PDA

View Full Version : Good Guitar cables??

StratTone
01-06-2007, 04:43 PM
I need some feedback on a REALLY good guitar cable. What do you use that is a lifetimer?? I've used some cheapo peavey cables for a long time with no trouble but I have a little more money to spend with my age now and would like some nice nice ones. What do you use? Give me a link to if you can. Thanks.

BBAKE1
01-06-2007, 04:52 PM
Go to the Lava Cable site. Evidence, Cadras, etc...... There is a difference.:AOK

Skip62
01-06-2007, 05:18 PM
I've mostly used cheap GC cables, then one of the guys a GC talked me into some cable that has to be plugged in a certain way - hated it. It was expensive and I just gave it away. Then I read post from a studio musician that had 7 of buddy's get together with every cable they could find and all of them picked the Mogami's with Nuetrik ends. I switched 2 weeks ago and I really like the tone. According to the Lava cable guide they say it colors the sound, which may be true, but it's a really nice color...:) My .$02

wreck1
01-06-2007, 05:20 PM
Evidence Audio

ssdeluxe
01-06-2007, 05:20 PM
don't believe the hype, you don't need to spend alot, just make sure it has good connectors and is flexible, mho, many are trying to sell the difference, but there are so many other factors @ play, save your money .my humble 2 cents (canadian, ....so its not worth as much !!.lol ):D

jtriffo
01-06-2007, 06:55 PM
you should go for something with gold plated ends, because they dont oxidize, and try to avoid monster cables, wayy over priced. and go for something that has a lifetime warranty, that way if it breaks, you can just bring it back and get a new one.
occasionally guitar center has some good cables for cheap,(~18$) i useally get them when they have a special like that.

billyguitar
01-06-2007, 07:13 PM
Monster cables are generally dark toned and the ends break. I always suggest looking at Lavacable. See what's in your price range and order some that are fairly flexible. He'll put straight or angle ends on. He uses great ends that will last for years. Do this and don't look back. You'll be assured you got good cables at a fair price.
SRV did say he liked those cheap coil cords, and Albert Collins used a 100' cord. Both will take the highs off and given their guitars and amps, less highs would be a good thing. The big problem with some cheap cables isn't so much the rolled off highs but the spikey mids.

Tone_Terrific
01-06-2007, 07:14 PM
This has been kicked about before.
The sonic differences between "good" and "bad" are noticeable, but you may prefer "bad"....subjective
The sonic differences between "good" and "good" are hardly noticeable and you may find they disappear in band situations.
You can try a bunch or just get something with Switchcraft or Neutrik connectors that is rugged and doesn't rattle when you shake it (Canare, etc) and be happy (maybe).
NOTE: Neutrik ends are big.....space consuming

Weldaar
01-06-2007, 07:21 PM
Spectra-Flex, Whirlwind, or anything affordable. They all do the same thing.

Nick Patterson
01-06-2007, 07:33 PM
I've got the Vox Premium Vintage Coil Cable ($29.99) that I think sounds better than the monster I used to have. Plus it's 27 feet. The fact that it coils is great as well.

seanw1010
01-06-2007, 07:39 PM
i just use cheap 10$ PROformance 13' cables for everything-does the trick

CitizenCain
01-06-2007, 07:52 PM
Planet Waves Classic. I picked up a nice 20' with one right-angle end for $19.95 at Music-Go-Round. Sounds great and it's nice and flexible.

wescattle
01-06-2007, 08:04 PM
what are the cables with the really thick connectors

StratTone
01-06-2007, 08:21 PM
Well I'm not really looking for anything for sound better or worse type deal but something that I don't have to EVER worry about replacing. Something very durable. My cables are still in great working order but I still have to wiggle them now and again. No open in the wire but just old....

JRenn
01-06-2007, 08:29 PM
Kordex. Picked up a few for my acoustic rig, and now I use 'em in my electric setup. You can buy them here...

www.shorelinemusic.com/accessories/kordex.shtml (http://www.shorelinemusic.com/accessories/kordex.shtml)

Great guys to buy from, too. Hope it helps.

Rambo66
01-06-2007, 11:18 PM
you should go for something with gold plated ends, because they dont oxidize

I've been playing guitar professionally for over 20 years and I have never had the connectors oxidize. That's some marketing shit to get you to spend too much money on something needless.

JDJ
01-07-2007, 05:51 AM
http://www.bayoucables.com/

Great cable with lifetime warranty. Support the little guys.

wreck1
01-07-2007, 06:58 AM
evidence audio cables are built to last they are pricey but they are the best ive used thus far. as far as cheap cables go musicinsfriend use to offer dirt cheap cables with a yellow sheath like covering on towards the end of the cables and i bought a bunch of them and got maybe two weeks use total from about 10 cables!!!!! so yeah there is a difference, just like there is a difference in cabs, guitars, pedals and anything else. if it didnt matter why would there be thousands of different makers of all these things, instead of just having one cable maker, one guitar maker, etc....if anyone can prove to me that there is no difference in evidence audio melody cables vs. radio shack cables, let me know and ill def. switch.....

