PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Reviews: Tone Tubby (H1, H1E, H1EDD, Ceramic), Two Rock, Fane, Scumback H75

zoooombiex
12-16-2006, 11:44 PM
This has become an ongoing repository for my speaker experiences - hope they help someone with a decision.

Two-Rock 65: in a two rock 2x12 & two rock 1x12. a great all purpose tone - lots of low end and pretty good highs. it seemed to fall into the middle of the spectrum compared to the other speakers i was trying. full bass, but not boomy, medium-clear highs but not bright. thick low-mids. no cone cry.

Tone Tubby Alnico H1: in a TR 1x12. no cone cry. slightly fuller bass and rounder mids than the TR65. much less high end - the darkest of all the speakers i tried - but it did open up the more you turned it up. at gig levels it sounds perfect. for contrast, i threw one in my reverend hellhound - a brighter amp - and it sounds great. it tamed the harshness and thickened up the mids. Pairs extremely well with a TT Ceramic & TT Alnico H1E.

Tone Tubby Alnico H1EDD: in a TR 1x12. the low end is much tighter than the H1 or TR-65. not weak, but a/b-ing them it was quite noticeable. it's also much brighter than the other two, though not overly bright. Still pretty thick in the upper-mids, and no cone cry. Switching between the H1E and H1EDD - the H1E has a much rounder and fuller low end; the H1EDD might have a little more happening in the very high registers, but not major.

Tone Tubby Alnico H1E: in a TR 1x12. this falls right between the H1 and H1EDD. has the big low end of the H1, and full clear highs (not quite as much as the H1EDD, but more than the H1 or TR-65). No cone cry, and very rich mids. The high end is similar to the Scumback H75, maybe not quite as sweet. But the lows and low-mids are rounder and thicker than the Scumback.

Tone Tubby Ceramic H1E: in a fargen 1x12 (which tends to be a little brighter and less thick than the TR cabs). very tight low end, but powerful and punchy. very bright by my standards - similar to a Vintage 30, but with more girth and not as scooped. But it seemed to have lots of headroom and was a little louder than the other speakers.

"The Bomb" - H1 alnico/H1E ceramic. in a tone tubby 2x12. a great combination. The low end is very full and yet extremely tight. Lots of punch. The low end is probably about as big as the H1E, bigger than the scumback, and tighter than both. The high end isn't as rich as the scumback, and probably also a little less so than the H1E. But still very clear & punchy, which makes it cut through. EDIT: this has increasingly become one of my favorite mixes - perhaps as the speakers break in. It's very balanced from the lows to highs, no big gaps or bumps. And without being bright it maintains great clarity. EDIT: More headroom and wider frequency response than the Blue/H-30 mix.

"The Bomb" - H1E alnico/H1E ceramic. Similar to above, but the H1E makes it a bit brighter - though not a huge difference.

Scumback H75-8HP: in a TR 1x12. tighter lows and lower-mids than the the H1E, though not as tight as the H1EDD or the TT Ceramic. It has an extremely sweet high end - more so than the H1E, and no cone cry. I later threw this in a 2x12 with a TR-65 and they complemented each other nicely. the TR-65 had the thick low end that the scumback lacked, and the scumback had a much warmer high end.

Fane AXA12 (i think): in a TR 2x12 cab. Full but tighter low end, thick mids, clear highs. It sometimes feels a little "dry" to me if that makes sense - something doesn't seem as rich as the H1E or the Scumback, but overall this is a great speaker. Tighter low end than the TR-65 but equally full mids - slightly clearer high end. I threw this in a Bob Burt 1x12 and I like it better. I've heard these speakers really like to be worked, so maybe it's happier in a 1x12 rather than a 2x12 when not at stage volumes. It seems a bit richer and not as dry, though it's still not as juicy through the mids compared to the TT and Scholz.

Scumback H75-8HP-LDHC: in a TR 1x12. virtually identical to the standard H75, but with a softer high end. It's probably perfect for brighter amps, as it rolls off the ice pick zone. But on less bright amps I felt like I was losing some of the H75 magic. As this has broken in, the differences between it and the H75 have decreased. (The LHDC might come across as a bit "creamier" for whatever that's worth). But overall very similar and have a similar upper mid focus.

