PDA

View Full Version : Power Tube Too Close to Speaker

Zeon45
12-17-2006, 11:34 AM
Hey Guys,

I bought a Victoria 5112 a few months ago and was surprised to see the 6V6GT power tube nearly touching the speaker magnet. I'm talking 1/6" to 1/8" away. I notified Mark B. at Victoria however he didn't think it was too big a deal but offered to fix it if I sent the amp back. I opted to just keep it. Now I'm wondering if I should have gotten moved away from the speaker. I don't notice any audible affect but it just doesn't seem right. If it was near the preamp tube there would be no question about getting it moved. What do you guys think? It just seems like a poor design.....

Dennis

riffmeister
12-17-2006, 12:08 PM
Bad design. Sent that crappy amp to me; I will take it off your hands just for the cost of shipping..... ;)

billyguitar
12-17-2006, 12:09 PM
So long as it doesn't touch it won't do any harm except heat up the magnet. I was looking at a new Zinky Supro and it had a similar problem. They're just trying to make the cabinets too small. I had a VHT Pittbull combo and the transformer was mounted in such an awkward place that you couldn't put a good speaker in it or the magnet would hit the transformer. Just one of many things that I didn't like about that amp, sorry VHT fans.

Jon Silberman
12-17-2006, 02:34 PM
I've had amps like that. It may not look perfect but sonically it's nothing.

Jon Silberman
12-17-2006, 02:59 PM
Just the opposite as with women, right O T m? ;)