PDA

View Full Version : Limited edition Marshall hand wired super 100 Jimi Hendrix signature stack.

Mooncusser
12-20-2006, 08:26 PM
Hi Guys..............

A happy holidays to you.

So, I got the new guitar world magazine in the mail today.
I was psyched because they did a nice piece on Jimi and alot of the older players.

Then, I hit the back cover ad.
It was an ad for the limited edition hand wired super 100 Jimi Hendrix Marshall stack.
The last sentance in the ad said "It doesn't just look like what Jimi played........it IS what Jimi Hendrix played."

Yes, I was speechless and started thinking about selling a kidney
to obtain one of these.

Has anyone out there played one of these yet, or better yet, does anyone out there own one yet?

Please drop a line and let me know the whole low down on this one.
I GOTTA KNOW~~~~~~~~~~:drool

Take care,
Mass

oxtone
12-20-2006, 09:14 PM
Mass,

I heard one at GC in Edina, MN, and WOW!! This amp sounds HUGE!!
It's very LOUD, but not in any harsh way. We jumpered the channels
to blend the Normal and Treble channels, and it sounded great.

I was told that Eric Johnson bought one, and he has said it's the
best Marshall he's ever heard.

At over $6,000 sale price ($8,500 list) it's out of reach for most players.
But, it sure is a great sounding rig, with huge bottom end. It has the tone mods Hendrix had done in the 60's. It breaks up well as you turn it up, and
cleans up with a turn of your guitar volume.

TR-100
12-20-2006, 09:52 PM
E.J. bought two
Tr

pluto
12-20-2006, 10:24 PM
I heard one-it sounded a lot better than the 1959HW I bought. Pretty impressive-even at 10, it didn't sound like your ears were going to rip off. Not sure if I would want to spend 6K on it though. The cabs don't have castors (and leather handles too!) also.

Mooncusser
12-21-2006, 08:18 PM
Thank you for all of the feedback on this one...I believe it would be my dream amp....
I know it is costly as heck, but it is good to hear the feedback for the future.
Is the $6,000 for the head and two cabs?
Take care,
Mass

pluto
12-21-2006, 08:38 PM
Thank you for all of the feedback on this one...I believe it would be my dream amp....
I know it is costly as heck, but it is good to hear the feedback for the future.
Is the $6,000 for the head and two cabs?
Take care,
Mass

It's 6K for the head and cabs.

AdmiralB
12-21-2006, 08:41 PM
I've not played it, but the local GC has one. I'm rather disappointed with the fit and finish - the grill cloth on both cabinets is crooked and wavy.

It's a pretty cool idea, though. Marshall made enough different versions of the basic models they could do special runs of 100 of this variation or that, until the end of time.

Jube2550
12-21-2006, 08:47 PM
It would be a crime for a basement/bedroom player to buy one. Love to see one in action on stage at a live show. Maybe with the legends shadow behind it.

killer blues
12-21-2006, 08:54 PM
I had a chance to run the hendrix rig at the local GC. I also brought my JTM45 clone along for an A/B comparison. My clone sounded better. Had a better feel too. I played in a private room for about 2 hours. Of course, a gig is the real test. My amp was clearer, less muddy, and had more harmonic content at crunch level.

daddyo
12-21-2006, 09:07 PM
I'd love to compare one to a Germino Monterey.

dewman
12-22-2006, 06:05 AM
Rather than dropping 5 grand on that Marshall, I'd get a Germino Monterey or FIllmore, probably for me the FIllmore done up 'Jimi' style. With the money left over you could buy a /13....

pfrischmann
12-22-2006, 06:18 AM
If you are reasonably good with a soldering Iron and patient, you can get there for a lot less by going to www.metroamps.com (http://www.metroamps.com). I built a kit using his parts, learned a lot and The amp sounds great.

I built a plexi clone and took it to a GC and listened with a bunch of guys there. My clone really sounded and felt a lot better...and it was like $1200.00

I've heard marshall has had some real reliability problems wth the transformers they are using...

FWIW.

