PDA

View Full Version : Electric Guitars with Piezo for Acoustic sounds?

Jarrett
04-25-2007, 01:16 PM
On my new gig, I get a lot of electric and acoustic requests. There is already a dedicated acoustic player in the band and I would just like to back him up occasionally. I was thinking about buying an electric that has the Piezo outs for doing acoustic occasionally. Do any of you use these types of setups with success?

I am only familiar with a couple of models of guitar that offer this. One option is the different Tom Anderson Piezo-based models and the other is the EBMM John Petrucci model. My other guitar is a strat, so I am interested in finding a double humbucking backup guitar and thought it would be nice if it Piezos on it as well. Any suggesstions? Thanks in advance.

Rock Johnson
04-25-2007, 01:22 PM
The Gibson Slash signature LP comes with one. It's a bit expensive for a backup, though.

lukeness
04-25-2007, 01:26 PM
There is a PRS Archtop w/piezo (if you can find one used, it'll cost you a pretty penny).

And a PRS Hollowbody w/piezo.

I'm in a similar situation as you though, and I just prefer to use an acoustic. It just sounds better. Then again, my acoustic guitar player uses a Breedlove, so my piezo equipped PRS just sounds like dung next to it. My Larrivee does the job well though.

DualRectifier
04-25-2007, 02:00 PM
It's true that there are few worthwhile guitars available with piezos, but the good new is that it's pretty easy to add a piezo to an existing guitar.

This board is extremely anti-piezo, so you'll probably get nothing but piezo-knocking responses here, but personally I am a big fan of piezos. They can sound great when properly set up, generally meaning an active preamp, properly eq'ed through an acoustic amp or direct to PA.

The LR Baggs T-bridge is a direct replacement for an LP tuneomatic bridge. There are several different styles of bridge you can get piezos for. Just be sure to get the "optional" onboard preamp.

I had an EBMM Axis Super Sport with piezo, and it was one of the best piezo setups I've ever played. Pretty much the same setup as the Petrucci.

dramaticrunner
04-25-2007, 02:02 PM
not humbucking, but maybe a used power tele?

gassed
04-25-2007, 02:02 PM
Both Fisman and L.R. Baggs offer tremelo bridges with piezo built in for any strat (vintage or modern) amongst others.I have one on a Godin Solidac which I like alot,its sounds best with a acoustic preamp/eq in front.The bridges from both are in the $200.00-$250.00 range I believe.Hope that this is helpful.

:BEER

wilder
04-25-2007, 02:18 PM
Hamer Duotone. Even the import model is pretty good for the price. Our guitar player uses one and the acoustic tones are very believable with DR Zebra strings. It has an onboard preamp, rosewood bridge, and spruce top to help with the acoustic sound. In electric mode it can cover LP type tones.

Chris

hammer995
04-25-2007, 02:21 PM
How about a Line 6 either 500,600,700. Great utility guitar...pretty good acoustic sounds to boot.

tone4days
04-25-2007, 02:54 PM
i am thrilled with my brian moore ... any of their "i" models with a "p" or a ".13" at the end has a piezo output .... you can get them for a song used .. perfect for a backup .. hell, my i88.13 is my #1 (after new pups, switching, and tuners)

CGrisamore
04-25-2007, 03:08 PM
I have a 2001 American Deluxe Power Telecaster which came with a factory installed Fishman Piezo rig. It's not bad but once I heard the acoustic sounds from the Line 6 Variax, it was no contest....the Variax acoustic sounds are much better.

r9player
04-25-2007, 03:23 PM
More and more systems available. I thought the BM P sounded quite good not sure what system they use.
Right now selling a guitar that uses Graphtech Ghost piezo, decent sounding but I liked the BM better.

Jarrett
04-25-2007, 03:37 PM
Thanks for all the input so far.

I'd like to have a good electric as well as acoustic sounds. Is the Line 6 stuff actually capable of good electric tones? Or is it the guitar equivalent of the Line 6 amps? Kinda almost there, but not quite?

kherman
04-25-2007, 04:00 PM
Parker Fly Deluxe.

Carvin Dc200 or 400 with piezo bridge.

Rock Johnson
04-25-2007, 04:15 PM
This board is extremely anti-piezo, so you'll probably get nothing but piezo-knocking responses here, but personally I am a big fan of piezos. They can sound great when properly set up, generally meaning an active preamp, properly eq'ed through an acoustic amp or direct to PA.

