PDA

View Full Version : Taylor T5 or something similar.

02-03-2007, 11:38 AM
I like the idea of a Taylor T5, with it's ability to play acoustic sounds and electric sounds. I'm looking for other manufacturers that make something similar to it as well. Are there any?

Also, for those that are familiar with the T5, how do they sound unplugged; tone & volume wise?

Thanks

jyee
02-03-2007, 12:21 PM
the anderson crowdster and godin multiac are 2 popular alternatives. i've never played either so i can't comment on how they compare. The carvin ae185 is another alternative - semi hollow with a standard acoustic bridge and piezo undersaddle, two humbuckers with coil taps on top.

Johnny Raz
02-03-2007, 12:23 PM
I've played the Crowdster Plus and the Taylor -- my choice is the Crowdster Plus- it is worth the extra $$ because Tom Anderson put a lot of thought into this instrument, and it does extremely well as an acoustic and an electric. The T5 is just average at both, IMHO

John Phillips
02-03-2007, 01:05 PM
See if you can find a Fender HMT or Acoustic-Electric Telecaster (the same thing but with different headstock shapes, the HMT has a Jazzmaster type.). They're rare but worth looking for - made in Japan in the early 90s, with a US Lace Sensor at the neck and a piezo bridge pickup, through a Heartfield preamp.

(NB, there are two versions of the HMT, one is a conventional electric guitar with humbuckers, the other is the electric/acoustic hybrid... confusing. The Acoustic-Electric Tele is also absolutely NOT the same thing as the Telecoustic!)

I tried a T5 when they first came out because I was having trouble finding an HMT... didn't like it. Eventually I found my HMT, and it not only sounds better than the T5 for either electric or acoustic tones, it actually possibly sounds better than my 312CE, through the PA :eek:.

Fender really should reissue them, it was a guitar so far ahead of its time that it passed most people by...

02-03-2007, 04:14 PM
Thanks guys. I have a bunch of questions already.

- Anderson Crowdster - Am I right in seeing that only the 'Plus' model will sound like an electric as well? http://www.andersonguitars.com/cfpages/productmain.cfm?groupingID=32

- Godin Multiac - Which one? http://www.godinguitars.com/godinmultseriesp.htm

- Carvin AE185 - No question on this one. http://www.carvin.com/products/guitar.php?ItemNumber=AE185

- Telecaster HMT/Acoustic Electric Telecaster - is this the same as the "Telecoustic"?

Final question. This is going to be used direct to PA when my wife plays it, or through my PODxt Live which I also use direct. Is there one that would be better in those applications?

Thanks again.

texasdave
02-03-2007, 09:36 PM
My experience with the AE-185 was not that great... the Carvin AC-175 works well because of the separate bass and treble, but I found the AE-185 served okay for both but not outstanding for either... That said, f you have to have a one stop do-it-all it's still work considering for great bang for the buck... used in the 5-600 range...

googoobaby
02-03-2007, 09:52 PM
I just had a chance to play a T5 plugged in and I was very underwhelmed. I do happen to like Taylor acoustics a lot for sound and build quality, so this isn't a bias against them.

62Tele
02-03-2007, 10:36 PM
Played a T5 and just didn't dig it. Marginal "acoustic" tone (through an acoustic amp) and marginal electric tone. Too bad - on paper it seems like a great gigging instrument. Just left me flat.

John Phillips
02-04-2007, 05:13 AM
Telecaster HMT/Acoustic Electric Telecaster - is this the same as the "Telecoustic"?

The Acoustic-Electric Tele is also absolutely NOT the same thing as the Telecoustic!)

The Telecoustic is a cheap Chinese-made electroacoustic that happens to look a little like a Tele. It sounds better electrically than you think it will after hearing it acoustically, but that's about all :).

The HMT/Acoustic-Electric Tele is a Japanese-made Thinline (f-hole) Telecaster with an acoustic guitar bridge with a piezo pickup, and a magnetic pickup at the neck. It doesn't have a lot of acoustic volume (it's a semi-solid electric, really), but it has the right sound.

This is going to be used direct to PA when my wife plays it, or through my PODxt Live which I also use direct. Is there one that would be better in those applications?The HMT works well both through a pedalboard and direct, in my experience.

Here are some pics -

http://hem.passagen.se/foxbase/page01.htm

(That's Heather Nova BTW - which is who I first heard using one... that's why I had to have one :).)

