PDA

View Full Version : Sewell Wampus Cat

mad dog
10-20-2006, 07:46 PM
The cat finally landed. I've only been drooling over these for years, in fact, jonesing badly for tweed pro type amps for the longest time, damn curious about 15 inch speakers for guitar.

So let the epiphanies begin! It already sounds unspeakably good. I'm thinking all the great stuff I've heard about Sewell is right on target. This is one impressive amp. More on that later, as I get to know it better ...

bluesmain
10-20-2006, 08:14 PM
excellent score Mad!

Zim
10-20-2006, 08:16 PM
Cool, let us know what you think of the tones. I almost got one on trade a little while back, but the guy changed his mind.

Steve Foley
10-22-2006, 06:23 PM
I REALLY like mine - recently picked up the 25W "Texaplex" Wampus Cat, and it's got some toneage to really let it go. Great responsiveness - you can dig in, and get the crunch, or back off, and clean it up, but keep the character. Great Marshallesque tones without the volume and bulk. I hope you enjoy it as much as I'm liking the Texaplex 25.
...in fact, I'm liking mine so much I'm thinking of trading off the Bad Cat "Black Cat" - different beasts entirely, but still an amp I was digging, until this one came along - fickle guitar players....

Dr Rico
10-22-2006, 07:10 PM
I'm glad you guys are enjoying those amps. Doug rolls a great instrument and I've enjoyed every note I played through them. I look forward to playing another one of his amps some day when the dust settles down here. It was a pleasure working with you both!

BAN
10-22-2006, 07:31 PM
Can't wait to hear your impressions of it. I am about 2 weeks into owning my new Sewell Texaverb and I can't believe how much I'm loving the tones in this thing. Gorgeous blackface tones and a killer mid knob to take it into tweed territory when desired. Would love to hear one of his Wampus Cats one of these days---and would REALLY like to get my hands on one of his Blistertones ...

BAN

jimfog
10-23-2006, 01:50 AM
I really dig mine....fat, warm 3-d tones...very logical, well done package...if it had just THAT much more clean headroom, it would be a keeper........

Look for a deal soon in the emporium.....

- jim

AlexF
10-23-2006, 05:32 AM
I really dig mine....fat, warm 3-d tones...very logical, well done package...if it had just THAT much more clean headroom, it would be a keeper........

Look for a deal soon in the emporium.....

- jim

Jim the Wampus Cat is a compression monster, the whole point is the lack of headroom. You want the Texaverb, it will take you right where you want to go. Alternatively, before you let it go, try a 12AT7 in V1 and/or V3, that cleans it up just a little but retains the tone.
Al

mad dog
10-23-2006, 10:44 AM
I plan on trying out some 7581A tubes in mine, which would have some impact on headroom. (The amp has JJ 6L6GC in there now, and does sound mighty good already.)

Jim, what power tubes are you using?

P.S. Aside from being quite the gentleman, Mr. Rik packs a mean amp shipment, I can tell you. FedEx tried to drown it, and probably would have if it were carelessly packed. So I'm lucky to have it, and lucky to have it bone dry.

jimfog
10-23-2006, 12:13 PM
Jim the Wampus Cat is a compression monster, the whole point is the lack of headroom. You want the Texaverb, it will take you right where you want to go. Alternatively, before you let it go, try a 12AT7 in V1 and/or V3, that cleans it up just a little but retains the tone.
Al

I'm with you.......totally understand and appreciate the amp for what it is. The problem isn't with the product....it's with the end user! lol

I've tried a 12AT, and it helped, as did a SS recti and JJ 6L6GC's, per Dougs suggestions (great to deal with, BTW!), but in the end I was still looking for more......

If I can make the $$$ work, I'll keep the Wampus Cat, as the tone is really unbelievable........just not 100% sure that'll be possible.

Isn't the Texaverb more of BF sounding amp??

- Jim

Fuchsaudio
10-23-2006, 12:17 PM
The cat finally landed. I've only been drooling over these for years, in fact, jonesing badly for tweed pro type amps for the longest time, damn curious about 15 inch speakers for guitar.

So let the epiphanies begin! It already sounds unspeakably good. I'm thinking all the great stuff I've heard about Sewell is right on target. This is one impressive amp. More on that later, as I get to know it better ...
Heard a guy using one for harp at an open mic Saturday, sounded awesome. Didn't hear it with guitar, so I can't comment on the guitar tone. Cool, looker too.

AlexF
10-23-2006, 01:05 PM
I'm with you.......totally understand and appreciate the amp for what it is. The problem isn't with the product....it's with the end user! lol

I've tried a 12AT, and it helped, as did a SS recti and JJ 6L6GC's, per Dougs suggestions (great to deal with, BTW!), but in the end I was still looking for more......

If I can make the $$$ work, I'll keep the Wampus Cat, as the tone is really unbelievable........just not 100% sure that'll be possible.

Isn't the Texaverb more of BF sounding amp??

- Jim

Understand Jim. Yes the Texaverb is more blackface sounding, but it is REALLY well sorted blackface, plenty of body and thickness, which you can dial in by balancing the master/pre settings. It has that extra headroom, but not too much, more like a good super reverb than twin.
Al

mad dog
10-23-2006, 01:57 PM
Hey Andy: Where did you see the Sewell on Saturday? I had mine down at Scotland Yard Saturday afternoon. But I wasn't playing harp. Saw that someone had brought a Fuchs amp and cabinet, didn't stay long enough to hear it. Was that you?

BTW: PM me if you want to check out the Sewell. I'm right in the next town.