PDA

View Full Version : Mesa Rectoverb 50w combo--very surprised

jpage
02-21-2007, 08:48 PM
I just assaulted my eardrums with this amp that just arrived from a GP'er and I have to say, not bad at all. I've heard plenty of so-so reviews about the clean tone but I found it tweakable and quite pleasant and fun to play. So far (as usual) my favorite areas are the fully pushed "clean" channel and the 2nd channel at low to mid gain. Oddly enough, the "modern" voicing seems to be my favorite. I was afraid I'd be stuck with that dark Mesa chugga chugga but so far I've found string definition on chords and a very bright tone.

Anyone else have good experiences with these amps? It seems to match up better with a Fulldrive than it does with my OCD. I generally gravitate towards Marshall tones but I seem to be dialing in some decent Warren Haynes SLO grind that I was not expecting at all. Again-very in your face which is entirely the opposite of what I thought I'd get out of a Mesa Recto. It's not the Marshall tone I'm used to but it definitely works in its own way. Tough to say after playing it for an hour and a half but I think I'll be keeping this around (for a while anyway--we all know how that goes).

Thanks Chad--hope you are bonding with the Strat!

doomy3
02-21-2007, 08:59 PM
Loving the Strat! Thanks for a smooth deal! It was hard letting that Mesa go, and you're right the cleans are very good and the overdrive is great! Have fun with that thing!

frankencat
02-21-2007, 09:11 PM
I love my ROV. So many great tones in this amp from clean to classic to heavy. Try it with some EL34's.:AOK

jpage
02-21-2007, 09:29 PM
Try it with some EL34's.:AOK

Definitely soon! Couldn't bring myself to bother with that tonight I was having too much fun. One things for sure--this amp PROJECTS and needs to be opened up a bit to get the tone it's supposed to. Just to see, I cranked the gain, the bass and the treble and set the mids to 0 and the volume to 1/2--Guitar Center City! Seriously though--this amp would be worthless in an apartment. I have a dedicated basement in a spacious neighborhood and I'm hesitant to play anymore tonight (it's past 9:00pm on a Wed). Chad, I have no clue how you played this at church--unless it was one of those TV evangelical church auditoriums.

Pretty cool solution for a grab (w/BOTH hands) and go rock amp solution. Bray modded Marshall gets here tomorrow--you've got to love it when the Gov'nor gives you money back...

John Phillips
02-22-2007, 02:30 AM
Welcome to the Real World outside of TGP :).

I really don't know why Mesa are so looked down on round here. Almost all of the ones I've played have sounded at least as good, if not outright better, than most of the boutique amps I've tried, and do so with useful modern features, high build quality and easy availability.

Yes, they can be a little more demanding to dial in than some amps - that's because the controls actually do a lot, and you can get a lot more than just a couple of good sounds out of them if you know how.

Miles
02-22-2007, 08:09 AM
I've had 2 rectoverbs and I really tried to love them. I agree that the clean channel and pushed modes have A LOT to offer in those amps. For the overdriven tones, the modern mode was unusable, the vintage mode was alright, and the raw mode was alright.

I switched to JJ tubes after a couple weeks on the 2nd rectoverb and it helped a little, and the channel 2 settings I was using were as follows:

Gain: 1:00
Treble 11:00
Mid: 2:00
Bass 1:00
Presence: 10:00
Master 12:00

Not bad tones, just not great. It doesn't seem like mesa takes anymore hate than a lot of other amps on this board, and rightly so. Mesa make some very nice amplifiers, and I always admire the new voicings they try to put out.

