PDA

View Full Version : Randy Hansen -ALL PURPLE PEDALS!! PIC

58lespaulman
11-07-2006, 09:16 PM
This a good one that was took of Randy Hansen this past summer. From left to right, KR Super Fuzz (New Fuzz Pedal Kevin is going to be building), KR MEGAVIBE, KR Gypsy Fuzz, And the New KR Wah Wah that will be out soon, along with the Super Fuzz. I JUST GOT THE Doubler which is awesome, and my new Gypsy Fuzz will be here tomorrow along with the new KR Wah Wah. Me and Randy are the only two to own this new Wah, with the Hand wound Inductor, and all kinds of other things.. Check it out!!
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c10/58lespaulman/Megavibe/HansenDarrington.jpg

VoodooBlues
11-07-2006, 09:17 PM
Didn't know KR was making any wah's. SWEET.

JiMB
11-07-2006, 09:46 PM
When will the wah be available?

58lespaulman
11-07-2006, 10:42 PM
I don't know, but he played it for me over the phone and I couldn't believe my ears. He was shooting for the sound in (Up From The Skies) from Axis Bold As love, and he has nailed it from what I can hear over the phone. But also Randy Hansen has two of them I think, and he loves them. I tell Kevin every time I talk to him that his pedals are posessed by Jimi's spirit. I'm real excited about the Gypsy Fuzz!! I'll tell you guys what I think about the wah. Well as a matter of fact you'll hear it on our up and comming EP.

Shane Pasqualla
WET ANIMAL
http://www.wetanimal.net
http://www.myspace.com/wetanimal
http://www.escapi.com

DANOCASTER
11-07-2006, 10:53 PM
Off Topic - sorta

Is Randy Hansen STILL making a living copping Hendrix ?? I never knew if he had that much success and was surprised to even hear his name again. Is he regional ?

I grew up in DC and really havent heard about him since my high school days in the early 80s

58lespaulman
11-07-2006, 10:58 PM
Yeah, he has been going for a long time now. Still is.

Last Nerve
11-07-2006, 11:04 PM
'58...OT, but didn't you have an Uber coming in the mail?
It arrive yet?

Enjoyer
11-07-2006, 11:07 PM
58lespaulman,
Where was that gig in your photo?
I see Randy Hanson around Seattle often - not gigging - in Guitar shops and at Guitar shows. I always thought of him as a Seattle regional act - surprised to see that you guys know who he is.

58lespaulman
11-07-2006, 11:08 PM
Yes, and it's really good. But the Megavibe has the sound of Hendrix better then any I[ve heard. The Megavibe Rules!!

erksin
11-07-2006, 11:08 PM
He hasn't changed one bit, has he? Monster player - I saw him at the Winter NAMM back in '90 demoing pedals at the Dunlop booth. Everybody kept asking "Who IS that guy?!"

pfflam
11-07-2006, 11:19 PM
Don't want to dis the guy, I remember having an album of his way way back when . . . but, its too bad that he can't find his own voice, I mean the guy is obviously very talented, he's old enough to step outside without an umbrella . . . I mean, being from Seattle he should start to feel the rain and see what grows (and other assorted metaphors)

VoodooBlues
11-07-2006, 11:27 PM
Did Kevin say much about the Superfuzz and what it'll potentially sound like?

58lespaulman
11-07-2006, 11:36 PM
All I know is Randy Hansen has been using it on the lead to Purple Haze, and he loves it.. It's like a cross between the Gypsy Fuzz and the Doubler, I think..

mc5nrg
11-08-2006, 03:01 AM
Hansen did put out solo records with limited success.Personally,I think he's pretty great.I did hear him live in DC around '83 or so(Club Soda IIRC) with Mitch Mitchell and maybe Fernando Saunders...they played the whole 1983(Merman) sequence from Ladyland and it was incredible.Anybody who can pull that off live is OK with me.Also mid 90s at the Electric Factory(rev II) in Philadelphia and that was cool too.Lots and lots of folks at the Factory show in contrast to the photo in thread.

58lespaulman
11-08-2006, 05:35 AM
Maybe Kevin R. will chime in on the Super Fuzz, and the KR Wah?

Troubleman
11-08-2006, 06:37 AM
Randy was (the late) Sam Kinnison's guitar player back in the late 80's early 90s. I still have his "album". I think it's outta print

jb

SebiX
11-08-2006, 07:14 AM
58lespaulman,
I see Randy Hanson around Seattle often - not gigging - in Guitar shops and at Guitar shows. I always thought of him as a Seattle regional act - surprised to see that you guys know who he is.

He is pretty well know even in Germany!

StompBoxBlues
11-08-2006, 07:16 AM
58lespaulman,

This is WEIRD...I also lived a time in the bay area (northern California) back in the 80's and knew of Hansen, and ALSO thought he was a local act on the brink of making it big doing Hendrix, amazingly well. I think Frank Marino was doing almost the same thing, but Hansen was THE Hendrix "interpreter"...

How did he manage (and was it on purpose?) to market himself such that at least on both coasts everyoine was thinking he was "from there".