EV 12L: Damn heavy, damn loud, but what a sound! amazingly clear and full, bright but not harsh, tight bass. not as fat in the low mids as the TT, but not really lacking there either. It has a nice shimmer to it on the upper end which makes it excel at big clean tones. overdrive can get a bit boxy compared to the TT & scumbacks. But it's really hard to beat for big, bold cleans. EDIT: Charlie @ Tone Tubby reconed one of these with a hemp cone for me - that one is very thick with overdrive tones - not boxy at all, though it's not quite as shimmery for cleans.

Eminence RW&B: very similar to the TR-65. I a/b it with the H75, and the RW&B had a tighter bass and maybe a little more clarity in the mids/upper mids. But the H75 had a richness in the high end the RW&B was lacking.

TT H1 & H1E: in a TR 2x12. amazingly fat lows and mids. plenty of highs coming from the H1E, but not a bit of harshness. not as punchy as the ceramic/alnico mix, but rounder and fatter mids. Extremely thick and juicy. one of my favorites. EDIT: this has a softer feel than the Blue/H-30 mix, with a more open, clear sound and a little more compression. Seems to have a bit more headroom than the Blue/30, which always has a grindy feel.

TT H1 & H1EDD: in a TR-2x12. not quite as fat as the H1/H1E mix. a bit more highs, a bit less mids. not as punchy as the ceramic/alnico mix which has an amazingly crisp low end. I preferred the other TT mixes, but that might just be because of my preference for strong mids.

Eminence Tonker: in a TR 1x12. a very focused-sounding speaker. It's not as tight in the lows as the scumback H75, and not as full as the TTH1/H1E (or the scholz). It's probably comparable in the bass to the EVM 12L. But it doesn't have the extended range of the EVM or quite the upper-range sweetness of the H75. I've heard others say this is a "nasal" speaker - I'm not sure what that means, but especially with some other music in the background, it comes across as very focused in a particular range of mids & upper mids. That allows it to cut through well, but other speakers sound more balanced.

Scholz: in a TR 1x12. reminds me a lot of the TT H1/H1E. It has a very big low end, though not mushy. Just very full through the lows & low-mids. It's pretty even through the mids and highs - definitely not harsh. If anything perhaps a bit on the darker side, but really it's pretty neutral (in a good way). Compared to the EV, I thought this had a much fuller bass, a bid more mid-presence, but not the extreme clarity and range of the EV. Volume-wise, both are pretty efficient. Compared to a scumback H75, it again had a fuller bass and mids. Not quite the creamy high end of the H75, but not dull at all. Compared to a Fane alnico, it was again a bit bigger in the lows and mids, similar high end (not bright, not dull...). Comparing the Scholz to the Tonker, the Scholz sounded very full-spectrum compared to the more focused Tonker. No big upper-mid focus on the Scholz, and it had a fuller bass and clearer highs. EDIT: the low end keeps getting bigger as this breaks in. It's probably the biggest low end of all these speakers, but not flubby, and the high end is still very clear.

TT H1E/H1E mix: in a TR 2x12. very similar to the H1/H1E mix, though that might have a little more girth and less sparkle.

TT H1/Scumback H75 mix: in a TR 2x12. this mix surprised me as I thought they would complement each other better. the H75 isn't very big on bass, which the H1 is, and the H1 doesn't have the upper-mid thing that the H75 does. But together they come off a bit dark. very rich and creamy, but not a lot of high-end presence. then again, it works very well to thicken up a bright amp.

Scumback H55: overall, similar to the H75, but some notable differences - it has a bigger low end and doesn't have quite the same vocal, chimey quality of the H75. Would probably work well on its own with a brighter amp, but I prefer it in a mix with the H75.

Scumback H55/H75 mix: this has a great classic rock feel to it. it doesn't have the huge low end fatness of the TT or the scholz, and it doesn't seem to have a huge peak anywhere across the spectrum (lower/upper mids, etc). Instead, it has a balanced tone that works well in many applications, and has a great grind that I associate with classic rock (not hi-fi, not soft and jazzy...).