For the recto series, I like the dual recto's tone better. It's VERY similar, but with the spongy setting, I enjoy it more. The biggest beef I had with the rectos I owned was that on overdrive settings, they seemed to fight with me. The overdriven tone sounded over-compressed and it always sounded as though something very good was just about to come out of the speaker, and it wouldn't. I've been much happier since with my Black pearl, PV classics, and Rivera Chubster. Rectoverb has it's place in the tone world, just didn't work as well for me.

jpage
02-22-2007, 10:12 AM
Funny--I NEVER would have thought I would prefer the "modern" voicing but I can't get anything but mud from the "raw" and the "vintage" isn't much better. On the amp I received yesterday, channel 2 might as well be labeled, "Modern", "One Blanket Over Amp", and "Two Blankets Over Amp". Folks seem to speak of how nice it sounds at low volumes but I didn't hear that either. The tones I was impressed with happened when the amp was breathing at about a good "drummer level". Anything less than that I though sounded compressed like Miles speaks of.

FWIW, I found the Lonestar Classic I owned to be unuseable with humbucker guitars because it was voiced so dark, so I definitely am sensitive to what I would consider muddy tones. My benchmark for a high gain tone is the aforementioned Haynes/SLO stuff, and if I can get somewhere close to that in a package with a decent clean and low gain tone, I think this amp will work for me.

But then again I'm only a couple of hours in...

Miles
02-22-2007, 11:04 AM
No, I mean that's great. You probably like brighter voiced amps then I do. That's why there are so many out there...for different ears and styles.

The ROV is built very well, and I really liked the C90 speaker it came with. I just happen to like Vox voiced amps better, and it took a few rounds with rectos to realize it.

jpage
02-22-2007, 11:52 AM
Right on Miles--you've got to let me know when you decide you are moving on w/a piece of gear. We can probably save ourselves some shipping charges. PM me if you are out playing--I'd like to check your band out (there is so little good stuff here in Denver right now).

Miles
02-22-2007, 12:04 PM
Right on Miles--you've got to let me know when you decide you are moving on w/a piece of gear. We can probably save ourselves some shipping charges. PM me if you are out playing--I'd like to check your band out (there is so little good stuff here in Denver right now).

I stopped drumming for the band I was playing with (since we're local, I will exclude the name to not sabotage them), because it became about image, and there was no substance and the music started to suck...bad. Also, they promised a bunch of gigs coming up, BUT instead, decided to spend more time taking glamour shots of their studio standing next to their guitars than writing music. It was disgusting. I waited it out for a little while to see where things were going, but dates went by, and no gigs came out of it. I'm involved with my family pretty heavily, so if I'm going to take time away on nights or weekends, it better be for a great cause, and this band wasn't worth the powder it would take to blow them to hell. They started off sounding indie rock, which was somewhat interesting, then started into a nickelback meets bush "lets get the attention of labels and women" downward spiral, so I left.

I am currently writing music. nothing pivotal or exceptional, but I get 10x the satisfaction putting down a song on an 8-track in an afternoon, than I ever did playing with those tits. But I'm inspired by all kinds of rock from Killing Joke, to NIN, to Oasis, Bowie, the Beatles, Radiohead, Foo Fighters, etc... and I draw inspiration and ideas from my dissatisfaction with politics and our surroundings, OR things that I'm excited about.

Do you play around town?

If so, let us know, and I know what you mean about bad music in Denver. It's a bunch of emo or nu-metal clones that sound interchangeably the same. If I unintentionally insult your taste in music, please forgive me, but everyone sounds like a version of whiney posed punk, or they try to take on the persona of a nickelback esque vibe, which, in seeing it live, makes me gag and want to throw my guitars away and NEVER make music. SO many bands are horrible here, and they don't have a clue why people think they're completely tasteless.

I will say, that I saw a good Irish band playing at a Martini party a couple weeks ago. But they'd never catch on in a commercial sense. That's the world we live in.

Oh, back on track...

I used to find that with the Rectoverb, my use for any ext cabs vanished. Very big sounding amplifier. I also liked some of the nasty but lush violin tones I would get by getting an SG's neck pickup close to the amp...very cool. I think every amp that I've owned has brought out different creative aspects that others cannot offer. Whether I hang on to them is a different story. The ROV is built like a tank, and I never had to mic up. Oh, and again, I LOVED the sound of Channel 1 pushed with the reverb at 10:00...bliss. Great tones live there, single coil or HB.

boonhogganbeck
02-22-2007, 01:11 PM

I really don't know why Mesa are so looked down on round here. Almost all of the ones I've played have sounded at least as good, if not outright better, than most of the boutique amps I've tried, and do so with useful modern features, high build quality and easy availability.

