PDA

View Full Version : Barber LTD SR into Tweed Amp?

Teletone65
03-28-2007, 11:50 AM
Has anyone tried this combination? Does the LTD SR take anything away from the tweed tone? I am coming up soon on the KOT list but this pedal interests me.
Thank You,
Vick

The Everlove
03-28-2007, 12:28 PM
I have not tried it with a tweed, but with a Classic 45 and a Hayseed 30. It can be set to be completely identical to a guitar plugged straight in. I did a few blindfold tests and was pretty amazed. If a flat EQ is what you are going for, this will do it very well. I can't imagine it would "take away" any of the tweed tone. Another guy did a pretty lengthy review here, do a search for it. Good luck!

cacibi
03-28-2007, 01:52 PM
I should be getting one any day to run into my '57 Twin. Expecting good things - but will keep you posted.

Dan-o
03-28-2007, 02:12 PM
Another guy did a pretty lengthy review here, do a search for it. Good luck!

Vic-Im that guy...lol..I encouraged ryan to buy one & he's diggin it...we both agree its a TAD on the bright side otherwise a great pedal...this was my review:

I own the Barber Ltd SR...ZERO coloration of your guitar or amp tone- thanks to trim pots in Unit...zero Mids...dead flat @ Noon...can get you a "smooth in shape / mild-gritty in character" type low-gain OD @ lower Volumes or will drive your amp into high gain territory with yer Volume set higher...rich harmonics & sustain...and I must emphasize...CLARITY...if you allready love your clean tone this is a Great Pedal @ a Great Price...no hesitation necessary...plus Dave Barber will let you send it back after a 48 hour trial...checkout the Barber website or call or e-mail Dave & BUY DIRECT...he just e-mailed me the other day to see if I was happy with mine...you cant beat that kind of service...

I am a tone snob- I play 6 different Danelectro's thru a 5-watt Class A tube amp into an Earcandy custom 1x12 Cab-I love tube saturation so I go with a low Watt amp so I can dimebag it, I love its sound on 10...this pedal will drive my amp as a Clean Boost @ low Volumes or you can dial in some low gain Overdrive...I am also a tone purist I like my Dano twang straight into my Amp & I like the natural Overdrive I get just turning the volume up...the Barber will replicate this purrrrfectly @ lower volumes & with more clarity without coloring any of my Class A "chime"....you can roll off the OD with your Volume knob & there IS NO midrange...if you wanna clip the Highs & add some Lows or vice versa thats the only "toneshaping" that will occur using the Tone knob...its a VERY subtle pedal & it will also give you sustain @ lower volumes without compressing your tone...

Also as mentioned previously you can drive your Amp into high Gain without it getting muddy...I love my tube amp tone but with the Volume ALL the way up it gets muddy & loses definition...with the SR you can turn it up 3/4 volume & use the LTD to drive it over the edge & keep a very articulate & clear tone at the same time...unreal Pedal...:Spank

Teletone65
03-28-2007, 02:29 PM
Fellows,
I appreciate the good feedback.
Thank You,
Vick

GTRJohnny
03-28-2007, 09:24 PM
I have sort of gone through the three little bears thing with the LTD series. I found the Black to have a bit too much mids for my tweeds, the SR not enough, and the Silver just right.

It is not a dramatic difference, though. So, with different guitars, effects, amps, that could change. The SR tone sweep is more dramatic, and there seems to be more lows available (adjustable with an internal trimpot) and a bit more gain.

I like flatter pedals, but I think you give up a certain warmth and roundness when you get too flat. The SR is approaching that for me. With that said, I would still have no problem getting a great sound out of it, or any of LTD series.

Teletone65
03-29-2007, 06:34 AM
Hey GTRJohnny,
I have a Tweed Super also. I have tried various pedals, not just OD's, but most pedals seem to rob something from the tweed sound. I am up on the KOT list soon. I was just wandering if the LTD SR would sound like my amp and not lose any of the tone. I appreciate your feedback.
Thank You,
Vick

jlagrassa
03-29-2007, 07:16 AM
I've tried the LTD SR into my 59 Bassman RI and thought it sounds great into that amp, just tweak the tone pot until you hear no difference in tone or you can add a little more low end or highs with just a small turn of the tone knob.

I use it into a Blues Junior with excellent results as well, great pedal if you need something with a flatter EQ...you can get a nice crunch tone as well with the gain cranked!

cacibi
03-29-2007, 10:46 PM
Just got back from practice. Got my LTD SR in the mail today and put it in front of my '57 Twin Amp. GREAT combination. The SR is very true to the tone of the amp and let's me get a great OD sound at lower volumes. Now it definitely sounds like it's own thing and not the amp overdrive - but I don't really think the pedal has been invented to match the overdrive of my Twin. I'm just convinced that you're never going to get a true tube breakup out of a gizmo - and that's fine. I just need something that sounds good - and the SR fits the bill.