Celestion Blue/G12H-30w Mix: I can see why this is such a classic combo. I've been using it in a TR 2x12 with a Bruno Underground 30, 65 Amps London, and a D/13 FTR37. It has a very organic quality to it - not dark, but the opposite of hi-fi. Extremely chewy and chimey at the same time. The low end is full, but not as punchy as the Bomb mix - closer to the TT Alnico mix (maybe somewhere inbetween the two). High end is also somewhere between the TT Alnico mix and TT Bomb - very sweet but not bright. Not a lot of headroom (not as much as the TT Alnico or Bomb), so probably not the best for big clean tones. EDIT: i originally had these wired in series and then wired up another cab with them in parallel. the series seemed to accentuate everything - more vocal, chewy sounding compared to the parallel which came off a little softer and more balanced.

Celestion Gold/G12H-30 (Heritage): in a TR 2x12. very similar to the blue/H-30 mix (not surprising). pretty much identical except for the added power handling, which lets me use it with some bigger amps. Not a ton of clean headroom -- not as much as the TT Alnico 2x12, and nowhere near the H-Bomb. Very chewy sounding - sounds amazing with an Emerald Pro, which I would not say is a headroom-oriented amp. Makes the clean/overdrive transition very smooth. If you want a big clean sound I wouldn't recommend this, but for more grindy tones it's great. (Since speaker breakup seems to be a big part of this sound (as with the Blue/H-30 mix) I'd say get the blue/30 if it can handle your wattage).

Celestion Gold: in a TR 1x12. Spec-wise, the TT Alnico is close, but they sound quite different. The Gold doesn't have the juicy mids or the upper-end clarity of the TT. But it does have a great raw, english kind of tone if that makes sense. Low end is tighter than the TT, and mids seem to peak a bit higher.

Tone Tubby 2x10: in a tone tubby 2x10 cab. Quite a little package - the same size as a TR 1x12. pretty big sound, with the signature TT tone. These are the only 10"s i've tried, so I don't have anything to compare them to. But I will say they sound quite similar to the TT 12", but with less low end and a bit punchier overall.

Scumback M55/M75: in a TR 2x12. similar to the H55/H75, but still quite different. The H55/75 mix sounds more full spectrum (more balanced from lows to highs) and is considerably louder. In contrast, the M55/75 mix is more mid-focused, with less high end, and is quieter and seems to break up earlier (or at least sounds like it).

Celestion G12M Heritage: in a TT 2x12. a great rock speaker. crisp, punchy bass - not thuddy at all. very clear highs, yet smooth and sweet - not harsh or fizzy. pretty balanced mids - not scooped, not humped. obviously, at 20w, not a lot of headroom, but the ample speaker breakup is a big part of the sound. also, pretty quiet given the low efficiency.

Scumback M75: in a TT 2x12. compared to the G12M Heritages - similar classic rock kind of tone, but not identical. mids a little thicker, bass not quite as tight or crisp, and highs a little softer.

LSchefman
12-17-2006, 09:28 AM
Excellent info! Thanks!

grinder965
12-17-2006, 09:33 AM
zoomer....great review....what is the difference between the Tubby H1, H1E and H1EDD?.....no mention of them on their website.

GAT
12-17-2006, 09:37 AM
Wow, I've been trying to figure out which TT I was going to order! Thank you very much.

I have a Marshall 2061X 2x12 (the Handwired slanted one) and am running a Divided By 13 LDW head. I've tried several speakers in it. G12H30, Heritage G12H and Ms, V30, and different combos of those speakers.

The LDW sounds killer but it is a bright amp so I was thinking of the TT HE speakers, and from your review, I think this may work.

The cab is a closed back cab, any thoughts on using the HEs in a closed back cab?

Thanks again!!

GAT
12-17-2006, 09:39 AM
zoomer....great review....what is the difference between the Tubby H1, H1E and H1EDD?.....no mention of them on their website.

The H1 is the original TT hemp, I had two and thought they were very dark.

The H1E is dipped in an enzyme and is brighter.

The H1EE is double dipped and much brighter.

GAT
12-17-2006, 09:45 AM
Zoooombiex,

What do you think of a H1 in the bottom and a H1E on the top?

stevie2600
12-17-2006, 10:24 AM

I know from personal experience that Alnico H1's and Ceramic H1E's are probably one of the most copasetic speaker mixes I've heard. The H1 really helps fill out the midrange, and adds some extra girth and creaminess to the top end, while the ceramic gives an extra kick in the bottom, and a quicker, gutsy attack. HIGHLY recommended. I think that config would work real well in either closed or open back configs. Closed backs sound GREAT with the ceramics. Open backs LOVE the alnicos. If you were thinking about two alnicos in a closed back 2x12, I really don't think you'd be getting all the goods they have to offer, since they like to breathe. A ceramic/alnico mix would be much better in either closed or ported oval backs.

s2 Amps ( http://s2amps.com/ ) sells the Tubbies pre-broken in if you're buying new, and they usually have the H1 alnicos and H1E ceramics in stock.

