PDA

View Full Version : Fender DRRI or Hot Rod Deluxe?

Drunkagain
02-10-2007, 05:13 PM
I've tried both 65 DRRI and the Blues Deluxe over the last couple of weeks and really like them both. Cleans sounded great on both amps. I'm just looking for a reason to go one way or the other at this point.

I'm mainly a bedroom player though I do try to get together with a couple of friends - another guitar player and a drummer, to jam with at least once a month or so.

Does anybody have a preference for one over the other?

boldaslove1977
02-11-2007, 05:49 AM
tried both amps yesterday.. and i'm in the same situation as you.. a bedroom player with the occaional reason to get loud.

i'm also wondering which one take pedals better... i believe the blues deluxe ha a loop, and the drri does not. i'm not getting crazy (yet)... just wah, tube screamer, phase and delay. my first impression is that the blues deluxe would be better in that regard.

also... do both have foot-switchable reverb? of course, none of the stores have the pedals out, none of the salesman have any idea, and i've found different answer online...

Senzu21
02-11-2007, 06:17 AM
I was stuck between these two amps for about a month. I rarely play with anyone, so volume was not an issue. I choose the Blues due to price and less tubes to replace. Stupid way to decide, but it was what I did. I really couldn't decide. Since I have retubed mine and have played a DRRI with better tubes and still I was caught inbetween. I know this doesn't help much, but if volume is an issue go with the DRRI and some NOS tubes.

The Blues Deluxe does have an effects loop, the DRRI doesn't. They both have footswitchable reverb, with the DRRI also having a vibrato switch.

jezzzz2003
02-11-2007, 07:34 AM
DRRI for me,
Its a good re-issue, just needs some time to mature and break in like they all do,

The HRDX just sound a bit too "cardboardy" if thats a word, to me.
theyre also alot less rugged and tough than the 65.

champster
02-11-2007, 01:22 PM
I have an HRD. Having other 6v6 amps was one of the reason I didn't buy a DRRI. I'm basically a bedroom player too and have no regrets buying the HRD. It has to me a very good full sound to it, even played at low levels. I did retube which made a huge difference in how the amp sounds. I'm running a set of SED winged-C 6L6s, which sound great. Can't remember what I have in the for preamp tubes, I play around with those. Usually for those I use EH, tung-sol, or JJ. I don't sue the drive channels on the amp. I use pedals for the overdrive. That's just the way I am.

Gigino
02-12-2007, 03:42 PM
i only play a drri at home and in stock form, with Vox bulldog, boss sd1, RAT, Bad monkey, i cannot get good crunchy or distorted tones at low volume, if i wasn't still paying it i'd sell it.
At presente i prefer the tones of my pod through DRRI...Buy a tiny terror

ReddRanger
02-12-2007, 04:03 PM
i only play a drri at home and in stock form, with Vox bulldog, boss sd1, RAT, Bad monkey, i cannot get good crunchy or distorted tones at low volume, if i wasn't still paying it i'd sell it.
At presente i prefer the tones of my pod through DRRI...Buy a tiny terror

This is where things like Roland Cubes come in handy. Cool distored tones at low volumes. A DRRI simply isn't built for that.

As far as DRRI vs. HRD, I actually prefered the Blues Deluxe that last time I went to the guitar shop. The DRRI seemed really bright to me at the time, however I also attribute that to the Burstbuckers in the LP I was using.

I used to own an HRD and was happy with it. But I haven't ruled out a DRRI. I'm going to take my LP and go try it again.

Cheers.

StratTone
02-12-2007, 04:45 PM
I've tried both 65 DRRI and the Blues Deluxe over the last couple of weeks and really like them both. Cleans sounded great on both amps. I'm just looking for a reason to go one way or the other at this point.

I'm mainly a bedroom player though I do try to get together with a couple of friends - another guitar player and a drummer, to jam with at least once a month or so.

Ok, I can be of good help to you. :) I own both of these amps and love them both however you saying that your a bedroom player tells me DRRI all the way. Put a good compressor in front of it (I like my CS-3) and a TS-9 and your in heaven. ;) Feel free to PM me any questions if you have any.

