PDA

View Full Version : Compressor before OR after wah?

The Everlove
03-07-2007, 10:38 PM
I like the way that the compressor AFTER the wah can balance out the spikes in frequency sweeps... but I also like the tone that the guitar has when the compressor is BEFORE the wah. Just to let y'all know, the compressor in question is the Barber Tone Press.

I've been doing some research on the topic; I've tried both and have yet to come to a conclusion as to which one I prefer, and I'm one of those "set it and forget it" kind of guys. Which one do you choose and why?

Thanks! :munch

Janglin_Jack
03-08-2007, 03:40 AM
I like the way that the compressor AFTER the wah can balance out the spikes in frequency sweeps... but I also like the tone that the guitar has when the compressor is BEFORE the wah. Just to let y'all know, the compressor in question is the Barber Tone Press.

I've been doing some research on the topic; I've tried both and have yet to come to a conclusion as to which one I prefer, and I'm one of those "set it and forget it" kind of guys. Which one do you choose and why?

Thanks! :munch

+1 - But not always. :BEER

Gary Brennan
03-08-2007, 06:31 AM
Don't most wahs react better to just having the guitar as their input as opposed to a pedal?

gb

The Everlove
03-08-2007, 06:54 AM
thats the dilemma I suppose. Fuzz is supposed to go first. So is the compressor... hmm.

Teahead
03-08-2007, 07:02 AM
I always kept wah before comp, if only because the wah was on the floor and the comp first on the board. I also like the way the comp can smooth out the wah's peaks. I've always liked comp into fuzz rather than the other way around, so no trouble there.

Now I have VCF running into comp, but my dilemma concerns the order of an impending Octron2 with VCF & Comp. Comp must go before Octron, VCF must follow, but then VCF should be before the comp, that's a damn pickle.

Moe45673
03-08-2007, 10:20 AM
I tend to use my wah more as a weird volume pedal than a wah. Putting my Diamond Comp (definitely "set and forget") after the wah negates this ability so I put it pre-wah

nashvillesteve
03-08-2007, 12:46 PM
Envelope filters, fuzzes, wahs, compressors, buffers, boosts, they all seem to want to be at the front (except for delay)...

Jim S
03-08-2007, 12:54 PM
When doing clean wah, the compressor AFTER the wah smooths out the volume. No brainer for me.

When crunch or high gain I turn the compressor off after the wah.