58lespaulman
11-08-2006, 09:35 AM
I've never heard anybody do Hendrix like Randy Hansen, he even sounds like him when he sings.

LHakim
11-08-2006, 12:07 PM
its too bad that he can't find his own voice,Alot of guys think (and would have you think) they've "found their own voice" when in fact all their doing is re-cycling their favorite guitarist, whether it be Clapton, EVH, SRV, Ford etc. Randy at least is being honest about it, and unlike the others is actually doing it with a level of skill and inventiveness that is commensurate wth the source of his inspiration.

todd richman
11-08-2006, 12:53 PM
Is that a real Fuzz Face off the board to the right? Is it modded by KR?

58lespaulman
11-08-2006, 02:04 PM
Yes, but it was unpluged, and wasen't working. But he had it with him.. Maybe Kevin R. can tell the story about the Super Fuzz, and the broken Fuzz Face that day?

bstranathan
11-08-2006, 03:44 PM
someone should put the axis guts in a red fuzz face with white knobs :D.

pfflam
11-08-2006, 07:19 PM
Alot of guys think (and would have you think) they've "found their own voice" when in fact all their doing is re-cycling their favorite guitarist, whether it be Clapton, EVH, SRV, Ford etc. Randy at least is being honest about it, and unlike the others is actually doing it with a level of skill and inventiveness that is commensurate wth the source of his inspiration.Good point.

JiMB
11-08-2006, 10:43 PM
Randy was (the late) Sam Kinnison's guitar player back in the late 80's early 90s. I still have his "album". I think it's outta print

jb

I got Randy's "album" too after reading EVH endorse him in his first GP article. Some good stuff on there. I think it's back at Mom's. I've seen Randy a couple times here in LA, great player.

Enjoyer
11-08-2006, 10:53 PM
Out of pure curiousity, I just googled Randy Hansen. Went to his website and copied this from his bio page:
I found it intersting to note that he did the Hendrixesque sounds on the Apocalypse Now movie Soundtrack.

He was born on December 8th, 1954. West Seattle was home for Randy. And it was from another Seattle native that he received his greatest inspiration the year was 1967. Jimi Hendrix brought forth the catalyst for Randy's future when he released the milestone album, Are you Experienced?

Randy IS experienced and he should be experienced by everyone. He grabs the attention of the audience with the first notes of every performance. He holds their attention past the close of the show. The audience carries their unforgettable experience into the streets for the best word of mouth stories since the Bible was merely oral tradition.

He exists as a mystery and a motivation to ax grinders young and old. Eddie Van Halen, "...he's hot...",and calls him a friend ( Guitar Player Magazine ). Rocking teens hanging outside during pre-show sound checks, stand amazed after hearing the searing passages of the Star Spangled Banner. His guitar is a weapon he handles with authority knocking them dead every time it clears leather. Francis Ford Coppola used the staccato bursts and bombastic blasts of Randy's sonic arsenal to add deathlike sound effects to the movie, Apocalypse Now

He's toured with Buddy Miles and with Mitch Mitchell. He's put notes on vinyl and celluloid. He's been experienced and he is an experience. Oh how to properly tell the tales that fall so short of fact. The fact is , Randy Hansen is the slickest thing since James Bond's Aston spewed oil slicks. This man turns Tasmanian Devil on stage. There's no stopping him and there's no telling where he'll be at any moment in the show. He's been spotted on the stacks and swinging in the rafters 30 feet above the floor. He's thrown himself into tumultuous throngs and has been thrown back by frenzied freaks that still sport tie-dyed day glow. He plays the guitar with his whole body and soul. He is a high energy show. He consistently delivers a show that cannot be forgotten by even the deadest of heads.
Tours, albums, movie sound tracks, studio work and jamming with the greats. Randy is a sincerely powerful man of monstrous mood. This direct descendent of Adam sees himself as the reincarnation of Wally Cox. He enjoys drawing, painting, and cartooning as diversions in his madcap life.

pfflam
11-09-2006, 03:28 AM
Sounds cool, I want to jam with him . .

58lespaulman
11-09-2006, 08:33 AM
Me too, did you guys whatch him on Youtube.com? He really is amazing!

VoodooBlues
11-09-2006, 08:46 AM
Yeah, he's got a pretty cool Myspace page with some Youtube links.

K Randall
11-09-2006, 03:44 PM
Yes that is a fuzzface on the right of the pedalboard-it had quit working and Randy had plugged in the Gypsy fuzz & was blown away with how much better it sounded than the fuzz face. Randy loves the superfuzz for his Purple Haze solo tone-I modeled it after a late 60's super fuzz(gray box) which is cleaner sounding than a typical early to mid 70's red superfuzz and will be putting it out within the next month or so-On the wah-I am currently looking for a suitable housing for it and will be offering it with a hand would Halo inductor (which I hand wired on a vcr rewinder machine that I converted into a winder!) Randy has 2 wah's from me and loves them! also the wah will be true-bypass with the authentic circuitry with custom made parts-rnady has 2 Megavibes,2 Gypsy fuzzes,2 wahs & the superfuzz which I build.:JAM

bolero
11-09-2006, 08:28 PM
aha, I always wondered where they got some of that Hendrix stuff on "Apocolypse Now"!!! hadn't heard some of it before :rotflmao

