PDA

View Full Version : where in the chain do you put the univibe?

acemcguire
12-18-2006, 09:37 PM
I just got a Fulltone Deja Vibe and I'm trying to figure out where to put it in the chain. Is it like other modulation pedals where you put it post overdrive and pre-delay, or do you put it before overdrive? Thanks.

eric-d
12-18-2006, 10:01 PM
I put mine before any kind of distortion.... As do most people here.... there are a few that prefer there's after their gain..... Try it both ways and see what works best for you...

johnh
12-19-2006, 04:27 AM
I use a Microvibe - not a univibe, but as with my phasers it always goes before overdrive. I find the sound is totally diferent (thin and trebly) after overdrive.

acemcguire
12-20-2006, 11:08 AM
thanks guys. Just trying to get the consensus. It sounds amazing right after the wah and before all other pedals.

Skreddy
12-20-2006, 11:12 AM
Yep; before overdrive. Sometimes I like it after high-gain fuzz/distortion, but I do like an overdrive after it. Actually it sounds great in front of high-gain fuzz too! Monstrous, in fact. But then you lose that watery, dimensional tone.

Last Nerve
12-20-2006, 12:27 PM
I moved my UberVibe all over the place.
And I want to stress, after ODs, like Joe recommends a little bit, I was NOT having any overload problems.
However, I still liked it before the ODs...so that's where it sits. :)

jlagrassa
12-20-2006, 12:49 PM
I always prefered it before any OD or distortion!

braxton906
12-20-2006, 04:32 PM
Wow, I'm so glad you asked this. I got a Megavibe last week and just assumed that I should put it towards the end of the chain after all my OD and distortion pedals; it sounded ok but wasn't as "heavy" as I was hoping for. Anyway, I just now put it at the very front and it sounds so much better! Important reminder here for me: never assume anything!

homerayvaughan
12-20-2006, 08:04 PM
yeah, before OD. I played my microvibe after an od and thought it was broken:Spank

steveb
12-20-2006, 08:32 PM
I like fuzz-vibe-OD & distortion. Or, fuzz-vibe-distorted amp.

The fuzz before it adds to the watery-ness, but NOT without an OD pedal or distorted amp after it. The best recorded example, in IMHO, is Hendrix at Woodstock.

Other people get great sounds running their vibe right after their wah, in front of all fuzzes & distortion pedals.

Steve

Lolaviola
12-20-2006, 10:42 PM
I like fuzz-vibe-OD & distortion. Or, fuzz-vibe-distorted amp.

The fuzz before it adds to the watery-ness, but NOT without an OD pedal or distorted amp after it. The best recorded example, in IMHO, is Hendrix at Woodstock.

Other people get great sounds running their vibe right after their wah, in front of all fuzzes & distortion pedals.

Steve
Do you know if Hendrix at woodstock is vibe>fuzz or the other way round?

steveb
12-21-2006, 07:05 AM
Do you know if Hendrix at woodstock is vibe>fuzz or the other way round?

From the way it sounds, I would say wah>fuzz>vibe>amp. From photos I've seen, it was arranged that way on the stage, from his right to left.

Band of Gypsys was wah>Octavia>fuzz>vibe>amp. Same thing with the photos & sound.

Steve

that_brianm_guy
12-21-2006, 03:50 PM
From the way it sounds, I would say wah>fuzz>vibe>amp. From photos I've seen, it was arranged that way on the stage, from his right to left.

Band of Gypsys was wah>Octavia>fuzz>vibe>amp. Same thing with the photos & sound.

that's how I run mine > teese wah > Electric Smile > Fulltone 70 > Menatone TBIAC > Ultra Vibe > delay > amp

I think it sounds great :D

mattc41
12-21-2006, 04:32 PM
im definitely in the pre-drive camp. it just never sounded right to me after any kind of drive. but there's obviously differing opinions. definitely try both though

that_brianm_guy
12-21-2006, 05:44 PM
im definitely in the pre-drive camp. it just never sounded right to me after any kind of drive. but there's obviously differing opinions. definitely try both though

I'll be doing that this weekend :D

I have a feeling, though, that I won't like the Octavia after the vibe.. anyone running an Octavia (or clone) after their vibe?

steveb
12-21-2006, 07:31 PM

I am too. Vibe before overdrive & distortion. But, fuzzes before the vibe sound good to me as long as there is some dirt after the vibe. Any fuzz or dirt pedal before the vibe with no dirt after the vibe sounds thin to me.

Just trying to clear up any misconceptions about my earlier posts.

Steve

steveb
12-21-2006, 07:36 PM
I'll be doing that this weekend :D

I have a feeling, though, that I won't like the Octavia after the vibe.. anyone running an Octavia (or clone) after their vibe?

I think Deviltone does that, & he gets great sounds that way. I think he runs the vibe before all pedals except the wah wah.

Steve

dividedsky
12-21-2006, 09:18 PM
When using gain with it I think they go better before ODs. However, mine sounds much more lush after my OD (when on low settings) so I keep it there and I just don't use it with a lot of gain cause then it sounds like crap.