PDA

View Full Version : Boss RC-2 Ext. footswitch question...

erksin
03-03-2007, 04:16 PM
I have one of these lying around:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/erksin/PS-1.jpg

It's a Korg PS-1 non-latching footswitch for a digital piano - it acts as the sustain pedal. Basically, you step on it and it allows the keys to ring like on a regular piano - lift your foot and they mute.

So my question is, can this thing be used like a Roland/Boss FS-5U foot controller? I'm thinking about picking up an RC-2 in the near future and was wondering if I could use this footswitch with it instead of having to buy another...

Thanks for your replies!

drolling
03-03-2007, 05:59 PM
Hey Erksin, I had a Yamaha 'sustain' pedal that worked exactly like the FS-5U, so I'd imagine any 'unlatched' type switch would as well. I used it to turn drum machines off/on, trigger samplers & most recently to kick my RC-20XL into reverse mode.

But I decided to blow the wad on an FS-6 (two buttons) for my RC-2, which I've configured to scroll thru' the loops & turn the drum pattern off & on - You could probably do something similar w/a couple of those Korgs.

erksin
03-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Hmmm...

So you can assign the FS-6 to two different functions on the RC-2, huh? I can see how that would be really cool and useful.

Boss doesn't have the RC-2 manual up on their site (ARRRGH!), I can't figure out how to access the drum programs just looking at the pedal's control layout - which function controls the drums? Can you scroll the drum patterns too?

drolling
03-03-2007, 07:17 PM
E, I'm not in the studio now, but it seems to me that the loop selector knob scrolls thru' the 30 odd drum patterns when the dial on the far right's pointing at the quarter note.. Could be wrong tho' - little pedal's packed w/functions & I've barely scratched the surface as I'm playing mainly acoustic these days, in a little gypsy jazz trio, of all crazy things!

Using the Falcon for this gig, tho - w/a clip-on Stimer repro pickup for that authentic 'Django-approved' 1950 tone!!

erksin
03-03-2007, 07:30 PM
E, I'm not in the studio now, but it seems to me that the loop selector knob scrolls thru' the 30 odd drum patterns when the dial on the far right's pointing at the quarter note.. Could be wrong tho' - little pedal's packed w/functions & I've barely scratched the surface as I'm playing mainly acoustic these days, in a little gypsy jazz trio, of all crazy things!

Using the Falcon for this gig, tho - w/a clip-on Stimer repro pickup for that authentic 'Django-approved' 1950 tone!!

Sounds like a cool set-up!

I wish Boss would just post the frigging manual online - they'd sell me on a FS-6 if I knew what it could do for me... :mad:

drolling
03-03-2007, 09:27 PM
Sounds like a cool set-up!

I wish Boss would just post the frigging manual online - they'd sell me on a FS-6 if I knew what it could do for me... :mad:If I'm not mistaken, the FS-6'll let you perform most of the 'hands-on' functions of the RC-2, but you'd obviously have to limit your choices to two.

I'll be in the studio on Monday, so I'll grab the manual (if I haven't misplaced it!) and get back to you.

In the meantime, I can't see how experimenting w/that sustain pedal could do any harm..

moody07747
03-03-2007, 09:45 PM
I have one of these lying around:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/erksin/PS-1.jpg

It's a Korg PS-1 non-latching footswitch for a digital piano - it acts as the sustain pedal. Basically, you step on it and it allows the keys to ring like on a regular piano - lift your foot and they mute.

So my question is, can this thing be used like a Roland/Boss FS-5U foot controller? I'm thinking about picking up an RC-2 in the near future and was wondering if I could use this footswitch with it instead of having to buy another...

Thanks for your replies!

I made an FS-6 myself
the FS-5U is a single non latching switch in Normally open position.

if yours is normally closed as my old Casio pedal from keyboards was you'll need to switch it around with the built in switch of there's one on there.

my pedal on board:
http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/moody07747/Completed%20Projects/DIY%20Boss%20FS-6/

look at the boss site for the manual

erksin
03-03-2007, 09:49 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the FS-6'll let you perform most of the 'hands-on' functions of the RC-2, but you'd obviously have to limit your choices to two.

I'll be in the studio on Monday, so I'll grab the manual (if I haven't misplaced it!) and get back to you.

In the meantime, I can't see how experimenting w/that sustain pedal could do any harm..

Well, I'd need an actual RC-2 to plug it in to first I think... :D

Thanks for checking the manual - I'm really eager to add a looper to my rig. I wish the RC-2 had a USB, but it seems to have everything else a looping newb could ever want.

Can you set the tempo of the drum tracks? Are there any waltz patterns in there, or are they all pretty much straight up rock?

I hate to do it, but I think I'm just going to have to go to GC and see if they have any to demo.

drolling
03-03-2007, 10:49 PM
There's a chart in the manual that breaks down the beat 'types', but they sound pretty much straight-ahead 4-on-the-floor rock to me..

And you can set their speed w/a couple of taps, much like the metronome function in the RC-20s & the DigiTech JamMan.

I'm really surprised the manual's not online like every other BOSS pedal I've looked for. I lost the one that came w/my 20XL and would have been sunk w/o the PDF file I grabbed off the site. These loopers are a bit more complicated than your average tubescreamer!

p00n
03-04-2007, 01:08 AM
Its quite a pain but you can get the manual if you go to http://www.rolandus.com/support and register..

moody07747
03-04-2007, 10:46 AM
Its quite a pain but you can get the manual if you go to http://www.rolandus.com/support and register..

must be why a Google search didn't pull anything up last night

ill scan my manual in later and lay it out in a Microsoft word file or something similar.

erksin
03-04-2007, 11:01 AM
Tube Guy was nice enough to send me the RC-2 pdf last night, I'd be happy to send it to anybody who needs it...

radcliff
03-04-2007, 11:13 AM
I would love to see it, I wanted to look at the manual before deciding to buy one:)

guitaradcliff@gmail.com

Thanks!

erksin
03-04-2007, 11:20 AM
I would love to see it, I wanted to look at the manual before deciding to buy one:)

guitaradcliff@gmail.com

Thanks!

Incoming!

44 pages - I feel defeated already...

:jo

stingray
05-09-2007, 10:12 AM

guitaradcliff@gmail.com

Thanks!

Manual can be downloaded at: http://www.roland.com/products/en/_support/om.cfm?ln=en&dsp=0&iCncd=1454

rabbit
05-09-2007, 12:03 PM
I purchased a RC-2 today and already think about adding an additional footswitch. Please report how other footswitches than the Boss ones work with the RC-2 and how you like them. Thanks

veer chasm
05-10-2007, 12:06 AM
If anyone is interested I'm selling my FS-6 like new in original box for $35. E-mail me at veerchasm@adelphia.net