Steve

zoooombiex
12-17-2006, 12:33 PM

thanks! GAT's description is right, and they mention the different versions in the FAQ: http://www.tonetubby.com/faq.htm

Wow, I've been trying to figure out which TT I was going to order! Thank you very much.

I have a Marshall 2061X 2x12 (the Handwired slanted one) and am running a Divided By 13 LDW head. I've tried several speakers in it. G12H30, Heritage G12H and Ms, V30, and different combos of those speakers.

The LDW sounds killer but it is a bright amp so I was thinking of the TT HE speakers, and from your review, I think this may work.

The cab is a closed back cab, any thoughts on using the HEs in a closed back cab?

Thanks again!!

all my cabs are partially closed, and i haven't tried any closed backs in the past, so i'd just be guessing about how it would change the sound - sorry

The H1 is the original TT hemp, I had two and thought they were very dark.

The H1E is dipped in an enzyme and is brighter.

The H1EE is double dipped and much brighter.

+1

Zoooombiex,

i haven't tried this yet, but i was thinking about it. a plus would be that the H1E has the lush high end, and would complement the H1's darker tone. but both are similarly full through the lows and mids and have similar responsiveness. i think that might be why the ceramic pairing is so recommended - the ceramic has a much faster response and is tighter and punchier in the bass than the alnico speakers, so they complement each other well and overlap less. my (as yet untested) guess is that if you are concerned about too much high end, you probably would be better off with a H1 paired with a H1E or Ceramic. The ceramic is pretty bright, so pairing it with the H1E or H1EDD might be a bit much, but i need to try that out directly to be sure.

zoooombiex
12-17-2006, 12:37 PM
I know from personal experience that Alnico H1's and Ceramic H1E's are probably one of the most copasetic speaker mixes I've heard. The H1 really helps fill out the midrange, and adds some extra girth and creaminess to the top end, while the ceramic gives an extra kick in the bottom, and a quicker, gutsy attack. HIGHLY recommended. I think that config would work real well in either closed or open back configs. Closed backs sound GREAT with the ceramics. Open backs LOVE the alnicos. If you were thinking about two alnicos in a closed back 2x12, I really don't think you'd be getting all the goods they have to offer, since they like to breathe. A ceramic/alnico mix would be much better in either closed or ported oval backs.

s2 Amps ( http://s2amps.com/ ) sells the Tubbies pre-broken in if you're buying new, and they usually have the H1 alnicos and H1E ceramics in stock.

Steve

thank you for the info! all my cabs are ported oval backs (except the fargen which is partially closed (slotted), so i haven't been able to test these out in other contexts. and you thoughts on the ceramic/alnico pairings sound right on. i'm looking forward to trying that!

GAT
01-08-2007, 02:11 PM
Would a conclusion here be that an inherently darker amp like an Orange head that is normally paired with Vintage 30s should not use Tone Tubbies? Especially if the cabinet is closed back?

I just put two TT Ceramic hemp cones in a Marshall HW 2x12 cab. These are much brighter, but not in an ice pick way. They are extremely clear, very rich mids and a bit more bass than the stock G12H30s. I think those would sound great for a darker amp.

Dave_C
01-08-2007, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the great info!!!

I have a TT Alnico H1E that I used to great effect in a Bad Cat Hot Cat 30R. It just totally transformed that amp. Smoothed out the fizzies and removed the harshness from the high end from both channels, while still retaining lots of chime and sparkle. The mids were gorgeous. The H1E is the Tone Tubby "standard" offering and most highly recommended for most applications, unless you have some special requirement (power handling, super dark or super bright amp, etc).

I only tried it breifly with my TDS, but it was in the Bad Cat cab and it just sounded dull and sterile to me. I have it in an Allen Accomplice 1x12 cab now and this report has inspired me to give it another listen with the Fuchs! I wonder how a pairing of Alnico and Hemp H1Es in a Buzzbomb would sound with the Fuchs. I know Santana LOVES them with his Dumble....

zoooombiex
01-10-2007, 09:40 PM
I did some more comparing tonight and added some more comments above. Nothing incredibly new, but a few more comparison comments. Man, the H1E and Scumback are just beautiful....