Rock Fella
12-22-2006, 06:25 AM
[quote=dewman;1919179]Rather than dropping 5 grand on that Marshall, I'd get a Germino Monterey ..............quote]

IMO absolutely the best advice contained within this thread

With the Marshalls they are building nowadays ( I personally wouldnt buy any post 82 Marshall ) there is NO way id spend 6K on one. If I buy an amp, its gotta be reliable and I just couldnt say that about new Marshalls , the transformers imploding issue has just been horrendous and a look under the skin of a new marshall would frighten you .

Id say a guy like Greg Germino with his monterey amp would deliver everything Jimi`s amp did but have the build quality and reliability an amp like that deserves..............that would be my #1 choice if I were looking to cop a Hendrix type tone.

my 2 cents

Jimmy

rockon1
12-22-2006, 06:28 AM
It would be a crime for a basement/bedroom player to buy one. Love to see one in action on stage at a live show. Maybe with the legends shadow behind it.

No that would be great actually.:BEER

SW33THAND5
12-22-2006, 06:29 AM
I've not played it, but the local GC has one. I'm rather disappointed with the fit and finish - the grill cloth on both cabinets is crooked and wavy.

It's a pretty cool idea, though. Marshall made enough different versions of the basic models they could do special runs of 100 of this variation or that, until the end of time.

its about as good as the originals fit and finish...

bluescube
12-22-2006, 06:35 AM
Germino all the way

openbar
12-22-2006, 08:20 AM
Rememer the thread about what classic amps of yesteryear would cost in today's dollars? If I recall, a full Marshall stack back in '69 would cost about $7000 in today's money.

So the reissue is a bargain!

Still, it would be fun to have a stage full of Marshalls ala Jimi, the Stooges or the MC5. What a cool look.

kent
12-22-2006, 10:06 AM
what speakers are in there ?:drool

exodus
12-22-2006, 10:14 AM
does any know what exactly the "jimi" mods were that Marshall is using?

Roe
12-22-2006, 04:19 PM
g12Cs

AdmiralB
12-22-2006, 04:35 PM
does any know what exactly the "jimi" mods were that Marshall is using?

According to Marshall, it's the tone stack. 250pF/56K (JTM) to 470pF/33K (Super Lead).

Mooncusser
12-22-2006, 05:37 PM
Man,

I sure appreciate all of the responses here.

The best I could do with my budget was to get a Marshall 1959 SLP Reissue (no FX loop), and I have it loaded with Valve Art KT-66's, 1960 lead cab.
I was thinking of going the Metroamp route.
My goal was a Metroamp JTM45/100 clone.
I know the Marshall 1959 SLP RI's aren't considered as great as the Germino's or the Metroamps, but I figured it was a good foundation to build on at least.
Take care,
Mass

AdmiralB
12-22-2006, 06:03 PM
I had a couple SLPs in the mid-'90s and converted one to Super Bass specs (essentially the same as the JTM 100s). It sounded great, both with EL34s and KT66s.

OldSchool
12-22-2006, 06:10 PM
I'm gonna get one for the next time I headline a major stadium.........:rolleyes:

That thing is major overkill for anyone outside a touring professional. Even then you better have roadies and be playing at least 2500 seat venues.

If you must have one I'd say hold on 1 year and you should see a Ton in the For sale section by people with Big eyes and looking for a combo to better fit what they are doing. http://www.thegearpage.net/board/images/icons/icon12.gif

oxtone
12-22-2006, 06:16 PM
I recently heard an 18 watt clone made from a kit from Ted Weber, and this $500 head sounded GREAT! The builder used beefier components for some of it. It was a favorite for me at the recent Twin Cities Amp Fest.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/oxtone/Sample_312.jpg

Mooncusser
12-22-2006, 06:40 PM
I'm gonna get one for the next time I headline a major stadium.........:rolleyes:

That thing is major overkill for anyone outside a touring professional. Even then you better have roadies and be playing at least 2500 seat venues.

If you must have one I'd say hold on 1 year and you should see a Ton in the For sale section by people with Big eyes and looking for a combo to better fit what they are doing. http://www.thegearpage.net/board/images/icons/icon12.gif

I don't play major stadiums or 2,500 seat venues either.
I have had it for years now and I love and adore it. The huge sound and 3-D effect I get out of it is wonderful.
That's all that really matters.
What I may enjoy you may not and visa-versa.........
To each their own........:) ~~~~ACUNA MATADDA~~~~:)
Happy holidays to you as well.
Take care,
Mass

procos
12-22-2006, 06:46 PM
I don't play major stadiums or 2,500 seat venues either.
I have had it for years now and I love and adore it. The huge sound and 3-D effect I get out of it is wonderful.
That's all that really matters.
What I may enjoy you may not and visa-versa.........
To each their own........:) ~~~~ACUNA MATADDA~~~~:)
Happy holidays to you as well.
Take care,
Mass

Don't take it personal Old School can be a curmudgeon at times.

