PDA

View Full Version : Allen Encore Kit

lochry
04-26-2007, 04:24 PM
I finally pulled the trigger on an Allen Encore Kit :D based on the excellent reputation of the amp on this board, my discussions with David Allen, and good bang-for-buck ratios. I'm going with the 40 watt output tranny and the 2x10 ragin cajun config.

I would really appreciate a "heads up" on any info prior Encore or Allen builders think would be helpful -- tube substitutions, speaker configs, capacitor type, lead dress, etc. I've repaired and rebuilt a pile of amps over the years, but this is my first scratch build and hope you can save me from some newbie mistakes.

For those interested in new developments with the Encore, David is in the process of replacing the chrome plated chassis with a stainless steel, black face version (like the Accomplice). He still has a few of the chrome ones left. The tube layout for the new chassis, which is what I ordered, is slightly different from the chrome version.

Thanks for the input.

pula58
04-26-2007, 05:56 PM
I have considered that amp...let me know how it goes for you!

P.

lochry
04-27-2007, 08:48 AM
Will do.

A feature that sold me on the Encore is its combination of blackface architecture (long tailed pair, etc.) with brownface tremolo (bias driven). For me, that's the best of both worlds. David has a reputation as a good communicator, and so far has lived up to it.

Phil M
04-27-2007, 08:53 AM
I own an Old Flame (David built it, I didn't). The Encore has some similarities but has the added tremolo which has intriqued me. Also, an Encore player once told me that he preferred the overdriven tone of the Encore to the Old Flame; he said the Encore was more pleasant, so that's good for you.

The only thing I've ever heard is that you might want the bigger transformer for your Encore. Ask David about that.

lochry
04-27-2007, 09:00 AM
After discussing what I was after sound wise, David recommended I go with the 40 watt output transformer instead of the stock 35 watt. I think it's a $8 to $10 upcharge.

By the way, David turned 50 in April and dropped $50 off the price of the kit (a nod to age and wisdom, I guess).

phatster
04-29-2007, 08:06 AM
That Allen Encore will definitely get you some fine clean my bro!!!Getting the bigger tranny is a must.I'm curious what tubes Mr Allen recommends?Did you ever try the Black Pearl??? I hear thats a tone machine as well!:D

lochry
04-29-2007, 10:12 PM
Hey P -- good to hear from you.

I believe all the preamp tubes in the Encore are 12ax7s. I'll hope someone here will share their experience with substitutes -- especially the PI and reverb tubes. The amp can be rebiased for 6v6s, but I'll stay with the 6L6.

The kit ships with the reissue Tung-sols. The reissue 12ax7 is very good. I use it in some of my other amps. I haven't tried the reissue power tubes yet.

Yeah -- I have some love for the Black Pearl. Very versatile amp -- built like a tank. Good value all around.

AshlandBump
04-29-2007, 10:57 PM
David is in the process of replacing the chrome plated chassis with a stainless steel, black face version (like the Accomplice).

Does that mean that the face plate will also be black face? Hopefully it does, I much prefer the way the Accomplice's black face plate to the Encore's chrome face.

Good luck with the build -- I have less experience with amps than you do but the Encore kit is the next amp I'll buy.

lochry
04-30-2007, 06:01 PM
Yeah -- just got an email from David Allen. The face plate is a separate blackface plate as on the Accomplice. He had to update the instructions to cover this. I'll let you know how it comes out.

tommytomcat
05-01-2007, 09:54 AM
I put an Old Flame kit together for my first amp project 7-8 years ago. If you follow the instructions you shouldn't have any problems. The instructions are VERY detailed and there's a very well drawn picture of the insides. Make it look like the pic and you'll have a quiet great sounding amp for a lifetime. My OF fired up and worked the first time.

SarasotaSlim
05-01-2007, 10:12 AM
Will do.

A feature that sold me on the Encore is its combination of blackface architecture (long tailed pair, etc.) with brownface tremolo (bias driven). For me, that's the best of both worlds. David has a reputation as a good communicator, and so far has lived up to it.

It is the perfect gigging amp. I've owned and gigged with Fenders big and small old and new and really wanted a new Fendery amp with the Encore features. So like you I bought one (David built it) but mine is the first 1x12. I quickly found that the 35 watt output transformer was not enough for me and my tired old alnico Altec 417 so I changed it to the 40 watt output. The Tungsol 5881's were OK but one blew when Lucky Peterson bared down on it for too long and that gave me the excuse to put some 6L6's in it which also helped. The first thing I changed was the 12AX7 PI over to a 12AT7 and that tamed it down to more of a typical Fender sound. If you like a lot of hair on it that's fine but it seemed that no matter how lightly I played I couldn't get a clean tone so keep that tube change in mind if you want to clean it up. Mine is white with oxblood grill.

mprvise
05-01-2007, 12:31 PM
Not much to add here, except to say the Encore is a wonderful amp! Mine's got the 35W tranny and Copperhead speakers, and was built by David. Very nice Vibrolux style tone, and just the right amount of breakup at stage volume. Love it!

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m50/mprvise/ALLEN1.jpg

lochry
05-01-2007, 01:43 PM
Thank you for the heads up on the PI. I'll keep that in mind.

David sent new chassis shots showing some very minor changes in the layout for the new stainless steel chassis. The new chassis drops the extra tube opening and a few extraneous holes. The preamp tubes appear to be a bit farther away from the power tubes. David also moved the star grounding bolt for the preamp section closer to the first preamp tube which is isolated about one inch behind the input jack. I really like this approach -- Sunn and Ray Massie did the same thing. Nice way to avoid amplifying noise from other components.

The lead dressing is very straightforward. Very few long wire runs. The tag board is large making it easly to separate each stage of the circuit -- very easy for trouble shooting. This is looking a lot easier than I anticipated.

Start burning my fingers this weekend.

EL34
05-01-2007, 07:52 PM
Man, that Encore kit is very tempting. I almost pulled the trigger on one last year. That new black faceplate is the icing on the cake. I need one of these kits!

phatster
05-02-2007, 08:34 PM
"I GOT BLISTERS ON MY FINGERS"....be cool bro..............:hiP

lochry
05-02-2007, 10:34 PM
Hi bro -- I'm going to post updates on my Encore build experience in case you are interested in trying it yourself.

The chassis kit arrived today (the cabinet will follow in a few weeks). First impressions -- everything packed with care, well orgainzed, and top quality. The written materials are excellent. They include a (1) schematic, (2) two carefully labeled color coded diagrams showing where everying goes (including details like how long wire leads should be), (3) 39 pages of clear, detailed, step-by-step build instructions, (4) a detailed parts list, and (5) detailed operating instructions addressing biasing, etc.

David recommends making an initial inventory of the parts using the parts list. I did this and found it very helpful. I am now familiar with all the component values and have identified and set aside unique parts for easy location later. Every part was present and accounted for with the exception of three 220K 1/2 watt carbon resistors (the kit had 3, but the schematic and parts list call for 6). Fortunately, I have at least a dozen 220Ks laying around from previous repairs, so I'm good.

The components in the signal path have been selected for good tone. Carbon film resistors and Mallory Caps are used exclusively here. The non-signal components are selected for precision and durability -- e.g., higher wattage metal film resistors. The parts are high quality without exception.

I didn't plan to get started tonight, but couldn't resist after seeing that the first dozen pages of instructions involve no soldering -- just simple assembly of the chassis. It took me about 90 minutes to attach the front and back face plates, install all the jacks, pots & knobs, switches, fuse & pilot light, tube sockets, and chassis grommets. After I install the transformers I'll be ready to start building the tag board.

The instructions contains frequent "heads up" for potential problems and suggestions on how to avoid them. This is knowledge I will use on other projects.

So far, the Encore build experience rates a solid A.

jbylake
05-02-2007, 10:55 PM
Another David Allen concoction. I found out that David lives 15 minutes drive from my house. I had a Bassman Head, that had been hacked to death over the years. Called him up, and told him I was close by, and would he consider doing a complete makeover for me. He's really not into that now, he spends most of his time with his kits and his own line of amps, but told me to bring it over. I told him to have at it, what I would like, and so on. What I got back was way over the top. Channel 1 is now "voiced" to sound somewhat like a Marshall. Channel 2 is one of the roundest, fattest, wicked Bassman's I've ever heard. Every component is top notch, he even replaced all the chrome. Best thing is "Channel 3"...he built 1 & 2 in phase, and I can patch them together for a third channel, blending them together. Totally unique sounds, but I've barely had a chance to scratch the surface on this "3rd" channel....this is what I got back:
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s238/jbylake/IMG_0179.jpg

using it with a 2X12 Cab with Tone Tubby's. Running in stereo with my Blues De' Ville at times. David Allen is one of the most truly talented amp builders that I've come accross. This thing has to be heard to be believed. Sceptical? Try one. Oh, no master volume, so this one wears a THD Hotplate most of the time. Not neighbor, wife, girlfriend or dog friendly at all. Sounds best cranked to at least 3...4 to 6 is outrageous..Thanks David Allen.

:BluesBros j.

allynmey
05-02-2007, 11:29 PM
I've bought some trannys from Dave and talked to him at length about amps. He is a great guy to do business with.:AOK

Allynmey

Phineas
05-03-2007, 10:10 AM
you guys got me thinking encore. i've been a BF vibrolux fan for years and love them with alnicos. Think marc ribot's tone if you ever heard him.

Do you guys think the encore can get me there at least 85-90% provided i soup it up w. alnicos? If i can get the BF VBR tone close enough and still have all the extra perks that the encore has then i'm going for it.

