PDA

View Full Version : Could someone explain "sweetened" tunings?

Earthworm
03-04-2007, 05:32 PM
I bought the Strobostomp 2 today and have read the manual (not very well written, IMO). I don't understand the sweetened tunings. I play many songs in different tunings, but don't understand how this works with the Strobostomp. Great pedal, btw. Man, does the guitar ever sound in tune. My previous tuner was the Boss TU-2.

Oh, thanks.

Matt Gordon
03-04-2007, 05:45 PM
Just an offset to the normal temperment, as you know, the guitar was never perfect. The Buzz man (Feiten) makes it better but that also includes a modded nut, and thus without that, wouldn't help you much. I use strobosoft for Mac. Killer stuff but I always use simply the intonation setting.

Earthworm
03-04-2007, 07:12 PM
What do you mean "offset to the normal temperment"? I'm confused.

Flyin' Brian
03-04-2007, 07:24 PM
Maybe these help.

http://www.acousticfingerstyle.com/gtartuning.htm

http://www.buzzfeiten.com/

There are some naysayers on this forum, but for my purposes, there's nothing like a Buzz Feiten modified guitar, especially when playing unison lines with keyboards.

guitgator
03-04-2007, 08:01 PM
Rule #1......when it doubt....it's the "B" string.

Earthworm
03-04-2007, 08:24 PM
Wow. I think I'll just stick with good ol' slightly out of tune guitar.

yakuza
03-04-2007, 08:51 PM
Wow. I think I'll just stick with good ol' slightly out of tune guitar.

hah, I think most of us would. :cool:

03-04-2007, 09:23 PM
I don't understand the sweetened tunings.

I think it pretty much means some strings are set to be tuned slightly higher or lower so chords sound more in tune up and down the neck.

Zero Point
03-05-2007, 12:20 AM
Heheh, sweetened tunings are based on stretch or tempered tunings used on pianos and other multi-string instruments like harps. The idea of it is that the 12 tone system isn't perfect. So in order to get the harmonic 3rds to match up in the tuning when you play octaves together, they make them slightly sharp or flat from the even temper. When tuned into one of these stretched intonations, a guitar will match better to keyboards and pianos.

-Z

Earthworm
03-05-2007, 05:49 AM
I think I understand now. Thanks for the education.

sabby
03-05-2007, 10:17 AM
Rule #1......when it doubt....it's the "B" string.
And all these years I though I was tone deaf a the precise frequency of "B".

Moe45673
03-05-2007, 12:01 PM
Yup. For practical purposes:

When intonating: use EQU setting
When tuning regularly: GTR setting (the proverbial "Sweetened" setting)

Don't ask me how it works, but it takes into account the guitars natural flaws about never being able to be perfectly in tune and works with it, as opposed to the EQU setting which works "against" it (though still kicks the TU-2, IMO) :BEER