Mooncusser
12-22-2006, 07:14 PM

Oh no buddy,....
I didn't take that personal.
I was just throwing out there that some people like things that you wouldn't expect.:)
Take care,
Mass

1973Marshall
12-22-2006, 08:11 PM
Yeah, I have to say 100w Marshalls are hard to tame, but with the right pedals and attenuators, using something smaller than a 4x12, you would be shocked.

I exclusively used a 100w Marshall with an OCD and some other pedals, set very low, thru a 1x12 for tons of gigs in 2005 and didn't regret it one bit. Amazing tones that worked in a lot of rock and country situations.

Roe
12-23-2006, 09:22 AM

I don't agree at all. this may hold for a later super lead, but not for a jtm45/100. it's not 120w like the later models but rather 70w - and it sounds much darker and warmer. with inefficient speakers like g12m heritage, this is not very loud.

z3
12-23-2006, 09:53 AM
i think a big part of the sound of the 'hendrix' stack is the oversized bottom 4-12. not 'thumpy', like modern cabs, but thick and warm.
like the offset JTM-45 RI and the JTM45/100 RI stack, i suspect the 'hendrix' stack will become quite collectible.

Jerrod
12-23-2006, 11:25 AM
If anybody in the NW has one of the JH amps, they can bring it over and compare it to my Germino Monterey. And I agree with those who noted that the JH/Monterey/etc lineage isn't punishingly loud. They are warm, round, and have a big firm bottom. Not difficult at all to get to just moderately loud levels, where my 74 Super Lead can kill a squirrel at 100 yards.

OldSchool
12-23-2006, 11:50 AM

Hey I call it like I see it is all. I think its overkill and I predict Killer prices on these used in the near future. These were built for 1968 back before they had House PA's in almost every club you go to like nowadays.

Most people IMO (you can take that and a quarter and go get a phone call) will buy it and sell it with in a year after the Glory has worn off and you get tired of cramming it inside a mini Van and in the back door of a club or fixing the wall hangings around the house after trying to practice with it at home. Better have an understanding wife as well. http://www.thegearpage.net/board/images/icons/icon14.gif

kindburro
12-23-2006, 01:21 PM
OK, how about a little Marshall trivia and some interesting points re: the JTM-45/100 "Super Amplifier", the original and the current HW versions that consist of the 40th Anniversary and the JH stack.........

The first of these amps were the dual O/T versions that were requested by Townsend back in 65. A huge potted Radio Spares PT and dual 50 watt OPT's were used. Each OPT ran a single speaker jack, so in essence two 50 watt output stages that each pushed a 4 X 12 speaker arranngement.

Typical of these amps , JTM-45's the two output version or these 4 output tube monstrosities, was very low filtering, especially in the screen supply. The tone stage and preamp stage were not decoupled and shared 16uf of filtering. Fairly low considering what was used by early 68 and later in the 100 watt series.
Circuit used was the classic JTM circuit, the same employed in a Bass model or "Super Bass" if we are talking 4 output tubes, and very similar to the circuits in the PA amps. Not the later "lead" circuit that surfaced as early as late 67 to early 68 but not in prolific use until mid 68 I say.
To clarify or to digress....early circuit is specified as.....shared cathode, 250pf/56K tone stack values, .1uf output stage coupling caps.
In the preamp both V1a and V1b coupling caps are.022uf.
Negative feedback resistor value is 27K. That's a fair amount of NFB being sent back into the circuit, so not a lot of output stage gain happening.

The later "lead" and "super lead" values were split cathode arrangement on the pre-amp. (early amps used 820 resistor on both sides, later V1B side recieved a 2.7K, both bypassed with a .68uf cap). V1B coupling cap value changed to .0022uf. Tone stack was changed to 500pf (or 560pf at times) and 33k slope resistor, output stage coupling caps went to .022uf in value. NFB resistor was increased to 47K (56K sometimes, like in a lot of '69 100 watters) This gave less negative feedback and more output stage gain.

