PDA

View Full Version : What is the Sovtek MIG 50 Comparable to?

agreatheight
12-30-2006, 12:10 PM
OK, the Sovtek MIG 50, I found out the Mr. Bruno from Bruno Amplification may have designed this amp. Does anyone know if this design is based on another design, or if the tones are relative to another amp, either intentionally or unintentionally? In otherwords, what is this head most comparable to?

Thanks in advance!!

n.j.
12-30-2006, 12:16 PM
I've had four of them over the years, and always kick myself for selling them when they're gone. It has it's own thing going on, in my experience, but sounds very much like a 50W Plexi, especially if you run both channels together. Great amp, still cheap and underappreciated.

AlexF
12-30-2006, 12:52 PM
I believe the MIG50 was supposed to be loosely Bassman based, whilst the MIG60 went after Marshall.
Al

Chrome Dinette
12-30-2006, 01:48 PM
There are 2 mig 50's, one of them with a master volume.

The schematic for the one without looks more or less like a Bassman. I had one of those, it stayed extremely clean until pushed really hard, not my cup of tea.

The master volume 50 and the 60 are very similar, except the 60 has el34's instead of 6l6's. The 60s are in a wider cab and look cheesier in build quality to my eye, with their circuit cards mounted on one edge.

The master volume 50 is the nicest sounding one of the bunch, in stock form. I wish I hadn't sold mine.

I use as my main amp a Mig 100 converted to el34's. I addeed an extra transformer for the el34 heaters and changed the opt to an old Hammond out of a YBA-3 and it sounds pretty great. I also change the bypass cap on the first gain stage to something bigger, I can't remember what value.

Chrome Dinette
12-30-2006, 01:50 PM
None of the master volume ones really resemble Marshall's that much, IMHO. The tone stacks are not fed by a cathode follower, for example.

Chrome Dinette
12-30-2006, 01:54 PM
schematics:

http://tdsl.duncanamps.com/schematics2.php?make=Sovtek

The "mig 50 midget" is the mv model. I have not seen a mig 60 schematic, but I think it is the same as the 50, with appropriate changes to screen resistor and bias values.

Chrome Dinette
12-30-2006, 01:57 PM
Sorry about the incessant posts, but I am sort of a fan of these.

Their big downfall are the transformers. Many of them are rusty. I think they left the factory that way.

I ordered a spare pt and opt from them when they still had stock and they showed up with rust on them. They only charged $25 apiece for them, though, and this was for the 100 watt model.

n.j.
12-30-2006, 02:36 PM
The MIG-60 is my main amp in one of my bands, for four years now. Has yet to require maintenance of any kind, even the tubes are still going. It's essentially a JCM 800 (2204 circuit) clone with almost 600V on the plates, whereas the non-master 50, my second favorite Sovtek, is an early Plexi clone. The 50 stays cleaner longer, but with the channels jumpered it gets pretty thick.

I had a master volume 50 (The MIG-50H, for those keeping score) and I couldn't stand it. Tons of gain available, but it either sounded thin and raspy or was an unstoppable feedback machine. I also had the Bassov Blues Midget, which is a straight Bassman clone. Stayed clean way too long for what I needed, but it sounded awesome.

Here's a picture from 2003, the height of it. Two MIG-60s are missing from this pic:

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~john3874/magic/sovtek%20mountain.jpg

Chrome Dinette
12-30-2006, 02:51 PM
NJ, what band are you in, out of curiosity?

agreatheight
12-30-2006, 04:30 PM
Thanks everyone, I greatly apreciate the info. I am debating selling my MIG 50 so I wanted to get as much info on it as possible. It has certainly served me well for the small amount I have used it - they are some great heads for sure. Thanks again!

Chrome Dinette
12-31-2006, 09:06 AM
I suspect there is some variation among the models, because my experience with the Mig 50 and Mig 50 Tube Midget was sort of the opposite of what NJ ran into.

My band played with TGP poster Phantasms band last night and his Tube Midget sounded pretty good as well.

Sorry that we didn't answer the original question regarding Bruno.

There were a few of the Tube Midget heads made with really nice finger jointed wood and a clear finish instead of tolex.

