Anybody compared these side by side?
Which one is better? Opinions?

Lows?
Mids?
Highs?
Punch?
Definition?
Tone coloration?

I understand the V12 has smoother highs.

pedalcr8z
01-30-2007, 09:17 AM
V-12 smoother,creamier,more punch,great bottom end.

diezelboy
01-30-2007, 11:13 AM
Does it have the same low end as a V30?

pedalcr8z
01-30-2007, 11:23 AM
I thought the low end was better on the V-12........smoother & deeper similar to 12H30 which smokes the V series.

anibas
01-30-2007, 07:55 PM
If you want a speaker that smooths out nasty sounding high end more,and emphasizes low mids instead of the V30's high mid spike,than the V12 would be the better choice.Both of them are great speakers,but I've been using V12's quite a bit for the last 3 yrs or so.They're esp. good for straightening out an early or mid 80's 2205/4210 Marshall channel switcher,which tend to have a buzzy high end tone to their lead channel.Check out the two side by side if you get the chance.

Zuper
01-31-2007, 10:43 AM
I thought the low end was better on the V-12........smoother & deeper similar to 12H30 which smokes the V series.

I agree with this. I went from using V30s to the Legends, and they are so much smoother, with a much more defined low-end. The lower-mid hump of the Legends sounds much better with single-coils (don't notice as much of a difference with HBs). The Legend/G12H30 mix is excellent.

1973Marshall
01-31-2007, 11:30 AM
I haven't done it side by side, but the V12 does always immediately strike me as sweeter when I am alone for the fact it has a sweet roll off on the top end, and its decently tight - almost like a lightly compressed EQ'd studio tone.

Problem? I would rather post EQ a lot of tones. Live, the nastyness of V30s help cut thru a band. I like mixing speakers etc, but when we are alone we tend to like warmth and spread. Live, with a band you realize those freq that annoy us are the ones that cut thru the band - so I would still prefer the high mids of the V30.

If you play with a good bass and drums, too much warmth in the low mids only gets in the way. If you prefer low mids and a tight(er) style tone with sweet highs, the V12 is a good way to go. I think these EQ differences are definitely part of the difference between the Emi and Celestion recipes.

electronpirate
01-31-2007, 12:16 PM
I have more 'wiggle room' on mids with speakers other than the V30. On my amp, I don't get the mids over 10:00, or it sounds nasally nastyness.

On the other hand. 1973Marshall has it right that the irritating stuff I hear when playing alone is the stuff that makes me heard in the band. I don't LIKE it, but damn, I certainly can hear it.

My next speaker certainly will be the V12.

EP

Sparky6string
01-31-2007, 12:21 PM
Live, with a band you realize those freq that annoy us are the ones that cut thru the band...

Exactly. In a band mix is where the V30 shines IMO. Also I have an amp that has a dip in the mids right around where the V30 spikes, so it is a good match- pleasing to the ear at home or with the group. I'm one of the rare peoplethat likes how the V30 sounds clean. Haven't tried a V12 or Governor yet but I probably will eventually.

el34power
01-31-2007, 01:28 PM
I haven't done it side by side, but the V12 does always immediately strike me as sweeter when I am alone for the fact it has a sweet roll off on the top end, and its decently tight - almost like a lightly compressed EQ'd studio tone.

Problem? I would rather post EQ a lot of tones. Live, the nastyness of V30s help cut thru a band. I like mixing speakers etc, but when we are alone we tend to like warmth and spread. Live, with a band you realize those freq that annoy us are the ones that cut thru the band - so I would still prefer the high mids of the V30.

If you play with a good bass and drums, too much warmth in the low mids only gets in the way. If you prefer low mids and a tight(er) style tone with sweet highs, the V12 is a good way to go. I think these EQ differences are definitely part of the difference between the Emi and Celestion recipes.
You hit it right on the head.:AOK When i practice alone i sometimes cringe in front of the V30. But with the band. The V12 seems a little too smooth..
BTW the V12 isn't supposed to sound like an H30, the wizard is

1973Marshall
01-31-2007, 02:12 PM
Yeah, I think we all need to get out of the house more (I incl. myself in this.)

rockon1
01-31-2007, 03:24 PM
Ive been meaning to try the Emi V12 in my quest for fat,good for high gain speakers. Probably my next speaker to try. On that note(no pun intended!) I recently bought some Celestion Relic 30's at GC ( they are not budget speakers-more like a test run)for 49$ a piece! Exact same magnet structure as a V30. Dark but ballsy when cranked up a bit. Like a V30 without the mid spike. (V30 mids arent for me.)Cant say its "perfect" for my tastes but better than most. Cuts thru the mix too.

diezelboy
02-03-2007, 11:54 AM
You hit it right on the head.:AOK When i practice alone i sometimes cringe in front of the V30. But with the band. The V12 seems a little too smooth..
BTW the V12 isn't supposed to sound like an H30, the wizard is

You can always crank up the presence or trebles a bit to wake it up a bit, eh?
I'm just debating as I have a Bogner cab and I'm looking at either V30 or the Legends V12. My style is modern rock (but not quite nu metal).

diezelboy
02-03-2007, 11:55 AM
I'm even thinking a hybrid combination of 2 V30 and 2 Legends, where the V30 would stay on the bottom and the V12 on the top for my 4x12 cab.
What do you think?

midnightlaundry
09-18-2013, 08:40 PM
Back from the dead. Any more insight?