So back to the JTM-45/100.........After the dual O/T version the trannies were standarized so to speak and the huge 3" Drake 1204-43 PT came into use and the single Drake 2" 1202-84 OPT was used. This OPT had a very high primary impedance of 4K. That's about twice what four 6L6 family tubes like to "see" as far as reflected impedance. The old GEC KT-66's were pretty happy with that upwards mismatch, I dare say more efficient than a modern Shuguang KT-66. But at any rate this is inefficient operation that is fact with an upwards reflected impedance ratio. So these early amps are not as ferociously loud as the later EL-34 100 watters. Upwards impedance mismatch will give a softer feel, more give due to the inefficiency. Now, add a second cab and leave the amp set at 16 ohms and the primary impedance of the OT is halved (now at 2K) and the amp becomes much more dymnamic, more efficient and yes, loud!
Circuit was unchanged from that of the earlier dual OPT version. There were some slight revisions I have seen on the filter board layout and filtering of the phase inverter specifically and the last of these amps used an end block aluminum chassis that held up a lot better. We could get deeper but this the gist of these original models.
So the JH stack is based on the single OPT version of the JTM-45/100 "Super Amplifier".......but with a couple of changes that members here on this thread have been kind enough to point out. Yes, the tone stack was changed to the later "lead" values of 500pf/33K slope resistor. This pushed the range where the tone controls operate specifically in the upper mids. It might even be thought of as brightening the amp up a bit. The original versions were pretty dark unless the Treble, Mid and Presence controls were spun up around 7 or 8. Even with this mod you still need to push the controls a bit to get out of darker territory. However with a strat it is pretty nice!
The other aspect of the JH amp that is not disclosed but is there for the astute eye to see is the pre-amp and tone stage are decoupled by a 10K resistor and each stage gets 32uf of filtering. This is pretty far from the two stages not being decoupled and sharing 16uf. This tightens things up and drops votage at the pre-amp slightly. It's a feel thing and does affect the sound as well.
The speakers used in the Hendrix cabs are G12C's. Not sure what this is really. Perhaps a deviant of the Heritage G12M, maybe a Bass cone version of this speaker. I would be interested in additional info just as we all would.
Tall bottom cab so more air space. Nice to see this being replicated.
I have measurements from an original and will be doing these perhaps in 2007.

The Monterey Classic as shown on my website does not have the Hendrix spec's incorporated. The last one I built, which Jerrod owns, we decided to utilized these component changes. I was very pleased with the results and thought it did remove some of the inherent dark character that has always been part of this circuit design. The decoupling of the tone and preamp stage was welcome also and gave a tightening feel/removed some softness seemingly adding a bit of clarity.

I have said this before and will add again that with the two HW versions from Marshall regarding this model, George at Metroamp with his version of the "Super Amplifier", plus my version the Monterey Classic, there are more choices available to players than ever before. Original clean examples of a JTM-45/100, if you can find one are bringing big $$$$$.
Add that there were not that many made and these new models are all the more desireable.

Merry Christmas to all,
keep those amps turned up!
Greg Germino

Jerrod
12-23-2006, 01:45 PM
Not that Greg needs more cred, but let me offer my whole-hearted endorsement of this Monterey. :D

What a cool amp.

z3
12-24-2006, 05:12 AM
Add that there were not that many made and these new models are all the more desireable.

Merry Christmas to all,
keep those amps turned up!
Greg Germino

what an astoundingly great attitude to have.
i've seen other 'boo-took' makers rip marshall for the limited edition reissues.
kudos!

908SSP
12-24-2006, 10:34 AM
Is this made by Marshall?
http://marshallamps.com/images/product_see_it/1959chassisbig.jpg

Why yes it is. ;)

badtoneno
12-24-2006, 11:48 AM
Yeah, I have to say 100w Marshalls are hard to tame, but with the right pedals and attenuators, using something smaller than a 4x12, you would be shocked.

I exclusively used a 100w Marshall with an OCD and some other pedals, set very low, thru a 1x12 for tons of gigs in 2005 and didn't regret it one bit. Amazing tones that worked in a lot of rock and country situations.

