PDA

View Full Version : Red or Yellow Fasel Inductor

Jrw8214
04-25-2007, 02:01 PM
Hey Guys,
Im looking to get one of the wah upgrade kits for my Vox, from Baja Tech Custom.
I was wondering if anyone could tell me the difference tonewise between the Red and Yellow inductors?
I have a red one in a Crybaby Classic and i'd like to know how the Yellow one sounds compared to it. And which one sounds more vintage?

Thanks,
Jacob

drolling
04-25-2007, 02:33 PM
I ordered both for my '80s Dunlop Crybaby and went w/the red one.

When they say 'vintage' in that blurb about the Fasels, I don't think they mean vintage Crybaby, because the yellow inductor made the wah sound a bit like a Colorsound pedal I bought way back in '69.

A very 'vowelly', almost 'pukey' tone, with hints of ring modulation - almost sounded like the sweep was backwards; ''hhaaw'' instead of ''wahh''..

Anyway, my tech & I laughed & laughed after playing with it for a few minutes - Then we stuck the red one right back in!

Some players install a switch to toggle back & forth between two different inductors- but I like to keep it simple..

BTW, there's a lot more to that 'classic/vintage' sound than just the inductor. Most of the stuff on the circuit board would have to be swapped out to make a dramatic difference, so I ended up giving the Crybaby away & buying a Teese Picture wah..

Jrw8214
04-25-2007, 03:29 PM
I figured they made each board according to the inductor i request. So i assume the board i order for my wah will have the correct components. To clarify, i am looking for the vintage vox/thomas crybaby sound.

localmotion411
04-25-2007, 03:29 PM
I have a Crybaby 535Q that I got in a hurry from guitar center two weeks ago; the kiddies that worked there couldn't find the box so I took it without it. It is a brand new pedal, so I'm thinking that it does have the Fasel inductor in it, but does anyone know how to tell? Do I need to take it apart to see, and if I do, what exactly am I looking for?

Thanks

Jrw8214
04-25-2007, 09:51 PM
Yea just take the bottom panel off and look inside. It should be pretty easy to spot. it'll be round, about the size of a small coin like a penny. And it'll either be red or yellow. If it ISNT the fasel inductor, and its just Dunlop's standard one, it should be black.

mtlin
04-25-2007, 10:34 PM
Red

moodog
04-27-2007, 04:41 PM
I prefer the yellow over the reds. I'm not sure what drolling is talking about when he says it sounds like a Colorsound wah. The yellows sound a little darker and have a little more bite, grit, and bass than the reds. The reds are clearer by comparison. They have more highs but less bass than the yellows.

"A very 'vowelly', almost 'pukey' tone, with hints of ring modulation - almost sounded like the sweep was backwards; ''hhaaw'' instead of ''wahh''.."

I've never heard this sound from the yellows. It sounds like he might need his wah repair...

:rotflmao

drolling
04-27-2007, 04:49 PM
I prefer the yellow over the reds. I'm not sure what drolling is talking about when he says it sounds like a Colorsound wah. The yellows sound a little darker and have a little more bite, grit, and bass than the reds. The reds are clearer by comparison. They have more highs but less bass than the yellows.

"A very 'vowelly', almost 'pukey' tone, with hints of ring modulation - almost sounded like the sweep was backwards; ''hhaaw'' instead of ''wahh''.."

I've never heard this sound from the yellows. It sounds like he might need his wah repair...

:rotflmaoSorry, no.. We soldered in the yellow, played a bit, then replaced it w/the red.. Very different sound. The wah itself was an old Dunlop Crybaby. Not a great sounding pedal, but practically indestructable, as there's very little in there to begin with.

In case it wasn't clear - I was suggesting that the red Fasel is the preferred choice for a vintage Crybaby sound. Have you ever actually heard one of those old Colorsound wahs, BTW:moon :p?

moodog
04-27-2007, 09:54 PM
In case it wasn't clear - I was suggesting that the red Fasel is the preferred choice for a vintage Crybaby sound. Have you ever actually heard one of those old Colorsound wahs, BTW:moon :p?

Absolutely, they [Colorsound wahs, inductor and inductorless] sound very cool in their own right. But to say the yellow fasel sounds like the way you describe is like way, way off. They both (yellow and red fasels) sound very close. If you took someone who knows nothing about guitars or gear for that matter they would not even be able to tell the difference between the two if blindfolded.

Like I said the yellow is a bit gritty, more bass (not mud), and a little more bite. The red is more clean with clearer highs. When you say "the red Fasel is the preferred choice for a vintage Crybaby sound". What vintage Crybaby version do you speak of?
Here is the best description of the two that I've heard:
The red fasel is like Hi-Fi and the yellow is like Lo-Fi. If you want it to sound "Old School" go with the yellow. If you want it crisp and clean go with the red. (I prefer the old school vibe, it's a Jimi thang for me...)
Then rock out!

:RoCkIn

eyesonly
05-14-2009, 12:11 AM
If you want it to sound "Old School" go with the yellow. If you want it crisp and clean go with the red. (I prefer the old school vibe, it's a Jimi thang for me...)

:agree+1 for yellow

When these reissue inductors came out it was quite clearly stated that the yellow is the vintaged toned one and the red is modern.

monkmiles
11-04-2009, 08:55 AM
Bumping an old thread...

Looking for more opinions on the differences between the red and yellow fasal inductors. I might get one to put in a Crybaby.

neville5000
11-04-2009, 09:05 AM
+2 for yellow. Red is like Shaft. No offense to the fumkmeisters out there. :JAM

Tone-Control
11-04-2009, 10:20 AM
I put a yellow fasel in my old late 90's Dunlop crybaby and the wah is much improved IMO. I also bumped up the 'vocal' mod resistor a touch and this thing has the hendrix vibe going. I like it better than my Budda now, just need to true bypass it. I vote yellow.

aziltz
11-04-2009, 11:55 AM
I really dig the yellow. I recommend it on all wah mods I do.

monkmiles
11-04-2009, 07:29 PM
Anyone ever compare these current production Fasels with the Whipple inductor?