Rusty G.
02-04-2007, 08:19 AM
I went to FigTree Music and C & M in Lafayette to find a great acoustic/electric guitar. I played the Taylor T5 at both stores. Through an acoustic amp, the Taylor was O.K. . .not good through a tube amp. The neck was great and it really played like an electric guitar. The thing was it didn't really do anything for me and I really wanted to like it. And, it really didn't sound good acoustically at all (not plugged in to anything). Left me flat.

My wife was with me on my excursion to FigTree. She ended up getting me the Composite Acoustic "X", for Christmas, which is a great guitar. It's a thin bodied and really modern looking carbon bodied guitar. It sounds fantastic acoustically and really records well with it's L.R. Baggs pickup system. Flaw, the neck is really wide and flat and the nuts aren't as large as the Taylor's, so it doesn't play like an electric guitar. Still, it's so light and the bodies so thin, it feels like an electric under your right arm.

I don't know if there's something out there that can actually do both good.

u12drag
02-04-2007, 09:13 AM
I think that you should check out Guitar Factory guitars. You can see some examples at www.guitarfactory.us

Also, I have a couple of pics of mine. They are great guitars that are completely handmade by 2 guys. They have been at the electric acoustic thing longer than most. They have real acoustic bridges, are hollow, and have dual outs for feeding the PA and an amp. It does electric and acoustic sounds well, because it really is both. I thought the T5 was, as others have stated, a marginal acoustic. I didn't care for the electric sounds a lot, although I thought they were better than the acoustic. I liked the Crowdster I owned a lot, but I thought the acoustic tone out of my guitar factory was better. They will build your guitar to match you needs, as will Anderson. Those are the two I would be looking at.

rust_preacher
02-05-2007, 01:47 AM
FWIW, I just got a T5 and I would not have gotten it if it did not sound great, especially acoustic mixed with the neck PU. I tried it through a Bose PA and a Mesa Lone Star, and I really liked the tube amp on clean with the T5. I will have to experiment still whether it can shred ;-) but of course the main use for me is acoustic tones. The playability is just great, and the looks kill.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c130/rust_preacher/Taylor%20T5/T5_closeup.jpg

Jyrki

jcground
02-05-2007, 07:44 AM
I use a PRS Hollowbody I with a piezo for both acoustic and electric sounds, and to me it's a better "best of both worlds" guitar than the T5. I like the PRS for playability, the pickups, and I think it has better unplugged tone as well.

I really like Taylors - I have a 612-CE that I have been very happy with - but the T5 didn't fly for me personally. Now that you're starting to see deeper discounts on them, they may be a better deal.

The only problem I have recommending the PRS hollow is that they're expensive. On the used market, they typically still go for around $2000. The only way to save on a new one is to look for one of the plain tops finished in black.

stout-hearted
02-08-2007, 09:34 PM
I did a swap with a friend and I ended up with his top of the line T5. I have to agree that it seemed like I got a mediocre acoustic sound and a so-so electric tone. I sold it the very next day. The best sounds I heard from any T5 were through modeling pre-amps.

Honestly - I think you could buy a nice electric and slap a Fishman or L.R. Baggs saddle setup and get a better sound than a T5. So, buy a used Strat, Tele or whatever and hot rod it. The acoustic saddle systems for electrics sound great through something like a Yamaha Acoustic Magicstomp.

r9player
02-08-2007, 09:45 PM
If you want to go very boutique ... Mayes guitars makes an electric acoustic.
and . i forget their name Guitar Factory??
I think I've seen a Sadowsky as well with a acoustic bridge.

gregit
02-08-2007, 10:03 PM
Ex-T5 owner here. It is very versatile and I dug the action but it was really just mediocre at both the acoustic and electric sound. The feedback was pretty bad if you tried to turn up the gain and were in close proximity of the amp. (Taylor does sell foam inserts) Unplugged it didn't project well at all. I swapped the T5 for an '06 335.

Overall I do like Taylors and have since purchased a 614CE.

Steve Hotra
02-09-2007, 12:46 AM
Yeah, the T5 is not very loud at all unplugged. I found that out tonight as I was working with my piano player & our PA was shut down.
But I'm still pretty happy with my Koa. I own a Gibson 335 ES Dot & and Fender telecaster. The T5 has sounds that those don't. Its a hard guitar to dial in... IMHO, because of the active EQ.

stout-hearted
02-09-2007, 06:39 AM
the anderson crowdster and godin multiac are 2 popular alternatives. i've never played either so i can't comment on how they compare. The carvin ae185 is another alternative - semi hollow with a standard acoustic bridge and piezo undersaddle, two humbuckers with coil taps on top.

I can't believe I missed this one in my first reading. I've owned and used Godin guitars and they are great for electric and acoustic work. The RMC saddles through a good acoustic processor sound full and pleasing. Plus if you buy a VG system - you have a world of guitars to add in.