Jack The Riffer
02-12-2007, 04:48 PM
DRRI, no contest imho. If you like the way the DR sounds now just wait a bit until the Jensen speaker breaks in, it will be even better. Agree with StratTone about the TS-9, perfect match.

brefmint
02-12-2007, 05:33 PM
DRRI all the way. It is a smoother amp with a sweeter tone than a Hot Rod. I gig with mine all the time and I use tons of pedals. Love it!

brefmint

Hamer95USA
02-12-2007, 07:12 PM
Hey guys,

I will have to say that if you were to choose between a Fender Deluxe Reverb reissue or the Hot Rod Deluxe, both amps stock, most people will choose the DRRI over the Hot Rod Deluxe. Now modified, I have an Omega Amps modded Hot Rod Deluxe that will nail the blackface cleans of the DRRI along with a great sounding drive/more drive channel that is just brown & fat sounding. The midrange & presence control also has control over the midrange that the DRRI never had much of.

The stock DRRI is an amp that just needs a better speaker and nice set of NOS preamp & power tubes to make it sound good.

The stock Hot Rod Deluxe/Deville has design flaws with the overly bassy bass control, poor sounding drive/more drive channel, sensitive master volume & reverb control, and cheap speaker & input jacks. Most people who buy that amp deal with the issues or sell the amp. It makes the Hot Rod Deluxe the most "hated" amp on all of the Internet forums. That's why you see lots of them up for sale in the used music equipment forums.

Guitar George

fluxtone
08-05-2009, 03:49 PM
Just get the more powerful amp and retro-fit it with a FluxTone speaker, Model 1, Then you will have both amps in one cabinet.

Austinrocks
08-05-2009, 04:19 PM

would not get the blues deluxe, the hot rod has the more drive, and can be omega modded which makes the Hot rod incredible, Jim Price's mod is a bargain.

I was going to get the DRRI, really love 6v6 amps, my mesa mark iv runs them and had a marshall studio 15 that had them as well. I got a texas red edition hot rod deluxe, glad I did, it came with a Vintage 30, my studio 15 had the V30 as well. I you reverse the polarity of the speaker they sound killer. I am runinng JJs 6v6s in my Hot Rod Deluxe, gets the power down to 20 watts and the sweet bubbly tone of the amp is addicting, a dummy plug in the external speaker will get the 4 ohm tapp, and it gets the bias right as well, so going back to 6L6s is easy. I run input 2 on the hot rod deluxe, its attenuated and makes the volume less stupid on the hot rods. for the V2 drive channel a gold pin ECC83S gives it a more mid rangy tone, some people use a 12DW7 which is darker but has less gain, I just set the drive level around 6 gets the same thing.

the guys that have had the omega mod will drive you nuts here, sorry I am one, get the drive tone more marshall like and the clean tone just sings.

http://www.omegaamps.com/mods2.html

I got my tubes from JJs they also have some good biasing videos, the Hot Rods tone really changes with bias, the factory bias is 60mV, under biasing get the clean tone to improve with more head room, though I overbias for a really nice gritty tone, find most people tend to that as well

http://www.eurotubes.com/

personally I am glad I did not get the DRRI, the hot rod running the JJs 6v6s gets the same tone, the JJs have a 500 volt plate voltage and will replace a lot of the 6L6s, most of the others wont. The DRRI you are stuck with a lower power amp. The omega mod which is $250 for the basic mod, I got the push pull mid and preamp mods which are $45 each, the pedal if you intend to gig with it is $125. Jim turns the amps around in a week. The tone of the amp is just amazing.

franksguitar
08-05-2009, 04:19 PM
I've owned both HRDX and Deville and no longer own either since they were too loud and not the sound I like. You really need pedals since the OD on the HR's is harsh and brittle , I still have a Blues Jr. and I have the VM Deluxe with smooth OD and FX that I really like the sound of. I do like the DRRI which I've used a friend's before a few times much better than Hotrods IMO

jlagrassa
08-05-2009, 09:47 PM
I've had a DRRI & BDRI and now use a Hot Rod Deluxe, I would definitely take a Hot Rod or Blues Dlx over the DRRI. The Hot Rod takes pedals a lot better than the DRRI and also has a mids pot and an excellent clean channel I also thought the DRRI had a real Ice picky tone when stock.
Your best bet is to try and see if you can play them and see what you think for your self opinions only get you so far!