GTRJohnny
03-30-2007, 12:31 AM
Hey GTRJohnny,
I have a Tweed Super also. I have tried various pedals, not just OD's, but most pedals seem to rob something from the tweed sound. I am up on the KOT list soon. I was just wandering if the LTD SR would sound like my amp and not lose any of the tone. I appreciate your feedback.
Thank You,
Vick

The LTD series is about as close as you can get to transparent with a big variety of amps (tweeds included). That said, my Super is tough to match up with pedals. Even though mine sounds great clean, it tends to boost or show things that I don't hear as much with other amps. I found I didn't like the SR as much through my Super, because it sounded a touch too flat. I also heard some of the "sizzle" in the upper mids more with the Super. And since I do a lot of pinch harmonics, it didn't work for me.

With my Deluxe, the SR sounded very good. I could still hear some of the same things, but they weren't really pronounced. And, some really cool hollow tones were there, as well. So, your mileage may vary with your amp or setup. I found that the SR didn't really take anything away from the tweed tone. Usually, overdrives add too much to the mids for tweeds, and the SR adds no mids to my ears. I was thinking this is what I wanted, but I ended up prefering the little (very little) mid hump of the plain Silver LTD. So, I am changing to the Silver. It was a tough call, but I think the Silver will get along better with all of my amps, especially since I now have an incredible BarbEQ to fine tune the mids, as needed.

Another great pedal to try with your tweed is a Keeley BD-2. It is not as neutral as the LTD, but it has its own bluesy character that matches up well (IMO) with a tweed. I prefer the Keeley for Blues and the LTD for lighter rock and more modern stuff. Not that one can't play all styles with either, but each gives me back something different. I hope this helps...

GTRJohnny
03-30-2007, 11:12 AM
I would like this! :) To add to my earlier post, I had a chance to try a PRS with my Super and SRLTD and it sounded good on most settings.

I think it's very hard for a designer to hit "middle" with the huge range of possible combinations. When I was a recording engineer, I used to wonder "what speakers can I listen through that will REALLY tell me what I'm listening to?" What is "flat"? I think it's the same thing here.

I can say that I heard a bit of a presence peak with the pedal, that I could not adjust out. But, was it because it was there, or because I look for guitars, amps, and other effects that also have this peak, and they were exagerating it?

Well, at least there are designers, like David, that are willing to "extend" their adjustments to help you find that perfect tone. Otherwise, it's a 10min "what the Hell?" test drive and it's up for sale... :)

GTRJohnny
03-30-2007, 11:40 AM
...the different spectrum of eq can trick players into thinking that they (different model LTDs) have contradistinct gain ranges...not so!

I'm not a recording engineer anymore.. Now, I just want a big knob labeled "perfect" so I can just turn it all the way up. On second thought, can this be made as a switch? No, no.. just wire it always on!! ;)

Teletone65
03-31-2007, 06:55 PM
Hey GTRJohnny,
I appreciate the feedback. I think I may try a silver LTD. I play a nocaster (non-vintage). Is there a phaser you recommend for the super that doesnt affect the tone and is transparent?
Thank You,
Vick

GTRJohnny
03-31-2007, 07:35 PM
Hey GTRJohnny,
I appreciate the feedback. I think I may try a silver LTD. I play a nocaster (non-vintage). Is there a phaser you recommend for the super that doesnt affect the tone and is transparent?
Thank You,
Vick

I bought a Tonefactor Nebula for that. It's cool. It has less bass, which makes it less "swimmy" than other options. On slower settings, it sounds like the Grateful Dead or Pink Floyd. On faster settings, it sounds very leslie-ish. It does not have an intensity setting, so it is what it is. But it's warm sounding, and smooth, without being too pulsing. A lot of folks have said the Retro-Sonic is more adjustable, but it has a thicker and heavier churn. I like my Nebula, but I do wish it had an intensity knob.

Teletone65
04-02-2007, 07:03 PM
I might try one of those too. I appreciate your help.
Thank You,
Vick

GTRJohnny
04-02-2007, 07:53 PM
It's like a trip to the 70s. There's a cool video on their site.

GuitarNorton
04-03-2007, 07:36 AM
With tweed amps the Clark/Barber Gainster is the best sounding pedal to my ears. Works well going into a clean amp getting your distortion from the pedal, Backing off the gain, level on the pedal with the amp on edge of break up or kicking on with low levels and the amp breaking up. Works with the Barb eq too.

Teletone65
04-03-2007, 08:27 AM
Hey GuitarNorton,
I had one of those before I got my Tweed Super. Do you think the amp will retain its tone without any loss?
Thank You,
Vick