Clorenzo
01-07-2007, 08:07 AM
I've been playing guitar professionally for over 20 years and I have never had the connectors oxidize. That's some marketing shit to get you to spend too much money on something needless.I admit that I don't have a reliable reference to this (a few audio forums and Wikipedia articles pop up in Google but that's not what I call a reliable reference) and it's not my field of expertise, but my understanding has always been that it's actually *worse* to use gold plated jacks if the sockets aren't also gold plated. The effect is small and only a concern in high humidity conditions, but the difference in electronegativity between gold and nickel plus the ambient humidity will eventually corrode the nickel. You should use gold plated connectors with gold plated sockets and nickel plated connectors with nickel plated sockets (which is what you find in most amps and pedals).

To answer the original question, I've always made all my cables with Neutrik connectors and either Van Damme or Cordial cable and have never had a problem. Tone Terrific is right that Neutrik jacks are bulky but they have this new, slimmer type which is what I've been using since it came out some months ago: http://www.thomann.de/gb/neutrik_np_2_x.htm

frank4001
01-07-2007, 08:23 AM
Check out PRO-CO Starguard series. Reasonalbly priced and have a sleeve one the input end that shorts it till you plug it in all the way. 20 year warranty. Flexible too. I the bang for the buck starts to plummet after a certain point on cables. YMMV.

buddastrat
01-07-2007, 08:57 AM
My favorite cable whenever I was gigging was always a cheap Peavey. It worked well, didn't tangle, sounded thick. Some of those cables make your sound thin and bright. Those ones you chop the ends off suck. But someone might one a clear, puny tone. Until I really sat down and experimented I didn't realize how much difference there was.

Also the cable that comes with Gibson historics is the worst POS ever. thins the sound and makes tons of noise when you move it around. It's the braided one, they actually look like good quality.

Go Peavey! Also the old proco cables sounded great and lasted forever.

wescattle
01-07-2007, 10:27 AM
who makes those guitar cables that have a much thicker chrome input thing than other cables....they seem to be alot more durable than the cables i have been using

here is a pic of what im talking about

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/5053/dsc0050pl1.jpg

you can see it at the input of eds guitar

very cool picture too

Tone_Terrific
01-07-2007, 10:37 AM
. My cables are still in great working order but I still have to wiggle them now and again. No open in the wire but just old....

Check your guitar jack.

mainsale
01-07-2007, 10:49 AM
KLOTZ is my cable of choice.

Mooncusser
01-07-2007, 11:49 AM
I have always been interested in the Evidence Audio Lyric HG 21' cable....but the price stops me every time.
If I was in high demand and money wasn't an object, that would probably be my first purchase.
Do any of you Lyric HG users want to fill me in on them in comparision (tonal qualities or dynamics differences) to what I use...ProCo?
Thanks and all the best,
Mass

candid_x
01-07-2007, 03:08 PM
Mogami Gold. Bought three 10 footers three years ago and was amazed what a difference they make. The cable is softer, which makes it easy to store, and it doesn't kink up too badly. Only thing is, if you're jumping all over your cable while playing, you might choose something a bit more bullet proof. Otherwise, it's the most transparent cable I've found. Never a lick of problems with the cables or connectors.

scottlr
01-07-2007, 03:46 PM
I've got the Vox Premium Vintage Coil Cable ($29.99) that I think sounds better than the monster I used to have. Plus it's 27 feet. The fact that it coils is great as well.

where'd you find that? I used to have a great coiled cable, but I am not sure what happened to it. I loved it though.

For many years, the standard was just good Belden cable with Switchcraft ends. Make em yourself. I have never bought into the hype with those boutique high dollar cables. Maybe for studio connections, but on stage, all I need is a reliable cable that doesn't twist up on me.

slowburn
01-07-2007, 03:50 PM
I would go with canare gs-6 with neutrik connectors (from lavaman). very reasonably priced and sound better than planetwaves, and other generic GC brands. I'm sure there are "better" more expensive brands (evidence audio, etc...) but for most people I'm sure canare would suit them just fine.

fender23
01-07-2007, 03:54 PM
I like George L's. Red ones. Affordable to me.

wreck1
01-07-2007, 03:58 PM
I have always been interested in the Evidence Audio Lyric HG 21' cable....but the price stops me every time.
If I was in high demand and money wasn't an object, that would probably be my first purchase.
Do any of you Lyric HG users want to fill me in on them in comparision (tonal qualities or dynamics differences) to what I use...ProCo?
Thanks and all the best,
Mass