this1smyne
08-05-2009, 10:07 PM
i didn't like the Hot Rod at all the few times i played through one, and am impartial to the DRRI. I've had a blues deluxe for a few years now and don't regret it at all, great sounding little amp. but for the price used you can get a bassman (my main amp now). if you're just a bedroom guy i think a blues Jr might suit just as well.... esp if you're focusing on pedals for drive. the drive channels on both the hot rod and blues deluxe leave something to be desired.... if you push it with a SHO or Katana it sounds pretty good, but there just isn't enough there for me.... not compared to my orange.

BTW my Blues Deluxe has JJ's in it and a Weber Vintage series speaker.... made a HUGE difference in the sound quality

Gtowngearhead
08-05-2009, 10:08 PM
Doesn't Andy use a DRRI now for his demos? I'd shoot for a Blues over a Hot Rod, unless you're going to be doing a preamp tube swap on the HRDx, which will make the drive channel sound a lot better. At least it does for the Deville, I'm assuming HRDx would be about the same effect.

rotren
08-05-2009, 10:12 PM
The DRRI sounds much better I think. Much sweeter and fuller tone.

Gtrman100
08-05-2009, 10:32 PM
I've got both. They both have their strong and weak points. The DRRI is classic Fender clean, the HRDx is much fuller and warmer sounding. The DRRI sounds great cranked, but doesn't have tons of clean headroom. The HRDx gets much louder before distortion. The reverb on the DRRI is better until you clip c103 on the HRDx, then it's pretty close. They're both PCB amps, but the design of the DRRI is better. The HRDx can be gotten cheap used.

The point is, they are different amps completely, I like both but you might prefer one over the other.

joeybsyc
08-05-2009, 10:51 PM
The DRRI sounds much better I think. Much sweeter and fuller tone.
+1... I had both and sold the HR to my buddy...I'm not a Hot Rod hater, its a decent amp, but not even in the same league as a DRRI, IMO.

pogoshoes
08-31-2009, 04:57 PM
I am in the honeymoon period with my DRRI.Absolutely love it with my Rat pedal.

I had a HRD and there was no honeymoon period.I did not like the HRD.I bought it as a cheap stop gap when I needed an amp.I bought it because it had an overdrive channel.Just not for me.The amp is at full volume on 1.Not pleasant.The buttons are a little tricky.Sometimes I couldn't get any sound out of the amp because buttons for the channels were confusing.Could be because I was afraid to turn anything up.I've seen people at stores have the same problem.Maybe if I could try one with all the pots modded it would be a better experience.I didn't like having an overdrive that was useless either.The amp did have a good LOUD clean sound that one could color how they like.

Both amps could do with a few mods.I just ordered a Weber 12F150 50 watt for my DRRI because there is NO headroom on the 25 watt stock Jensen.I might do a simple mod to reduce the brightness of the amp if it is still too bright after the speaker swap.

I see alot of bands on tour with the HRD and I'm never bowled over by their sound.Except for The Strokes who I believe use HRDs.But who knows what their techs are doing to them.

The DRRI is used by Marc Ribot and was used by Robert Quine.That's no reason to get the DRRI...but it can't hurt to know.

lpdeluxe
08-31-2009, 05:41 PM
I haven't owned either amp, but I A/B'd them extensively when I was shopping for a new Fender. I really liked the DRRI, but the HRD was squawky and didn't do clean as well. Since I mostly play clean, that was the deciding factor.

To put it a little differently, the DRRI sounded the way I think of a Fender as sounding, and the HRD was more rock and rolly generic. If I could justify another Fender (I've got three) it'd definitely be the DRRI.