There's lots of usable, interesting tones to be had in blending piezo and magnetic outputs, as well. One of my favorite sounds on my Slash LP is the neck pup with the piezo on, but rolled back quite a bit. It gives you a bit extra sparkle. With the bridge pup on and the piezo cranked up higher, it gets way into tele-land.

DualRectifier
04-25-2007, 04:32 PM
More and more systems available. I thought the BM P sounded quite good not sure what system they use.
Right now selling a guitar that uses Graphtech Ghost piezo, decent sounding but I liked the BM better.

Brian Moores use RMC piezos (or did use, before they went out of business). They're not readily available aftermarket, and they don't have a very flexible switching setup. You can only biamp the piezo and mags with a stereo Y-cable, which I found annoying. Decent sound, but not worth the trouble for me.

Ernie Ball Music Mans use a Fishman Powerbridge, which is a killer sound, plus the best switching setup. Separate outputs, with stereo or mono options, along with blending. Perfect.

The LR Baggs with Ctrl-X preamp is the best sounding piezo I had, which was my Warrior Signature Isabella with T-bridge tuneomatic. That guitar was featured on several published albums and I promise you can't tell it's not a high end acoustic.

The Graphtech GHOST is the way to go if you have to replace only the saddles, and not the bridge. I don't like the look of the wires showing, though.

I agree that biamping the piezo with mags, along with blending, can give you many different sound options you don't have with just mags. Plus, it's a real crowd pleaser to play songs like Uncle Tom's Cabin, Crazy on You, Jack and Diane, etc., and play both acoustic and electric parts. I've had all of the above piezo systems, and I recommend any except for the RMC.

Troubleman
04-25-2007, 04:37 PM
I used to in an old band, and as we build a repetoir that calls for acoustic guitar, I'll start to do so again with my present band.
On one of my Strats I had installed a LR Baggs Bridge-X piezo bridge and a Control-X preamp. It runs off of a 9volt battery beneath the pickguard. I think I changed the battery twice a year, and I used the thing a lot. With it I used a high-quality stereo cable that I had made. A three-way mini-switch on the guitar allows magnetic pups/piezos/or both. The magnetic pups (Duncan Alnico Pro IIs) went to my pedal board, the other signal - the piezos went to a volume pedal made for acoustic guitar, then to a Joe Meek compressor, then to a Raven Labs PMB-II (with a touch of delay and chorus from an Alesis Quadraverb Plus in its loop), and finally to a small Ultrasound AG-30 amp that I use for a monitor. The direct out from that amp went to the PA. I used to own a Parker Fly; my piezo-equipped Strat sounded better. Actually, when I was gigging with it, with that rig it sounded better than the Ovation acoustic that the other guitar player in the band used.

jb

takakat
04-25-2007, 05:37 PM
I use Brian Moore C90P with built in RMC piezo and I really like the sound I never new so many songs I could use piezo sound and sounds better than magnetic pickups could. Bosanova, country, etc.. Even Stairway to Heaven:)
I like the versatility of multi sounds so I am getting RMC 13 pin installed at Brian Moore's custom shop so I can use guitar synthesizer also. I am very excited about able to play more than just electric guitar:RoCkIn

major-minor
04-25-2007, 11:13 PM
I've got Fishman powerbridges in almost all my guitars. LOVE the blended sound. Works well for the type of stuff our band plays.

I go through the Powerblend pedal ----which has been discontinued by Fishman.

One hint------be sure to run your "acoustic" sound to an acoustic amp. I'm using a Genz Benz, for example.

almcg2
04-26-2007, 02:23 AM
i have a parker which produces excellent acoustic sound, especially when run into an accoustic amp. i use a strawberry blonde.
i've played a taylor t5, almost bought it. very nice sound. excellent playability, fast neck.
now.... option 2.... an accoustics effects processor on your current ax. I have a korg pandora. it has an accoustic setting that i think sounds even better than piezo. cheapest alternative... try one. you will be suprised.

Pietro
04-26-2007, 06:21 AM
I will no longer use a guitar that DOESN'T have a two-voice feature.

I have two Godins with that feature, a Flat Five X and a Multiac Jazz. I can't say enough nice about them. They make a TON of instruments with two-voice and even three-voice setups and they are, imho, the best at this. (I sometimes run my Multiac Jazz electric, acoustic AND synth--I sound HUGE!)