GuitarsFromMars
01-10-2007, 10:11 PM
Zoombiex-get the 55-8HP to go with the 75-8HP and you will be where you want to be-it's what I use and a bunch of others use as the best recipe for tone thuggery,The 55 has the distinctive low end thumpage that the 75 apears to not have.Together,those two speakers are the best I've heard from what's available currently.

T2tele
01-11-2007, 04:03 PM
Zoombiex-get the 55-8HP to go with the 75-8HP and you will be where you want to be-it's what I use and a bunch of others use as the best recipe for tone thuggery,The 55 has the distinctive low end thumpage that the 75 apears to not have.Together,those two speakers are the best I've heard from what's available currently.

I agree with GuitarsFromMars, since your taking the time to try the various speaker combos, try the Scummy's together and I believe your search will be over with!

I have an H55 and H75-LHDC together in my Two-Rock Sig cab. The H75 with the large dust cover has more pronounced lows and extended high frequencies… really defined, tight and smooth on the bottom, with real sweat and useable upper end frequency response. The H55 is a great match with the H75; it is more concentrated through the mid section and gets such a nice and even breakup. These two speakers really compliment each other; everyone who drops by and listens to the cabinet is blown away by the beautiful balanced, clarity and overall USEABLE tone.

I just installed an H75-LHDC in my 5E3 Tweed Deluxe and it sounds amazing. I had an old Vox Silver in the cab, which also sounds great in a Deluxe… has more of an original vintage character, but the H75 gives the amp much better bottom, defined mids and gorgeous top end! I'm still debating on which one will stay in there? The Silver has a great traditional Tweed Deluxe vintage sound, while the Scummy makes the amp more versatile and useable.

Thanks for the nice review of the different speakers and combinations… real nice and informative post!

T2

zoooombiex
01-11-2007, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the responses & positive feedback! I'd definitely like to pick up an H55. Sounds like it'd mate well with the H75 or H1E.

Does anyone have experience comparing the H75 and H75-LHDC? Is the webpage description pretty much on? ("Same speaker as the H75, but with a large dust cap. The large dust cap smoothes out (rolls off) the highs, and makes the speaker creamier on the top end, and adds a bit more bass response, right between the H75 and H55 models.")

Scumback Speakers
01-12-2007, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the responses & positive feedback! I'd definitely like to pick up an H55. Sounds like it'd mate well with the H75 or H1E.

Does anyone have experience comparing the H75 and H75-LHDC? Is the webpage description pretty much on? ("Same speaker as the H75, but with a large dust cap. The large dust cap smoothes out (rolls off) the highs, and makes the speaker creamier on the top end, and adds a bit more bass response, right between the H75 and H55 models.")
A review of that combination is here: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=190025

gkelm
01-12-2007, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the post...helpful stuff.

Anybody know how to tell if a speaker is an E, EDD, etc.? I have a TT alnico (that much I know!) that came in a combo I bought. The seller told me it had a paper cone, but from the TT site it doesn't look like they do paper, just hemp.
Greg

GAT
01-12-2007, 01:09 PM
I think they stopped using paper but not sure when that stopped.

zoooombiex
01-12-2007, 01:19 PM
the faq says they still offer a paper cone, though that may be outdated.... http://tonetubby.com/faq.htm

you can email the people at tone tubby with the serial number (should be someone on the speaker) and he can tell you which version it is.

LarryN
01-12-2007, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the post...helpful stuff.

Anybody know how to tell if a speaker is an E, EDD, etc.? I have a TT alnico (that much I know!) that came in a combo I bought. The seller told me it had a paper cone, but from the TT site it doesn't look like they do paper, just hemp.
Greg

Look at the cone from the back of the speaker. If the cone has a coarser texture, it's more than likely hemp.

tybone
01-12-2007, 06:43 PM
I have some paper and hemp cone tone tubbies and the hemp cones are decidedly green. The papers are blackish gray. Like Larry said, the hemp cones have chunky fiberous stuff on the back of the cone.

zoooombiex
01-30-2007, 10:06 AM
i added some edits (no Fane cone cry!) and some more reviews ... more on the way :)

jspax7
03-14-2007, 11:53 PM
Have you tried the Weber 1265 Ceramic and Alnico?

