PDA

View Full Version : Boss CE-5 vs CH-1

GibsonSGgirl
04-15-2007, 03:50 PM
I've got a CE-5 pedal that I like, but I'm wondering if there are any differences between this one and the CH-1? While I like it okay and it sounds good, I don't like how it's so quiet--I guess it's a 'soft' chorus because I can barely hear it unless I turn the knobs up almost all the way.

Are there any other chorus pedals that give a vintage vibe ie. Velvet Underground's 'Sweet Jane'? I'm looking for a sound like that and also a sound in Eric Johnson's "Forty Mile Town" song.

Stratophile
04-15-2007, 03:56 PM
I have a CE-5 and I don't have the same issue you're having.

Do you have an effects loop in your amp? I run mine through that.

as far as other Chorus pedals I can't say I can help you out too much there. I just don't use them that often.

GibsonSGgirl
04-15-2007, 03:58 PM
I don't think I have an effects loop in my amp. The only amp I use with any pedals is my '68 Deluxe Reverb.

GibsonSGgirl
04-15-2007, 09:03 PM
So...any diff b/w the 2?

Stratophile
04-15-2007, 09:09 PM
Well then no you don't have an effect loop. Hmmmmmmmmm. tough call. You might want to look at different Chorus pedals. The BIG difference is really in the EQ.

I think you get more control on the CE-5 because you have a seperate treble and bass frequency you can control.

Ch-1 you make it trebly or bass.

I'd GUESS that the CE-5 is better due to flexability. But you should sit done with teh CH-1 and let YOUR ears tell you what YOU think.

You also need to look at getting an amp with an effects loop! HAHAHAHA Just kidding!

GibsonSGgirl
04-15-2007, 11:06 PM
Well then no you don't have an effect loop. Hmmmmmmmmm. tough call. You might want to look at different Chorus pedals. The BIG difference is really in the EQ.

I think you get more control on the CE-5 because you have a seperate treble and bass frequency you can control.

Ch-1 you make it trebly or bass.

I'd GUESS that the CE-5 is better due to flexability. But you should sit done with teh CH-1 and let YOUR ears tell you what YOU think.

You also need to look at getting an amp with an effects loop! HAHAHAHA Just kidding!

Thanks for the help! I do have an amp with an effects loop--it's my Line6 one. Just don't know how to use it yet. :(

KillerV
04-16-2007, 12:54 PM
I'm not really an expert on these 2, but I own a CH-1. What I can tell you is that you can go more towards a vintagey rotary speaker kind of chorus with the CE-5, while the CH-1 is a more modern-sounding "Nothing Else Matters" type chorus. The CH-1 sounds a bit colder to my ears.

If I had to choose, I'd definitely go for the CE-5.

I don't know if this helps at all, but there you go...

MrMunky
04-16-2007, 02:35 PM
The CE-5 is Boss' modern compact version of their Chorus Ensemble pedals (CE-1, CE-2, CE-3, CE-5). Even though the pedal has evolved, they all have a certain kind of character in common. The CE-5 has a relatively narrow frequency response (with respect to the doubled sound, not your clean tone). It's a bit midrangy and tends to work well after overdrives and distortions.

The Ch-1 is much more of an all-purpose chorus. It is not as midrangey, and has a much broader frequency response (which can be controlled with a knob). It's a solid machine, but it's often criticized as having a somewhat generic tone.

Eric Johnson's Chorus tone comes sometimes from the Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man, and sometimes from the TC Electronic Stereo Chorus/Flanger run in stereo. I'm fairly confident that the TC is what you hear on "Forty Mile Town." The TC is an exceptional chorus, known for being exceptionally clean. It is not really very similar to either of the Boss choruses (though it does somewhat resemble the tone of the discontinued Boss Dimension C).

I would think that the CH-1 would be a bit closer to the TC than the CE-5, if you want to stick with Boss. If you're willing to spend a little bit more the Analogman Clone Chorus is cheaper than the TC, and captures it's clean-ness without being as brittle sounding.

1kidc
04-16-2007, 02:40 PM
I've used them both. Honestly, I prefer the MIJ Boss CE-2 to either of these - just a warmer, more analog sounding chorus. You can find a CE-2 used on ebay for about the same price of either of these....

MrMunky
04-16-2007, 02:57 PM
I've used them both. Honestly, I prefer the MIJ Boss CE-2 to either of these - just a warmer, more analog sounding chorus. You can find a CE-2 used on ebay for about the same price of either of these....

I'm a fan of this one as well. http://www.inrerocknroll.com/tunes/Chorus.mp3 :AOK

fredgarvin
04-16-2007, 05:04 PM
Also be sure the chorus is chained after your od pedals cuz that will suck out the effect otherwise. Your mention of low output brought that to mind.