PDA

View Full Version : "Best" P90?

Mowcheeba
04-18-2007, 01:38 AM
I know there cantīt be any best since we all have different taste and ears but what P90 do you recommend and why. Want to try new puckups in my PRS Soapbar SE and was thinking on Lollar, Fralin or maybe Jon Moore.
I have Fralins in my Strat and Hamel in my Tele and love them both but it would be nice to try another winder. Doesnīt have to be boutique winders.

radium
04-18-2007, 09:33 AM
Great tone, big money - Lollar

Good tone, not much money - GFS

PlexiBreath
04-18-2007, 09:35 AM
I have a standard Lollar P90 set and it has huge and cutting tone. These pickups surpassed my expectations, makes me want to try out his Strat pickups.

Voxy Foxy
04-18-2007, 09:37 AM
I have a standard Lollar P90 set and it has huge and cutting tone. These pickups surpassed my expectations, makes me want to try out his Strat pickups.

I'm just a fan of ALL SD antiquity pickups...try those out.

And PlexiBreath - That's a sweet name!:AOK

vorvick
04-18-2007, 09:48 AM
I know there canīt be any best since we all have different taste and ears but what P90 do you recommend and why...

What: Stephens Design Pickups
Why: Qaulity, plus extreme flexibility in "guarantee / warranty"
http://www.sdpickups.com/pricelist.shtml

Janglin_Jack
04-18-2007, 09:52 AM
Fralin's are great. I stopped looking after using the Gibsons. I think they sound fantastic. I used a variety of Gibson P90 guitars, and they all sounded excellent. I love my SG Classic.

Jack

RockStarNick
04-18-2007, 12:11 PM
Fralins give you more variety as to what output you want each position to be. To my ears they sound more authentically Gibson-esque, and that's likely due to their construction: they have the metal baseplate and screw spacer bar. Great authentic P90 grind with added sparkle that the gibson reissue P90s lack.

Lollars: He's got one matched set, so not much variety, but I think of these as the P90 perfected. He took away the baseplate and spacer bar. Many believe the theory is that less metal = less eddy currents = more high end sparkle. Agree or disagree with this theory, but side by side, the Lollars have a touch more high-end articulation and hi-fi ness. An amazing set of pickups. However, not my favorite in a hollowbody. Try then in a LP JR, and you'll be in tone heaven.

My basis for comparison is a newer Gibson P90 that came in a LP Lr, as well as a vintage set of Gibson P90s that came in my 1968 firebird.

Call me crazy, but I replaced the vintage ones. Mainly due to the noise, but also because with both being at 8K, it was damn near impossible to have them match up well in one guitar. Each on their own sounded good in it's respective position, but if you like to switch pickups often, forget it.

Dave Orban
04-18-2007, 12:26 PM
I like Lindy Fralin's underwound P90s best.

Lollars are a little too "hi fi" for my taste.

Mowcheeba
04-18-2007, 12:39 PM
Thanx for all the replies. As I expected a lot of you guys prefer Jason Lollarīs P90. SD pickups looks interesting as well.
I mostly play with just the neck pickup right now because it is the only position that sounds good. Both pickups on or the bridge pickup is just to weak and thin. Iīd like a set where all positions sounds good.
How are Seymours Antiquities?

Dave Orban
04-18-2007, 12:40 PM
Thanx for all the replies. As I expected a lot of you guys prefer Jason Lollarīs P90. SD pickups looks interesting as well.
I mostly play with just the neck pickup right now because it is the only position that sounds good. Both pickups on or the bridge pickup is just to weak and thin. Iīd like a set where all positions sounds good.
How are Seymours Antiquities?They're not bad at all.

I'd also look at Pete Biltoft's (www.vintagevibeguitars.com); muy mojo for not a lot of change...

soybean
04-18-2007, 12:56 PM
I like the DiMarzio Virtual P-90s a lot and put them in two guitars. No, they don't sound as good as Lollars or Fralins, but they are noise and hum free and do sound quite good. One cool feature is the double row of pole pieces for balancing your strings. There are a lot of subtle sound changes you can make depending on which screws you raise and which ones you lower.

majorledhead
04-18-2007, 01:06 PM
The (3) stock P90's in my Reverend Slingshot Custom are pretty impressive. Meaty but articulate and produce strat like qualities when used in conjunction with the bass rolloff circut thats on that guitar.

Trebor Renkluaf
04-18-2007, 02:31 PM
I LOVE the Lollar P90s in my Heritage H-137 second edition. Schweet!!!

justonwo
04-18-2007, 02:38 PM
Gibson has done right by me. I think their P90s sound super duper fantastic. :-)

the_Chris
04-18-2007, 07:45 PM
You know, I'm starting to realize there is no "best", only what's good for its intended purpose.

For an extremely balanced and tasty set, I am a huge fan of Lollars. I've had them in every P90 guitar I've ever owned and they're in my Collings 290 right as we speak.