+1. After going through tons of boutique amps I've found the same thing and am back to old Marshalls. The OCD works great and I use an H&K Tubefactor for higher gain stuff. I'm also using an Allesandro Muzzle for attenuation and I've gotta say its the best attenuator I've used yet.

I haven't been happier with a rig in my life. Sure it can get loud but with this setup, I have basically a 3 channel amp that I can control and get better tone than I got with lots of other stuff costing way more.

mj07
04-13-2011, 09:27 PM
Bringing back an old thread- got to crank my JH100 stack for a bit today. Man, what ridiculous tone from this set up. Straight guitar to amp even, it is just so full sounding. I wish I could really turn it up more- seems to happen less and less these days. I need to put off yard work more.:p

MRscratch
04-13-2011, 11:10 PM
yup, i have one of these. it is an absolutely great machine. the amp is not as loud as say a mid 70's JMP, but has a rounder, warmer tone. the amp comes stock with jj ecc83 i believe. i have swapped in various old stock tubes, and it really opens up.
this amp when cranked , has huge over the top gain. i was really surprised.
i have heard clips of the Metro, and it is killer as well. i have spoken to others who have both the metro version, and the marshall version. what i dont know, is if the metro has the jimi mods, or is just a stock super 100 amp.
the other forum member assured me that the marshall was just as good as the metro.
this is just a killer amp that is going to be pretty rare. i cant knit pick over little nuances, but im really happy with the amp. it takes pedals so well, and just looks awesome. and sounds awesome as well.
i will get clips out.

Jdawg
10-11-2012, 03:50 AM
Has anybody here checked out the run of these from '94? Are they the same components as the ones everyone was talking about in this thread? There were, apparently, 30 purple stacks made in '94 for Guitar Center, and I'm curious to know if anyone here has played through one and what you might know about them. I also read that there were a total of 100 released in the US market at that time. Someone is selling one near me and I'm wondering if they are quality amps.

windjamma
10-11-2012, 05:04 AM
I am no expert but that purple amp was not a jtm45/100 and was not handwired, not saying it isn't a good amp though but different from the jh.

the super 100jh is a great amp build wise and sound wise without a shadow of a doubt.

MRscratch
10-11-2012, 07:19 AM
I sold mine. i like the sound of a JMP better. I bought a 69 plexi (real plexi).
I just like el-34 in my Marshalls.
I must say that the Jimi sounded fabulous though. i really liked it.

67mike
10-11-2012, 07:31 AM
I am going to order a stack for my basement.....gotta have it.

LOL.

jboyjams
10-11-2012, 07:49 AM
I have the #462 stack. Also have #290 head and sold another bottom cab that I got at an auction.
I didn't plan on having all this stuff - really just wanted a head and cab, but jumped on a great deal from GC in NJ. I'm having a hard time deciding on which head to keep. Both are very nice and slightly different, probably due to tubes and bias.

These amps make all pedals sound great, and have by far the best cleans I've heard - it sounds dead on Little Wing with all the knobs at noon. Adding more Mid and Treble adds more gain too. When cranked into channel 2 with a Gibson, it's vintage Cream. I realize why people thought Eric was using a Fuzz pedal. The cabs are very sweet too.

Huge tones!

http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab266/jboyjams/Gear/HendrixStacks.jpg

Jdawg
10-11-2012, 12:20 PM
I am no expert but that purple amp was not a jtm45/100 and was not handwired, not saying it isn't a good amp though but different from the jh.

the super 100jh is a great amp build wise and sound wise without a shadow of a doubt.

So, you think the ones from '94 are not as good? The guy says it's handwired and a few places on the web also say that, but I'm not finding a lot of info on them. Maybe finding a used handwired Plexi is a better way to go.

I've not had a Marshall since I was a kid but I'm itching to get one now. Those old Plexi tones are heavenly to me.

killer blues
10-11-2012, 12:48 PM
So, you think the ones from '94 are not as good? The guy says it's handwired and a few places on the web also say that, but I'm not finding a lot of info on them. Maybe finding a used handwired Plexi is a better way to go.

I've not had a Marshall since I was a kid but I'm itching to get one now. Those old Plexi tones are heavenly to me.