Anyway, here's mine:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a352/chrome_dinette/PC300012.jpg

Tag
12-31-2006, 10:55 AM
I played a mig 50 or 100 (can not remember) and it had a MV. It was a SMOKING amp, that sounded like a great hot Marshall.

Alvis
12-31-2006, 12:30 PM
I bought a MiG 50 out on the road back in 99 for 175 bucks. A pretty good bassman/marshall sound on a budget.I took mine to Europe and left it over there.Like someone said ,the transformers are kinda suspect.I suspect my power tranny to go anyday.Last spring in Switzerland I had one of the Soyuz space program filter caps blow it's top on stage.The amp started smokin but kept tickin.At the last chord I kicked it offstage like some Ritchie Blackmore .Luckily I found a cool electronic store in Zurich and got new caps.
I do wish I'd bought a couple more when they were sellin pretty cheap.

Chrome Dinette
01-22-2007, 08:21 PM
I know this thread started out being about the Mig50, but it quickly wandered. So, here's the latest of my Mig100, now with 6550's, bias test points and locking 10 turn bias adjustment:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a352/chrome_dinette/migbias.jpg

If anyone has a Mig that behaves badly, check the guts against a schematic. I had been thinking mine sounded a little thin, and the coupling cap between the first two gain stages was .022 instead of .047 as shown on the schematic. Changing it definitely made a difference. Also, the .1 caps between the PI and the power tubes were only 250v caps, which is pushing it.

eric-d
01-22-2007, 10:45 PM
I had a Mig 50 for a while about 7 years ago... sounded cool until it fried itself one night. definitely Bassman / plexi like. I would like to get another and make a little combo outta it.

dazco
01-22-2007, 11:34 PM
Sorry about the incessant posts, but I am sort of a fan of these.

Their big downfall are the transformers. Many of them are rusty. I think they left the factory that way.

I ordered a spare pt and opt from them when they still had stock and they showed up with rust on them. They only charged $25 apiece for them, though, and this was for the 100 watt model.

Well, i'm not an expert to be sure, but what if rust were a GOOD thing?! Check this out from mercury magnetics in thier FAQS......

http://www.mercurymagnetics.com/pages/didyouknow.htm#Transformer_Rust

Hackubus
01-23-2007, 12:18 AM
I've got a Mig50 Tube Midget in the finger jointed cab (the Lunch Pail head).
Any idea how old this thing might be?

As to the sound, well...it's dark sounding. Has a nice Marshally flavored grind, but very farty & flabby to my old wore out ears. With a good pedal or even the BBE sonic maximizer it can be dialed out. Makes for a pretty good backup amp or the one to take to those couples nites at the ol' Gun 'n Knife clubs. (those fear for your life shows)

gldtp99
01-23-2007, 02:12 AM
here's a link to pics of the last Mig 50 i re-did---- new panel mounted pots, screen grid resistors, all e-caps, etc--- this is the 2nd one i've re-done like this-- this one's new owner is very happy with it--- the old cap cans were in bad shape so i converted to 35mm clamp mount cans---- one of the orig Russian vol pots was bad so i just changed them all---- the factory used some different value tone caps in this one--- didn't match the schematic--- i A/B'd this one against the 1st one i did (owned by a friend) and this one was a little darker sounding but still a pretty decent amp----- they sound sort of like early marshalls--- very solidly built, if a little on the crude side..............gldtp99----- Link-- http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f112/gldtp99/Sovtek%20mig%2050/

Chrome Dinette
01-23-2007, 05:04 AM
Well, i'm not an expert to be sure, but what if rust were a GOOD thing?! Check this out from mercury magnetics in thier FAQS......

http://www.mercurymagnetics.com/pages/didyouknow.htm#Transformer_Rust

Thaks for that link. I had never read that.

Chrome Dinette
01-23-2007, 05:08 AM
I've got a Mig50 Tube Midget in the finger jointed cab (the Lunch Pail head).
Any idea how old this thing might be?

I think these amps were only sold in the early to mid 90's. A couple music stores near me had some old stock laying around as late as 1999.