I sold my gear to buy an expensive PRS and I miss all those options.

02-10-2007, 10:19 AM
Rusty G, is this what you're talking about http://www.compositeacoustics.com/guitars.html ?

Thanks for all the tips, guys. I guess I have a lot of research to do!

Brad

Rock4Gzus
02-13-2007, 03:49 PM
Brad,

While doing your research, I suggest that you also take a look at a Parker Fly (Delux, Classic or Supreme). A used Supreme would be in the same price range. I have a Supreme and prefer it over the T-5 but would trade it in an instant for a Crowdster Plus.

Mark

RichusRkr
02-13-2007, 06:09 PM
I'm with you guys on the T-5's. I played em at GC unplugged and plugged in. Big turn off. I do have a 410ce that I like ok I guess but it never has grown on me and does not excite me. Also played a bunch of Taylors at the store recently, most of them were too over the top harsh and bright. I A/B'd them with Gibson and Martins. I guess I'm just not a Taylor guy. So many people sing their praises, I'm just gonna chalk it off as personal preference.Martins almost too mellow sometimes but they do what they do great, I like Martins. Gibson seemed to the perfect mid point for the all around player. I played a Collings at another store that KILLED them all but all this is another story for another thread. Didn't mean to change the subject. I think the PRS hollowbody Spruce with Peizo would be the best choice to get the best of both worlds.

Pietro
02-17-2007, 10:11 AM
I also tried the T5. It played great, sounded good (not great to my ears), but my big beef was the essentially mono output. I've been doing this acoustic-and-electric thing at the same time for years as a worship leader in a church.

I stuck a piezo archtop bridge in my old Heritage, it sounded okay. I moved on to a Godin Flat Five X with acoustic and electric both (similar to their current "montreal" line). Added a Godin Multiac Jazz (more limited electric - one pickup - but GK-output for Guitar Synths). Tried a Nashville Power Tele... almost, but not quite. (I still might get one of those, to be honest, though... I have no decent tele)

Finally, this past fall, I got a Crowdster Plus, having had some experience with the excellent guitars from Anderson for quite a few years. The Godins are great. I'll keep them for a long time. The Heritage is long gone. The C+ is IT! Electric tone is limited and it plays like an acoustic (forget about huge g-string bends) but it sounds MILES better than the T5. The acoustic tone is to die for, and even better through a Yamaha AG Stomp. (You can try an Aura or something, too, I'm sure.)

Bottom line is this. The Godins are fantastic for this and very well-built -THE thing to buy, imho, if you want an electric with additional acoustic sounds. I own three now and would definitely consider another one. The parkers don't have enough "vibe" for me but are fantastic high-end instruments. and even if the T5 sounded great I wouldn't have gotten it, because the ability to do electric and acoustic at the same time through different rigs has been revolutionary for me... (GOTTA have Stereo Output... Taylor are you listening?)

Crowdster Plus. Just do it. You'll be happy for a long long time.

tomteriffic
02-18-2007, 09:50 AM
Something possibly worth a look-see would be a Hamer Duo-tone. Piezo in a wooden bridge with dual humbuckers and separate outputs. I'm told that, from an acoustic standpoint, the newer F-hole models have the better pickup (the current Ovation Kynar pickup), but you're more likely to find an earlier 3-hole model used.

Pietro
02-19-2007, 06:56 AM
That Hamer is SWEET! Of course, the T5 and the Crowdster Plus both LOOK like "acoustic guitars" and the Hamer doesn't, and sometimes that can be a visual disconnect for your audience, but I think the f-hole mitigates that. I might have just found my next guitar! (Carvin AE185 seems real nice, too. VERY high ratings on Harmony-Central.)

daddyo
02-19-2007, 09:55 AM
Babicz now makes an affordable hybrid (Octane) that many like. I think that Taylor (and it appears Babixz too) dropped the ball by not having separate electric and acoustic outputs with a blend control (like the Godin) so you can run line to your UG30 and the other to an acoustic amp or the board.
http://www.babiczguitars.com/models_electric.shtml

Johnny1note
02-20-2007, 07:45 AM
Duotone

k_kush
02-20-2007, 02:04 PM
I first saw the T5 when I was shopping for my first "nice" accoustic. I started to consider it, but decided against it as I don't gig out much and already have alot of very nice electrics. I decided to go with a 614CE instead. I figured a separate quality accoustic and electric are always going to sound better than a hybrid. I'm glad I went the way I did...not to say I wouldn't like to have a hybrid too!
:AOK

Den
02-20-2007, 04:17 PM
Has anyone here tried the Crafter SA? Looks like a not-so-subtle knockoff of the T-5 ... could it actually sound better?

http://www.crafterusa.com/gallery/gallery_images/sa_tmvs_large.jpg

Pietro
02-20-2007, 09:09 PM
I figured a separate quality accoustic and electric are always going to sound better than a hybrid.

