PDA

View Full Version : Lerxst-Tone Big Al Psych-O-Whirl

Red Barchetta
03-01-2007, 10:27 PM
I just got my new Lerxst-Tone Big Al Psych-O-Whirl today and will play the first gig with it tomorrow! Sounds really cool....Can't wait!!!:RoCkIn

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n178/jhippler/BigAlPsych-O-Whirl.jpg

RB

erksin
03-01-2007, 11:01 PM
Phaser..?

Digitalman
03-02-2007, 03:29 PM
Cmon, don't tease - what's the pedal?

Chorus? Rotosphere? Phase?

What's it got to do with Alex?

Red Barchetta
03-02-2007, 03:39 PM
Cmon, don't tease - what's the pedal?

Chorus? Rotosphere? Phase?

What's it got to do with Alex?

Ok....Ok....I was just waiting for someone to get the Rush reference!:BEER

It actually has nothing directly to do with Alex Lifeson, other than he used the effect in the early days of Rush....the pedal is a BYOC Script Phaser...totally kicks the Booooottyyyyyy of my modded Phase 90, and of my borrowed EVH w/script button. Sounds like I remember my old one sounded....goes slower than the new ones, too...and has a depth knob. Nice touch....fully dimed, its the same as the original script depth...but adjustable.

I plan on painting it this weekend after the gig, and tweaking the lettering as well.

RB

erksin
03-02-2007, 03:43 PM
Ok....Ok....I was just waiting for someone to get the Rush reference!:BEER

It actually has nothing directly to do with Alex Lifeson, other than he used the effect in the early days of Rush....the pedal is a BYOC Script Phaser...totally kicks the Booooottyyyyyy of my modded Phase 90, and of my borrowed EVH w/script button. Sounds like I remember my old one sounded....goes slower than the new ones, too...and has a depth knob. Nice touch....fully dimed, its the same as the original script depth...but adjustable.

I plan on painting it this weekend after the gig, and tweaking the lettering as well.

RB

Lakeside Park'd...

:dude

drolling
03-02-2007, 03:46 PM
Cool!! It probably sounds better than your old one (memory can be a tricky thing) - I let mine go for stupid money when I got my Sweetsound Ultravibe a few years back..

Still have the matching Dynacomp & 6 band EQ, but they're pretty much retired now.

Clips???

Ben C.
03-02-2007, 03:47 PM
Lakeside Park'd...
Necromancer'd

erksin
03-02-2007, 03:50 PM
Necromancer'd

Didacts And Narpets'd...

Red Barchetta
03-02-2007, 03:54 PM
Ben and Erskin...both quoted songs that came to my mind as well...

As far as clips, I actually have NO home recording stuff...I'm trying to decide on something to get....mainly for clips....but there's so many things to consider, I've not really made up my mind...so I just sit. :rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to the job tonight, I'll get to see just how she works with my live rig...I'll post an update, and pics after I paint it.

Go Rush! Only 1 month, 29 days, 8 hours, 7 minutes, and 30 seconds to go until the new album is released.

RB

erksin
03-02-2007, 03:58 PM
Go Rush! Only 1 month, 29 days, 8 hours, 7 minutes, and 30 seconds to go until the new album is released.

RB

I'm really looking forward to it - VT was a disappointment to me, soundwise - and I like their new stuff a LOT, especially T4E...

:dude

Ben C.
03-02-2007, 04:03 PM
Didacts And Narpets'd...
You know something... I am sooo Rush'd out after listening to them for (only) 17-18 years. However, CoS was probably my least favorite album by them, and it's the one I can most easily listen to now because I listened to it so little back in the day!

Ben and Erskin...both quoted songs that came to my mind as well...
Rock over Dirk. Rock on Lerxst.
Pratt - drummer of champions.

-Ben

erksin
03-02-2007, 04:47 PM
You know something... I am sooo Rush'd out after listening to them for (only) 17-18 years. However, CoS was probably my least favorite album by them, and it's the one I can most easily listen to now because I listened to it so little back in the day!

-Ben

I've been listening since '79 - :eek:

I can't listen to 2112 much at all anymore, or Fly By Night for that matter.

The ones that still kick my ass the most are Permanent Waves (prolly my most fave album by anybody evar - I love every single song on it), A Farewell To Kings, and Test For Echo.

:BEER

Red Barchetta
03-02-2007, 04:52 PM
I've taken a particular shine to Hemispheres...I also like The Camera Eye from Moving pictures. Vapor Trails was a disappointment for me as well, mainly because of the mastering at mixdown. Everything was mastered so hot, there's no dynamics....very fatiguing to listen to.

Now that I'm thinking of it, there is something I like on each and every album they've put out...even VT. I'm such a Rush geek, I've got all their albums on my ipod...even a couple bootleg tracks.

RB

jdps150
03-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Cool!

Then you'll need http://www.2112.net/rushfonts/index.html

Red Barchetta
03-02-2007, 05:19 PM
Already got 'em, Joe...thanks...the font I have on there now is "Strangiato".

RB

jdps150
03-02-2007, 05:31 PM
Doh!

:)

Ben C.
03-02-2007, 07:20 PM
I've been listening since '79 - :eek:

I can't listen to 2112 much at all anymore, or Fly By Night for that matter.

The ones that still kick my ass the most are Permanent Waves (prolly my most fave album by anybody evar - I love every single song on it), A Farewell To Kings, and Test For Echo.

Uhh.. damn. '79? Let's see... in '79 I had just entered the 1st grade. I think my musical experiences at that point were limited to an eclectic collection of my dad's, including Brubeck, Al Hirt, the Everly Brothers, Patsy Cline, and Chet Atkins. ;)

PW is definitely a great album, although I never really enjoyed Freewill. Entre Nous / Different Strings / Natural Science... hells yea. And let's get it straight too... I own all their tapes (followed by re-buying it all on CDs), numerous bootlegs, VHS, DVD, etc. Tourbooks, t-shirts, 'The Complete Rush' sheet music book that I had signed by the security guard who wouldn't let me get backstage, etc. I still love the boys and their music dearly. I mean, I really don't care for T4E, or VT, yet they're still on my iPod in case one day I get that revelation and start diggin' em.

-Ben

Red Barchetta
03-03-2007, 11:39 AM
You know Ben, even though I have less faves of the Boys' albums, sometimes a fresh listen after a while makes me look at 'em a different way. I like T4E....but sometimes I have to step away from an album and re-visit it later. I too have all the Rush stuff...DVDs, etc. (R3 was awesome...the R30 tour DVD was beyond stellar)

Anyway...update on the Lerxst-Tone Big Al Psych-O-Whirl. Did the gig last night, and was extremely impressed, even using it on some songs I normally don't put phase on. The sound was the best script phase sound I can remember...fast, slow, or in between...I didn't do an A/B with a vintage one, but like I said before, I did with a R28 mod new one, and an EVH one....

I am impressed with the BYOC, and in my opinion, if you're looking for script phase 90 sounds...I don't think you can do better, even with a vintage one. Now, I realize, some may prefer other brands of phaser, but if you like the phase 90 style, I really believe this is the pinnacle.

Anyway...I'll post pics when I paint the bugger up.

RB