PDA

View Full Version : New Supro amps-Terrific!

gpro34
02-10-2007, 05:46 PM
I had the chance today to play through a new supro sahara amp and just wanted to say that I was impressed! This amp has a beautiful clean sound, chimey just the right sparkle with lovely sustain! I just thought I would share my experience with you all here. I was afraid to look at the price tag but was pleasantly surprised to see the amp was $895.00! Anyone else try any new Supro amps?

Griz
02-10-2007, 05:49 PM
Who's making these? Is it the original manufacturer, or has someone else bought the name? The amps could still be excellent, of course; just askin'

Mustake
02-10-2007, 06:02 PM
http://www.suprousa.com/index.html

EADGBE
02-10-2007, 07:12 PM
I love to play one. They looking interesting.

http://www.suprousa.com/images/tremdt.jpg

onemind
02-10-2007, 07:30 PM
Thought of parting with it a couple of times, but I think it's gonna stay home.
http://shim1.shutterfly.com/procgserv/47b7df35b3127cce98548efad89700000017102AaOG7Vw1bsa

Glowing Tubes
02-10-2007, 07:33 PM
They are made by Bruce Zinky of Zinky amps. I have the Tremolectric and LOVE it!! Amazing cleans and the most usable gain channel I've had in a very long time.

Great amps! :AOK

Hey Onemind, glad to see you are keeping that amp, its sharp! Email me if you ever want to talk about them...

RC

gpro34
02-10-2007, 07:39 PM
They are made by Bruce Zinky of Zinky amps. I have the Tremolectric and LOVE it!! Amazing cleans and the most usable gain channel I've had in a very long time.

Great amps! :AOK

Hey Onemind, glad to see you are keeping that amp, its sharp! Email me if you ever want to talk about them...

RC
I have yet to try the tremoelectric how does it compare to the sahara?

mik777
02-10-2007, 07:45 PM
http://shim1.shutterfly.com/procgserv/47b7df35b3127cce98548efad89700000017102AaOG7Vw1bsa
Give us some clips!!

hamfist
02-11-2007, 07:15 AM
Anyone played one of the current Supro amps and also one of the Zinky Blue Velvets ? I'd love to hear a comparison review.

gpro34
02-11-2007, 08:24 AM
Anyone played one of the current Supro amps and also one of the Zinky Blue Velvets ? I'd love to hear a comparison review.
Yes, I have. The Blue Velvet has some of the best overdriven sounds around for the coinage, really sweet and warm, great amp; however, while the clean is descent it's not the reason you would buy this amp. This amp is all about the OD.
The Supro on the other hand strength is its wonderful chimey sparkley clean sound! One of the best cleans I have heard period and I've played through many botique amps and early BF Fenders.
One hell of a great combo would be a 25w Blue velvet setting next to a 25w Supro Sahara that would cover anything.

Glowing Tubes
02-11-2007, 06:17 PM
I have yet to try the tremoelectric how does it compare to the sahara?

I have not had a chance to play through the sahara.. :(

I cant imagine it being anything other than excellent though based on Bruce's other amps.

Luke V
02-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Just too many knobs for a Supro. To me a Supro should have a simple circuit like the originals.

gkoelling
02-11-2007, 07:31 PM
If I remember right, the Sahara has volume, bass, mid and treble only and it does sound real nice.

EDIT: From the Supro web site.

Sahara™
25 Watt, single channel, all-tube 1x12 combo. Features all-tube sound, from classic clean tones to rich and glorious overdrive. Controls for Volume (turn it up for overdrive), Treble, Bass, Middle. Simple signal path + highest quality parts = superb sound. More gain than Belmont, but less power. Great rock & roll club amp for those who just need one great sound and a guitar to get the point across.

onemind
02-11-2007, 07:34 PM
Tremolectric....Three Knob Reverb, Two Knob Trem....after that only about five others! Not Classic Supro, but killer.

gpro34
02-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Just too many knobs for a Supro. To me a Supro should have a simple circuit like the originals.

I don't know which model you're talking about but like someone else here stated the sahara is about as simple as it gets and it was by no mistake according to Bruce. Four knobs no reverb a very simple signal path! Here is a link for more info www.suprousa.com/proddesc.html

CitizenCain
02-11-2007, 08:39 PM
Tremolectric....Three Knob Reverb, Two Knob Trem....after that only about five others! Not Classic Supro, but killer.

I read somewhere that Zinky said the Tremolectric is where he wanted to take the Vibro-King at Fender but couldn't for some corporate reason.

gpro34
02-11-2007, 08:50 PM
I read somewhere that Zinky said the Tremolectric is where he wanted to take the Vibro-King at Fender but couldn't for some corporate reason.

I read something similar, he said that he took things he liked from the vibro-king he designed but then there are many improvements and he omitted things that he did not like, something like that. If I find the article I'll post a link.

S. Hawk Ltd.
02-11-2007, 08:51 PM

oh, geeeezzz... Here I go again..... You know... G.A.S?

Is it a PTP thing? Any PCBs? And How much for that beautifull looking Tremolectric?