There's always a SF modded to BF spec option - how's this compare (not considering resale value at all).

googoobaby
05-03-2007, 11:06 AM
Thanks for posting your ongoing experience. I greatly appreciate it.

jpervin
05-03-2007, 11:29 AM
I've bought some trannys from Dave and talked to him at length about amps. He is a great guy to do business with.:AOK

Allynmey

+1

I also bought some of his transformers and amp parts. Not only is he a great guy to do business with, I learned a lot about amps just through emails and phone conversations with him.

LarryN
05-03-2007, 11:39 AM
you guys got me thinking encore. i've been a BF vibrolux fan for years and love them with alnicos. Think marc ribot's tone if you ever heard him.

Do you guys think the encore can get me there at least 85-90% provided i soup it up w. alnicos? If i can get the BF VBR tone close enough and still have all the extra perks that the encore has then i'm going for it.

There's always a SF modded to BF spec option - how's this compare (not considering resale value at all).

Phineas, which alnicos do you like, Super Reverb types or? I have an Encore chassis and board that's pretty far along, also. I picked up a Deluxe Reverb cab, which it fits into, except for a little chassis lip overhang in the back, which I'll trim. After having two children, the project is at a crawl, but I'm still very excited about it. I was going to use Deluxe Reverb trannies in mine for a 6V6 amp, but since then, I've acquired a '75 silverface, so I'll put the 6L6 trannies in it now. I'm glad to hear that there's a lot of satisfaction with this amp. I know Kenny Blue Ray really liked his Old Flame, though I'm not up on his current setup.

Also, Phineas, blackfacing a silverface hasn't always been very satisfying to me, because some of the mojo in the blackface circuit has to do with wiring layout. Kenny Blue Ray says his Old Flame sounds better than any BF he's owned.

mprvise
05-03-2007, 11:40 AM

When I bought my Encore I was looking to purchase a SF Vibrolux like the one I had about 10 years ago - awesome amp! Went with the Encore and very glad I did. 85-90%? I'll say hell yeah, and probably more!

Phineas
05-03-2007, 11:58 AM
yes good to hear guys.

I'm not sure about which alnico. i've dug the sounds of some eminence alnicos in fender amps eg. Eminence Legend 1228K model with a Kapton voice coil but that's a 12". I'm looking for the best alnico in 10" that will voice the BF cleans well but when will have a smooth break up when pushed. eminence red fangs get some good hype but not sure if they're coming out a 10" model.

I've got a weber blue pup too but looking for something a lil smoother.

LarryN
05-03-2007, 03:23 PM
yes good to hear guys.

I'm not sure about which alnico. i've dug the sounds of some eminence alnicos in fender amps eg. Eminence Legend 1228K model with a Kapton voice coil but that's a 12". I'm looking for the best alnico in 10" that will voice the BF cleans well but when will have a smooth break up when pushed. eminence red fangs get some good hype but not sure if they're coming out a 10" model.

I've got a weber blue pup too but looking for something a lil smoother.

Yeah, the medium light blue alnicos with no labels that came in many Fenders in the 90's, sound pretty smooth to me and are available on ebay from time to time. The only alnico 10's that take a little push without flubbing out in my experience , are the CTS Super Reverb speaker. Have you ever tried the Jensen P10Q reissue? Maybe too spikey for you. I haven't tried them, though.

phatster
05-03-2007, 04:35 PM
This is very interesting thread for those of us who aspire to create tone heaven.Thanks bro.....the Encore seems like it will satisfy us Fender freaks!!

Trowerfan
05-03-2007, 05:22 PM
I own an Encore 2x10 with copperhead speakers. Killer amp! built by David. A friend of mine played through it and said it was the best amp he ever played through. I have all Tung-Sol Ri's in it. I'd like to try the NOS 6V6's I have to see if I would like that tone better. This amp has more volume than I need. The amp has a great volume control. Unlike other amps that go from not loud to too loud, this amp has a great taper and is able to sound great at low volumes. The RAW control is a nice to, put it around 2 and it fattens up single coils nicely. I only have a minor gripe with it, the reverb doesn't sound as "deep" as the Fender's I owned. Don't get me wrong, it has plenty of verb but it's just different. ...and yes I do realize it's an Allen and not a Fender. Good luck with the build and congrats on a great amp!

pula58
05-03-2007, 06:15 PM
Does Allen use AX7's in the reverb driver position? Maybe try an AT7 there instead.

Also, maybe if you have a medium length three spring reverb you could try a long two spring tank. I think David Allen is selling some new Ruby reverb tanks - why don't ya ask him about them?

Good luck!

Paul

Phil M
05-03-2007, 06:26 PM
Does Allen use AX7's in the reverb driver position? Maybe try an AT7 there instead.

Also, maybe if you have a medium length three spring reverb you could try a long two spring tank. I think David Allen is selling some new Ruby reverb tanks - why don't ya ask him about them?

Good luck!

Paul

My Old Flame calls for AT7 in two of the positions (I know one is the reverb driver).

Trowerfan
05-03-2007, 07:00 PM

Good luck!

Paul

Yes, he started using all 12AX7's throughout after a certain date. Not sure which socket would be for the reverb driver. It's wierd, there is no tube where V1 would be, just a plastic cap to fill the hole. However there is a tube that is all the way (closest to the baffle) which I'm guessing is V1? Does anyone have a chart which shows what tube does what?
Thanks!

lochry
05-03-2007, 10:26 PM
Spent another fun evening working on the Encore kit. Please excuse my crappy photos, but they will give you some idea of how this thing goes together. As noted in my previous post, I assembled the chassis last night. The real fun began tonight. Tomorrow -- wiring the tube sockets and pots -- will be a bit more tedious as there are at least 65 leads to connect.

Thanks to everyone who has suggested speaker and tube substitutions. I can't wait to fire this thing up.

Safety Note -- listening to John Stewart while soldering NOT recommended.

CHAPTER ONE -- The Chassis (90 minutes)

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q207/lochry/chassisencore1.jpg
Front Panel

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q207/lochry/chassisencore2.jpg
Back Panel & Transformers -- this is the 40 watt OT (Choke goes in later).

CHAPTER TWO -- Build & Install Tag Board (5 hours)

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q207/lochry/chassisencore3.jpg

calieng
05-03-2007, 11:18 PM
Yes, he started using all 12AX7's throughout after a certain date. Not sure which socket would be for the reverb driver. It's wierd, there is no tube where V1 would be, just a plastic cap to fill the hole. However there is a tube that is all the way (closest to the baffle) which I'm guessing is V1? Does anyone have a chart which shows what tube does what?
Thanks!

V1 is as close as possible to the input jack to minimize the lead length and reduce noise in the amp. The Encore chassis that I built had a spare preamp tube socket not used in the standard circuit. You can add two extra gain stages or use it for a buffered effects loop etc.

lochry
05-05-2007, 07:31 AM
CHAPTER 3 -- Wiring Tube Sockets and Rear Panel (4 hours)

I'm beginning to understand why handwired tube amps cost so damn much. Trimming, dressing, and soldering flying leads gets pretty tedious after 20+ repetitions. Next step -- wire the pots.

Hey Phatster -- H and I are headed up to The NJ (sorry, "NY") Amp Show today. (Good woman -- told her to pack a book and ear plugs). I'll let you know if I see any big iron to your taste. Careful with the high voltage, bro.

lochry
05-05-2007, 02:35 PM
NY Amp Show

Just returned from the show and thought I'd share some impressions for people who couldn't make it.

Highlights: Hearing a panel featuring Andy Fuchs, Paul Rivera, Bruce Egnater, Peter Stroud, and Mike Ross. Meeting Mike Matthews. Seeing some old friends. The organizer, Loni Specter, did a great job of maintaining control and keeping the corporate hype machine at bay.

Comments: The concept of the show is great. Saw a ton of great amps (probably about 40 makers) and talked to some dedicated designers. The venue was OK -- basically took the wing of a hotel and put makers into separate rooms. Unfortunately, once 30+ amps get cranked, you get a noise level that makes it pretty much next to impossible to hear the subtleties of an amp or a player. (By the time I left it was beginning to sound like the after-school cacophony of a supersized Guitar Center.) So -- this did not turn out to be an opportunity to narrow the field and pick out THE amp I am hearing in my head.

Standouts: For my own ear and preference, two amps stood out from the others. The Sommatone Roaring 20 combo and the tiny TopHat Club Royale. There were dozens of great amps.

What I Learned:
Beware of Chinese-manufactured tube amps. Apparently several major amp lines use the same assembly facility so you are basically paying for different circuits made from very sketchy components.
The gear on stage with your favorite artist is about as relevant to what you hear as the decals on a Nascar racecar are to its speed. Fuchs had a great story about K.W. Sheppard appearing on stage with a pile of fender and vox amps. He went backstage to say, "Hey man, I thought you were still using my gear." Kenny walks him over to a rack with four Fuchs heads in it and says, 'Yeah, played the whole show throught 'em." Guess you gotta pay for placement if you want the spotlight.
Fender under CBS was worse than I had heard. Rivera told some great stories about what happens when a music company is led by the accounting department. Rivera is hillarious -- I'd like to toss back some beers with him sometime.
Don't buy untested tubes. These guys buy in bulk and the failure/noise rate is much higher than I thought -- from 5 to 40 percent depending on the batch. It is worth a little extra cash to buy them tested.
Consensus on new tubes appeared to be Tung-sol for 12ax7s and 6l6s, JJs for 6v6. TADs also got a nod for 6l6s. Dougstubes is a good source for tubes.
Modeling amps -- still not enough dynamic range to be of interest. Rivera did a nice job discussing the technical obstacles to a really useful live modeling amp. Stround discussed his experience -- OK to record, not usable live. Most of they guys hoped modeling amps would bait young players to looking for the real thing.
Tube technology in general -- one of the guys borrowed a great metaphor about the problem with the current recording and playback platforms -- ProTools and IPods. It is like breaking an egg and putting it back together. From a distance, looks like a perfect egg. Get close, and you see the cracks. The panel shared a general concern that recent generations have become so accustomed to digitized sound that appreciation for tubes is disappearing. I'll be putting on some vinyl grooves tonight.
Although many jokes were made at their expense, we can thank doctors and lawyers for giving some of these small builders the financial wherewithall to make great amps for real musicians. Respect.Suggestions: It would be great to line up 20 amps in the seminar hall and have someone like Peter Stroud play a few bars through each one with discussion about what distinguished one amp or circuit from another. I guess that could be pretty hairy for the builders, but what great opportunity for the rest of us. I'd pay double for that event.