58lespaulman
11-10-2006, 07:01 AM
Guys I got to play my new Gypsy Fuzz and KR Killer wah yesterday in band practice. And you guys are going to be in for a treat with the Wah. It's hands down the best wah sound that I've ever heard. This guy really know how to make a wah wah. Hand wound inductor that he wound on his VCR winder. It's freakin awesome! And the Gypsy Fuzz is great too!! There is a lot of love going into these pedals..

bstranathan
02-08-2007, 06:52 PM
there's a picture on randyhansen.de of him using the megavibe, gypsy fuzz, a red/blue painted wah, an orange face-lift, and what looks like a hendrix octave fuzz. it has to be an old pic.

58lespaulman
02-08-2007, 08:22 PM
It cant be too old, because he's only been using KR pedals for a couple years at the most.

The Everlove
06-01-2007, 08:20 AM
digging up this one... whats the order hes got there? wah > gypsy? > Mega> super?

Turnipfarmer
06-01-2007, 09:18 AM
i actually prefer the "dirtier" superfuzzes - the big Orange/Blue, Black/ Grey etc rubber padded foot pedals. The ibanez standard fuzz and its different branded brothers are even hotter with an fet input stage. Any chance of a later era superfuzz? All the Who, Mudhoney, and Dinosaur fans will be after that one.

Zillie
06-03-2007, 10:00 AM
...Randy loves the superfuzz for his Purple Haze solo tone-I modeled it after a late 60's super fuzz(gray box) which is cleaner sounding than a typical early to mid 70's red superfuzz and will be putting it out within the next month or so...

When will be Superfuzz out? It says the next month, but the post is from october 2006

Electrix69
09-01-2008, 08:23 PM
Hi guys,

I found this forum while doing a Google search of Randy Hansen's effects pedals. Great forum!

Thanks for letting me know about KR's products. I've always wanted an authentic-sounding, Univibe-type effects box. I now know where to purchase one.

Btw, speaking of Randy Hansen, here are some very cool (and fantastic!) video clips of Randy Hansen in a recent performance that I just know Hansen (and Hendrix) fans will enjoy:

Stone Free
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WXzL4lCVLQ

Hear My Train A Comin'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt07qA1WZ3s

One Rainy Wish
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1kpjSvB0e4

Are You Experienced?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brJCPIQfW5U

Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjB5_kv0QAw

Regards,

Electrix69

murkat
09-01-2008, 08:35 PM
Wow, talk about a thread resurection. man, I can remember warming him up at the FarSide way back when... I had two full stacks, He brought three... but, thats Randy ;)

drone62
09-01-2008, 08:56 PM
good to see ole randy still packin em in.that looks like one hell of a carnival

Melodic Dreamer
09-02-2008, 02:27 PM
The dude can pull Hendrix off like no other. Kevin really makes some great sounding pedals. I would love to try his wah.

How does it compare to the Teese Picture wah or the Fulltone Clyde?

K Randall
09-02-2008, 08:06 PM
The dude can pull Hendrix off like no other. Kevin really makes some great sounding pedals. I would love to try his wah.

How does it compare to the Teese Picture wah or the Fulltone Clyde?
Yes Randy is awesome-the audience was really enjoying it,I can only imagine what that young kid in the audience must think of todays pre processed pop music now after hearing Randy play and witnessing Randy play with his teeth(LOL),when the show started people were listening but as it went on everyone like moved near the stage-I like how Randy threw in if 6 was 9, and going out in the audience, about Randy using my pedals for his Hendrix tribute,I am honored & I said to him-All I ask is that when you go out and play is that you kill em man-and he gave me the biggest grin and he said sure I will & just beaming. it sure looks like he is doing a frigging awesome job killing em by the audience response-Thank You Randy Hansen for Honoring the man James Marshall Hendrix and help keeping his memory alive!! Melodic Dreamer-you can hear Randy using my KR Killer wah on these you tube clips.

d-b
09-03-2008, 05:04 AM
Crazy idea for a pedal board in the pic. I think that is a section of cable management system used on the floor of big venues.Cool idea!

Strat58
09-03-2008, 06:40 AM
Hi whoaa man you see all those great guitarplayers there in the States, wished he came some time to europe. He keeps the flame of Jimi burning for sure, never heard someone comes so close.
Peace Strat58

Wagster
05-01-2009, 02:07 PM
Don't want to dis the guy, I remember having an album of his way way back when . . . but, its too bad that he can't find his own voice, I mean the guy is obviously very talented, he's old enough to step outside without an umbrella . . . I mean, being from Seattle he should start to feel the rain and see what grows (and other assorted metaphors)He's making comfortable living playing music which is more than most guitar players can say.He's also a well known player and seems to be having a great time.I dig him and enjoy catching his shows when he's in my area.Not everybody can be original like Hendrix.Tribute bands are cool for what they are and I have no problem with them.

Rock on :dude