I'd be interested to hear how they compare with the Tubbies, Celestions, and Scumbacks.

Thanks for the reviews. It's a time consuming and expensive task. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

zoooombiex
03-14-2007, 11:59 PM
Have you tried the Weber 1265 Ceramic and Alnico?

I'd be interested to hear how they compare with the Tubbies, Celestions, and Scumbacks.

Thanks for the reviews. It's a time consuming and expensive task. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Sorry - I haven't tried those, but they sound interesting. I actually need to update this as the Scholz is really starting to break in, and I should have a Scumback H55 here before too long...

jspax7
03-15-2007, 12:25 AM
Sorry - I haven't tried those, but they sound interesting. I actually need to update this as the Scholz is really starting to break in, and I should have a Scumback H55 here before too long...

As "hot" as the 1265's and knockoffs are among the "Dumble" crowd, I'm surprised these haven't been talked about.

Doesn't Weber make the Scumbacks?

BTW, I'm always interested in your reviews as we play similar amps.

Thanks again.

odourboy
03-15-2007, 07:58 AM
I actually need to update this as the Scholz is really starting to break in, and I should have a Scumback H55 here before too long...

I recently got a Scholz as well. Just out of curiousity - how long has your's been breaking in so far?

les
03-15-2007, 09:15 AM
Thanks for sharing the info.

FWIW, I agree with your comparison between the RW & B and the Scumback 75-8HP. I have both and prefer the 75-8HP.

zoooombiex
03-15-2007, 09:50 AM
I recently got a Scholz as well. Just out of curiousity - how long has your's been breaking in so far?

I'd say it probably has around 20 hours or so. I noticed a big difference over the first 10 or so, and a bit less since then.

odourboy
03-15-2007, 10:03 AM
I'd say it probably has around 20 hours or so. I noticed a big difference over the first 10 or so, and a bit less since then.

My experience with the Scholz has been similar. There was a dramatic and fairly sudden change at around the 10 hour mark. I'm probably at 30 or so hours now and it's much more subtle, but I find it continues to mellow.

I look forward to it's inclusion in your review! Cheers mate! :dude

ryhlick
03-15-2007, 12:49 PM
Zooombiex
Odourboy,

Thanks for the info on the scholtz. Did either of you run a stereo through the speaker to help loosen them up? I am interested as I have one inbound very soon.
thanks

zoooombiex
03-15-2007, 01:07 PM
Zooombiex
Odourboy,

Thanks for the info on the scholtz. Did either of you run a stereo through the speaker to help loosen them up? I am interested as I have one inbound very soon.
thanks

I use a portable CD player into the line in on a Boss RC-20, and then run that into a powerblock into the speaker. I've heard others use a normal stereo amplifier, but I feel a little safer using a guitar amp because i'm more familiar with its wattage and impedence requirements

dbeeman
03-15-2007, 01:54 PM
Chris, Thanks for the review/info. This is the kind of thing that really helps and one the reasons I hang in this forum

zoooombiex
03-28-2007, 10:12 AM
Added some more reviews (tonker, scholz, couple speaker mixes) and comments/updates on earlier reviews...

stevie2600
03-28-2007, 12:27 PM
Thanks for all the great reviews! Like you, I absolutely love the H1/Ceramic H1e mix in my Two Rock. It's probably the best speaker mix I've tried. For giggles, I'll be adding a pair of Scmback M75's to my Ceramic-loaded Marshall 4x12 to see if I can get any more grit out of my DLS Rotosim. I'm thinking the M75's would be a better mix with the Tubbies than the H75. Apparently, a lot of people have had good results mixing Greenback-type speakers with the hempcones. We'll see in a couple weeks. Keep up the great work!

ryhlick
03-28-2007, 01:01 PM
Z0000mbiex,
Thanks for all the reviews! Have you had a chance to mix the Scholz and a Tone Tubby? Are you still loving the Scholz?
Thanks

zoooombiex
03-28-2007, 01:18 PM
Z0000mbiex,
Thanks for all the reviews! Have you had a chance to mix the Scholz and a Tone Tubby? Are you still loving the Scholz?
Thanks

You're welcome! The Scholz has definitely improved over time and it's very nice speaker overall - definitely one of my fav's right now. I was curious about mixing it with a TT as well - I might get a chance this weekend. That'd be a TON of low end - I bet it would pair well with a ceramic TT and be similar to the H-bomb cab. hmmm.....