Hope the show was a success. Kudos to Loni Specter. Would like to see it return next year.

mprvise
05-05-2007, 05:01 PM
Odd place to post it, but thanks very much for the report! Agree about the Top Hat Club Royale - I have one and love it! Was there a consensus on new EL84's?

Sounds like the Encore build is going well. :cool: Using mine on a gig tonight. :BEER

lochry
05-05-2007, 08:21 PM
Good point on EL34s. No one discussed EL34s or EL84s. Curious.

CHAPTER FOUR -- Wiring Pots and Power Circuit (5 hours)

This was a lot more interesting then the tube sockets. Interesting to see how some of the earlier instructions begin to pull together. Got to say that, by following David's instructions, drawings, and chassis shots, this thing looks damn good. Hardest thing by far was getting the power cord and strain relief plug through the little hole in the back.

Tomorrow, I wire the heaters (yuck), do the final checklist, and fire it up.

tfunster
05-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Good luck--hope it works!!! I'm considering doing one of these Allen Kits myself. I can solder pretty well and can follow directions, but I don't know jack about schematics or voltages and capacitance etc... Do you think I could still build one??

lochry
05-06-2007, 06:19 AM
CHAPTER FIVE -- The Heaters (90 minutes) and The Verdict

The heater wires and final checkout went faster than I imagined. I ran out of the recommended "brown" wire, but had plenty of wire of the same guage left to finish it off in other colors.

David's final checklist is very, very thorough. Check continuities, check value, etc., etc.

Now -- put in tubes, turn on AC power . . . check heaters. All OK!

Next -- turn on DC (Standby) with no speaker load (don't worry, the jacks are shorted, but David wisely advises to never again run without a load) no guitar, and pots to zero to check bias. Huh. Can't get both 6L6s within the recommended range. Time to troubleshoot . . . is it the circuit or the tubes? David's checklist suggest I swap tube positions. Done . . . it's the tubes. Not properly matched. Well . . . lesser of evils, that's OK.

Finally . . . attach speaker and Guitar. VERY QUIET -- turn up the V and MV . . . oh yeah! Turn up the tone pots --- W0W! Check tremolo -- just what I was looking for. Can't check reverb until I get the pan.

The final verdict will have to wait until I burn it in (I like to give new caps and components at least 40 hours) and have tweaked for a few days.

Would I recommend these kits for first timers? Yes -- Even if you don't have a lot of knowledge and experience, you can build this kit if you are patient and pay attention to detail.

Total time to build was an easy 16 hours -- not a bad investment to save over $600 bucks!
No bad parts (just had to come up with the three missing 220K resistors).
Everything fit and worked just as promised.Overall -- an incredible value. I'll have impressions of the amp's performance in a few days.

twangbanger
05-06-2007, 07:20 AM
Been thinkin about this amp on a suggestion from another TGP member. Was saying how I'd like to build a Vibrolux clone,he recommended the Oncore,then I read this thread. Oh well,there goes another $1000. plus dollars:jo

phatster
05-06-2007, 07:49 AM
Congratulations on the Completion! Now I got to get busy and find something else for you to do!:horse Your experience with the guitar show was well documented and we pay homage{ohmage?} to you .:rotflmao There has been quite a buzz about that Encore,be sure to keep us updated as you have.Thanks. OT...Saw JET last nite and they rocked the house with Hiwatt...talk about LOUD!! Great show.

Trowerfan
05-06-2007, 08:27 AM
[Quote]Can't check reverb until I get the pan.
------------------------------------------------
Let me know what you think about the reverb. What type pan are you putting in? I have to see what's in mine. I played a SFDR last night and the verb was so much better (to my ear) than my Encore. It's the only thing I don't like about it and the DR I played last night just reminded how much of a different reverb tone there is. ...and miss.

I also noticed something cool the other night. With the Raw control between 1-2 on the dial it made my Boss DD3 sound a lot warmer.

lochry
05-06-2007, 09:30 AM
Hey Phatster -- Here are your photos. Notice that the pilot light is on.:AOK

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q207/lochry/chassis5.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q207/lochry/chassis6.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q207/lochry/chassis4.jpg

:nono No more bozo no nos for you, my bro.

phatster
05-06-2007, 03:53 PM
:RoCkIn If you would just make-up your mind about how that amp will hang...will you go with the upsidedown look!:jo THATS A NICE PIECE O IRON IN THAT THAR THANG BRO.Did you see the Swart 30 watt head by chance?! Gettin good press but @ 2700 it should!We are expecting some tonal verbage at some point.

phatster
05-07-2007, 08:09 PM
Bump for more updates!!!:BluesBros

Phineas
05-07-2007, 08:47 PM
I've heard issues that the reverb on these amps aren't very 'fender' like. is there an easy fix?

lochry
05-08-2007, 11:20 AM
REVERB -- I'm waiting for the cabinet and the tank. I'll post my impressions after I install the chassis. The schematic calls for a 12ax7 driver, but I will experiment. My brother was a Super Reverb which is the benchmark I'll use once I get a chance to A/B them. I've found that reverb tanks can be very idiosyncratic. I borrowed a Traynor YGM3 with the most beautiful reverb I had ever heard and sought one out for myself. Unfortunately, it was not the same. I looked at both amps and I tried to nail down every variable -- tubes, caps, cables. When I switched the reverb tanks, I got the sound I was looking for. The tanks came from the same manufacturer, were same model, roughly same age, but sounded very differentl As a result, I don't trust my first impression of a reverb unit until I try a second tank.

TONE -- The amp is still on my bench burning in. I replaced the stock GZ34 rectifier with a 5U4GB for more managable volume while it is on my bench. I'm running it into a 12/10 cab with one Celestion Blue and a Jensen alnico 10. Gotta say the hype about this amp is true. Amazing clean sound. Harmonics just embrace you. Incredibly fast response (even with the 5U4GB). I'm using single coil guitars (strats, teles & ASATs). The bias driven tremolo sets this amp apart from the blackface fenders. More about the RAW knob below.

PEDALS -- I've experimented with a few pedals. The amp is very sensitive so, compared to other amps, pedals sound very exaggerated. As a result, I'm keeping it simple. I'm loving it through my Retro-Sonic compressor, which allows me to toggle between immediate recovery and a softer recovery a-la the dynacomp. I put a Plosive treble booster in front of it and it sounded a little sterile until I cranked up the RAW control to about 3. I couldn't believe the sound. Cranking up a Strat (neck pickup) from 6 to 8 to 10 gave me, respectively, Rory Gallagher, SRV, and a super meaty crunch. The amp has 10 knobs (two for reverb) so it will keep me busy for some time to come.

SERVICE -- David Allen has been great to work with. I told him about the tube mismatch and he offered me a new set on the spot. He asked me for feedback on the instructions as he continues to refine them to help others build the kit right the first time. David will take care of you.

Phineas
05-08-2007, 12:22 PM
lochry - thanks for your reviews. can't wait to hear about the reverb too!

BTW- which jensen alnico do you have? I'm on the hunt for a vibrolux w. alnicos and an encore sounds like it will do just fine, hence why i'm here on this thread. how's the jensen compare the the blue? Any other good suggestions for 10" alnicos? I'm sort of new to the sound of these to be honest.

lochry
05-08-2007, 01:41 PM
Hi Phineas --

The Jensen is one of the Itallian reissues I picked up used on Ebay. I know . . . they get a lot of grief on this board, but it sounds great paired with the Blue. I tried out several more "credible" speakers in the cab, including the Weber Blue Pup, but the Jensen ended up giving me the attack and balance I was looking for -- a nice edge without overshadowing the beauty of the Blue. (Caveat -- this is a low power pairing. A few months ago I pushed these speakers over the limit with a very clean 50 Watt Sound City head. They didn't fry, but the Jensen got ugly.)

My Encore Cab is coming with a pair of Rajin Cajuns 10s. I have not tried that particular speaker before. I'm hoping they will really project. I'd be curious if anyone has experience with the Cajuns, or has mixed the Cajun with another 10. When in a complemetary balance, I really like a mixed cab.

Phineas
05-08-2007, 03:34 PM
lochry-

you know, i'm glad to hear you were able to find satisfaction with the jensens. if it works then great! so you're getting an extension cab and you're only making a head? i guess i didn't realize that from the beginning. that's been my dillema - do i go for a combo (if so which one) or do i get the head and mix and match with diff cabs?

