PDA

View Full Version : Mesa Boogie C90 Speakers are voiced like....

Jim Gilmore
01-15-2007, 05:37 PM
If you were to tell someone who was not familiar with Mesa Boogie speakers, how would you describe the voicing of the C90 speaker? Would a Lone Star Special Head still sound like it's supposed to mated to a cab with Celestion G12H speakers? Is the C90 supposed to be voiced more like traditional American amps? Just wondering.

danyeod
01-15-2007, 07:28 PM
Like a much smoother Greenback but with more bottom end.

Jon Silberman
01-15-2007, 07:32 PM
I'd rather call it a Classic Lead 80 with a more robust lower midrange.

John Phillips, you're the expert on this one, where are you?! :)

LesPaulMan
01-15-2007, 07:38 PM
I don't quite know what speaker I would compare it with. It has a very nice low end. Warm but still punchy. High end is more smooth then brittle.
It's one of my favorite speakers.

riffmeister
01-15-2007, 07:51 PM
SPAM alert:

I have one F/S in the Emporium, mint condition.

boonhogganbeck
01-15-2007, 08:38 PM
I didn't care for it in my F-50. Maybe I should've stuck with longer, to break in more. Sounded kinda stiff to me. I know it's sort of based on the CL80, but I've never really cared for those either.

1973Marshall
01-15-2007, 09:20 PM
GB?

hmm I would say it's a browner and sweeter CL80

angelo
01-15-2007, 10:07 PM
Maybe Vintage 30 with more bottom / less mid hump? They are certainly not top heavy like I think of the Lead 80's IMHO.

I think you can do a lot with this speaker, but may find yourself using a bit more highs or presence than before.

How about "a bit dark, but not barky"

Jose Luis Garci
01-16-2007, 02:24 AM
I think it is no way like a V30, a C90 is in the oppositte side, ihmo.
It is dark and compressed, goes really fine with very open Heads and with distorsion ...

For example, I use a Mesa Bogie 212" 3/4 back loaded with c90s with an OD100 having great results.

John Phillips
01-16-2007, 03:10 AM
I'd rather call it a Classic Lead 80 with a more robust lower midrange.

John Phillips, you're the expert on this one, where are you?! :)
There are plenty of other folks that use them too :).

I'd say that's close, but also that it has a less metallic top-end too. (FWIW, it's not based on a Classic Lead - both models are based on the old G12-80, but the Mesa is a bit closer to the old 80 than the CL80 is IMO.)

It's a very even-sounding speaker - deep, but not 'loose' bottom end; very thick and solid lower mids; rich but not over-prominent upper mids; clear but not spiky top end. I can see why some people might find it a bit too dark or lacking in character, especially at low volumes, but when it's cranked up it's powerful-sounding like no other speaker I know of - and very loud, actually more so even than a V30 despite having the same rated sensitivity. It doesn't quite cut through a mix in the same way though - it's more of a full sound and its characteristic tone is lower down in the mids.

If you want to do 'the most with the least' (like fill a big space with just a 1x12" combo) it's perfect - if you want more vintage character and to be able to drive the amp harder for a given volume, less so.

Jose Luis Garci
01-16-2007, 10:45 AM
This is a great sounding speaker.

I hear it compresses the sound a lot, that is the only thing you have to have in mind, if you need dinamics (i.e. jazz boxes), this is not your speaker, but if you play rock, this is great.

Even in cleans it behaves in a smooth way, but it compresses (is this the right way to use compress in third person?)... :)

Jon Silberman
01-16-2007, 11:26 AM
Even in cleans it behaves in a smooth way, but it compresses (is this the right way to use compress in third person?)... :)

Man, if I could only speak Spanish 1/2 as well as you speak English I'd be somebody. :)

Jose Luis Garci
01-16-2007, 12:04 PM
Thank you very much, Jon.
I'm nobody anyway ... :) :AOK