For the record, I bought a Jazzmaster Ultralight before I checked out the two we're talking about: it gets close to DRRI territory, but my Les Paul Deluxe sings through it, which is all I needed to know.

The other two are rather different from all three of the above: a Blues Jr NOS (I wanted a small tweed amp to play at church) and a Band-Master VM, which I plug into a Hartke 115 speaker (maybe this month I'll get a real guitar fifteen). The latter two are similar to my ear, but the BM has more power and more effects.

Maybe I ought to go ahead and get the Deluxe Reverb too -- I'd sure have a use for it!

Presc
08-31-2009, 06:18 PM
Have a DRRI, logged plenty of time with Hot Rods (rehearsal room amp). In a nutshell, the DRRI to my ears is sweeter and clearer sounding, it is simpler but it is better voiced, has better reverb, and trem. The two channels on the DRRI are very different, vibrato being much brighter. Vibrato channel does not sound good with distortion/drive pedals at low volumes but is fine at high volumes. Normal channel is great with pedals at all volumes but doesn't have the classic clean "spank" and no verb.

Solution - A/B switch. I made one for about $25 worth of parts, instructions on the Fulltone site.

HotRods are okay, to me you either have to pick having mud or overly harsh highs, can't dial out both. It is fat sounding though and loud. Yes, the DRRI is bright, but don't be afraid to play with your tone knobs and mess with the amp EQ. My DRRI will not sound good with a Strat and the treble on 6 on the vibrato channel - put it down to 4 and roll of your tone a bit. You can use the full range of the tone knobs - that's how it works.

alivegy
08-31-2009, 07:37 PM
If you're mostly a bedroom player have you thought about the princeton? I find that it sounds a lot better at lower volumes than the drri and yet is still loud enough to play with a reasonable drummer.

FenderBigot
08-31-2009, 07:44 PM
For the lower price point, you can't find a better tube amp than the Blues or HR Deluxe. Each amp has its pluses, but if you're just a hobbiest then why pay more???

Roy
08-31-2009, 07:53 PM
For the bedroom I would go with the DRRI the hot rod is just too loud. Plus the DRRI is a classic. Is has a bit of a bright voice with single coils but it's not in the "ice pick" zone. The stock speaker sounds great after it breaks in.
Then again... I'm gassing for a Blues deluxe ri myself. Oh man, It never ends!!!

Guitar Dave T
08-31-2009, 07:55 PM
DRRI for me,
Its a good re-issue, just needs some time to mature and break in like they all do,

The HRDX just sound a bit too "cardboardy" if thats a word, to me.
theyre also alot less rugged and tough than the 65.

Personally, I can see pros and cons to the tone of either amp, and for bedroom use, I'd recommend the lower wattage of the DRRI, with a strong recommendation for upgrading the speaker, JJ tubes and getting the darned thing biased correctly.

But I take issue with your reliability comment. The Blues Deluxe and Hot Rod Deluxe are both infinitely more reliable and gig worthy than the DRRI. The DRRI has a ton of low-volt, mini-spade connectors which do NOT stay connected over time. It is a friggin' nightmare of potential failure points.

The HRDx and BD, OTOH, have only one current reliability issue that has not been fixed by Fender R&D - they both share the same idiotic power resistor design that places two of the hottest componets almost in direct contact with the PCB, causing the PCB to warp and crack over time.

The fix is low cost and relatively easy, and ranges from simply remounting two replica resistors with longer legs (and some high-heat RTV in my case, though a real tech will recommend standoffs and a separate tag board).

The other two known problems with the HRDx and BD, cheap input jacks and "phantom switching" on the BD, have been addressed by Fender in their current production amps, and most likely have been addressed by a technician by now in the older amps.

The DRRI, however, is a constant ticking time bomb. Most gigging musicians spend a lot of money getting these amps reworked to where they can be relied upon, and others rely heavily on their backup amps.

Austinrocks
08-31-2009, 08:35 PM
Personally, I can see pros and cons to the tone of either amp, and for bedroom use, I'd recommend the lower wattage of the DRRI, with a strong recommendation for upgrading the speaker, JJ tubes and getting the darned thing biased correctly.