RC2
03-28-2007, 01:35 PM
Added some more reviews (tonker, scholz, couple speaker mixes) and comments/updates on earlier reviews...

Thanks for all the speaker info it's helpful and interesting. Also you nailed it on the tone of Scholz and it's break-in time.

zoooombiex
05-16-2007, 11:49 AM
bump for a couple additions - scumbacks and celestions...

jspax7
05-16-2007, 12:19 PM
I'd be interested to hear your take on the Weber 1265, Ceramic and Alnico. I'm thinking that combo might make a pretty good H-Bomb as well.

gec78221
08-07-2007, 01:14 PM
You're welcome! The Scholz has definitely improved over time and it's very nice speaker overall - definitely one of my fav's right now. I was curious about mixing it with a TT as well - I might get a chance this weekend. That'd be a TON of low end - I bet it would pair well with a ceramic TT and be similar to the H-bomb cab. hmmm.....
Any more thoughts on the Scholz?

dbeeman
08-07-2007, 01:23 PM
I'm not zooobiex, but ....

I have been running Scholz in a 1 * 12 with my two rock in lieu of a cele g12-65, if that tells you anything.

Very clear, defined speaker without being harsh or over bright, even the non guitar players in my band commented on the clarity of my setup - 2R onyx, sholz and soloway swan

Jujo
08-07-2007, 02:04 PM
To Zoombiex- thanks for making this effort. This is a wealth of useful data in a direct and easy to read format.

Pa'ani
08-07-2007, 03:45 PM
Thank you for the excellent and in depth speaker review.
Much appreciated.

Gryphon
08-07-2007, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the excellent post. Have you tried the Emi Wizard or Governor, or any Webers?

stevie2600
08-07-2007, 06:32 PM
zoooombiex,
You ever think about experimenting with a Hemp coned Vintage 30 mixed with a TT H1E? I just started with this combo, and the results are pretty fantastic. VERY thick mids and highs and really tight lows coming from the Vintage 30. A lot of presence though! I must say though, the hemp cone really makes the Vintage 30 what it was probably originally intended to be. I hated that speaker with my Two Rock until now. Highly recommended.

zoooombiex
08-08-2007, 10:47 AM
I'm glad people are finding this useful - thanks for the comments. My wife will appreciate all the hours soldering and swapping in the basement are going to a greater good! :)

As for other speakers, I don't have too many left on my list to try. I'm definitely interested in the Heritage G12-65s, and maybe some jensen, jbl, altec stuff, but more as a curiosity. I'm sure there are lots of great ones I haven't tried - I'm just getting comfortable with what I have so my incentive/desire to keep on the trail has lessened ...

zoooombiex,
You ever think about experimenting with a Hemp coned Vintage 30 mixed with a TT H1E? I just started with this combo, and the results are pretty fantastic. VERY thick mids and highs and really tight lows coming from the Vintage 30. A lot of presence though! I must say though, the hemp cone really makes the Vintage 30 what it was probably originally intended to be. I hated that speaker with my Two Rock until now. Highly recommended.

I saw one of these on ebay and it looked interesting. I wasn't a fan of the V-30 on its own, but after hearing what a hemp re-cone did to the EV I'd be interested to try a hemp V30. Certainly sounds nice from your description!

stevie2600
08-08-2007, 03:33 PM
I saw one of these on ebay and it looked interesting. I wasn't a fan of the V-30 on its own, but after hearing what a hemp re-cone did to the EV I'd be interested to try a hemp V30. Certainly sounds nice from your description!

The Vintage 30 has a very alnico-like character with the hempcone, while retaining the quick ceramic attack. In comparison to the TT Ceramic, I actually find it quite a bit thicker with overdrive, but maybe not quite as neutral sounding, as it still has a little of that Vintage 30 upper midrange... though it's not anywhere as irritating as before. It's a completely different animal, and a very clear, British sounding complement to the alnico.