I own a Juke 1210C and just love it.... But always looking to get into some more... I have issues... I need help...

bluesmann
02-11-2007, 10:59 PM
I've got one too 749.00 shipped. adirondackguitar. Dennis was pretty cool and a guitar junky like the rest of us:JAM and no one on the net would beat his price. Your welcomed guys:D

Anyway , i love my little sahara. with a birch ply cab and a oversized chunk of iron. Built in foot controlable boost. Its bad ass! loves pedals.
I didn't care much for the stock tubes tho and changed them out real quick.
Its also puts out some dbs a loud 25 thats more like 50 imo. With a good drive pedal-- good stuff!

Jon Silberman
05-06-2009, 08:42 PM
A full 2+ years later, finally, tonight, I joined the club. After ditching a Blues Junior long ago despite wasting far too much time and effort trying to make it sound more like what I really wanted a 2XEL84 amp to sound like, and over a year after selling my vintage Traynor YGM-3 because of its size, weight, and not taking my pedals as I'd hoped, this baby drew me back onto the 2XEL84 bandwagon. A special-sounding amp with a voice all its own and, given the recent Fender price increases, a relative bargain today at $849 (pedal included). More on the amp, with pics, tomorrow or Friday. :)

iowa
05-07-2009, 06:48 AM
Which Supro did you order? and from whom?
I had a Zinky Velveteen (should have NEVER sold it) and have played a 25w Blue Velvet. I am convinced that Bruce makes the best combo of affordability/tone in the boutique amp market.

gravy
05-07-2009, 07:59 AM
hey jon, give us your impressions on your supro. i keep running across reasons to reconsider these!

RockinB23
07-28-2010, 03:40 PM
Boy I love the look of this in White!!!! I wonder what it would look like with Black Tolex? I'm considering ordering a new Tremolectric myself. I always liked the Vibroking but wished it had two channels.

Maruuk
07-28-2010, 04:34 PM
adirondackguitar.com is now charging $999 shipped for the Sahara. How times change.

WolfmansBrother
07-28-2010, 05:09 PM
adirondackguitar.com is now charging $999 shipped for the Sahara. How times change.

Damn...when I bought mine back in Feb it was still 849 (although I had to pay NY state sales tax :bonk)

Awesome amp, though...

wickland111
08-02-2010, 10:58 PM
Sahara 60 watt owner here and loving it every day! This thing matched with my strat is truly special.

Maruuk
08-03-2010, 02:06 AM
Well the Sahara sure sounds awesome in the vid demos, but more than that, it sounds distinctive. It really has its own cool tone vibe. There's never enough of that quality these days.

RockinB23
08-05-2010, 09:43 AM
Thanks for this info. I always wish they would update the Zinky and Supro web sites better. I would love to see more pics of some of the custom tolex covers on the amps that he does. I also wish I had access to a Manual for my Blue Velvet.

The Zinky and Supro websites are not fully up to date. Bruce makes many more amps that what he advertises. Infact he is not one to really advertise his product. He feels that if someone plays his stuff, it will speak for itself which it does.

The Sahara 25w is very cool, but the Sahara 50w with the new power amp is really special. I own the prototype and love it. It doesn't break up as much as the 25w, but is much fatter sounding, expecially when plugged into my Zinky 412 cab. What I like about the Sahara compared to the Tremolectric is that the amplifier controls are extremely simple. Volume, bass, middle, and treble. In my opinion that is all you need. The sahara is very nice as it also can utilize the tone controls as a master volume.

The tremolectric is pretty much an updated idea of a fender dual professional. Many people think of it as an updated vibro king, but this is not exactly the case. Yes the amplifier is 60w, but is much cooler as it has an entirely separate gain channel that is obviously foot switchable. Just as any other Zinky or Supro amp, you are able to have any of these amps customized for you. Not just the grill cloth and tolex, but the circuitry to an extent. Many people are now buying these tremolectics with a footswitchable compressor on the clean channel so that the amp WILL NOT distort when activated, yet have normal tube amp quality when the compressor is not engaged. This is also a mod that can be done with your current tremolectric, Blue Velvet, Dual Tone, or pretty much any Zinky Supro amp. That you own. With few exceptions such as the Superfly(Which I am a crazy proud owner).

I will continue to post more comments on here about Zinky/Supro amps as I am obsessed with them. They truly are the best amps on the Market! Any questions and I would love to answer them.

BW

rog951
08-05-2010, 09:58 AM
If Bruce doesn't take advantage of the Supro/Jimmy Page connection by issuing some faithful replicas of the simple, old Supro combos...well, it just seems like a missed business opportunity to me. I remember thinking that he might be lining up to do that back when he bought the Supro name, but it seems like it hasn't materialized yet and it's been quite a few years. I'm sure his amps are great, but I'm a little disappointed nonetheless.

skeeterbuck
08-05-2010, 11:28 AM
Rog, your wish has come true.

http://www.magicamps.com/ZCombos.cfm

rog951
08-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Rog, your wish has come true.

http://www.magicamps.com/ZCombos.cfm

Man, those look like my dream amps...but I woke up when I got to the prices! :rotflmao

wickland111
08-08-2010, 09:32 PM
New Supro that is also being promoted by Pigtronix!

http://www.pigtronix.com/products08/fullboar.html

I have played quite a few of these and they rock. Fat reverb, and cool compressor circuit. This thing almost acts as a two channel amp with the foot switchable compressor!

-BW