i have two of the evidence melody cables, and from the descriptions cant really tell too much a differnce in them except price. the melody ones are blue and the lyrics are green cordded wrapped. they all have the (im not sure if im using proper terminlogy here) sheath like covering around them its not like carpet ,but its braided_there maybe thats the word i was looking for. any help??? anyways i have found that braided cables also offer a new level of protection from being stepped on or wrapped up, its sort of like a bulletproof vest for the cable so to speak. i also have a dizmario-sp? corded or braided cable that is working really great now too. i would highly reccomend buying a cable that is braided. it adds a lot to the life of the cord. buy the eveidence melody is an unbelieveable cable!!! i notice a pure tone that doesnt alter sound in anyway, and eliminates all fuzz, hum or hiss. they are very druable and look great to boot! alterantely when you order them you can choose a noiseless neutrik ends for the cable i believe. i bought both mine used on the forum and occasionly you can find them used on ebay. I do like the monster cables that have the jack that shorts the cable so you can unplug and plug without putting your amp on standby. and all monsters have a lifetime warranty. but i inly use those for my studio monitor cables so i can say too much about them. also evidence makes speaker wire for combo amps and speaker cabs to replace the old speaker wire that comes standard, im going to try that next as well as some speaker cables, and pedal connectors. they make mic cables too which is amazing bc ive been on the hunt for some really good mic cables, so ill give it a whirl and remember you can always sell it if you dont like it!!!!! thats my 10 cents my 2 cents was free lol.....

Sean French
01-07-2007, 04:07 PM
I've been using Mogami 25/24 cables for years.They have a flat response to my ears.Zero cale noise and are very tough.They are not expensive either.

Mooncusser
01-07-2007, 04:09 PM
i have two of the evidence melody cables, and from the descriptions cant really tell too much a differnce in them except price. the melody ones are blue and the lyrics are green cordded wrapped. they all have the (im not sure if im using proper terminlogy here) sheath like covering around them its not like carpet ,but its braided_there maybe thats the word i was looking for. any help??? anyways i have found that braided cables also offer a new level of protection from being stepped on or wrapped up, its sort of like a bulletproof vest for the cable so to speak. i also have a dizmario-sp? corded or braided cable that is working really great now too. i would highly reccomend buying a cable that is braided. it adds a lot to the life of the cord. buy the eveidence melody is an unbelieveable cable!!! i notice a pure tone that doesnt alter sound in anyway, and eliminates all fuzz, hum or hiss. they are very druable and look great to boot! alterantely when you order them you can choose a noiseless neutrik ends for the cable i believe. i bought both mine used on the forum and occasionly you can find them used on ebay. I do like the monster cables that have the jack that shorts the cable so you can unplug and plug without putting your amp on standby. and all monsters have a lifetime warranty. but i inly use those for my studio monitor cables so i can say too much about them. also evidence makes speaker wire for combo amps and speaker cabs to replace the old speaker wire that comes standard, im going to try that next as well as some speaker cables, and pedal connectors. they make mic cables too which is amazing bc ive been on the hunt for some really good mic cables, so ill give it a whirl and remember you can always sell it if you dont like it!!!!! thats my 10 cents my 2 cents was free lol.....

Hey, thanks ALOT for all that info!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you don't notice a difference in the tone or quality between the Melody or Lyric HG, then I may just opt for the LYRIC HG, just because I love the green braided color.
I may have to put up one of my Boutique OD pedals for a possible trade for one. I would want the 21' though.........
I appreciate your time my friend.
All the best,
Mass

wreck1
01-07-2007, 04:21 PM
what pedal are you putting up i might be interested??

Hey, thanks ALOT for all that info!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you don't notice a difference in the tone or quality between the Melody or Lyric HG, then I may just opt for the LYRIC HG, just because I love the green braided color.
I may have to put up one of my Boutique OD pedals for a possible trade for one. I would want the 21' though.........
I appreciate your time my friend.
All the best,
Mass

Mooncusser
01-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Do you have the green Lyric HG?
i'll be right back...right in the middle of helping the wife hook up her printer.........

Mooncusser
01-07-2007, 04:27 PM
I got you PM...I'll respond in a little bit...........let me get the wife set up
BRB

The Golden Boy
01-08-2007, 07:57 AM
I've got some old Conquest Audio cables with Switchcraft ends that I got somewhere between 1994-1997. They do need to be replaced- and if I can find some other ones, I'd be more than happy to buy the Conquest Audio cables again.

Somewhere around 6 years ago I decided to "upgrade" my cables and spent a load of money on 3 Monster cables. They certainly didn't sound "better," not to mention 3-4 times the price of the CA cables. I have (had) 2 expensive Monsters and one of the 'not quite as expensive' Monster- the less expensive one is quieter and doesn't crackle as much when moved, unlike the pricey ones- I left the cables in the practice area- All three seem to have been "appropriated" by someone in the past 2 months... If they don't get returned, they will not be replaced by any Monster product.

Is this also the place to bring up Monster hassling anyone using the word "monster" for anything? To include Monsters Of Rock, The Chicago Bears (Monsters of The Midway), Monster House, and of course the Cookie Monster...

Nick Patterson
01-08-2007, 10:09 AM
where'd you find that? I used to have a great coiled cable, but I am not sure what happened to it. I loved it though.

For many years, the standard was just good Belden cable with Switchcraft ends. Make em yourself. I have never bought into the hype with those boutique high dollar cables. Maybe for studio connections, but on stage, all I need is a reliable cable that doesn't twist up on me.

The only place that I could get it was Musicians Friend.

Miles
01-08-2007, 10:20 AM
I used Mogami standard instrument cables for a while, switched to Monster rock due to accessibility and lifetime warrantees.