PDA

View Full Version : dan armstrong reissues

spookybonus
02-14-2007, 12:46 PM
how are the dan armstrong reissue guitars?
how are the necks? size, radius?
and how do the interchangeable pickups sound?

The Golden Boy
02-14-2007, 01:07 PM
I never liked any of the old or new-er Dan Armstrong reissue guitars- or the Univox copies of them. The neck always felt pencil thin and narrow. They were also heavy. I don't remember how they sounded.

The relatively "recent" lucite guitars- I think they were released as "Ampeg" were pretty cool. More like a lucite DC LP Special with P-90s than the Dan Armstrong of old. More comfortable. There were also a few basses, those I didn't like- and I really wanted to.

mc5nrg
02-14-2007, 02:29 PM
There is a long continuing review thread in the new pro review section of that other forum (Harmony Central).Since the reissues just debuted at the trade show it might be a bit before they show up in stores.

I had a original Ampeg Dan Armstrong about 15 years ago.It was kind of cool in a unique design with history kind of way (Keef,MC5,slide like Jo Jo Gunne etc.) but I found it heavy and through a connection was able to sell it to the replacement Replacement.Except for the typical "look what they sell for now" problem,I didn't and don't particularly miss the guitar.The first run of Dan Armstrongs is distinguished by the fact that copies appeared before the original ever made it to retail.If you search out the youtube clip of the MC5 Tartar field clip for "Looking at You" you can witness an original in action wielded by Wayne Kramer about 69/70.

Mutley
02-14-2007, 02:37 PM
I got one in 1969 at Ace Music in Miami. About $195. Big fat tone. Neck was very shallow for my hand, but was 12" radius I think. Haven't heard the reissues. Saw Mountain and Leslie West played slide on one.

StJimmy
02-14-2007, 10:00 PM
I owned one for about 27 years. I traded a Peavey Standard 100 solid state amp for it in 1976 and sold it on ebay a few years back. Never really liked it for the same reasons previously mentioned...weight, neck, poor intonation with the DanElectro type rosewood bridge. It did have a pretty aggressive sound which maybe was why Leslie West and Joe Perry have used them for slide, but for me, it was a one trick pony.

zombywoof
02-14-2007, 10:08 PM
Had a '69 for a bit back in the 70's - it was heavy and the darn thing would just go out of tune. Just could not use it. My bass player also tried one and had the same problem.

Don't have a clue how the RI's are.

spookybonus
02-14-2007, 10:57 PM
yeah im pretty turned off on the less than state of the art bridge...kinda looks crappy...seems like they should update that aspect of it.

anyone have any opinions on the swapable pickups?

im not quite sure why but i want one all of a sudden...

serial
02-14-2007, 11:38 PM
I've had a couple of the original lucite basses (Still have one-I think both were '70s-serial numbers were in the 900s and 1000s). I loved them for bass stuff, but they didn't/don't intonate particularly higher up the neck. The pickups are powerful and I liked them for what I was playing, but they're anything but subtle. VERY cool looking though and not as heavy as many Les Pauls or 70s Fenders I've played.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/serial/fbombincolor_0026.jpg

snarkle
02-15-2007, 01:02 AM
I have a wonderful photo of me playing slide on an original lucite Ampeg circa 1979: it's a classic collection of aesthetic faux pas.

1) sunglasses after dark
2) white corduroys
3) glass of cognac on top of the amp (a blackface Tremolux, though)
4) see-through guitar

Yeesh!

I remember that guitar sounding pretty good for Stonesy rock 'n' roll slide...but as someone else pointed out, it was very much a one-trick pony.

I'm curious about the reissues, nonetheless.

disaster
02-15-2007, 10:22 PM
the new ones have a staggered brass rosewood bridge. i don't know if the saddles are individually adustable, though.
and how very appropriate that, coincidentally, I am listening to The Mighty Black Flag as I type this.

The Golden Boy
02-15-2007, 10:40 PM
I am listening to The Mighty Black Flag as I type this.

It's all about "Revenge."

cmatthes
02-15-2007, 11:10 PM
I like my '70 Lucite bass - just have the same issues Serial mentioned with intonation way up the neck (above the 12th-14th frets).

It's not as heavy as people make it out to be. Lighter than many Les Pauls, actually. The short scale makes it easy to get around on, too.

The Reissues I've played are not bad at all, but I'd think they could have upgraded the tuners (eccccch!!)

I'd post a pic, but nobody in my band is as hot as Sabrina ( :D )

disaster
02-16-2007, 04:32 PM
It's all about "Revenge."

most would be shocked, but I'm super into late-period Flag, at the moment. I just came across the 1982 demos bootleg- right before My War- has the Rollins, Ginn, Dez, Dukowski and Chuck Biscuits lineup. Bru-tal.

but I digress.
all Flag fan-ery aside, I've always wanted to get my paws on one of the Reissues (i prefer the new bridge, and I'm cheap). I played an awesome original one in Hollywood (before Dave Grohl started using them and they got more expensive) and totally dug it. The neck was nice for me- I like slim necks. It wasnt Mosrite thin or anything though.
It seems like they're trying to keep the neck on the new ones similar to the old.