Do you think Allen would sell a cab or a combo without speakers loaded? i'm not sure if i want ceramic speakers for this. would love to hear a report on the rajin cajuns vs. the copperheads.

lochry
05-08-2007, 03:42 PM
Naw -- I went with the combo. It will be a few weeks before the cabinet arrives. Right now I have a bare chassis on my bench and I'm running through an extension cab for testing. I thought about a separate head, but the combo works for me.

One of the great things about dealing with a small maker is that "custom" does not mean "cost" for them. If you want the amp in a combo cab with no speakers, I can't imagine why he would not agree to it. He sell emminence speakers, so I assume he just pops them in once the cab maker delivers the cab.

I just checked his web site and he is selling empty fender cabs (like a 2x10 Super Reverb replacement).

derek_32999
05-08-2007, 11:01 PM
I am getting an Encore fri or saturday!

phatster
05-09-2007, 04:38 PM
You da man..thanks for sharing Lochry!:cool:

phatster
05-10-2007, 09:14 PM
Come on with those sound reviews bro!!!:D

lochry
05-11-2007, 11:38 PM
OK Phatster -- I just got in and see you are impatient. The Encore is still on my bench and I've been playing it every chance I get. This is definitely a "less-is-more" amp. Indeed, I'm chucking my big board and scaling down to the briefcase board shown below.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q207/lochry/chassistest.jpg

This amp loves strats. I'm running the amp clean 90% of the time -- sweet and very responsive to the volume changes on my guitar. For crunch, I'm kicking in the Plosive treble booster into the compressor set for fast recovery so the attack stays sharp with good sustain. The AD-900 adds a bit of ambience. I am hoping the onboard reverb will cover that territory once I receive the cabinet and reverb tank. The tremolo is outstanding.

I put the GZ34 back in to up the wattage and sharpen the attack. I also replaced the first preamp tube with a nice Mullard with lower gain which took off the spikey edge at higher volumes.

I continue to experiment with the Raw control which I initially assumed worked as a simple negative feedback control. The impact is much more radical. Small adjustments to this control really open up the harmonic range of the amp. I'm finding the first third of the range to be very useful.

The master volume, which I didn't think I would use, is actually very good, especially when used to balance the changes imposed by the Raw control. Heard "Honky Tonk Women" on the radio last night and tried to dial it in KR's tone by reducing the master and pushing up the Raw. After a little twidling, and using the Plosive/Compressor combination, I nailed that great tone featured on the intro and first verse.

I'll update you when I get the cabinet and can check out the reverb.

derek_32999
05-12-2007, 12:07 AM
I got my Encore in today and must say WOW. Not to derail the thread or anything, but this amp totally delivers on what I expected to be a killer amp. Of course this is just an initial impression, but the BFSR may be on its way out the door. I don't mind dialing the RAW slam to the top with the master on 7-8 hit it with a mild booster I was actually just using a fishnchips set to mild mid boost and slight treb cut and was getting some fairly decent ZZtop tones with the bridge pickup of my tele. Dial the RAW down to 2-3 keep master wide open and volume on 6-7 was one hell of a gritty rhythm tone dig in for slight leads, and step on booster for sic lead work. The tremolo is a God send. Just wow!! I would love to try this sucker through a 4x10. :Devil

Trowerfan
05-12-2007, 07:25 AM
David emailed me and suggested the new Ruby tank for a bigger sounding reverb. I opened my Encore last night and noticed it had a 3 spring medium delay tank. So just a heads up if the verb isn't what your looking for, you might wanna try the Ruby tank. I'll let you (Encore owners) know how that sounds when I get it.

lochry
05-13-2007, 08:36 AM
I got my Encore in today and must say WOW.

Derek -- I'm still waiting on my cabinet and wondered what speakers you are using. Mine is coming with a pair of Rajin Cajuns, but I'm interested in mixing if I can still dial in a chimey clean when I need it. Let us know what works for you.

:BEER

If there are other Allen Encore owners out there, please share your speaker recommendations.

derek_32999
05-13-2007, 05:50 PM
I actually ordered some stuff to try in my Encore last night.

2 copperheads
2 Legend 105

I am running Ragin Cajuns right now and they are VERY full IMO on the bottom and the mids aren't QUITE the way I like them when using the RAW control. Too much upper mid content and I am trying to get either more even mids or lower mid to get that Tweedy sound out of the RAW dial. I think the Legends will be the ticket, but I wanted to try the copperheads too since everyone says how good they are. I also want to try 1 ragin cajun and 1 Legend. IMO if you play mostly clean then the Cajuns are the ticket cause they have a huge tone and the upper mids help with clean to cut thorugh IMO.

I also ordered a RUBY reverb 2 springer cause my Super Reverb tank totally thwarts the allen if you like anything above a subtle reverb. I actually like the Allens reverb better for subtle stuff, but for the comprimise I would much rather have a 2 spring capable of subtle to surfy. The allen IMO isn't useable above 2 on the reverb dial. However about 1 3/4 is one hell of a sound and is perfect for most of what I play. I just want the Allen to be my #1 so versatility is a must.

I also ordered some 6v6 and a different rectifier tube to see what the RAW turned up sounds like with these tubes. I like it a LOT as is but if it can get better why not fiddle around with it. I am a HUGE tweaker anyways.

Lastly I odered a 12 At7 Reverb tube to try with the current 3 spring and incoming 2 spring reverb to see which I like best.

Hell, I have to have something to fill my time cause since I got the allen I haven't been obsessing as much over my pedals. :BluesBros

phatster
05-13-2007, 09:06 PM
Hey Lochry! Did my eyes deceive me,Rory Gallagher tones!!!!If this is true then......must resist the GAS........:drool

lochry
05-13-2007, 10:37 PM
Wow, Derek! You are checking out all the variables I've been mulling over. I will be very intereted to hear what you find out. Please let me know how the 6V6s, the speaker variations, and the Ruby tank work out.

I dug out my crusty script Dyna-Comp compressor tonight to see if I could get some classic Nashville out of the amp. The script D-C is more subtle than the bug-squashing MXR reissue and sweeter (although less versatile and a bit noisier) than the Retro-sonic and other boutique clones. The D-C needs a sensitive amp to shine and the Encore made it shine on rhythm work and twangy riffs.

Hey Phat -- Next time I head west I'll make sure you get to play the Encore for yourself. Meanwhile, hope you are enjoying that Rory wax I got you.

derek_32999
05-13-2007, 11:02 PM
I dug out my crusty script Dyna-Comp compressor tonight to see if I could get some classic Nashville out of the amp. The script D-C is more subtle than the bug-squashing MXR reissue and sweeter (although less versatile and a bit noisier) than the Retro-sonic and other boutique clones. The D-C needs a sensitive amp to shine and the Encore made it shine on rhythm work and twangy riffs.

I agree about the old dnya comp. www.Cmatmods.com (http://www.Cmatmods.com) used to make a clone that was EXACTLY like the old one. Not too expensive either. I liked it better than both bicomps I have had and only recently sold it cause I got a barber tone press. The Tone Press is more versatile but I dont know if I will keep IT or get another CMATmods dyna clone.

derek_32999
05-14-2007, 06:06 PM
I gotta say I realized something about these ragin Cajuns today. They are VERY sensitive speakers. I adjusted my pickups a tad in my tele by lowering the bass sides a bit and BAM!! Tone was amazing. The hard sounding slightly overwhelming bass was gone and the tone was sweeter without being boomy throughout the whole spectrum.

I also lowered the TONE of the reverb to around 1 - 2 and it makes the reverb SO much more useful. I can turn the reverb up to 5 and get a nice large room type reverb that sounds like DAnny Gatton's live tones I have heard. SCHAWEET! If I had done this yesterday I would NOT have ordered new speakers/reverb. My tweaker inside just got the better of me I guess and I wasn't looking at the simpler side of things. That said with this setup and a delay I could easily do most gigs I can think of wanting to do. What a great and versatile amp.

I am still gonna switch the speakers to see which ones break up better in a tweed style breakup with the RAW turned up pretty good. And since I ordered the other tank I will switch it to see how I like it, but I honestly like the Allen's amp reverb better than my super right now. It just won't do surfy reverb thats about it. I will update later.

lochry
05-14-2007, 08:46 PM
I'll be getting my allen wrenches out tonight.

derek_32999
05-16-2007, 08:37 AM
Ok, some results.

Phase inverter tube change from 12ax7 to 12at7. I REALLY like this tone for higher headroom. I can now turn the amp up to 6.5 and it is still pretty clean, whereas before it broke up around 4.5-5. I think I might try a value inbetween a 12Ax7 and 12aT7 like a 5751 for the phase inverter for just a touch less headroom.

I also changed the reverb driver tube from 12ax7 to 12at7. Again a nice improvement. The reverb isn't so sensitive on the lower areas of the reverb knob now and I can dial in different shades if needed. I might get a 12 Ay7 for the reverb just to play with some different values.

Tried a 2 spring tank from Ruby and I am not really diggin it as much as the stock tank. I LOVE the base sound of it, but it just lingers on and on it seems. Maybe a DWELL control would solve this?

It would be sweet to have access to both types 2 and 3 spring tanks. The 2 is GREAT for old style country,blues, and surf and the 3 spring sounds better for jazz and ambient backing rhythm and bluesy jazz.

I am gonna mess around with this a little more, but so far
The Encore is proving to be my favorite traditional sounding BFVR I have heard. Straight up fender!

Trowerfan
05-16-2007, 03:43 PM
Derek, Would you say the Ruby tank sounds "deeper"? I ordered one from David on Monday. I hoping to get that big deep sound like Ronnie Earl gets with his Super Reverbs, if you ever listened to some of his older stuff esp.

