PDA

View Full Version : 2-Point Wilkinson tremolo system

ahou
01-22-2007, 02:01 AM
Hey all:

I am trying to get the Dimebag sound (i.e. screams and squeels) without going Floyd Rose....I don't really trust them. Will a 2-Point Wilkinson tremolo system do that for me or am I just being stupid? Does it allow me to take the note higher or is it like a strat tremolo (allowing the note just to go lower). I have never used them before....thanks for the advice y'all....

MyVette67
01-22-2007, 02:29 AM
Does it allow me to take the note higher or is it like a strat tremolo (allowing the note just to go lower).
Not sure I understand your statement.
are you speaking about pulling up on the trem?

stratrat2000
01-22-2007, 05:53 AM
Yes, the Wilkinson trems can be set up floating for a fair degree of pull up or down. Not as much as a Floyd design, but more than a standard Strat trem. They are the ideal middle-ground between the two IMO.

Alan

Mike9
01-22-2007, 06:37 AM
You might get half a step out of a Wilkinson, but for that Dime sound you really need a Floyd. A well set up Floyd is a thing of beauty - the reason a lot of people don't like them is they don't understand why they work.

There are several things I see all the time when someone brings me their floyd guitars that don't work.
1 - they take the locking nut blocks off then put them back in wrong - they have to go a certain way.
2 - they take all the strings off at once - bad idea.
3 - they change string guage - not a bad idea, but they sometimes require new springs.

There are more, but those are the root problems I see all the time.

codeorama
01-22-2007, 07:45 AM
While there are other trems that do a good job of staying in tune, none are as stable as the floyd. To do the crazy stufe Dime would do, you need a floyd.

wolf9309
01-22-2007, 09:39 AM
I have a guitar set up with a wilkinson so that it can go up about a step and a half. Combined with sperzel tuners, maybe one string goes out of tune every week or so, and I abuse that whammy bar.

buddastrat
01-22-2007, 10:08 AM
You know the Floyd has a sound to it to. I don't like them and prefer non locking vintage types. I've used the Wilkinson too and it's real smooth feeling and sounding.

If you want the high shrieks like the end of Cemetary Gates, I agree with Mike9...get a Floyd.

83stratman
01-22-2007, 10:56 AM
"Floyd Rose....I don't really trust them"

What do you mean by this?

ahou
01-22-2007, 12:17 PM
Thanks guys for the response....the reason I don't trust the Floyd is because of the bad experience so many have with them---being out of tune and difficult palm/hand feeling when playing....but I think I need to get FR anyway....

Thanks

TwoGeez
01-22-2007, 02:42 PM
A Wilkinson bridge paired with locking tuners is at least par to -- if not better then -- a Floyd. Sure Floyd's work great once setup and in tune, but I don't no anyone who wouldn't agree that setting them up -- and tuning them -- is tedious to the point of infuriating. After all, you have to have the right tools with you all the time. You have to cut the slug end of the string off, or buy the speciall speed loader strings. Then there's the issue of the neck cracking if you don't top mount the locking nut. Once a string pops the whole thing goes out of wack. Plus, they're a really trebly bridge (even EVH had to EQ his guitars differently when he switched to Floyd's). With a Wilkinson and locking tuners, on the other hand, you bypass all of these problems (except for if you set it up to be floating, then if a string pops the whole things still going to go out of wack). I've used Wilkinson bridges and Planet Waves locking tuners on my strats for awhile now and I have no issues. Wilkinsons are very neutral bridges tonally. You can do insane dive bombs/pulls ups and the thing will not go out of tune. I have no tuning issues with mine whatsoever. Plus, when it's time to change a string, its as easy as pie with the locking tuners. Setup? What setup?

mule73
01-22-2007, 03:27 PM
A Wilkinson bridge paired with locking tuners is at least par to -- if not better then -- a Floyd. Sure Floyd's work great once setup and in tune, but I don't no anyone who wouldn't agree that setting them up -- and tuning them -- is tedious to the point of infuriating. After all, you have to have the right tools with you all the time. You have to cut the slug end of the string off, or buy the speciall speed loader strings. Then there's the issue of the neck cracking if you don't top mount the locking nut. Once a string pops the whole thing goes out of wack. Plus, they're a really trebly bridge (even EVH had to EQ his guitars differently when he switched to Floyd's). With a Wilkinson and locking tuners, on the other hand, you bypass all of these problems (except for if you set it up to be floating, then if a string pops the whole things still going to go out of wack). I've used Wilkinson bridges and Planet Waves locking tuners on my strats for awhile now and I have no issues. Wilkinsons are very neutral bridges tonally. You can do insane dive bombs/pulls ups and the thing will not go out of tune. I have no tuning issues with mine whatsoever. Plus, when it's time to change a string, its as easy as pie with the locking tuners. Setup? What setup?

Not sure I agree. I've owned just about every trem setup there is, from 6 screw to Wilkinson to OFR's and Ibanez Edge, and if you want to do extreme whammy bar stuff nothing beats a well set up Floyd or Edge.Also, I don't understand the whole re EQ'ing thing.No one has any problems tweaking their EQ if switching from a strat to say a Lester but it's somehow a pain to do it with a Floyd guitar? And yes they can be more involved than other guit's to setup/ maintain, but if it's a technique you're after, them's the breaks. Also, as far as breaking strings goes, if you are gigging without a backup, you are asking for trouble. Not trying to down anyone, but the fact is if you are willing to learn how to do 'em right a good Floyd guitar can be a blast.There is no mystery to them just a new thing to learn. Just my humble $0.02.

braz board
01-22-2007, 05:28 PM
Floyd's do sound brighter, non-floyd trems sound warmer and more natural allowing some wood tone.

mule73
01-22-2007, 07:50 PM
Floyd's do sound brighter, non-floyd trems sound warmer and more natural allowing some wood tone.

I completely agree. However if you want to utilize a trem setup for what the original poster stated, There really is no better way go IMHO. It's a compromise for sure, but not to my ears one that cannot be overcome. There's alot more to tone than just the guitar. (Not trying to sound snide.) Just the proper tools for the job.When I gigged regularly, Floyd axes were all I used. We were a heavy originals band, and I swore by my Japanese RG's and Sabers.Man, I miss 'em. Need to pick up another Floyd axe.I think care and feeding of Floyd guit's is like any other technique. You get out what you put in.I know they aren't real popular anymore but I love 'em.

TwoGeez
01-22-2007, 08:15 PM
they aren't real popular anymore but I love 'em.

Did you ever stop to consider why they aren't real popular anymore? :D

MyVette67
01-22-2007, 08:25 PM
Did you ever stop to consider why they aren't real popular anymore? :DYeah...Times change, music changes, some artists can still sell, others cant.

One thing is for sure...People like EVH made pepole like Floyd Rose extremely wealthy :AOK

mule73
01-22-2007, 08:28 PM
Did you ever stop to consider why they aren't real popular anymore? :D

Maybe 'cos some people get on the net and make mountains out of molehills?:p Seriously, trends come and go, flavor of the month? yadayadayada. And from what I've seen lately they're making a bit of a comeback.Prices on those old Japanese RG's are climbing and they are in danger of becoming GASP! collectible. I completely understand something not being someone's particular cup of tea, but why scare someone off of trying something something that might be exactly what they are looking for. As for popularity, it has a lot less to do with the quality of any guitar that it ought to. Again, $0.02.:AOK