With that said, I really liked the stock Gibson P90s I had in a custom shop LP Special DC I once owned. For raw rock and roll even with its slight imperfections (bridge and neck weren't perfectly balanced, neck could be muddy in some applications, etc.), the Gibsons worked really great and got an aggressive tone I don't recall my Lollars ever having. I used to have several different "boutique" humbuckers in a custom shop SG Custom I once had and realized I liked the stock Gibson Classic 57s the best. So, as with everything, you have some pros and cons. Depending on what you're looking for, sometimes things are best left alone.

rewog
04-18-2007, 07:51 PM
I think Lollar is one of the most knowledgeable guys in the business.
Unfortunately, he now only does a "one pickup fits all".
A pickup needs to suit the users taste and style, as well as the instrument it's fitted to in terms of materials and construction (i.e., woods, neck attachment, solid/hollow, etc).

So.... I'm also interested in finding someone who will build a P-90 to suit ME.
I came across this guy through his Ebay ad. Anyone had any experience ?

www.tonefordays.com (http://www.tonefordays.com)

vorvick
04-18-2007, 09:58 PM
So.... I'm also interested in finding someone who will build a P-90 to suit ME.

No experience w/tonefordays, but check stephens design, referenced earlier. Check the guarantee on his website. I have his P90's and a strat set. No flowery superlatives, I just like them. He's been featured in Vintage Guitar Magazine, and is all around good guy - good player too.

anxiousmofo
04-18-2007, 10:38 PM
Anyone who can compare the PRS soapbar pickups (the ones used on the US models) to those mentioned above? I have a McCarty Soapbar, but have never much experimented with P-90's and am interested in getting schooled.

I'm curious about the Budz P-90's, as well.

gitpicker
04-19-2007, 12:05 AM
+1 on the Gibsons. I think mine sound great! Some others I have heard want to take that nasty, biting tone and refine it a bit - I like the grunge. :dude

rewog
04-19-2007, 03:12 AM
Anyone who can compare the PRS soapbar pickups (the ones used on the US models) to those mentioned above? I have a McCarty Soapbar, but have never much experimented with P-90's and am interested in getting schooled.

I'm curious about the Budz P-90's, as well.

The PRS soapies are Seymour Duncans, usually SP90-1 Vintage Soapbars on the neck and SP90-3 Customs on the bridge I believe. Not sure what they use in the middle on the Custom 22 Soapbar - it's not on the website.
They're pretty nice and suit the PRS guitars well I think, but I'm hoping to get something better for my Custom 22.

drfrankencopter
04-19-2007, 08:49 AM
Which P90 would folks here suggest for a more open/brighter sound versus the stock Gibby P90's that I have on my 2006 CR4 VOS? I find the neck muddy, and the bridge has good grind, but maybe too focused...doesn't let enough of the voice of the guitar out.

Cheers

Kris

Traintrack
04-19-2007, 09:05 AM
Peter Florence Voodoo P-90's are the cats ass! I am sure that the others listed sound great.

The Gibson P-90's might sound good to you untill you replace them! You will see why they are not in the same class of killer tone as a Lollar or a Voodoo P-90.

Dave Orban
04-19-2007, 09:22 AM
Peter Florence Voodoo P-90's are the cats ass! I am sure that the others listed sound great.

The Gibson P-90's might sound good to you untill you replace them! You will see why they are not in the same class of killer tone as a Lollar or a Voodoo P-90.I actually prefer the Gibsons to the Lollars.

And this is coming from a guy who regularly gigs vintage P90s.

Haven't heard the Voodoos, but the Lollars I've played have kind of left me wondering what all the fuss was about.

Traintrack
04-19-2007, 09:45 AM
Dave,

You might have hit on a great set from Gibson. I know this happens now and then. I have an Historic LP Special that sounded much better with the Voodoo's.. I should not speak for the Lollar P-90's never hearing them before. I do have a set of Blk Strat P/U's from Lollar that are great though.

I love P-90's they are the sound of Rock and Roll.

catfoosh
01-05-2008, 07:21 PM
check out www.manliusguitar.com (http://www.manliusguitar.com)
mick will wind up any value you want, very good sounding pickups at very resonable prices

cugel
01-05-2008, 07:59 PM

ditto
waiting on a usacg with lollar blondes to be shoreline gold'ed

welcometoashley
01-05-2008, 09:37 PM
Great thread! I am currently considering switching out my SG's stock p90's with some lollars, but am kinda hesitant to do it because i'm worried about preferring the gibsons.

i've had mixed results with gibson's p-90s. my sg sounds pretty good but i owned a les paul jr that just had a killer, killer p-90...

for me, it'd be an expensive endeavor to switch out the pickups and find out they're not for me....

love hearing from everyone else's experience though...

XKnight
01-05-2008, 09:49 PM
How are Seymours Antiquities?

Have you tried adjusting the height of your bridge pup? I have a McCarty Soapbar with the stock SD pups and they don't sound weak or thin in any position to me, but alas we all have different ears.

asdf
01-08-2008, 04:27 PM
In the less money category I've been loving my Vintage Vibe P90s. Pete was extremely helpful in getting my order figured out and winding the pickups to my exact specs.

KennethC
01-08-2008, 05:18 PM
I vote Harmonic Design Z90's!