I have a Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus which has both, but it is a true acoustic (even uses bronze strings) and it's electric sounds are VERY liimiting. It's the greatest guitar I've ever owned, but not built for your purpose I think (in case others recommend it here...). I use it when I want fantastic acoustic sounds with a dash of electric.

I put a Powerbridge in my US Masters and it sounds UNBELIEVABLY good. Best strat I've ever owned (I've had 'em all).

I've tried the Deluxe Power Tele and it's great, especially for the money, but I don't need it so I haven't bought one.

You might also look at the Michael Kelly guitars, can't remember the name of the model. They make a great two-voice import guitar. VERY tempting.

pipedwho
04-26-2007, 06:33 AM
I put a Graphtech Ghost piezo tune-o-matic bridge on my Schecter C1-Classic and it brings out of the guitar a very acoustic-like sound. Even though it's solid, it's similar to the sound of a piezo pickup in a semi-hollow guitar.

I must admit, though, that it has nothing on the 'play/sound' of my acoustic guitars. In comparison to a good acoustic, the electric has way too much sustain and less reverberant sparkle. It is a great sound, but great in a different way to that of a real acoustic.

Jarrett
04-26-2007, 07:23 AM
I tried the EBMM Petrucci last night and it didn't float my boat. It wasn't the acoustic side, but rather the electric side. The super hot humbuckers weren't really my thing. I'm looking into a Tom Anderson now. Thanks for all the input.

bickertfan
04-26-2007, 08:20 AM
Parker Nitefly user here. Pretty reasonably priced used, fantastice feeling and once you work the piezo's into your sound you will likely never go back. Mine does not have the neck hum but it is available I believe.

VTX-XTC
04-26-2007, 08:34 AM
I have a Godin LGXT with the LR Baggs piezo bridge and did have an XTSA with the RMC piezo bridge. I also have PRS EG that I installed the Graphtec Ghost system in and it's killer. Most current electric guitars can be outfitted with the Graphtech stuff by a competent luthier and the cost won't be extreme.

In a mix, with proper eq, they all can do a good job of providing "acoustic" sounds.

Here's some pics of the Godin LGXT and the PRS....

http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/data/500/4612LGXT_Palomino.jpg

http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/data/500/4612PRS_EG-1_Palomino.jpg

Mike9
04-26-2007, 08:39 AM
I have a Parker P44 for sale - two hand wound Manlius "Modern Classic" PAFs wired four contuctor for splitting and the Fishman Piezo trem. Mahogany body with maple/ebony neck - great guitar - more organic feeling and sounding than my Nitefly and if all you need is a backup the price is right. http://cgi.ebay.com/Customized-Parker-P44_W0QQitemZ200103674299QQihZ010QQcategoryZ2384QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://i4.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/9b/46/0249_12.JPG

major-minor
04-26-2007, 10:10 AM
Hey Mantra--------how are you blending yours? I didn't see the Fishman pedal on your board.

Anderson's are what got me hooked on this whole peizo thing. Just tremendous guitars. I don't see near as many new ones with Powerbridges anymore, since Fishman has dropped the Powerblend pedal. Wonder if he's still doing them?

Whiskeyrebel
04-26-2007, 11:18 AM
I have an Epiphone 5102TE (also know as EA250) which is an early 70s Japanese hollowbody with a floating bridge. I installed a Fishman Archtop pickup bridge and Baggs CTRL-X preamp on it. I tried swapping the bridge with an Allparts piezo tuneomatic so the Fishman could go on a Harmony acoustic, but swapped back because the Fishman made the Epi sound better. FWIW you could put the Fishman on any guitar with a floating bridge, and if you like you could leave it wired separately to the jack that comes with it.

_pete_
04-26-2007, 11:36 AM
I have a Schecter C-1 E/A. It has a Graph Tech Ghost piezo which sounds great. I run the piezo's to a dedicated acoustic amp. I did replace the Duncan Designed pups with a Duncan Custom 5 bridge and a Seth Lover neck though.
The black mini switch is a coil split that I added and the other mini toggle is a 3 way for Mag/Both/Piezo.
You can get these for around $600-$700 and they are a helluva nice guitar.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h247/pete2112/My%20Guitars/Schecter2a.jpg

c_mac
04-26-2007, 11:40 AM
I tried the EBMM Petrucci last night and it didn't float my boat. It wasn't the acoustic side, but rather the electric side. The super hot humbuckers weren't really my thing. I'm looking into a Tom Anderson now. Thanks for all the input.