But I take issue with your reliability comment. The Blues Deluxe and Hot Rod Deluxe are both infinitely more reliable and gig worthy than the DRRI. The DRRI has a ton of low-volt, mini-spade connectors which do NOT stay connected over time. It is a friggin' nightmare of potential failure points.

The HRDx and BD, OTOH, have only one current reliability issue that has not been fixed by Fender R&D - they both share the same idiotic power resistor design that places two of the hottest componets almost in direct contact with the PCB, causing the PCB to warp and crack over time.

The fix is low cost and relatively easy, and ranges from simply remounting two replica resistors with longer legs (and some high-heat RTV in my case, though a real tech will recommend standoffs and a separate tag board).

The other two known problems with the HRDx and BD, cheap input jacks and "phantom switching" on the BD, have been addressed by Fender in their current production amps, and most likely have been addressed by a technician by now in the older amps.

The DRRI, however, is a constant ticking time bomb. Most gigging musicians spend a lot of money getting these amps reworked to where they can be relied upon, and others rely heavily on their backup amps.

running JJs 6v6s in a hot rod deluxe gets the lower power of the DRRI, 20 watts and the bubble tone as well. Also running input 2 makes the volume less stupid on the hot rods.

89strat
09-18-2009, 12:24 PM
I must be nuts.......DRRI for bedroom use? I've played outdoor and indoor gigs with my DRRI and it's freakin' loud! My friend played through the Hot Rod and couldn't never get a good enough sound out of it compared to my 65 reissue DRRI, and yes its stock right out of the box. After a couple of live shows it breaks in amazingly quick. No mods, sounds great with my strat with the treble on six and a rat in front of it, on the vibrato channel.

My only gripes are that it is very loud, and most of the places we play in mic us up anyway, so I can't get the amp past 2 on the volume without being too loud. I'm looking for a Blues Jr. or a Princeton Reverb now. If your using this for your bedroom, I'd say forget the DRRI and the Hot Rod and check out a princeton reverb, they sound awesome, and at a volume that's manageable for the bedroom and more than loud enough for a gig.

((TechnicolorSkyline))
09-18-2009, 02:42 PM
I had a HRD, HRDeville and DRRI all at the same time, and the DRRI was the one I got rid of.

The Hot Rod amps just take pedals soooooo much better and just feel a lot sturdier and better made which is a big deal for me since I gig a lot.

Travst
09-18-2009, 02:54 PM
I owned a Blues Deville and sold it off last year because it was so twitchy. After a great deal of listening and searching, I settled on an HRDX White Lightning with the Omega mods recently. I get great tone at low volumes with the amp as well as excellent cranked tone. I doubt I'd enjoy a stock HRDX after my experience with the Deville (I think they're pretty similar in their weak points, but others will disagree), but the Omega mods make that amp. Stock, I'd prefer a DRRI.

GuitarDude
09-18-2009, 03:01 PM
i've owned both. definitely go with the 65 DRRI. The reissue isn't incredible compared to the real thing, but it certainly sounds like a good guitar amp should!

Gtrman100
09-18-2009, 03:30 PM
I had a HRD, HRDeville and DRRI all at the same time, and the DRRI was the one I got rid of.

The Hot Rod amps just take pedals soooooo much better and just feel a lot sturdier and better made which is a big deal for me since I gig a lot.
I've got both amps and like them both for what they are, but, the DRRI is a much more reliable design. There's plenty of testimony here to that fact. I've done the usual mods to my HRDx to make it reliable, but stock there are a few design flaws- 16volt power resistors, tube sockets mounted to pc board, thin traces, etc.

gobseulmuhri
09-18-2009, 03:34 PM
It'll be hard for you to get a decent tone out of the HRD in bedroom volumes. You gotta turn it up to at least 3, or it'll be muddy...and mind you, 3 is VERY loud indoors.

If I could do it again, I'd go for the DRRI, although I don't know how that'd sound in a bedroom setting. But at the right volume, I think the DRRI sounds better.