I also like to play Surf and Rockabilly. Does this tank deliver regarding Surf tones? Thanks in advance!

mprvise
05-16-2007, 05:40 PM
I'm gonna say hell yes on surf tones - I think you will be quite pleased. I now own 10 tube amps. Of those, four see very regular gig duty and the Allen is one of them. I used it last weekend on a gig and got numerous compliments on the tone from other players, and one guy specifically mentioned the reverb. Mine's all stock with the 35W tranny and Copperhead speakers (2X10).

derek_32999
05-16-2007, 05:55 PM
I would say yes IF you can get it to behave. I may have gotten a bad reverb or might just need to put in a dwell control cause it sounds like my reverb is still getting hit pretty hard even with the 12AT7. The reverb gets hit then just echoes on the 2 spring. I can definately hear classic surf tones in there, it just lasts too long. The 3 spring is very nice too, it just inst quite enough depth to the tone to get the classic sounds I am looking for. I will probably just get another reverb if the dwell mod doesn't do what I want. :BEER

mad dog
05-16-2007, 07:25 PM
I've been using the 3 spring medium dwell tank in my modded RI outboard tank (got it from David Allen), also have one of those in the 3 knob reverb built into the Clark Tyger. To my ears, much preferable to the 2 spring long delay. Had that in the outboard reverb, way too much. In some Fender combos -- the VR and SR come to mind -- that 2 spring long tank seems to work really well, best of all with the 12AT7 driving it. If I were to get the Encore (which I'm seriously thinking about), I'd go with the 3 spring medium, hope for the best. Takes a while to get used to the difference, but I find it much more lush and interesting sounding the more I use it.

I'd also go with Copperheads, which impress the hell out of my in SFVRs. That is a perfect speaker for an amp like the Encore.

derek_32999
05-17-2007, 08:37 AM
Actually, as far as speakers I tried the Legends, Copperheads and Ragin Cajuns and without speaker breakin I have to say the Ragin Cajuns are where its at. I didn't like them at first cause they were a bit thick in the bottoms, but noticed I had the bass side of my pickups as high as the treb side. This works good in my BFSR, but with the Ragin Cajuns I was able to lower the bass a tad more than the treb and got a killer full woody sound. Like Danny Gattons jazzier tones. It also broke up smoother than the Copperheads.

The Copperheads were VERY nice and sounded more like a STOCK BFVR I hear on albums. I like this sound too like Roy Buchanan but Roys sounded a bit woodier like there was a tad more mids at the bottom end and the way the speaker broke up was a bit harsher and a little more compressed. I imagine after it breaks in it would be killer. I liked the copperhead/cajun combo, but REALLY just like the way the cajun breaks up better. Keep in mind the cajun was more of a broke in speaker, but even on Eminence's site they say the Cajun is supposed to break up smoother.

The Legend 105's were actually my least favorite out of the bunch but still they sounded nice. They only thing I didn't like is they were fairly brighter than the others and with my Joe Barden pickups they just dont match. They were also more of a harsh breakup sound when cranked than the Cajuns or Copperheads. They were about a tad more compressed sounding than the other speakers as well. Still a great sound though. Just not for me. I liked the Legend/ Cajun combo cause the Cajun has fuller lows and the Legend has more highs so it works out.

This is just IMO and maybe it will help someone out. :BluesBros

derek_32999
05-17-2007, 08:42 AM
I've been using the 3 spring medium dwell tank in my modded RI outboard tank (got it from David Allen), also have one of those in the 3 knob reverb built into the Clark Tyger. To my ears, much preferable to the 2 spring long delay. Had that in the outboard reverb, way too much. In some Fender combos -- the VR and SR come to mind -- that 2 spring long tank seems to work really well, best of all with the 12AT7 driving it.

What I dont understand is I have tried the 12AT7 with the 2 spring reverb and it DIDNT work well in my allen. It MAY have been the tank, but it had a very long lasting verb much longer than my BFSR. Does your outboarrd tank have a tone,dwell,and verb control? If so, what does the dwell do to the length of the verb?

RedLizard
05-17-2007, 09:51 AM
Derek,

Good to see your enjoying the amp and doing some experimenting with various speakers, tubes, reverbs, etc... Cool to see what changes they make.

Sounds like the ideal amp would have 3 footswitches to help tailor it to the type of music you're playing. First would be to choose between the 2 and 3 spring onboard reverb tanks. Second would be to choose from among three speaker cabs - one with RC's, one with CH's and one with a combination. The third would somehow let you choose between 12AX7's and 12AT7's.

Of course this would soon lead to a fourth to choose between 6L6's and 6V6's and auto rebias. Now THAT would be an amp. :rotflmao

BTW, you need to update your signature.

Cheers, Scott

derek_32999
05-17-2007, 01:14 PM
Derek,

Good to see your enjoying the amp and doing some experimenting with various speakers, tubes, reverbs, etc... Cool to see what changes they make.

Sounds like the ideal amp would have 3 footswitches to help tailor it to the type of music you're playing. First would be to choose between the 2 and 3 spring onboard reverb tanks. Second would be to choose from among three speaker cabs - one with RC's, one with CH's and one with a combination. The third would somehow let you choose between 12AX7's and 12AT7's.

Of course this would soon lead to a fourth to choose between 6L6's and 6V6's and auto rebias. Now THAT would be an amp. :rotflmao

BTW, you need to update your signature.

Cheers, Scott

HA!! I was actually thinking of stacking the 2 reverbs in the amp and if/when I make a pedal to turn the reverb and tremolo on/off adding an extra stomp to switch between the 2 verbs. Or just putting a Long/Short verb switch on the amp. :o

Speaking of reverb I closely examined the tank Mojo sent me. One spring is definately less stretched out than the other and wobbles even when just holding the tank in my hand from the subtle shaking of my hands. I am gonna try to snip and shorten it to see what difference it makes.

I am also gonna get some Winged C tubes as I LOVED them in my Carr Rambler and try my old Jan Phillips 6L6 WGB's. They are nice if you want a tad less headroom that provides a nice drive sound.

I am also gonna try the Copperheads one more time too just to A/B again. Yeah I know shut up and play YER guitar. :BEER

derek_32999
05-17-2007, 01:25 PM
Shoot, well it sounds like there is supposed to be one shortened spring and one longer spring so I am gonna go with taking out the 1 meg resistor from grid to ground and using a 1 meg linear pot AKA dwell control. :AOK

Big Tim
05-17-2007, 05:33 PM
How is the master volume in the Encore? I was thinking about getting one myself, but I'd like to know if you really can dial it in to that sweet spot at a variety of volumes. Is the Encore's MV as good as getting a few tube amps at different watts?

Trowerfan
05-17-2007, 05:51 PM
What I dont understand is I have tried the 12AT7 with the 2 spring reverb and it DIDNT work well in my allen. It MAY have been the tank, but it had a very long lasting verb much longer than my BFSR. Does your outboarrd tank have a tone,dwell,and verb control? If so, what does the dwell do to the length of the verb?

I just put in my Ruby tank that I got from David. I'm not really sure I like it better. There is more verb but it lasts to long. I'm looking for a deeper sound not longer if that makes sense. I also tried Jan Phillips and Mullard 12AT7's. Didn't sound good. There are two versions of the 3 spring. The amp came with a 9AB2C1B tank. I think the other 9AB3??? tank might be the ticket. I can't believe I'm drivin myself nuts over reverb!:crazy

Trowerfan
05-17-2007, 06:30 PM
I think there is a typo on Allen's page. I think there is only one 3 spring tank, (9AB2C1B) and the(9AB3C1B) is the typo?

derek_32999
05-17-2007, 08:01 PM
I think the reason the 3 spring sounds like poo is that it isnt meant to go with fender circuits. If you open her up and find the 1meg resistor that controls the DWELL and put a 1 meg linear pot in its place you can dial it back to sound much better. IMO I tried a 2 spring (type 4) and it sounded even worse than the 3 spring cause of the length of the dwell. :( I am going to do the dwell mod tomorrow if I get a chance. I will let ya know if its worth it.

Also, IMO the master volume is ok but you cant really put it below 7 or 8 cause it does start to sound worse. I just like the sound of the speakers breaking up a touch though.

ABOUT the 12AT7. I like a little more headroom. That is all it gave me when I changed out the 12ax7. Didnt really sound different. Sounded more like my super cause of the extra headroom. :D

lochry
05-18-2007, 10:01 AM
Derek -- I am very interested in your dwell mod.

Where are you mounting the 1 meg linear pot? Can you give us a chassis shot?

After you live with it a few days, let us know whether you think this mod makes enough difference to be worth the bother.

Thanks

derek_32999
05-18-2007, 11:38 AM
Ok, I did the mod this AM, and love the difference. Here are some pics.

NOTE: ****See post 105 in this thread for the ALLEN way of doing this. IT sounds even better!! **

Knob mount (you could also make this mod easily reversible by using the external speaker jack as a knob mount. :D

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/derek_32999/DSCF0038.jpg

inside knob mount and wiring

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/derek_32999/DSCF0035-1.jpg

Board connection

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/derek_32999/DSCF0033-1.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/derek_32999/DSCF0031-1.jpg

I listened to it before putting the hole in the chassis. It sounded so good I had no problem with the hole. I am gonna try it with my 2 spring reverb later to see which I prefer. The 3 spring is MUCH more usable now. I can crank the tone, and reverb and keep the dwell down and it still is a usable sound. Whereas before it would have been a wall of unusable splash.

