PDA

View Full Version : Who uses amp channel switching AND dirt pedals?

FleshOnGear
01-30-2007, 09:49 PM
I get the feeling I'm in the minority here, but I really like my amp's distortion (preamp and power amp distortion). So I use the lead channel for my usual tone, and my clean channel with dirt pedals for other tones (or for just "clean" :)).

Who else here does this? Are there precious few? I'd love to see how you all manage simultaneous channel switching and pedal-pushing. Right now I'm putting my fuzz pedals right next to my footswitch, and hitting them both with my foot sideways!

dk_ace
01-30-2007, 10:13 PM
I've done that tap dancing routine for awhile now!!! I have a Mesa triple rec w/ el34's, and while I love the clean channel and chan 2 Vintage, I find myself needing low gain sounds frequently. I used a Keeley ts9dx, HBE Germania, and a guiyatone tz2 fuzz in front of the amp for different shades of gain that were different from the amps gain.

D

LSchefman
01-30-2007, 10:16 PM
I love the cleans and lead channel on my TR. But I also kinda dig the OCD for some things - even though it doesn't sound as good (to me) as my TR's lead channel, it offers me different tones.

Then there are times I want to run OD before, say, phaser or some other pedal.

Ya can't have too much STUFF! ;) Especially on a pedalboard!!

slopeshoulder
01-30-2007, 10:18 PM
I think this can make great sense. In my dreams I have a Bruno Super 100 for it's wonderful lead tone, and a mess o' pedals for other sounds.

rongtr
01-30-2007, 10:23 PM
I have my overdrive channel in my Rivera for the thicker sounds, and my clean channel with an Analog Man modded tube screamer and a BBE Boosta Grande for my sort of dirty sounds.

willyboy
01-30-2007, 10:59 PM
I use an OCD, FD2 10th, and modded TS9 on the clean and dirty channels of my mesa roadking - love the versatility and having many, many, many shades of OD.

jamison162
01-30-2007, 11:41 PM
I get the feeling I'm in the minority here, but I really like my amp's distortion (preamp and power amp distortion). So I use the lead channel for my usual tone, and my clean channel with dirt pedals for other tones (or for just "clean" :)).

Who else here does this? Are there precious few? I'd love to see how you all manage simultaneous channel switching and pedal-pushing. Right now I'm putting my fuzz pedals right next to my footswitch, and hitting them both with my foot sideways!

I'm working on a pedal that does both at the same time, it'll switch amp channels and turn a loop on/off.

Phil M
01-31-2007, 07:01 AM
In one band I use an Allen amp, it's got some grit but I rely on pedals for additional dirt. We started out doing mostly material suited to the Allen's tones but have changed directions and this setup is no longer ideal. I prefer most amps' distortion sounds to a clean-ish amp with drive pedals.

In a different band I use my old Rivera K-55 head and I love the lead channel on that amp. I do use external boosts here and there though, but they're just clicked on occasionally to get alternate tones. For example, right now I'm using a Gaspedal Carb to saturate the sound a little more. This pedal is perfect because it adds clarity and sparkle along with the boost. I also use a Lovepedal Karl for the nutso stuff. Other drive pedals occasionally show up, but those are the main ones.

fibredrive
01-31-2007, 08:34 AM
well, don't have any OD pedals yet, am scouting and listenign to what's available and what might sound good. thus far, the OCD, Crunchbox and Barber DD sound like it might offer some variety to my Peavey Joe Satriani head (el34s). am quite happy with the crunch and ultra channels on my amp but if anyone's got some suggestions, am open. really looking for some low gain sounds and maybe something that could push my crunch channel too. thanks folks!

John Phillips
01-31-2007, 08:36 AM

I do. I use both the amp's distortion channel, and the clean channel plus distortion and fuzz pedals, and sometimes even the distortion channel plus pedals (though never to 'push the amp harder', just to add the sounds).

I do that because I like the different sounds available - far more than just using the amp and/or pushing it harder.

I manage the changes by working the song arrangements so that it's not necessary to change more than one at once - or so rarely that if I do, I can get away with it... like coming out of a loud section into a break, where the guitar stops for a bit so it doesn't matter if all the pedals don't get hit at once, or turning them on or off in the least 'obvious' order (eg distortion on the beat, phaser a fraction late). I do the same with all the other combinations of pedals I use - it may sound limiting, but it's not really, and actually IMO helps force me to plan more inventive, frequent changes rather than predictable 'block' changes. About the only exception is my amp's double footswitch (channel/EQ) where the buttons are right next to each other and I can easily press both at once.

Yes, I am a 'shoegazer/tap dancer' :) - but it isn't a problem, because I don't sing... and my singer is much better looking than me anyway :D.

Brett Valentine
01-31-2007, 08:53 AM
Though at the moment, I tend to use the pedals mostly, I tend to do that as well. Started with a Fender Stage 112SE (hated th4e scratchy distortion on the lead channel, but when it was set to its lowest gain level and boosted, it was a lot warmer sounding.

Even did that with a Boogie Mark 4 and was surprised with how good the results were.

Brett