PDA

View Full Version : Barber LTD vs VL Sparkle Drive

mikeller
11-06-2006, 01:34 PM
Just curious how those two compare?

I have an LTD (black) and like it for its clean boost/low gain use, but it does have a slight mid-range hump / nasal thing.

musickbox
11-06-2006, 03:09 PM
They are similar. The Sparkle Drive is brighter and has more of a mid range than the LTD. Also the Sparkle drive has less bass than the LTD. I like Barber's stuff. I would check out past threads. Both the pedals are always being talked about.

therhodeo
11-06-2006, 03:11 PM
Can't speak for the LTD but I have a Direct Drive and a Sparkledrive and the Barbers are a whole lot more reliable.

Pentode
11-06-2006, 05:48 PM
Have you tried the Silver Ltd? It has less mids than the black.

jlagrassa
11-06-2006, 07:07 PM
I had a sparkle drive a few years ago it was descent but the Silver LTD I use now sounds much better to me, Nice open tone and plenty of punch when I need it.

subdude1
11-06-2006, 08:17 PM
+1 Silver LTD

mikeller
11-07-2006, 03:35 AM
Thanks for the replies - I am also very, very pleased with the Barber stuff. Perhaps I'll look at the Silver LTD.

smallbutmighty
11-07-2006, 10:11 AM
It is best pedal I have to add just a little bit of country hair.

Is that becuase of the "blend" pot? Or are you just using straight?

A "little bit of country hair" is exactly what I need.

As a point of reference for me, can anyone compare the silver LTD to the Tim or Timmy?

Thanks,
A

loconzly
11-07-2006, 11:36 AM
Am I the only one who really disliked the Sparkle Drive? In theory, that blend knob sounded perfect, but in at least my reality, it sounded silly. I've found myself much happier using a traditional overdrive with the drive turned real low.

I've been wanting a Barber Drive ever since they first came out. I have no real good reason for not picking one up other than the fact that I can't justify the expense for yet ANOTHER overdrive pedal.

TNJ
11-07-2006, 11:49 AM
I've not tried the Silver LTD, but have the tried and true black LTD. With my PRS Custom 24, and my Tone Kings (Comet 40A112 combo, or MeteorII head/212 cab) this pedal is the perfect match. Crunch to lead with a boost pedal...I use either a Klon or a little compression.

S.
j

evan_pollan
11-07-2006, 11:55 AM
I have both a Sparkle Drive and a Silver LTD -- they're two totally different beasts, IMO. FWIW, I rarely use the Sparkle Drive unless I specifically want a really compressed, classic 808 OD sound. I much prefer the balanced, open sound of the LTD.

Oh -- and inre: the comment on the Sparkle Drive's clean blend knob, one benefit to this is the ability to have the pedal double as a clean boost. I either have the blond on 100% OD or 100% clean, depending on how I'm using it at the time.