PDA

View Full Version : George Lynch in a pedal

ed84246
02-18-2007, 01:20 AM
Quite a few threads have mentioned a pedal emulating Eddie Van Halen's early tones. I'm looking for a pedal that will do more of a George Lynch Dokken era thing. I've tried the Kaden Brown Creeper, MI Audio Crunchbox and BSIAB II and they don't really have that bark and growl of Lynch's sound. Most of the plexi pedals out there do the 50 watt Angus Young thing which is in the right direction, but not quite enough gain, and the rest do the Hendrix, Cream-era Clapton thing which is not what I'm after. Any suggestions?(please don't waste your or my time listing George Lynch's guitar and amps he used - I know that's how to get his exact sound but I'm not looking to change my setup and spent five or six grand, just looking for a pedal to get me into the ballpark for a few songs in my set please).

Aruntang
02-18-2007, 06:01 AM
You should check out the Dna Analogic GainFxxker II. Killer pedal that knocked the crunchbox off my board. Splatt and Matte like them a lot as well. I have been looking for a pedal that can cop the sound and feel of the Bogner Ecstasy and Uberschall. So far this pedal comes the closest to reproducing that sound and feel, IMO. Definitely worth trying.

ryanformato
02-18-2007, 06:15 AM
You could also change your pickups (Seymour Duncan makes the George Lynch pickups). That may get you closer than your current pickups. On the other hand, you may have already considered that.

Noah
02-18-2007, 06:19 AM
I got a pedal called a "screaming whore" (terrible name but sounds awesome!) from metalpedals.com that would work for the sound you're after! I think I've tried every modern OD pedal made at one time or another in the past few years but this is the one I've stuck with.
I also had the including Dna Analogic GainFxxker II. It sounded good, but it was too much like a nu-metal type sound for me.

Aruntang
02-18-2007, 07:01 AM
The Gainfxxker most definitely can do more that nu-metal sounds. Its all about fxxk knob and the cut knob. The more you turn the fxxk knob to the the left the more bass is removed from the sound with some mids added, which leaves you with a more tight, chunky and percussive sound ala Marshall JCM800 to Bogner Ecstasy type tones. To the right the bass is emphasized while perhaps removing some mids, giving you more of a Uberschall to Recto kind of sounds. The cut knob also affects the sound adding prescence or smoothing the sound even more. IMO, it is much more than a nu-metal pedal. Still the string to string definition and clarity is amazing to me, not to mention they did an amazing job reproducing the feel of the amps mentioned.

Stressfest
02-18-2007, 08:11 AM
George Lynch Time Machine Boost??

Jarrett
02-18-2007, 08:49 AM
I'm not sure if this is the Lynch tone you are looking for but I did this clip with the Blackfacey amp set clean (Tone King Meteor II) and a Barber Direct Drive dimed:

Direct Drive (http://www.plaidfaction.com/mp3s/Myclips/MeteorII-DirectDrive1.mp3)

Also, Barber has a mod version of this pedal that adds more gain and more tonal control. I'm thinking about sending mine back for the mod.

donbarzini
02-18-2007, 08:50 AM
Time Machine Boost is just a very clean boost. It is not Lynch in a Box.

RevolutionMan
02-18-2007, 02:42 PM
boss metal zone with a keeley twilight zone mod, this mod is pretty spectacular in my opinion, turns an otherwise somewhat cheezy pedal into a monster

Stressfest
02-19-2007, 01:31 AM

Ok...a 69 Purple Plexi and a George Lynch TMB!! :moon

vulcaniza P
02-19-2007, 03:18 AM
isn't there some desktop multi effector made by boss that lynch uses or used? i think he even designed some patches in it or suttin.

ed84246
02-19-2007, 01:00 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll definitely listen to some clips. At first I thought you guys were putting me on with pedals named gainfxxker and "screaming whore" (there's a band called "Goat Whore", maybe they could endorse it and have a special "screaming goat whore" model), but I checked out some clips - some nice high gain stuff, but not sure it really has that mid-bark I was looking for.