Trowerfan
05-18-2007, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the info and pics Derek! Looking forward to see which you prefer. If I keep the tone down low, the Ruby isn't to bad but I'm really interested in this mod and will try both tanks to see what sounds best to me after the dwell control is installed.

derek_32999
05-18-2007, 05:13 PM
I will be trying the 2 spring out this weekend or monday. I had my face in the amp all day today and am gonna just chill with it for a few days. Right now I have the copperheads in there and I still think it sounds more like the classic fender breakup when they break up. I like it, but the Ragin Cajuns break up noticably smoother and have a fuller bottom clean and dirty. Also the Copperheads are a little more cutting in the treble. It isn't ice pick or anything its just classic fender treble.

I also tried a lot of different tubes today after I finally figured out that the BIAS pot was not the 2 little red bias test points. I tried turning it with a little allen wrench and ended up breaking a connection that I had to repair. DOH!! So I finally found the little pot under the chassis toward the back of the amp behind the power tubes and adjusted it. I found so far I liked the TAD tubes that were a tad bit cold compared to my OLD JAN phillips (the JAn's baised at 26 with the bias pot all the way down wheras the TAD's were 9) I just biased the TAD's to around 35 with the amp's bias pot. :D

lochry
05-19-2007, 06:47 PM
I found so far I liked the TAD tubes

I picked up a set of these for my Encore and I am really liking them. They are a great value. I have been using 35 ma as a default bias setting and they sound great. I am going to try to borrow a scope in a few weeks to find the crossover notch on these tubes.

Thanks for the pics of your dwell mod. Like Trowerfan, I am going ahead with your mod -- a no brainer. I have plenty of free space in the back corner (where the empty tube cutout is on your chassis) so I'll install the pot there.

Please keep us updated on your sound experiments.

Trowerfan
05-20-2007, 08:00 AM
I tried a 5751 for the reverb driver and that helped a lot (better then a 12AT7) with the dwell issue but I'm gonna do the mod anyway. I also blew the rectifier, probably from powering it up and off a lot doing tube experiments. I used to just pull preamp tubes with it on standby.

phatster
05-20-2007, 08:10 AM
Since you guys are gettin into the tube thang....just wanted to pass on a very good resource for NOS treasures......terry_kilgore2003@yahoo.com.This guy is an absolute madman of tubes and he will give you the best of service.You will thank me later!!!!

phatster
05-20-2007, 08:12 AM
Sorry that e-mail didn't come out too well...it's terry_kilgore2003@yahoo.com.

derek_32999
05-20-2007, 08:42 AM
I picked up a set of these for my Encore and I am really liking them. They are a great value. I have been using 35 ma as a default bias setting and they sound great. I am going to try to borrow a scope in a few weeks to find the crossover notch on these tubes.

Thanks for the pics of your dwell mod. Like Trowerfan, I am going ahead with your mod -- a no brainer. I have plenty of free space in the back corner (where the empty tube cutout is on your chassis) so I'll install the pot there.

Please keep us updated on your sound experiments.

You could also try changing the 1 meg resistor to something around 750 K or 500k before you go drilling any holes. You may find that value to work much better. As a matter of fact my 1 meg pot actually measured out 950k and maxed out it sounds noticably better than the 1 meg resistor. I am kinda leaving the dwell as a set it and forget it, and a way to change the dwell when swapping tanks out. Enjoy!

Trowerfan
05-23-2007, 04:18 PM
I had my tech install a dwell control under the chassis. There is an extra hole in my Encore where V1 would be on a Fender amp. He just popped out the plastic cap that was in it's place and put the pot there. What tube do you guys have in that spot? Just curious since nobody recomended putting the pot there. Just had this done last night and didn't really get a chance to play much yet but I think this solved my reverb "problem".

lochry
05-23-2007, 08:09 PM
There is an extra hole in my Encore where V1 would be on a Fender amp.

The extra hole is no longer drilled out on the new chassis, but there is plenty of free space there for drilling. Let us know what you think of the mod.

Trowerfan
05-23-2007, 09:04 PM
Well I spent most of tonight messing with reverb pans. I wound up taking the tank from my Tone King Continental (which is an Accutronics 9AB3C1B) instead of the 9AB "2" C1B that the Encore came with and settled with that for my Encore pan. The Ruby had to much verb but with the dwell mod it sounded ok. The 9AB2C1B tank I wound up putting in sounds great to my ear and even with the dwell pot full on it was fine unlike the Ruby tank that needs the mod to control the super long dwell. I put the Ruby in my Tone King and it sounds almost like the pan I took out, probably from the 12AT7. I tried the 12AT7 in the Encore but it didn't work for that amp. So, if you don't wanna do the mod I would suggest the 9AB "3" tank and if you have dwell issues then mod it. I think the 9AB3C1B sounds like the reverb I hear on Fender amps.
BTW- Both accutronics tanks had 3 springs in them.
What do I think of the mod?...well it really doesn't need it with the "AB3" pan but since I already had an extra hole I'm glad I had it done, it helps, just more subtle with this pan.

derek_32999
05-24-2007, 09:25 AM
Thats interesting cause a 3 according to accutronics would have MORE decay time

DIGIT #4 - DECAY TIME
1 = Short (1.2 to 2.0 sec)
2 = Medium (1.75 to 3.0 sec)
3 = Long (2.75 to 4.0 sec)

I am glad it works for you and I will probably be ordering that tank :AOK I would love to know what tank is in a bruno ;)

Trowerfan
05-24-2007, 04:22 PM
It does, it just doesn't have as much as the Ruby 2 springer. With the "3" tank it sounds perfect, you just keep the verb setting pretty low and the dwell doesn't linger like the Ruby. I now keep the verb up to 4-5 with the dwell turned about 1/4- 1/2. I think you could get away with the 3 tank set low for nice verb without modding. The 2 tank just wasn't enough verb and the Ruby was over the top. This 3 tank has a sweet sound to it. David did tell me in an email that he thinks the newer accutronics tanks don't sound like they used to. The one I took out of my Tone King was from the mid 90's so if you buy a new one you might get different results then me.

Did anyone try 6V6's with this amp yet? I think I'm gonna put them in and bias tonight or over the weekend. I have a nice set of Jan Phillips and an RCA 5U4GB.

derek_32999
05-24-2007, 07:19 PM
Can you get surfy tones out of it? :D

Trowerfan
05-24-2007, 08:19 PM
Derek, The Ruby would be best out of all for surf.

I want to correct my post about the tanks. David was talking about the accutronics 2 spring tank in that email not their 3 spring tanks. You should be fine with the 3 spring (long). It doesn't have as much dwell as the ruby and I think it sounds overall nicer, plus you already did the mod so you can shape it how you like it.

To the original poster, how is your Encore? What tank are you using?

Sorry to derail your thread!

EL34
05-25-2007, 02:21 PM
Does anyone have soundclips of the Encore? I'd really like to hear what this amp can do...

lochry
05-25-2007, 03:05 PM
To the original poster, how is your Encore? What tank are you using?

Sorry to derail your thread!

No Problem -- This is all helpful. The Encore is a great amp. The EQ is superb. I can't turn it off. If I still like it this much in July, some of my favorite gear will be heading out the door.

I am beginning to get a sense for the interaction of the master volume with the rest of the amp. I don't use it to overdrive the preamp. Instead, I'm using it to set the overall feel of the amp.

When the MV is pegged, the amp is incredibly quick and responsive. Almost like holding a fire hose -- very small changes in picking or hand position have great force. Dialing the MV down a bit loosens up the feel in way I really like.

I can't report on the reverb as I still haven't received the cabinet. I did order a three-spring accusonic 9AB3C1B based on your previous posts (you got me gassing), so I will be able to provide some feedback on the reverb circuit next week.

Speaking of reverb. I was driving back from a job this morning and caught Terry Gross' interview with Dick Dale. Now there is some serious 'verb. I can't believe the guy is 70.

himey77
05-25-2007, 06:18 PM
Does anyone have soundclips of the Encore? I'd really like to hear what this amp can do...

:AOK

mad dog
05-26-2007, 07:57 AM

David: Sorry for the delay. Very interesting thread. Since you posted this, I have installed and tried out a 3 spring, LONG delay in my buddy's BFSR. So now I've played many 2 spring LONG tanks -- in the outboard RI reverb and many vintage Fenders -- three of the new 3-spring MEDIUM tanks -- in a Clark Tyger, in the outboard RI, and in my buddy's VR, plus the new 3-spring LONG in the VR. Some observations:

The 2-spring LONG tank is that classic Fender verb. That's what came in everything fender from the BF/SF years (I think.) Every tank sounded somewhat different, and the impact of reverb seemed to vary model to model. I really liked that tank in VRs and SRs, never liked the reverb in my BFDR much.

3-spring tanks sound different than two, regardless of LONG or MEDIUM, at least in my limited listening. The 3-spring MEDIUM is noticeably shorter in decay time than the 2-spring LONGs, more lush sounding, more enveloping. The 3-spring LONG sounds somewhere between that and the 2-spring LONG, not quite as long a decay as the 2-spring, with that same lush sound as the other 3-spring.

The dwell setting in the outboard (or any 2 o 3-knob built in) reverb can only work on what the tank has. I find dwell can be set higher with the 3-spring MEDIUM. Depends on the reverb. The Tyger built in 3-knob verb sounds best to me at about 12:00, all three knobs. Even with the same MEDIUM tank in the outboard unit, that would be big overkill. Different driver tubes maybe?? Different circuits I'll bet.