I find it interesting that A Brown Soun is reconing EV 12's in hemp, now. That's not listed on their site, yet. Looks like I'll have to call Charlie and see if they've added any other speakers to the recone list. I have an EV in need of a recone. I would LOVE to see them do Greenbacks, though!

noctilux1
08-08-2007, 04:18 PM
Zoooombiex, great speaker reviews. Very helpful.
I'd love to hear your take on the Jensen Blackbird, 100 watt almico.

zoooombiex
08-08-2007, 06:19 PM
I find it interesting that A Brown Soun is reconing EV 12's in hemp, now. That's not listed on their site, yet. Looks like I'll have to call Charlie and see if they've added any other speakers to the recone list. I have an EV in need of a recone. I would LOVE to see them do Greenbacks, though!

That was sort of a prototype. I needed an EV reconed and asked them about doing it in hemp, but they said they didn't have a hemp cone that would fit the EV. So I sent it in for a stock recone. As chance would have it they were out of the stock EV cone, so Charlie called me and asked if I wanted it in hemp. I'm not sure exactly how he came up with the cone, but he made one for me and one other that I'm told went to Steve Kimock.

It's a very interesting speaker in comparison to the stock EV. the only drawbacks I heard were 1) it lost a little bit of the huge clean clarity of the stock (although that may improve as a keep breaking it in), and 2) it added an odd percussive kind of attack that got a little fatiguing at higher volumes. I guess the EV can be a fatiguing amp in some ways anyway, and this might also go away with time. But other than those, it really fattened up the EV and IMO made it work much better with overdriven tones. The stock EV tends to make amps sound fizzier or more sizzly on the high end, and the hemp tames that nicely.

gec78221
08-08-2007, 07:56 PM
Any more thoughts on the Scholz?

Pa'ani
08-11-2007, 04:02 PM
I just took some of your advice and speaker review info, and decided to take the speakers(Celestion G12H and Vintage 30) out of my Suhr CAA 2X12 Cab.
I installed my Tone Tubby H1 and Tone Tubby Ceramic to create the
"H-Bomb/The Bomb or Da Bomb".
It sounds really great and balanced!
I use my Talos Basic Head and it is just so musical and the tones are unreal, the bottom line is that it definitely puts a huge smile on my face.
I'll be trying the H-Bomb combo with my Suhr CAA OD-100 Classic Plus and
Two Rock Emerald 50, Bogner Shiva EL-34.
Thanks again for all your research and information.

zoooombiex
08-12-2007, 05:16 PM
I just took some of your advice and speaker review info, and decided to take the speakers(Celestion G12H and Vintage 30) out of my Suhr CAA 2X12 Cab.
I installed my Tone Tubby H1 and Tone Tubby Ceramic to create the
"H-Bomb/The Bomb or Da Bomb".
It sounds really great and balanced!
I use my Talos Basic Head and it is just so musical and the tones are unreal, the bottom line is that it definitely puts a huge smile on my face.
I'll be trying the H-Bomb combo with my Suhr CAA OD-100 Classic Plus and
Two Rock Emerald 50, Bogner Shiva EL-34.
Thanks again for all your research and information.

Great! I'm glad you're enjoying the cab and the info was helpful.

ryhlick
08-12-2007, 09:09 PM
I just finished playing for the past 1 1/2 hours with my Badger and a Scholz SugarCone through my Port City OS 1x12. What a great sound, present, smooth, very even sound, fat, warm, and never harsh. I have been working on this speaker for some time now and I think it is there. It sounds great with what ever amp I play through. I think the Port City OS 1x12 is the perfect match for the speaker. I have tried it with a couple of other cabinets, and the Port City is the BEST.

FFTT
08-12-2007, 09:13 PM
Grateful for the time you took to put this together, thanks!

Occam
08-20-2007, 10:57 PM
Every try a Tone Tubby ceramic and an EV in the same cab? Tonally they seem like a good match but I wonder if the EV is going to be too loud for the TT.

zoooombiex
08-21-2007, 01:06 PM
Every try a Tone Tubby ceramic and an EV in the same cab? Tonally they seem like a good match but I wonder if the EV is going to be too loud for the TT.

I haven't tried that mix, but that would be my guess as well. I also think the hemp EV and regular EV would be a great match, but that would be a HEAVY cab!

Kitarist
05-07-2010, 03:57 AM
Thanks for this wonderful review :D :D

ReginaldBisquet
05-07-2010, 08:05 AM
Back from the grave! I hope this information sticks around as it's very helpful!