? An overdrive of some sort? They don't use delay...maybe a little reverb, but not a lot at all...what is it that makes their lead tone so perfect?

Thanks for the help!

rooster
10-20-2006, 08:19 PM
How about switching to the neck pickup as you go up the neck?

rooster.

ibanez4life SZ!
10-20-2006, 08:21 PM
Not a bad idea, but the tone gets a bit muffled...

Overall, though I have a great rythmn high gain tone, it is not nearly as fluid as I would like to have it for a lead tone...

Any pedals that can help me here? Would overdrive, just to push it over the edge, help at all? I had a Keeley SD-1, and it really didn't do anything for me...

ibanez4life SZ!
10-20-2006, 09:31 PM
After searching these forums, you guys seems to like the Tube Zone, Xotic BB Preamp, and tubescreamers for these jobs...

My question...do these pedals work well boosting an already highly overdriven amp into the liquid lead tone, or are they better stand alone pedals?

What should I be looking at here?

Last Nerve
10-20-2006, 09:39 PM
Xotic BB
Hermida Mosferatu

ibanez4life SZ!
10-20-2006, 09:42 PM
And those will work as a good boost over my recto to give me a nice smooth lead tone?

enditol
10-20-2006, 10:23 PM
For a recto I like the Maxon OD-808 with the gain set very low.

ibanez4life SZ!
10-20-2006, 10:37 PM
And this would be over my channel 3 modern settings I assume?

ibanez4life SZ!
10-21-2006, 03:26 PM
Any other opinions?

Multiple others have mentioned the OD808...looks like that might be my solution!

Should I look into reverb at all? My current one, though nice a fluid, dulled my tone way too much...I lost all agression and girth...

scottywompas
10-21-2006, 04:58 PM
In reference to Avenged sevenfold. Zacky Vengance uses rectos but he is more a rythim player. Synester Gates carries most of the solos and he uses bogners as well as a plain ol Boss or Line 6 compressor pedal.

Maybe try the compressor pedal in front of your recto and see where that get's you.

Scott:dude

ibanez4life SZ!
10-21-2006, 05:05 PM
To get a quality compressor, would I basically have to shoot straight for the Keeley?

Is an overdrive still an option also? I run my channel 3 Modern gain at noon, so not too high...still quite a bit of gain, as it is a recto, but I need more for lead parts...that's why I think an OD might be they way to go...won't more gain lead to more natural compression also?

scottywompas
10-21-2006, 06:26 PM
You would be surprised at what compression can do in front of your lead channel. I used to have a Carvin x100b combo that had a lot of gain on the lead channel but came up just a hair short for some ripping 80's style guitar solos. I had a little stompbox compressor that i used and it did the trick. Later I had a Roctron rack mount compressor feeding into my boogie studio pre for the same reason.

Go to GC and plug a boss into a high gain amp and see what happens. keep the level at unity and the compression fairly low.

Scott:BEER