I played through a purple one with my hendrix tribute strat back around '96 at a GC in cherry hill nj. My buddy got one nos back in '98. It is a great amp, really good with my strat and a sunface. I think it had the G12H 55hz speakers in the cabs.

windjamma
10-11-2012, 12:51 PM

Iam sure its a great amp, i do not know enough about them to be honest they are quite rare as i have seen relatively few for sale.

Jdawg
10-11-2012, 12:53 PM
I played through a purple one with my hendrix tribute strat back around '96 at a GC in cherry hill nj. My buddy got one nos back in '98. It is a great amp, really good with my strat and a sunface. I think it had the G12H 55hz speakers in the cabs.

Cool. Thank you. The guy here just has the head and wants $1650. It seems like an OK price for a handwired Plexi. Maybe there is better stuff for the money tho.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

windjamma
10-11-2012, 12:59 PM
check its handwired i dont think they are but i may be wrong not that it matters, just would not want you buying it thinking it's HW and it's not

jboyjams
10-11-2012, 01:11 PM
Cool. Thank you. The guy here just has the head and wants $1650. It seems like an OK price for a handwired Plexi. Maybe there is better stuff for the money tho.

Sorry for the thread hijack.
I agree with windjamma - I'd ask for gut pics.

I thought those were like the 1959 reissues but not sure.
Check this out - (said they came with 5881 or EL34 tubes):
http://www.blamepro.com/marhdrix.htm

This says it is hand-wired (1959SLP-HW):
http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_amps_detail.asp?stock=com-G15ES188

This says it is not hand-wired (1959LTD):
http://www.marshallforum.com/marshall-amps/40485-when-did-1959hw-reissue-first-appear.html

Video:
"100 watt Marshall Plexi RI 1959SLP 1994 LTD Purple Hendrix model w/ Greenbacks 25 watt, NOS EL34 Tesla's and ECC83's, Volumes jumpered both on 7."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLjfULSLtRQ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLjfULSLtRQ)

If it is a 1959LTD, then it's probably not hand-wired (unless it was modified, I saw a different one with a Friedman turret board added):
http://www.amparchives.com/album/Marshall/100%20Watt%20Series%201965-1981/1959LTD%20Super%20Lead%20100W/1959LTD%20Super%20Lead%20100W%20SN%201005%20-%20Limited%20Edition%20Jimi%20Hendrix%20Marshall%2 0Stack%20(PURPLE)/index.html

ufguy73
10-11-2012, 02:05 PM
not handwired...kind of totally different deal and objective than the latter 100jh.

there is some good info here too:

http://www.vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&start=0&t=804

Jdawg
10-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Hmm, I still haven't got pics of the gut but I have found a few things that say that they were handwired. Here is something about it from the UK market:

Released in 1994 to commemorate Marshall's first run of handwired amplifers, the Hendrix reissue stack is a one of only 100 made for Europe. Finished in Royal Purple Tolex, the Limited Edition Jimi Hendrix Stack features a 1959SLP-HW head, a 1982 straight cab and a 1960 angled cab.

ufguy73
10-11-2012, 08:05 PM
at this point, i would contact marshall directly

stratzrus
10-11-2012, 08:55 PM
It would be a crime for a basement/bedroom player to buy one.No that would be great actually. :beerI was actually living in a basement when I had a NMV Model 1969 JCM800 full stack and it sounded glorious.

The problem was (and here's where your beer comes in) I would come home from work, crack a cold one, and then start to play. As I approached the bottom of the can the volume would slowly creep up until I reached the happy spot but by the time I finished playing my ears would ring for hours.

Ultimately I sold it to save my hearing but it's the one piece of gear I really miss.

As a result I'd be tempted to jump on the Hendrix rig despite the price but it's just not the right time. Too bad because the neighbors in my apartment building would love it. ;)

Jdawg
10-12-2012, 12:49 AM
I still have not recieved gut shots or the serial number. If he doesn't get back to me then I'm thinking I'll have a friend of mine build me a 50 watt Plexi. Unless I can find a cheap enough handwired Plexi. I'd love a real 60s head but can't spend 3k

malaki
01-30-2013, 12:24 AM
does anyone have high res gut shots of the amps
(high res enough to be able to read the text on the parts)?