I've tried the 12ax7 vs the 12at7 in an old SR and VR. No contest. The 12at7 makes it better sounding, more controllable. I wouldn't try the "y" tube. This is a demanding position for tubes, don't think any others can handle it. (Experts, please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Most of all, I've learned you cannot generaize about reverb. Every circuit and tank is different. Were I in your shoes with the Encore (and I hope to be), I'd try all three tanks mentioned above, dialing in each one at medium or better volume to see what works. Medium and 3-spring in general are a bit different. Only worse or better if that's how you hear it. Mostly, I'm sticking with 3-spring MED. But, a vintage 2-spring LONG sounds best in my friend's VR, while the new, 3-spring MED sounds better in the SR.

A note on CHs. Break them in, and you'll hear one of the most balance, effficient and warm ceramics going. Love that speaker.

MD

derek_32999
05-26-2007, 05:56 PM
Wow, thanks for that. I think I just got a bad 2 spring tank. Even with the Dwell control dialed back it just wasn't that great sounding. The 3 spring MED sounds much better with the 12 AT7 and dwell control I installed dialed back a bit. I would like to try a 3 sprirng long, but am going to evaluate my usage of LONG reverb first. :D I actually have an old Gibson Falcon that has the best surf verb I have heard. So I am covered in that area.

I have the Copperheads installed right now and they are breaking in. I like the drive on them, and I agree that the brightness will probably decrease over time. The Allen Encore is a really great amp and I am glad to have mine. :cool:

David: Sorry for the delay. Very interesting thread. Since you posted this, I have installed and tried out a 3 spring, LONG delay in my buddy's BFSR. So now I've played many 2 spring LONG tanks -- in the outboard RI reverb and many vintage Fenders -- three of the new 3-spring MEDIUM tanks -- in a Clark Tyger, in the outboard RI, and in my buddy's VR, plus the new 3-spring LONG in the VR. Some observations:

The 2-spring LONG tank is that classic Fender verb. That's what came in everything fender from the BF/SF years (I think.) Every tank sounded somewhat different, and the impact of reverb seemed to vary model to model. I really liked that tank in VRs and SRs, never liked the reverb in my BFDR much.

3-spring tanks sound different than two, regardless of LONG or MEDIUM, at least in my limited listening. The 3-spring MEDIUM is noticeably shorter in decay time than the 2-spring LONGs, more lush sounding, more enveloping. The 3-spring LONG sounds somewhere between that and the 2-spring LONG, not quite as long a decay as the 2-spring, with that same lush sound as the other 3-spring.

The dwell setting in the outboard (or any 2 o 3-knob built in) reverb can only work on what the tank has. I find dwell can be set higher with the 3-spring MEDIUM. Depends on the reverb. The Tyger built in 3-knob verb sounds best to me at about 12:00, all three knobs. Even with the same MEDIUM tank in the outboard unit, that would be big overkill. Different driver tubes maybe?? Different circuits I'll bet.

I've tried the 12ax7 vs the 12at7 in an old SR and VR. No contest. The 12at7 makes it better sounding, more controllable. I wouldn't try the "y" tube. This is a demanding position for tubes, don't think any others can handle it. (Experts, please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Most of all, I've learned you cannot generaize about reverb. Every circuit and tank is different. Were I in your shoes with the Encore (and I hope to be), I'd try all three tanks mentioned above, dialing in each one at medium or better volume to see what works. Medium and 3-spring in general are a bit different. Only worse or better if that's how you hear it. Mostly, I'm sticking with 3-spring MED. But, a vintage 2-spring LONG sounds best in my friend's VR, while the new, 3-spring MED sounds better in the SR.

A note on CHs. Break them in, and you'll hear one of the most balance, effficient and warm ceramics going. Love that speaker.

MD

pula58
05-26-2007, 09:59 PM
For goodness sakes you guys, could you post some clips. I wanna hear that Encore!!

Phineas
05-29-2007, 09:08 AM
For goodness sakes you guys, could you post some clips. I wanna hear that Encore!!

yes! for the love of god :)!!

I've scoured the www and have yet to find any clips. what's going on out there!?

would love to hear the clean, clean on verge of break up ala BFVBR, dirt in varying degrees, the reverb on clean, and esp. the trem.

phatster
06-02-2007, 09:43 AM
PLEASE post some clips for the kit challenged folks!!:dude

Phineas
06-02-2007, 09:47 AM
yeah i searched (again) google for clips and nada! is this amp that bad? just jidding! man i think allen would boost his sales if he put some clips up.

lochry
06-02-2007, 12:27 PM
PLEASE post some clips for the kit challenged folks!!

Hey Phat -- you know posting is digital and that I'm an analog guy (and not too sharp on the techno to boot).

Still waiting on the cabinet. Then again, you can't be a kit builder if you insist on instant gratification. I did snag a three-spring accusonic reverb tank, so I can give some feedback on the reverb while awaiting delivery of the two-spring stock unit.

First, I am glad I installed the dwell mod. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to kick the reverb above 2 (although I can do Dick Dale splashy surf for days at 8). Between the three controls -- Reverb, Tone, Dwell -- I can dial in whatever I want.

Hey Phat, I'll be a/b'ing it against you Super Reverb in soon and you can post your own impressions.

phatster
06-02-2007, 12:44 PM
Hey bro,I flushed you out of da basement I reckon!Yeah,the SR is awaitig the challenge. OT...I'm checkin out Gries 5watt that is great bedroom amp.:moon

lochry
06-05-2007, 08:08 PM
ALLEN ENCORE DWELL MOD

For ease of reference for other Encore owners, here are the instructions for the Dwell Mod from the Man (David Allen) himself:

"Wire the left terminal (looking at the back of the [1M linear] pot with terminals on top) to the same ground point the 1M resistor used and wire the right terminal to the eyelet where the other end of that 1M resistor was (remove resistor). Then, wire the center lug or wiper to pins 7 and 2 of V2. Now the input to V2 can be driven from zero to full gain with a nice long taper." (Note that the end of the jumper from pin 7 of V2 has been removed from the board and reattached to the wiper).

David notes that wiring the left terminal to the original ground point preserves the star grounding. Even though the case of the pot is grounded to the chassis, no current will travel through it and no ground loops will occur using this wiring scheme.

Here is a picture of the mod.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q207/lochry/dwellmodwiring.jpg

Here is a picture of the dwell knob on the back corner of the chassis. (The old-style chrome chassis already has a hole. The new-style steel chassis has plenty of room for drilling a hole.) I am using a blade knob so it can be adjusted by feel.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q207/lochry/dwellknob.jpg

derek_32999
06-06-2007, 11:19 AM
I don't get any ground loops with the mod I posted or increase in noise etc and I run the raw knob Dimed at times. ;)

lochry
06-06-2007, 04:24 PM
I don't get any ground loops with the mod I posted or increase in noise etc and I run the raw knob Dimed at times. ;)

Hi Derek --

I agree, the mod you posted works great. In fact, it is easier to install.

The only difference with this mod is that I get a longer, smoother taper -- not that it makes it any easier (or harder) to find those sweet spots.

My cabinet is finally in the mail. Hope to have everything buttoned up by Monday or Tuesday.

lochry
06-08-2007, 07:49 PM
Ta daaaaaa!

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q207/lochry/allenfinal.jpg

Here endeth the thread.

derek_32999
06-08-2007, 08:40 PM
Sorry, but ya gotta make clips before this thread dies. :D

BTW, I did the reverb mod and it is better now. I can use it at higher levels and it just sounds better. Before at MAX it would kinda feedback onto itself. I guess this is the ground loop Mr. Allen was talking about. Thanks for the info on the updated mod. :D

Trowerfan
06-08-2007, 09:31 PM
Sweet pic! Does the BF sound better? ;)
http://http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w237/Bluezboy1972/EncoreFront.jpg
I tried 6V6s and they sound good at higher volums but that's about it.
Thanks for posting the Allen Mod. I have a chicken head knob where your's is placed for the dwell. I only turn the dwell up about 1/4 for normal playing with the (9AB3C1B) tank. Maybe the Allen mod would make it more useable? I'd like to try a 4AB3C1B tank next.

derek_32999
06-08-2007, 09:41 PM
Sweet pic! Does the BF sound better? ;)
http://http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w237/Bluezboy1972/EncoreFront.jpg
I tried 6V6s and they sound good at higher volums but that's about it.
Thanks for posting the Allen Mod. I have a chicken head knob where your's is placed for the dwell. I only turn the dwell up about 1/4 for normal playing with the (9AB3C1B) tank. Maybe the Allen mod would make it more useable? I'd like to try a 4AB3C1B tank next.

I think the Allen mod just makes it more useful when it is up past 1/2 way. It keeps the reverb from feeding back onto itself and getting boomy. That said I would still recommend it as it is the "right" way electronically speaking. In fact, I am going to edit my post and have it directed to Lochry's post.:dude

Big Tim
06-22-2007, 07:40 AM
Any clips yet?

Jim S
06-22-2007, 07:56 AM
Nice. I ordered an Allen Sweet Spot yesterday but wondering if I should have gone Encore because of the master. Clips puh-llllleeeeze.

moparmutt
06-22-2007, 04:51 PM
man that looks nice

lochry
06-23-2007, 09:28 AM
I have become seriously attached to my Encore. It is like a second son. I may start taking it to T-Ball soon. :jo

Here are a few bits of (I hope) useful info for present and future Encore obsessives.