UNDOUBTEDLY true! YES! (Although the Crowdster Plus might be a bit of a limited exception...)

However, there is, for me, a magic in being able to go from acoustic to electric instaneously, sometimes multiple times in a song, without switching gtrs.

And I LOVE using both sounds at the same time. It's become my signature sound. Can only do that with a hybrid. So now all my guitars are either hybrid or soon to be... (except my Dano U2).

r9player
02-20-2007, 11:18 PM
That crafter looks nice!

Joe4
02-23-2007, 07:48 AM
Count me in among all who have tried, and I mean REALLY TRIED, to like the T5. Love everthing about it...uh, except how it plays and sounds. Really wanted to get one; have sat and played 'em too many times to mention, always ended up going, "Huh. Great idea. Just doesn't work."

PRS HB 1 feels like home. Sounds superb.

Parker Fly is easiest guitar to play I've ever touched in my *cough, cough* decades of trying to make music. (What hill is it I'm supposed to be over, anyway?)

Summary: as my son would say these days, T5 gets a "C-" at best, PRS HB1 and Parker Fly, both with piezo, get "A+" all the way around.

Go forth and play guitar!

r9player
02-23-2007, 08:40 AM
I just did a trade for a US Masters. This one a Tele shape, dual hum and piezo bridge.
Very cool wiring setup (dual jack, with only acoustic plugged in there is a three way switch with 3 different eqs with both plugged in the switch either blends or defeats either channel)
The electric side sounds ok nothing great, the piezo side is quite to very good and of course it plays dead easy and it is light because it is a chambered body. (Didn't open it up but I do imagine quite a bit of wiring or some special board to take care of the 'fancy' switching)

Mrgearguy
02-23-2007, 11:03 AM
I recall seeing pearl jam's guitarist with a Hamer Duo-tone onstage and it blew me away how much it sounded like a dreadnaught. Then he kicked in the humbuckers and it was pure rock.

Pietro
02-24-2007, 07:18 AM
I JUST talked with a friend yesterday who got a T5 at the same time I got my Crowdster Plus. I love my guitar and think it was worth the money. He loves the acoustic sound and doesn't like the electric sound at all and thinks it's worth about half or less the money. I'd do it again. He wouldn't.

stillworkinonit
02-26-2007, 11:44 AM
Yeah, the T5 is not very loud at all unplugged. I found that out tonight as I was working with my piano player & our PA was shut down.
But I'm still pretty happy with my Koa. I own a Gibson 335 ES Dot & and Fender telecaster. The T5 has sounds that those don't. Its a hard guitar to dial in... IMHO, because of the active EQ.

agree with hotraman.:RoCkIn

OOG
02-27-2007, 01:09 AM
Has anyone here tried the Crafter SA? Looks like a not-so-subtle knockoff of the T-5 ... could it actually sound better?

http://www.crafterusa.com/gallery/gallery_images/sa_tmvs_large.jpg

i've been playing one of the Crafters since September and i love it

finally played a T5 (unplugged) at NAMM was not impressed

Steve Hotra
02-27-2007, 11:56 PM
These threads are interesting to read about T5 and other guitars.
Its great that the guitar marketplace is introducing some cool new guitars. Didn't Fender just introduce a Strat that can model a Telecaster, acoustic tones and alternate tunings? To me, the Taylor's T5 was the start of some new guitar ideas. With my T5 I admit
its been hard work for me to get it to sound like I want. :NUTS
I just purchased an Atomic Reactor 112-50 amp, that I run my Vox Tonelab SE thru, with my T5. I am liking the tones now than ever before. Lord knows how many amps I've sold off this past year. So I'm into the whole technology thing. And I know its not true tube... nothing can ever sound like a class A amp. But I was looking for a guitar where I could play acoustic 1/2 the time and electric the other. IMHO, the T5 works for me. The T5 active Eq's really take time to get used to, especially if you play thru a GT8, POD Xlt or you name it. But I still like the Koa and other cool woods they make the T5 out of.

Slyib
02-28-2007, 11:40 PM
I have a T5 Custom with the two top mounted pickups that they introduced last year. I loved it then and love it now. Does it sound likean acoustic Taylor? No. Does it sound like the CS-336 I intended it to replace? No. It's really got its own sound.

