PDA

View Full Version : Cornford and Bogner Comparison...

bikerdude2
10-28-2006, 11:05 PM
Has anyone played both a Bogner XTC and a Cornford MK(sp?)
Thinking of picking up a combo that sounds as rich as my XTC for 80's Metal and Hard Rock and these sound interesting..Thanks

riverastoasters
10-29-2006, 12:44 AM
Has anyone played both a Bogner XTC and a Cornford MK(sp?)
Thinking of picking up a combo that sounds as rich as my XTC for 80's Metal and Hard Rock and these sound interesting..Thanks

Yes I have a MK50H and an XTC Classic. My MK50H sounds a lot better since I got it converted to US mains. It didn't really change the tonal character so much as just make the amp have more of it.

The Cornford is good for a pretty specific range of tones. The XTC Classic has a wider range of tones.

I haven't played the XTC recently enough to have it at my fingertips. So I'll fire it and the Cornford up tomorrow and be able to say more. Both are excellent amps, by the way.

Fretmaster
10-29-2006, 06:12 AM
Bogner XTC = darker, more compressed, softer feeling under the fingers, slightly wider palet of tones.

Cornford Mk = much brighter and more open, better cleans, stiffer feeling under the fingers and less compressed, narrower range of tones but easily capable of covering the 80's metal and hard rock tones.

Keep in mind these are not generalizations of each these amps. I am descibing them relative to each other. Both amps are very good. They are both very high quality pieces. The Cornford is PTP wired which is nice but has a lot fewer bells and whistles. But, I think specifically for the styles you are describing the Cornford would be the better fit.

bikerdude2
10-29-2006, 08:40 AM
I appreciate the info.

sysexguy
10-29-2006, 09:34 AM
The Cornford combos are amazing...but not exactly like the mk50h so be sure to compare similar things. The Diezel Einstein combo's great for 80's tones but weighs enough to piss off a piano mover. If you don't need big power the 6w Cornfords with a tiny amount of (pedal) boost will get the mk50h 80's thing....but as i mentioned the Hurricane is a different animal.

Andy

bikerdude2
10-29-2006, 09:41 AM
to make use of all my cabs. The MK 50 seems to be the model I'm most interested in.

matte
10-29-2006, 09:49 AM
hold out for the elmwood modena 90. i'll have one here soon. you're only a few exits up from me.

matt5150
10-29-2006, 09:50 AM
to make use of all my cabs. The MK 50 seems to be the model I'm most interested in.

I compared the 2.

The 101B is definitely more compressed (but in that Bogner good way) and the Cornford is more open like say an OD-100.

IMHO, you cannot get into the same sonic territory with the Mk50, but it is a great amp all the same.

Matt

bikerdude2
10-29-2006, 09:59 AM
God knows I'd love to watch you tear it up!hold out for the elmwood modena 90. i'll have one here soon. you're only a few exits up from me.

matte
10-29-2006, 10:00 AM
God knows I'd love to watch you tear it up!i'll keep you in the loop. i have 2 uberkabs onsite.

bikerdude2
10-29-2006, 11:20 AM
Thanks Matte. Looking forward to it.

riverastoasters
10-29-2006, 10:19 PM
OK I played the MK50H side by side with the XTC Classic. If I was going to play gain-y metal stuff I like that XTC blue channel a lot. It is very thick and chewy.

I was using a Koll glide with TVTron pickups. It delivered plenty of crunch all over the place, but when I went over to the red channel which was in plexi mode it was very round and grippy with sag (I had the amp dialed up pretty high).

The MK50H gets a really nice classic hard rock drive sound, which is big and round. There is a little more resonant quality to the MK50H harmonics.

Between the two, for what you asked, I would probably end up with the XTC Classic.

I would also suggest thinking about a VHT Deliverance.