Yes, they can be a little more demanding to dial in than some amps - that's because the controls actually do a lot, and you can get a lot more than just a couple of good sounds out of them if you know how.

I really like my F-50. I did have to weed through a couple of speakers before I found one I liked, though. Probably would've been fine I they still came with EVs. When I was "coming up" everyone aspired to own a Boogie - they were the high end amp surpassing Fenders and Marshalls, in perception anyway. In the last ten years or so it seems that they've become "no longer boutique". I think this is for two reasons. 1 - Mesa hitched their wagon to the "new metal" train in the nineties and that is the sound they are predominantly identified with now. 2 - we are currently in a renissance of sort with all the boutique amplifiers. I'm pretty content with what I've got, though. I like the sound, durability, and Boogie customer service.

LSchefman
02-22-2007, 07:12 PM
My tremoverb was my main recording amp for ten years.

I not only really liked it, I still think it was a great amp, despite owning several boutiquers later on.

Different from them, but still excellent.

Mesas ARE underrated amps around here.

HeeHaw
02-22-2007, 08:10 PM
I have a Rectoverb 50 head, and also have the combo box to go with it as well. It's a nifty amp that can get really loud. I use it at church as well as other places. When it's in the combo, I'm not really thrilled with the Black Shadow speaker, but I love it with my Reinhardt cab that's loaded with several Reinhardt 65 watt speakers.

boonhogganbeck
02-23-2007, 08:05 AM
I didn't like the black shadow either (C90). I replaced it with an Eminence Red, White and Blues.

jpage
02-23-2007, 10:19 AM
I replaced it with an Eminence Red, White and Blues.

How would you describe the difference in tone with the Eminence?

homeunit
02-23-2007, 10:27 AM
The other guitar player in my band has a tremoverb, and he can get wide range of tones out that thing. It's not my bag but they work great.

jpage
02-23-2007, 10:37 AM
Miles--no, not playing out right now. I'm just too busy (or too old) to put up with drummers to be honest with you, LOL. I decided that I had to either quit the whole mess or strangle the next percussionist that suggested we try "something with some more funk to it".

That and I have a job--for some reason, it's hard finding folks that aren't trying to "make it big" LOL...

jpage
02-23-2007, 10:39 AM
Miles--have you seen "Huge in Germany"? Now, you want to put a band like that together, give me a call.

boonhogganbeck
02-23-2007, 11:30 AM
How would you describe the difference in tone with the Eminence?

I think I would describe it as much more smooth than the C90. I thought the C90 sounded brittle. I should mention that I've never cared for classic lead 80s either (the basis of the C90). It's strong in the mids without a spike, nice lows, and smooth highs that I find pleasant rather than harsh. To my ears it has a nice warmth to it. Mayber it's the medium magnet vs. the heavy mag in the C90 (Besides that, I know nothing about speaker design). I tried it after hearing the Two Rock 1265 in a friend's cabinet. According to Eminence that speaker and the RW&B are very similar.

kramerxxx
02-23-2007, 12:24 PM
I am in Denver.

I have a 2006 Dual Rec with the VooDoo Deluxe mods, great amp, but....

The best thing I've ever done for a Mesa happened to me last weekend. I bought an MXR 10 EQ pedal and ran it through the loop. If you can borrow one, try it. If you feel like dragging the head down to Guitar Center, test drive one. This is a much better unit that the Boss or a Rane rack mount that I've tried.

I run the preamp send hot, the return full up and use the loop button on the footswitch to bring it in and out. If I'm using a digital processor through the loop I run the cables after the unit into the EQ and switch it on and off with the pedal instead of the M/B footswitch.