I hate to state the obvious here but put new pickups in it. :NUTS

sinasl1
04-26-2007, 11:43 AM
I use a Fishman Powerbridge on one of my LP's. I have a push-pull knob on the bridge tone control that selects the piezo or electric pickups- they both output out the mono jack. then I use an a/b to go to my electric rig or to a d.i. for acoustic sounds. I can't blend, but it works great- sounds awesome.

DualRectifier
04-26-2007, 12:36 PM
I hate to state the obvious here but put new pickups in it. :NUTS

Music Man guitars are not really amenable to pickup changes. The custom DiMarzios are direct mounted, and have triangular mounting "ears". So if you want to put in new pickups, you have to grind off the ears, and have the exactly right height legs on those pickups. Plus the wiring's a bitch. At least it was on my Axis Super Sport. I toyed with the idea of taking out the Air Norton and Tone Zone, but none of my Duncans or Suhr pickups would fit. That sucker did have a great piezo system on it though. I think I used that and the split coil tones more than the humbucker tones.

Figher53
04-26-2007, 04:09 PM
I'm just surprised that the Taylor T5's haven't been mentioned. I've never tried one because I've got a PRS archtop w/ piezo for such situations and am perfectly satisfied with that. That's probably where I'd look first if I were looking for a hybrid that leans toward the acoustic side, though.

tmihm
05-11-2007, 12:21 PM
Hey Mantra--------how are you blending yours? I didn't see the Fishman pedal on your board.

Anderson's are what got me hooked on this whole peizo thing. Just tremendous guitars. I don't see near as many new ones with Powerbridges anymore, since Fishman has dropped the Powerblend pedal. Wonder if he's still doing them?
Tom only has a few left in stock, although Fishman is still making the powerbridge....just not the "Anderson" logo on it.

I have them in both of my Hollow Andy's, and I run through the Powerblend with piezo going into a small powered speaker as a monitor, and into the church PA......and my mag pups going into my Fender. I love 'em.

I just bought a Taylor though.....I may be bringing two guitars to church on Sunday. :D

mad dog
05-11-2007, 08:47 PM
My buddy Rich just picked up a Godin Montreal for just the purpose you describe. He's pleased with it, describes it as tonally versatile, shows a lot of promise for mixed jazz, acoustic and roots type gigs.

Yak
05-11-2007, 10:49 PM
Take a look at the new Ovation VXT as well.

PFCG
05-11-2007, 11:32 PM
sounds like you wanna be a parker guy, they are the best guitars. i suggest the mojo. best axe out there in my mind!

stillworkinonit
05-11-2007, 11:49 PM
On my new gig, I get a lot of electric and acoustic requests. There is already a dedicated acoustic player in the band and I would just like to back him up occasionally. I was thinking about buying an electric that has the Piezo outs for doing acoustic occasionally. Do any of you use these types of setups with success?

I am only familiar with a couple of models of guitar that offer this. One option is the different Tom Anderson Piezo-based models and the other is the EBMM John Petrucci model. My other guitar is a strat, so I am interested in finding a double humbucking backup guitar and thought it would be nice if it Piezos on it as well. Any suggesstions? Thanks in advance.

The Godin Montreal is exactly what you need!! Humbuckers, piezo, LR Baggs, it's the full meal deal.

Eric Pykala
05-12-2007, 06:56 AM
Man have I been through this one. Currently have a Musicman Silhouette Special, and the piezo sounds darn good through an acoustic amp, considering it's a solidbody. However, due to an old arm injury I physically cannot play a full-box acoustic, so I use my PRS Hollowbody II Artist Piezo. This guitar flat kills any other piezo system, even the ones in flattops. Pretty bold statement? Try it yourself, then you will buy one. Best dough I ever spent on a (expensive) guitar!-Eric

blueline
07-08-2007, 04:38 PM
Just stumbled onto this thread, anyway, I have several piezo/ electric guitars. Godin LGX and Taylor T5 are my favorites - I want a PRS archtop/ piezo. I also have a Petrucci, but I think the electric side is a bit muddy, but I love the play of the guitar. I would recomend the Rivera Sedona amp for an all in one when using the piezo/ electric guitars. This amp is amazing for this setup. When the channels are switched the tweeter is elemenated in the signal so you don't have an annoying buzz for overdriven leads or whatever. The DI is tube driven and sounds wonderful.