I tried a ToneBone Hot British over the weekend and definitely got into that territory. Anyone have any experience with these pedals?

carbz
02-19-2007, 01:44 PM
FWIW Lynch never had a signature sound. His sound varied from record to record. The 1st record was a kind of wimpy sounding marshall IMO, the tooth and nail album despite great songs and playing sounded like a fuzzy mushy buzz saw, Under lock and Key sounds like a rockman for the most part, back for the attack was interesting but very midrangey and dry sounding. Lynch mob stuff IMO was his best sounding stuff tone wise.

Thwap
02-19-2007, 01:49 PM
FWIW Lynch never had a signature sound. His sound varied from record to record. The 1st record was a kind of wimpy sounding marshall IMO, the tooth and nail album despite great songs and playing sounded like a fuzzy mushy buzz saw, Under lock and Key sounds like a rockman for the most part, back for the attack was interesting but very midrangey and dry sounding. Lynch mob stuff IMO was his best sounding stuff tone wise.

Bingo...Rockman is the sound I always associate with lynch, and you're right, he was all over the place on his sound, so the era is just as important as the effect. IMO.

Moe45673
02-19-2007, 01:50 PM
The Tonebone HB is my go-to hi-gain distortion pedal. Thick and juicy, it's just dripping with feel. I sound like an ad campaign, but this is the sound I've always wanted, and it's been going strong for close to 2 years now :AOK

If you like it, take it. Stick an eq pedal after it, and the tonal possibilities are widened.

(for the record, lynch used a Boss OD-1 to goose his amp. You may want to use an OD-3 or something before your pedal to give it a more authentic feel).

ed84246
02-19-2007, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the info. about the OD-1. As for the previous posts, uhh...not sure I'd agree his sound was ever "buzzy or mushy", if anything, sounds like he has less gain than early VH to me. The sounds across the first three albums sound pretty much in the same ballpark to me - this was before his "gear whore" days ala Steve Vai and Brad Whitford who are listed as endorsees for about five hundred companies each. And don't think I'd agree he ever sounded like he was playing through a Scholtz Rockman - most of it sounded like a grinding early metal panel Marshall as he used (borrowed from Aspen Pittman) but everyone's got their opinions so thanks for the input.

carbz
02-19-2007, 07:06 PM
I am almost positive he used a Randall amp on "Tooth and Nail" being he had an endorsement with them at the time. I had a Randall myself and it had that same kind of mushy breakup I hear on that album. The "Under lock and Key record is very rockman sounding though I doubt its a rockman. Much different then T&N IMO. If you like it hey its your taste. To each his own. I never really cared for his tone at all. I don't think he cared for it much either.

Kapo_Polenton
02-19-2007, 10:13 PM
What about the HBE pedals? I think the FJM can't remember the name exactly (army green ) sounded pretty awesome and its tight as well. They have a boost switch on it.... I compared it to the other pedal they have which is one of those stack in a box british sounding pedals and I think this green pedals is far tighter and smoother. I think it gives the 80's sound and I am picky as hell when it comes to 80's tone. Those metal pedals in my opinion were far too brittle and fizzy.. http://www.homebrewelectronics.com/products.htm

scottywompas
02-20-2007, 12:09 AM
This is the same as those EVH in a box threads. Any high gain source will get you in the neighborhood but Lynch's tone is all in his fingers. He has a shap attack on the strings and it is impossible to get the sound without the right attack on the strings.

Get a high gain pedal, like a DS1,crunchbox, etc.. and dial in a little more midragnge on your amp and you should be in the ballpark.

Scott.:JAM

donbarzini
02-20-2007, 06:09 AM
Ok...a 69 Purple Plexi and a George Lynch TMB!! :moon

Nice Crack!