Dezzy
07-10-2011, 02:18 PM
opinions are like arsholes 'everybody's got one' I hear a lot of people saying blues deluxe does not sound as good as this and that ect to be totally honest if your a young lad still at school and you get either one of these amps, you will have a killer amp, they are all good clean, plain and simple, they are not bottom end amps, they are middle of the road, I personally would never buy any fender amp for the overdrive channel, as to me they are all crap, get a marshal or a vox for that, if you want clean tones then fender amps do it, espechally at the price of these amps, my new model hot rod cost nearly 800 here in the uk, if I was in the US I would have gotten a bassman as they breakup great, probable the best amp I have heard break up. I don't think U are going to be disappointing with any of these amps if you want clean tones, if you like metal forget about it your in the wrong section, go get a jmc 900 or some thing

Dezzy
07-10-2011, 02:24 PM
It'll be hard for you to get a decent tone out of the HRD in bedroom volumes. You gotta turn it up to at least 3, or it'll be muddy...and mind you, 3 is VERY loud indoors.

If I could do it again, I'd go for the DRRI, although I don't know how that'd sound in a bedroom setting. But at the right volume, I think the DRRI sounds better.

I agree the hot rod sounds at its best at 3, but you can get a good tone out of it on 2 all day every day, and that's in jack 2, if your in jack 1 on 2 it sounds even better, people say they start to breakup over 3, mine does not break up until its way past 5, and 6 in jack 2, I have the latest model but they did nothing to the clean channel anyway, overdrive is poo, I wish fender would either take that channel off or replace it with vibrato, as its sat their doing nothing on 80% of hot rods out their, people use pedals, they have the technology to change it with a better overdrive I wish they would just do it, as what ever they have done to it has not worked in the slightest.

Dezzy
07-10-2011, 02:27 PM
I've got both amps and like them both for what they are, but, the DRRI is a much more reliable design. There's plenty of testimony here to that fact. I've done the usual mods to my HRDx to make it reliable, but stock there are a few design flaws- 16volt power resistors, tube sockets mounted to pc board, thin traces, etc. My email is thementor@fsmail.net, will you email me the mod you did to the tube socket. my 6l6 grove tubes are vibrating like hell when the amp is on 3, and it is making a racket, not all the time just on certain notes, but its annoying seen as my amp is 2 month old, as its the newer model u think they would have sorted it

Beat Up G
07-15-2011, 02:21 PM
I've had two Hot Rod Devilles (4-10) and two HR Deluxes and the reason I used to go back to them was for the drive channels! Some of the trashiest distortion, loved them--but I crave thick, highly distorted tones--and not overdrive, most of the time.

HR Deluxes show up on CL weekly for $350 and with any luck, they are the older USA made versions (I had one that killed with white-label groove tubes for some reason) I have Mesas, etc. but I wouldn't kick the right HRD out of bed, especially knowing the huge difference swapping out tubes and speakers makes.

jw112
07-15-2011, 05:29 PM
I prefer the Blues Deluxe, but that doesn't mean its the best amp for you

teleman55
07-18-2011, 09:14 PM
Love my SFDR. The reissue is a great amp too as is the Hot Rod Deluxe. I've played both live. I'd say for bedroom though, the question would be do you want the Princeton RI, the Blues Jr., or the Pro Jr.

Joe L
07-18-2011, 09:26 PM
I've owned a Hot Rod Deluxe and now own a TRRI, BJ and a PRRI. Go with the PRRI and you will be more than happy.

Jack Dotson
07-22-2011, 11:18 AM
Another vote for the DRRRI. By a mile.

Alka-Delics
03-29-2012, 10:28 PM
I'm trying to choose between the HRDlx and the DRRI, and having a hard time doing so. I had a DRRI on sale or return for a week, where aside from fiddling with it at home, I used it for one rehearsal and one gig.

I play a maple neck American Standard Strat, a Epi SG and a Epi Dot with an OCD, a fuzz face clone, BBE Sonic Stomp and phaser/chorus from the good guys at EHX.