Karmateria
07-08-2007, 06:27 PM
I've had the chance to sample a lot of the "Hybrid" guitars including the VG Strat (which is interesting with all the tuning capabilities) and they all leave something to be desired.

The Hamer Duotone uses a kynar sensor bridge with a 3-band eq and has a very convincing acoustic sound. Its gretest strength is the electric tones... somewhere between a LP and a 335. Played like a dream and build quality is first rate.

The Godin sounded a bit strident to me, but some people like that "in your face" acoustic snap. The electric side was the biggest disappointment. It sounded too generic to me, that's the only way I can put it. Maybe new pups would fix that?

The Ovation VXT. Next contestant please.

Anderson. I was able to use a crowdster with a single humbucker on a gig and it played great. The acoustic side was a little brittle, but very usable. The electric part was great ripping tone, but not enough variety for me. If you play a strat, and can convince Anderson to put more pickups on one... it would be great. Right up with the Duotone.

Kelly Hybrid. Need to change out the pups and hardware, but the price is real attractive. Not in a league with the Anderson, Godin and Hamer but it's a fraction of the cost.

T5. What were they thinking? An "electric" for people who only have acoustics. I actually thought that the T5 had huge potential as a saxophone. Kidding aside, I think that the T5 might be something that a guy like David Torn could coax some insane new tones out of. As an experimental axe it can stand on its own, and the acoustic tones are great too. If you want an acoustic that turns into a classic rock electric at the turn of a knob, look elsewhere. PS... nice feedback too!

Parker Fly. If you can hang with the look, feel and sound of the electric (I couldn't) the acoustic side is pretty dang good. Bonus points for being super lightweight. If you want a LP that does acoustic, look elsewhere (like the slash).

PRS. Beautiful guitar, played excellent and very good build quality. Elecric tones were not what I wanted, and the acoustic side was OK but a little too 1980s piezo for my ears.

My conclusion was Anderson or Hamer, but I'm still undecided (and underfunded). I may end up with a VG Strat because of all the options.

Ascension
07-09-2007, 12:17 AM
Carvin Dc200 or 400 with piezo bridge.
+1 I have a 2002 DC 400 with the Fishman in my ( blocked ) Wilkerson and it works very well. You may have to use a ground lift though if you use an amp for the electric and then run the accoustic side direct.. Every time I do that I get a big time ground buzz until I run a lift.

DualRectifier
07-09-2007, 08:46 AM
I think that with the limited choices available, it's best to just add a piezo bridge and onboard preamp to your own favorite electric guitar. That way you know you'll get the electric mag sound you like, with the addition of an acoustic sound when you want.

You can add a piezo bridge to almost any guitar, including LP, PRS, Strat, Tele, etc. They sound best on string-thru bridges where the strings are anchored in the body wood, in my experience. They also sound much better on a hardtail bridge than a trem, but the tone can be passable on a trem.

tmihm
07-09-2007, 09:03 AM
They also sound much better on a hardtail bridge than a trem, but the tone can be passable on a trem.

I tried to find a piezo for my Kahler-equipped strat, but no-go on that deal. :hiP

My Andersons are great for an acoustic sound....particularly when I just use my right-hand fingers rather than a pick....but I have to get a better acoustic amp for at church. Since I bought a couple of Taylors, I've been starting to use those when needed while recording, but I don't like to drag more than one guitar out to my church gig.

DualRectifier
07-09-2007, 09:54 AM
I tried to find a piezo for my Kahler-equipped strat, but no-go on that deal. :hiP

Shadow made Kahler trem bridges with piezo saddles. Looking on their website, I don't see that it's still available, which makes sense since Kahlers haven't been around for a while.

You might be able to find an older one if you poked around the net for a while. Or contact Shadow and find out if they have any NOS sitting around.

http://www.shadow-electronics.com/start.html

tmihm
07-09-2007, 09:55 AM
Shadow made Kahler trem bridges with piezo saddles. Not sure if they're still around, but you could try to search for them. I imagine they'd sound like a bunch of ass, though, with all that metal and no wood contact.
Thanks for that. I used that Strat all the time, and when I started using piezo system, I thought "This should be great!", until people started gently reminding me of all the clanking and scrunching that would be going on.

