PDA

View Full Version : Compressor pedals location in the signal chain?

HeeHaw
04-15-2007, 03:37 AM
I just traded for a CMATMODS compressor and I really like it. Where in the signal chain do you put your compressors? Before or after the OD pedals?

My pedalboard is really simple and here's the order I have it in at the moment. Does this sound correct to you guys?

SD pickup booster
compressor
sunface
FDII Mosfet
Choralflange.

g.griffith
04-15-2007, 06:03 AM
Placement is something I've been experimenting with recently. There's a fairly long thread on it somewhere around here... Anyway, I've been trying out the compressor after the ODs, that way I can roll off the guitar volume and clean up the ODs; that's a little more difficult if a compressor is before the ODs and not letting the volume drop as much.

Some fuzzes are also very picky and you would probably benefit putting the Sunface first; but I don't have any experience with a SD pickup booster, so I couldn't say for sure. You might want to play with the Sunface placement as well. Cheers!

HeeHaw
04-15-2007, 06:29 AM
The SD is a decent, low buck clean boost. I use it spairingly.

Moe45673
04-15-2007, 09:03 AM
for a clean boost, you'd be better off putting it after the compressor. And yeah, +1 to putting the fuzz first

HeeHaw
04-15-2007, 09:07 AM
Thanks guys!:BEER

Moe45673
04-15-2007, 12:01 PM
hey man, try it out and get back to us on the results.

What does the mosfet do? Is it a plain OD?

If you're looking for a volume boost and to stand out in the mix when playing leads, try putting the SDPB last

ed84246
04-15-2007, 12:21 PM
I tried putting my Diamond Compressor after my Hermida Grinder distortion and it rounded out the tone too much for me. Just my opinion, but I think compressor first is the way to go, more dynamics available.

mmcquain
04-15-2007, 01:09 PM
I tried putting my Diamond Compressor after my Hermida Grinder distortion and it rounded out the tone too much for me. Just my opinion, but I think compressor first is the way to go, more dynamics available.

I prefer my Dyna Comp before the overdrive and distortion pedals. Otherwise, you are compressing all of the harmonic overtones introduced with the overdrive. I just think they work best on a clean signal.

lifeinsong
04-15-2007, 01:54 PM
I think it sounds/works better before your OD's, but the best way is to try it in different places within your signal chain and see what sounds best to your own ears.

Wooley
04-15-2007, 02:17 PM
My compressors always come first. Aside from being a nice little signal booster I can kick on at any time, it also increases the definition of my notes going through modulation effects.

Aj_rocker
04-15-2007, 02:24 PM
I have a wah into my dyna comp set for a little lift, so i sound like michael thompson's clean sound. Just my way.

Aj

waxnsteel
04-15-2007, 02:29 PM
For the most part, I don't turn on the comp and OD pedals at the same time, so I don't worry anymore. I've tried before and after, and just don't like the combination all that much. I have mine first in line, and I have a boost after my ODs. Sometimes I do run the comp and boost at the same time. I like it that way for clean boost with sustain.

geetarman
04-15-2007, 03:22 PM
I like it both ways it really depends on what pedals you're using and how they're set-up.

big mike
04-15-2007, 06:38 PM
I usually use it last. I like it that way. Seems to smooth everything out cool.
Esp. if you stack OD's.

derek_32999
04-15-2007, 06:44 PM
After touch sensitive drives and before or after others. I like mine after cause most of my drives are "open and transparent". When I want that compressed drive sound I turn on the comp after the drive and have a whole new smoother pedal sound. :D

Uma Floresta
04-15-2007, 09:16 PM
Put it before drives, after wah. Compression is my favorite "boost." It really brings out a lot interesting tonalities from your guitar's pickups that you don't otherwise hear, and it can sound very juicy. My modified DOD 280 boosting my OLC Supreaux sounds very juicy indeed. Also, a compressor after your ODs will be more noisy, so there's another benefit of putting your comp pre-drive.

derek_32999
04-15-2007, 09:17 PM
Put it before drives, after wah. Compression is my favorite "boost." It really brings out a lot interesting tonalities from your guitar's pickups that you don't otherwise hear, and it can sound very juicy. My modified DOD 280 boosting my OLC Supreaux sounds very juicy indeed. Also, a compressor after your ODs will be more noisy, so there's another benefit of putting your comp pre-drive.