The rehearsal & gig was for my cover band. We play Hendrix, the Cars, the Cure, Thin Lizzy, Pixies, Pink Floyd, Stones, NY, the Doors, some newer stuff like the Strokes, and we do a fair bit of Dire Straits + much more. We play a variety of different sized gigs.

The DRRI worked awesomely almost in every respect. I like everything about it apart from the headroom. It's certainly loud enough for my application, but for a lot of the Dire Straits numbers we do, I effectively (like to be) the loudest as I play the leads, and at the same time retain those crystal/chimey Fender cleans, which it didn't do too well, even with my strat.

I now have a HRDlx with me for a week. Its one of those limited edition texas red ones with an Emi something inside (I thought they came with a celestion?). Anyhoo, I've had rehearsal with it once, and only a few hours messing with it at home. It takes my pedals better than the DRRI. Has FX loop. It has a mid pot, which I thought would be a benefit over the DRRI, but not at the moment as I can't figure how to dial out all that bottom end muddiness... even running clean, she sounded awful with my band (which has another guitarist, btw)

So in short; DRRI = awesome amp, but I need more power/headroom. I understand a speaker and tube change can help me with this?

HRDLX = seemingly more versatile, has FX loop, pedals sound much better, but controls are oversensitive, good cleans but not BF cleans, has terrible low end that muddles everything in a band scenario. Any mods that can eliminate that thick low end?

What do you guys think? Was hoping on receiving some opinions without starting a new thread on a topic that has been done to death. Would appreciate if you could point me in the right direction, CHEERS! :aok

guitarrista#5
04-02-2012, 10:38 PM
I have owned a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (stock) and I have owned a Fender 1965 Deluxe Reverb Reissue. I have never had any amp modded, no prejudice in that regard I may do so in the future, I may not. I think stock, the DRRI sounds like a warmer amp to my ears. Given a choice I would go in that direction.

Guitar Dave T
04-07-2012, 11:42 AM
HRDLX = seemingly more versatile, has FX loop, pedals sound much better, but controls are oversensitive, good cleans but not BF cleans, has terrible low end that muddles everything in a band scenario. Any mods that can eliminate that thick low end?

What do you guys think? Was hoping on receiving some opinions without starting a new thread on a topic that has been done to death. Would appreciate if you could point me in the right direction, CHEERS! :aok

The stock Eminence speaker that comes with the Hot Rod Deluxe that you MAY have is a TOTAL MISMATCH for that amp. Speakers that do a much better job include damn near anything else. I've had great experience with well-broken-in Celestion V30's, a Warehouse Guitar Speakers (WGS) ET-65, WGS Vet-30 and an Eminence C.Rex. You mentioned yours was the special, Texas RED TOLEX addition - that should have come with a V30.

Also, Hot Rod Deluxes, as with all Fender amps, come from the factory biased poorly. I find that somewhere around 67-69VDC is just about right.

But if you want to have that amp modded, there is no mod better than what Jim Price at Omega Amps does. Here's probably the most comprehensive thread on the subject that I started when inquiring about the mod in 2009: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=498283&highlight=omega. Learn from others' experience here. Plus, clips.

Kyle Ashley
04-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Before modding any amp, be 100% sure you want to keep it for a while. I modded a brand new HRD III at Omega earlier this year, and the day after I got it back from Omega I got a new Bogner Barcelona, which is working better for me than the HRD.

My attempt at selling the Omega modded HRD has been difficult, and I'm sure that without the mods the amp would have sold quickly. I've had to answer dozens and dozens of PMs with detailed questions about the nature of the mods, etc...while fending off lowball offers. It got tiresome.

Over the years, I've learned that modding musical gear will kill your re-sale value. Something to consider if you don't plan on keeping something for several years.

jrbanjo
04-07-2012, 02:36 PM
I've found that I like the HRD drive channel for blues drive only (darker fat tone ala Red House). Otherwise I don't think too much of that drive channel. Decent cleans.

Fatherflot
04-07-2012, 03:37 PM
Alka-Delics:

My Omega-modded HRX absolutely loves the BBE Sonic Stomp in the effects loop. The sounds goes from really good to stunning 3D.