I was actually going to use the piezo w/o whammying the bar, but after further thought, just bagged it. (I had tried LR Baggs, Fishman, and Kahler with no avail.

Probably better anyway....one less thing for me to whine about. :roll

tmihm
07-09-2007, 09:58 AM
Shadow made Kahler trem bridges with piezo saddles. Looking on their website, I don't see that it's still available, which makes sense since Kahlers haven't been around for a while.
http://www.shadow-electronics.com/start.html

Thanks again....maybe if I revisit the idea, I'll check on Shadow and see if they have any laying around.

And BTW....Kahler is (and has been for a little while)......'back'!

http://www.kahlerusa.com/

Meghan
07-09-2007, 12:56 PM
I have a Graphtech Ghost system in a hollow Warmoth VIP (PRS clone). I had a luthier set up the guitar & drill 6 holes for the individual bridge wires right underneath the bridge so they're not visible. Makes for a nice installation, although I have just a couple issues with the system.

First, if you prefer thin strings, I'd look for a different system. At least in my installation, 9s make it sound like a cheap piezo in a cheap Ovation-clone. 11s work MUCH better tonally, but it's never going to replace a Martin.

Second, I bought the mid-boost switch for the piezo. Not much difference between the boost & no boost tones, so if I were to build another one, I skip it.

Third, with the three-way mag-both-piezo switch set in the middle and going to a stereo amp setup, it seems to split the bass three string out with the mag pickups and the top three out the acoustic amp. (IIRC, as I haven't used the stereo acoustic rack amp in a while.) Was pretty irritating at first, but actually has now become a "feature". :) Maybe just my wiring job, but I'm pretty sure I got it wired according to the directions.

On the other hand, the system works, and the blend works well. Although I'm not good at playing slide, blending in the piezo gives a different tone & attack to slide playing.

robelinda2
07-09-2007, 03:31 PM
go EBMM! silhouette special, axis super sport etc. great piezo systems!

Brett Valentine
07-09-2007, 06:51 PM
Installed a Fishman PowerBridge in my Carvin DC 135T (passive volume control). Instead of that stereo jack, I just drilled a second hole for a separate jack (scary proposition without access to a drill press) and simply wired the ground from the jack to the common ground.

I will eventually order the Fishman Control Chip and a battery compartment from Carvin (comes with the diagram of the jig needed to route out the opening) when I purchase a good quality Dremel tool with the router jig.

Sounds really good through a Fishman LoudBox.

Brett

FUSER
07-09-2007, 06:54 PM
Super Versatile.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brian-Moore-IGuitar-9-13-Elec-Acou-Synth-Beautiful_W0QQitemZ280131596006QQihZ018QQcategoryZ 2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

dannymusic
07-16-2007, 01:57 PM
Ernie Ball/Music Man has the coolest piezo systems/preamps in alot of different flavors of guitars. There is a style for everyone.

I'm VERY partial to my PETRUCCI. Not only best piezo system, but best floating (non-locking) bridge EVER. sucka never goes outta tune.

Piezo just KILLS! And, like many stated, I will never be without a dual voice guitar (okay, I won't mod my '59 JPjr)...but everything else.

Lizard King
11-24-2007, 06:12 PM
I have a 15 year old Tele Acoustic/Electric with acoustic bidge & pizo + neck pickup.

Also have a Micheal Kelly hybrid special.

MK is a MUCH better acoustic sound than the tele. (And I'm a Fender man - MK being my first non-Fender ever.....well other than my Martin J-18.)

royd
11-24-2007, 08:59 PM
how did I miss this thread before...

one should check out the Carvin AE185 - dual humbuckers with a real acoustic bridge and under-the-saddle piezo. I had one for a while and never bonded with it. I think I wanted a real acoustic and a real electric in one and it really was a hybrid no matter how you set it up. Still, I find myself thinking that maybe I shouldn't have sold it.

tone4days
11-24-2007, 09:03 PM
i just got a dtar mama bear ... really cool little box for around 3 bills ... makes a difference in livening up the sometimes somewhat hollow/thinnish sounding rmc piezo's on my brian moore i88.13 .. i use a stereo cable to separate the duncans frlom the RMC ... there are 2 outputs from the mama bear - one goes to my carvin ag100D acoustic amp for onstage monitoring and the other is a low-z DI to the FOH