Stressfest
02-20-2007, 06:21 AM
I thought so...:D

ed84246
02-21-2007, 11:25 AM
Think I'm leaning towards the Hot British - it really gets that mid-range snarl and bark. Problem is this thing has too much gain. Radial describes it as a double stack Plexi, but even at the lowest settings, it's still a little too buzzy. Maybe Keeley or Analogman can do a mod? But besides that, I was able to get really close to the Tooth and Nail tone when I tried it out.

The only other thing that go me real close was the Boss Metal Zone but that was way over the top with distortion - now the Keeley mod might be something to look into here as one of you mentioned. I'm sending him a Line 6 DL4 so maybe I'll pick up a cheap used metal zone and send him that as well to mod.

Anyway, thanks again for all your suggestions. This really is a great forum to get information and it's a lot of fun.

Ed

Moe45673
02-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Hey Ed,

The Hot British is an extremely adjustable pedal with a multitude of potential settings. I set it up to what is IMO its optimal setting and leave it there. It's my go-to hi gain pedal, and I bought the DGTM to do lower gain overdrive.

Having said that, I got the Monte Allums Sustainia modded Boss MT-2 (non tri-gain) a while back. I should have kept it as a backup, but alas had an OD-20 (which I now want to sell). The Hot Brit kicks ass when set up optimally, but the MT-2 is much easier to dial in and came very close in that "juicyness" department. Bit more sterile, but no boss pedal, no matter how its modded, can ever match a good boutique or high-end dirt pedal.

Anyhow, Monte's mod kicks. I recommend it because it's dirt cheap, but you get a mod on par with keeleys. Check him out www.monteallums.com/product_links.html (http://www.monteallums.com/product_links.html)

I should add the soundclips don't really capture the "feel" of the pedal. It sounds "bigger" in real life

fiftywatt
02-22-2007, 04:44 PM
I would also highly recommend the Hot British, or the Plexitube which is a 2 channel version. The Zoom HL-01 HyperLead runs a close second to the HB on my pedalboard. It sounds a little more solid state than the HB, but is still terrific. The Zoom TM-01 TriMetal is also worth a look. Very nice sounding pedal for the more modern heavy stuff.

Cusack Effects
02-23-2007, 07:50 PM
I think he's still using a Cusack Screamer. Although I have heard he is working on an OD of his own?

deluxemeat
02-23-2007, 07:57 PM
my amp that george had in the backline of the last tour sounds like goerge lynch in a box! lol

steve10358
02-24-2007, 07:53 PM

check out www.soundclick.com/stevemattucci (http://www.soundclick.com/stevemattucci) or www.myspace.com/stephenmattucci (http://www.myspace.com/stephenmattucci) first solo on "believe" is mine. 77 JMP w/ the clean side of the lynch time machine boost. I thinks its in the hands really- not a pedal.

6stringgrind
02-24-2007, 10:01 PM
As others have said, most of Lynch's sound is in his touch. I've never heard anyone completely cop his sound because of this.

ed84246
02-24-2007, 11:14 PM
Although I agree a lot of our tone is in our fingers, I disagree with people who say it's all there and gear doesn't matter. The whole thing that Eddie Van Halen or George Lynch or whoever would sound like him no matter what he played through is a bit of an exageration in my opinion. If Eddie and I played the same riff through his original Marshall rig, yes, it would sound different. But no one can tell me then that if Eddie played the same riff through a Polytone mini-brute and a Gibson L-5, that the tone would sound closer to his riff on the Marshall rig than me playing it through the Marshall as well. If tone is all in the fingers and gear didn't matter, then we'd all be playing the same guitars and amps.

Anyway, my thread was not how to sound exactly like George Lynch, it was to find a pedal that would give me that general tone as I find it unique and different than other eighties guys like Van Halen. And with all the constructive suggesitions in this thread, I actually found what I was looking for so thanks to all you who helped.

Ed

KLINKDETROIT
02-25-2007, 01:27 AM
What did you find?