Miles
02-23-2007, 12:27 PM
Miles--no, not playing out right now. I'm just too busy (or too old) to put up with drummers to be honest with you, LOL. I decided that I had to either quit the whole mess or strangle the next percussionist that suggested we try "something with some more funk to it".

That and I have a job--for some reason, it's hard finding folks that aren't trying to "make it big" LOL...

I think I do alright as a drummer because I'm a guitarist first. So, I think I have a good understanding of dynamics and drive with rock music. And I've played with a LOT of annoying drummers. I like both instruments for different reasons, but guitar is my first priority. I'll look up "huge in germany" and have a look.

HeeHaw
02-23-2007, 12:33 PM
My Rectoverb is a nifty amp. It covers a lot of ground for heavy stuff, but I'm still out on whether or not I'm going to keep it. It's just a little over the top for what I'm used too. It sounds pretty neat with my strat as well as my SG, and the solo boost isn't a bad thing.

jpage
02-23-2007, 02:41 PM
Considering what it would cost in sweat to pack and $$ to ship, I'm thinking I'll have mine for awhile.

Miles, that "Huge in Germany" band is out of Winter Park and they are great guys who play rock covers shamelessly. They have a great following and a phenomenal attitude (they do not take themselves seriously and just have fun). Sounds like you are a serious musician so they might not be up your alley but if you are ever up in WP, check the Tavern on Saturday night. Good time, decent tone, and Dazed and Confused with a violin bow.

1973Marshall
04-07-2007, 12:29 PM
I tried a Rectoverb at GC last night

I was hooked, and I was shocked. I have never liked them before. I played a CS Tele Relic thru it and it ripped! It had the C90, and it was obviously worn in (used amp). I would love to hear a 2x12 with C90 and V30.

I felt the Modern = JCM Hot Rod, Vintage was kinda dark but nice.

The clean was really nice, the pushed was nice as well, but didn't clean up that great. I am curious how it takes pedals.

Phil M
04-07-2007, 02:16 PM
Hi, couple questions for anyone that might know. Is the Rectoverb the same amp as the Single Rectifier, just with reverb added or are there other differences?

1973Marshall
04-07-2007, 08:10 PM
I want to know how the Rectoverb differs from the TREMOVERB

Mr. Brady
04-07-2007, 09:08 PM
I want to know how the Rectoverb differs from the TREMOVERB

I've owned a rectoverb and currently own a tremoverb. The tremoverb is everything I liked about the rectoverb and more.

The rectoverb's modes are slightly different. You have clean and pushed on the clean channel, Raw, Vintage, and Modern on the distortion channel of the rectoverb. The rectoverb is 50 watts with solid state rectifier. The rectoverb has a solo boost feature.

The tremoverb has 4 modes. Clean and Vintage on the orange channel and Blues and Modern on the red channel. It has channel cloning, choice of solid state or tube rectification, a bold or spongy option, tremolo, independent reverb settings for each channel, a better effects loop, 100 watts.

Tone wise the tremoverb is a smoother more refined sounding amp to my ears. Both sound really good, but the tremoverb just has a smoother singing tone to it than the rectoverb to my ears as well as being able to retain that recto aggressiveness also. I feel the blues mode alone is worth it on the tremoverb as it's a very responsive mode and cleans up great with volume adjustments.

The rectoverb is basically a single recto with reverb added.

billm408
04-07-2007, 10:55 PM
I had a 50w Series I rectoverb for the past 2 years and loved it. Play mostly hard rock/metal so it fit a lot of the requirements. Reasonable cleans, great high gain channel- I tended toward the clean vs. pushed option and modern vs. vintage. I too got real muddy tones from the vintage gain. The reverb is pretty weak, but... that's not why you buy a boogie. I highly recommend it as either a combo or head. Wish I hadn't sold it. Oh well...

papersoul
05-25-2007, 08:10 PM

I have a Hughes & Kettner Switchblade and Rivera K-100 (for my Marshally tones) and really want a high gain modern type amp that is versatile enough to do clean, AC/DC and modern heavy rock. I keep hearing wonderful things about the Rectoverbs, especially the older models! I heard the series one Rectoverbs are incredible. I may have to overlook a Rivera Tre or one of the high end Framus amps, etc for a Rectoverb.