Here's a link to the Taylor site where they have a bitchin' video from NAMM with a guy that knows how to play it. Click the photo in the lower right corner for your Internet speed: low or high bandwidth.
http://www.taylorguitars.com/Guitars/Archive/2006/T5/Feature/

- Brett

marsodude
03-10-2007, 05:25 PM
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t271/marsodude/Gear02-2.jpg
I played a T5 and for what I do, play live worship on stage, I rathered the C+. The electric PU made by TAG work great with the acoustic strings. I run the acoustic side thru the Peterson SS and then straight to the board. I run the electric side thru the pedals then to the amp which is mic'ed to the board. Just AWESOME sound every single sunday. We play everything from Sheryl Crow to Rascal Flatts to Garth Brooks to Third Day to Crowder.

dave251
03-12-2007, 12:48 PM
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Wendler+Instruments/The+Trad/10/1

In Tune
07-01-2009, 10:27 PM
FWIW, I just got a T5 and I would not have gotten it if it did not sound great, especially acoustic mixed with the neck PU. I tried it through a Bose PA and a Mesa Lone Star, and I really liked the tube amp on clean with the T5. I will have to experiment still whether it can shred ;-) but of course the main use for me is acoustic tones. The playability is just great, and the looks kill.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c130/rust_preacher/Taylor%20T5/T5_closeup.jpg

Jyrki
I am wondering what the consensus is on these now that they have been out for a good while...any love//? Sure looks good.

In Tune
07-03-2009, 04:54 PM
No opinion on these T-5s?????

Pietro
07-03-2009, 05:26 PM
uh... google Taylor T5... you'll get lots.

JSeth
07-04-2009, 01:21 PM
I've had my T-5 for a few years now... LOL! About to change strings, polish the frets and clean the 'board - for the first time in 3 years!!!! Got to love those coated strings!!! I have a red edgeburst Standard w/ a maple top... it is such a sweet guitar! Playability and intonation are amazingly spot-on, and the finish work is impeccable...

I would never recommend the T-5 for it's acoustic sounds... my main axes are acoustic, and to me, the T-5 does not amplify well, IMO. It does have a very balanced, even unplugged tone - a small voice but a sweet one... much nicer unplugged than either my 345 or my 175!

I really like the tone of this guitar through a clean solid-state amp - the electronics are wonderful... Rupert Neve knows his shit, no doubt! It sounds so accurate that I much prefer my solid-state amp to hearing it through my SF Deluxe Reverb...Absolutely the easiest battery to change in any guitar I've ever played or owned! Love the neck p'up, very Tele-esque... (setting #2)... Gets a nice Gretsch-like rhythm sound on the #4 setting, and a bright thin-ish Tele bridge p'up from setting #3. With active tone controls, a small adjustment produces big changes; once I got used to the sounds it makes, and stopped trying to have it sound like "other" electrics, I have grown to love the sound this little guitar gets!

At just over 4#'s, the T-5 is a dream to have on my shoulder! Just not wild about the "acoustic" amplified sound... Also, I have a feeling that it would get a bit unwieldy at any kind of high volume levels, feedback and all... although I have a buddy who uses one in a quintet at pretty good sound pressure levels, and he has no problems with feedback, so there you go!

good luck finding what you want... a great guitar is a joy forever!

play on...............................................>

John Seth Sherman

In Tune
07-04-2009, 05:56 PM
Thanks JSeth..Gots one on DA Way! Really look forward to experimenting with it.............:dude

stout-hearted
07-12-2009, 06:22 PM
I'd try a Carvin SH65 with the synth access and piezo bridge for acoustic sound. Big bucks under the cost of the Taylor and I think you'll be happier with the electric tones. I had a T5 Custom for a a few days and it just didn't work for me.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/images/guitars-in-stock/large/106284b.jpg

T.Wesley
07-13-2009, 09:49 PM
I made a trade deal for a T5-C a couple weeks ago, played it at a gig on Saturday. Worked as advertised, though I was only playing it as an acoustic, not through a dual acoustic/electric rig (which I will in the future). Played it through a Crate 50W tube amp, sounded very acoustic and pleasant once I got it dialed in.

--chiba

Steve Hotra
08-07-2009, 08:38 PM
Like the previous post said, it takes time to dial in the acoustic sound of the T5. I play mine direct through a Jazzkat Tomkat, or thru a X3L. The electric tones are great. You can find them used at a great price.

small axe
08-07-2009, 09:36 PM
i had a T5 koa custom....it does not deo what it claims it can do....its a great guitar but not a hybrid electic that can be an acoustic....its hard to dial in the sound u want and then u got the amp to deal with