But doesn't putting it BEFORE your Supreaux make the supreaux MUCH less touch sensitive? Or do you set it with a very slight amount of compression.

HeeHaw
04-16-2007, 04:03 AM
Okay men, the Sunface does not like the comp, but it's a no brainer, not using both at the same time because I have no reason to in the first place. The choralflange works well nearly anywhere, so I'm going to leave it after the FDII. I ended up setting them on my board as follows:

Sunface
Compressor
FFDII mosfet
choralflange
SDPB

Now I need to find myself a wah, reverb and a good delay. Then I'll be finished........or not.:rotflmao

Uma Floresta
04-16-2007, 05:18 AM
But doesn't putting it BEFORE your Supreaux make the supreaux MUCH less touch sensitive? Or do you set it with a very slight amount of compression.

Yes, but any booster in front would also make it less touch sensitive (but without the same singing quality). I wouldn't use compression at unity gain in front of any overdrive pedal - that would kill the dynamics without adding much else. If I want the natural dynamic gain of the Supreaux, I keep the compressor off. If I want it to "sing" I add compression, with a hefty volume boost from said compressor. Usually my compression level is at about 10:00 or 11:00 (much more than that and it gets too noisy).

Otherwise, if I'm playing clean and I want compression, I generally keep the compressor at unity gain.

derek_32999
04-16-2007, 05:22 AM
Yes, but any booster in front would have the same effect. I wouldn't use compression at unity gain in front of any overdrive pedal - that would kill the dynamics without adding much else. If I want the natural dynamic gain of the Supreaux, I keep the compressor off. If I want it to "sing" I add compression, with a hefty volume boost from said compressor.

Cool, I will have to try that with my honeybee! A boost into my honey bee doesnt kill the dynamics though it just makes it higher on the gain spectrum. I can still clean up respectively the same. It just wont get CLEAN cause the beginning level of drive is so high.

Uma Floresta
04-16-2007, 07:59 AM
Cool, I will have to try that with my honeybee! A boost into my honey bee doesnt kill the dynamics though it just makes it higher on the gain spectrum. I can still clean up respectively the same. It just wont get CLEAN cause the beginning level of drive is so high.

Well, yes, you have a point, a simple clean boost DOES leave some dynamics, albeit within a more limited range. But, even with the the loss in dynamics, I really dig the compressor as a boost, for the sheer saturation.

B_of_H
04-16-2007, 08:52 AM
I just ordered an orange squeezer kit specifically to put after one of my OD's. From what i've read it's the right 'type' of comp pedal (more like a limiter than a 'squish') for the job.

My marshall ed-1 is early in the chain but it's more like a dyna comp type.

Uma Floresta
04-16-2007, 08:57 AM
I just ordered an orange squeezer kit specifically to put after one of my OD's. From what i've read it's the right 'type' of comp pedal (more like a limiter than a 'squish') for the job.

My marshall ed-1 is early in the chain but it's more like a dyna comp type.

Yeah, that makes sense. My comp is very squishy, but I can imagine a limiter working well post-gain.

My impression was that the orange squeezer is a "squishy" comp, though. ??

B_of_H
04-17-2007, 12:39 PM
Yeah, that makes sense. My comp is very squishy, but I can imagine a limiter working well post-gain.

My impression was that the orange squeezer is a "squishy" comp, though. ??

We'll see but I think some people have different ideas of what 'squish' is.

I've always thought a dynacomp was 'squishy' sounding, no dynamics and a huge change in tone. While Knophler has plenty of dynamics on 'sultans' and that was an original OSQ.

If a dynacomp isn't squishy then what do you call that sound?

If you are refferring to 'squish' as the ability to even out the volume of notes then yes, the osq is squishy.

malabarmusic
04-17-2007, 04:21 PM
Unless I'm after a square-wavey fuzz tone, it's comp after OD/distortion. I use a compressor to even out volume dynamics, not clipping dynamics. When the comp comes first, the ability to alter gain characteristics by varying pick attack goes out the window.

- DB

Uma Floresta
04-18-2007, 08:14 AM
I tried using the compressor in my multi-effects unit at the end of my chain ... I can see now how that can be a useful thing. I had tried that with my main analog compressor, and it didn't sound right, but with a mild, limiting-type compressor, it makes things more or less even without affecting your gain dynamics. Especially useful if you're kicking in a loud booster - it then just adds more distortion, but not much more volume.