Are they worth it with the solid state rectifier? I always thought the tube rectifier, hence the dual recs and up were the ones to get for their nice smooth feel and sag?
How about the version II Rectoverbs?

I keep looking at all these other amps like Engls, Framus, but keep coming back to lookin at Mesas. I think I would prefer the Tremoverb for the 100 watts, better headroom for clean, tube rectifier. I would go for an older model because the older models seemed smoother and the Tremoverb seems smoother than a Rectifier. Something about the reverb in the untis smooths out the highs.

One really great thing with my Rivera and I wish other amps would have is the send/return levels on the effects loop - you can use it as an attenuator for low volume playing and this makes a HUGE difference. My Rivera i splayable at lower volumes. I have an older Rectifier sitting in my room (borrowed) and I don't even bother turning it on unless it is a gig.

John Phillips
05-26-2007, 03:44 AM
I have to say that I'd only get the Rectoverb if buying new or weight is a consideration (yes, I know the Rectoverb is heavy too but the Tremoverb is even worse). The Rectoverb is very good, but the T-verb is just much better.

Aside from the weight, it does have a few flaws, but IMO they're worth overlooking for the extra power and versatility, and the outstanding tone. The tremolo is cool too :).

If you get one, be careful to check ALL the functions for correct operation. They use a very large number (25) of Vactrol opto-switches, and these have a known problem with failure as they get older. Earlier Tremoverbs are getting old enough that you can expect occasional problems - although it's by no means at all common yet - and they are quite a pain to change, although any decent tech should be able to.

recto-robbie
06-20-2007, 10:32 PM
Ive owned a ROV series 2 combo for about 6 months now and love the thing. I bought and returned about 7 amps before settling on this amp.
I second guessed myself a few times after keeping it long enough that I couldnt return it and kept trying different amps including more boogies but none that I found could beat it for what it does and the superb quality. I didnt try amps with more than 50 watts because I havent found myself playing stadiums very often... Its clean channel is beautiful,,, a bit dark if you like it like that.
Honestly I havent tried the series 1 but I think you would most deffinatly want the raw mode second channel on the series 2. My favorite modes seem to be the channel 2 raw, channel 2 vintage then channel 1 pushed.
The only complaint I have at all with the ROV is the weak reverb it offers, but I added a pedal for that and its perfect for me.
Maybe a month after owning it I went out and got the boogie 2x12 recto cab to lay the combo on. Im telling you,, if you try this you will not want to play with out the cab... unbelievable. The combos c90 and the cabs v30's seem to compliment each other extremely well.
The combo alone sounds great and is deffinatly loud enough to play alone for most gigs but if you add the cab it becomes so much fuller because of the three speakers but adds so much bottom end. If you like that deep chugga, chugga type sound you will be in heaven. its almost 3d sounding,,magical. The cab is as well made as the ROV,,, solid as a tank. I use a few overdrive pedals in front which help a bit with my lead playing.
Ive bought numerous tubes both 6l6's and el34's for sh!ts and grins and find myself swapping them around when I think a sound gets old to my ears,, I really havent decided on a favorite and I cant say that any sound bad. This amp is great,,, try one out

papersoul
06-21-2007, 06:04 AM

I agree, my Dual Rectifier sounded better at rehearsal and gigs than my VHT 100 UL.

Miles
06-21-2007, 09:09 AM
The worst thing about the rectoverb is the pause between changing channels. I couldn't stand it. The rectoverb and tremoverb are geared towards the same player. But I agree that the tremoverb is better. It offers a wider range of more usable tones. The rectoverb's modern setting is unbearable. I like a smoother and fatter drive. The rectoverb is not a bad amp at all, it's a good amp, but it's not for me.

The lonestar is where it's at IMO