SPEAKERS: I snagged a pair of 16 ohm JBL d-110f's. (Everybody wants the 8 ohm version, so I got 'em real cheap). These speakers sound amazing in this amp. As much as I loved the Ragin Cajuns, these speakers take the subtleties of this amp to a new level and really open it up in a nice way. If you can find 'em, get 'em. Here's my wallet photo:

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q207/lochry/encoreondolly.jpg

COVER: I hauls this amp around a bit, so I was looking for a decent cover. Something that would protect the controls and front mounted toggle switches when this thing is rattling between two cabinets and keep out the rain and snow. Went with Coveramp in Canada. They do amazing work and got a perfect fit the first time. I swear this cover can stop a bullet, and it is a lot easier than hauling a case. Coveramp has my dimensions for the Encore on file. They are good people. Second wallet shot:

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q207/lochry/encorewithcover.jpg

OK -- Here's one more photo of the "kids". No, you may not take my daughter to your gig.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q207/lochry/trussartwithencore.jpg

Sorry about the lack of clips guys. You just gonna have to get in front of one to get it.

derek_32999
06-23-2007, 06:13 PM
How do you think the JBL's work with the raw turned up? With the amps natural overdrive? Thats the one thing I think could be improved upon with the Ragin Cajuns. Amazing cleans, but the overdrive leaves a tad to be desired. I would like it to be a touch smoother IMO. Thanks!

Derek

lochry
06-24-2007, 03:47 PM
How do you think the JBL's work with the raw turned up? With the amps natural overdrive? Thats the one thing I think could be improved upon with the Ragin Cajuns. Amazing cleans, but the overdrive leaves a tad to be desired. I would like it to be a touch smoother IMO. Thanks!

Hi Derek --

The amp's natural overdrive does sound better with the JBLs. Note, however, that I never push the Raw above 4 (10:00). I am not using any fuzz or overdrive pedals with the Encore -- just my volume control and a clean boost when needed. I've ended up kicking in a second amp for dirt on demand -- something I had wanted to avoid because I can get everything I want out of the Encore, but I just can't twiddle the Encore's knobs fast enough. As a result, I've had to go back to my bigger (heavier) board.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q207/lochry/myboard.jpg

The biggest improvement from the JBLs is found in the clarity of the low end. I may have been dealing with a pair of Cajuns that weren't fully broken in, but I was getting some fuzzy ghosting on the low E, F, G, etc. That has disappeared. The JBLs are probably 40 years old, so they are thoroughly broken in and very 3-D sounding.

The JBLs throw the sound better than the Cajuns -- the clean hits your chest like a fist. (Again, the Cajuns may improve when fully broken in.) I was bracing myself for the ice-pick treble problem I've had with other JBLs, but it is a non-issue even with the speakers at head level. I checked on the history of the D-110f and it appears to be the only JBL instrument speaker that was not based on a previous hifi design. It was a totally new, dedicated guitar speaker. Perhaps that explains why it sounds so good. (Then again, maybe I'm just getting old and deaf.) :o

A final note -- it's too bad speakers aren't made as beautifully as these anymore.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q207/lochry/Picture170.jpg

derek_32999
06-24-2007, 06:07 PM
Thats sweet. I just got around to removing the EH 12ax7 I was using in V1 and put in a mullard from my Blackface vibrochamp.. Nice!! More warm sounding grind. Little less harsh bite. I wish I had my cajuns in there right now. I blew one of the speakers when I had the encore cranked and the raw knob at 4 mids up and bass up and treb at 5 hitting it with a boost.... :o Crazy I know.... but it was getting a raunchy tone.... :cool:

Now only if I could get a deal on some JBL's that don't cost $400 like you did. :D I think the Cajuns will do great with the Mullard. I also tried 6V6's today and love the drive they impart especially with the mullard V1. I was using some OLD Jan phillips 6v6's FWIW. Not too much headroom, but would be great for low volumes or recording.

lochry
06-24-2007, 09:09 PM
I blew one of the speakers when I had the encore cranked

DAMN, Derek -- you must have one hellava boost! Check for a PM.

I just got around to removing the EH 12ax7 I was using in V1 and put in a mullard

I will be trying that for sure. I have a couple of Rogers-branded Mullards in an old amp downstairs. I've been using the new Tung Sol 12ax7s and they are quite nice.

Now only if I could get a deal on some JBL's that don't cost $400 like you did.

Yeah -- I snagged there for $80 @, which still has me scratching my head, because they're prefect!

mprvise
06-24-2007, 11:08 PM
Used my Encore on a gig last night with excellent results. A friend who is a great player came out and I let him sit in so I could hear the rig out front - FANTASTIC!

One thing though - my reverb went out. Any suggestions on the first place to look? I know it worked at the last gig I used it on (a little over a week ago). All connectons seem to be fine. Not that I really used the reverb that much, and didn't miss it last night, but I'd still like it to be working.

derek_32999
06-24-2007, 11:27 PM
I am lost on that one, but I would probably start with the reverb driver tube. If you have any extra 12ax7's laying around. Also, it seems D. Allen is great with responding to such questions. :dude

Big Tim
06-26-2007, 07:41 AM
Would a Weber 5e3 kit be a good warmup for a first time builder to prepare for building an Encore?

Are there external bias points on the Encore?

Still nobody has clips of the Encore!?!

mprvise
06-26-2007, 07:44 AM

Yes.

derek_32999
06-26-2007, 07:46 AM
Would a Weber 5e3 kit be a good warmup for a first time builder to prepare for building an Encore?

Still nobody has clips of the Encore!?!

Personally I would start with an allen kit in warmup for a weber. The Allen kits actually come with step by step instructions. The Weber's have a schem and wiring diagram.

SarasotaSlim
06-27-2007, 08:29 AM
Just wrote a note to David Allen to update him about his 1x12 Encore I bought from him about a year ago. Here's what I told him:

After all this time I finally decided to try a different speaker in it.

As you may recall I had found some old Altec 417 vintage alnico type 12's and they sound pretty good. One was put in my stock BF Deluxe Reverb (with your bigger next size up trannys) and the other was put in the Encore from day one. It seemed to squish and run out of power when I was really honking on it so I finally took the Altec out and put in my JBL E120.

I must say there is such a HUGE difference that words can hardly describe what happened.

The amp is HUGE! I never got it above 3 all night while playing inside with a 5 pc. band. It's very similar in volume output to my other Deluxe Reverb with the massively huge and heavy Hoffman trannys. Now both of these amps are the kind you have to point away from the sound guy because they project so far - loud and well defined. Anyone who thinks that they need more bottom end than a single 12 has just never fooled with a JBL E120. I plan on having the Altec magnet recharged to see if that helps. The JBL is a bit much and way too heavy to carry but for now it will make those other yahoos follow me or else!

And now for some clips that folks keep wanting to hear...
http://www.sarasotaslim.com/music-group-31.html
Songs 1-8 are the Encore with the old tired Altec 417 alnico and later on the last set I resorted to my elephant killer Deluxe Reverb with the GIANT Hoffman trannys and JBL D120 reconed to 16 ohm.
http://www.sarasotaslim.com/images/whitedeluxe.jpg

Sorry no pics of my Encore yet but it looks like the Deluxe in this pic. It's gonna take a while to get used to the new way this Encore works now that I've put the JBL E120 in it but one thing's for sure - YOU CAN HEAR IT - I'd have no fear of going toe to toe with any 2x6L6 type amp.

AshlandBump
06-27-2007, 08:54 AM
Has anyone considered adding a pentode/triode switch to their Encore (or other Allen amp)? I don't have much experience with these but, in theory, I like the flexibility a pentode/triode switch would offer.

I don't know if this kit would work with the Encore but Torres offers this:
http://www.torresengineering.com/triodpen12po.html

lochry
06-27-2007, 08:00 PM
And now for some clips that folks keep wanting to hear..

Nice groove, Slim. :AOKStraight to my Ipod. Thanks.

AshlandBump
06-27-2007, 09:25 PM
Great jams Sarasota -- are you playing a Strat in them?

bluenote04
08-23-2007, 03:38 PM
I just ordered an Encore head kit two days ago. It was David's last chrome faceplated chassis. :D

Looking forward to posting my own 'gut shots.'

phatster
08-24-2007, 05:51 AM
This thread refuses to die..........Its that good!!!

derek_32999
08-24-2007, 09:25 PM
Its so good I haven't really been jonesing for any gear at all. I rarely have to come around here. Its been a few months now and I think the honeymoon is over and the amp has cured most of my gas. All I need now is a marshall amp with power scaling and I will be set. :D

teleamp
08-24-2007, 09:37 PM
I put an Old Flame kit together for my first amp project 7-8 years ago. If you follow the instructions you shouldn't have any problems. The instructions are VERY detailed and there's a very well drawn picture of the insides. Make it look like the pic and you'll have a quiet great sounding amp for a lifetime. My OF fired up and worked the first time.

+1 best instuctions anywhere, if you follow them and your solder skils are good, the amp will work right the first time you fire it up.

MikeY

RedLizard
08-24-2007, 10:05 PM
Its so good I haven't really been jonesing for any gear at all. I rarely have to come around here. Its been a few months now and I think the honeymoon is over and the amp has cured most of my gas. All I need now is a marshall amp with power scaling and I will be set. :D

Good to hear, because I really miss it, but you can't tell me that the Encore 4x10 that someone is selling hasn't made you wonder.....:drool

topbrent
08-24-2007, 10:10 PM
I am the guy with the 4x10 encore for sale.

Completely awesome is a fitting description.

PM me if you need any specific details about the sound. :dude

derek_32999
08-24-2007, 11:33 PM
Good to hear, because I really miss it, but you can't tell me that the Encore 4x10 that someone is selling hasn't made you wonder.....:drool

LOL, I haven't really browsed the emporiums since getting the encore. :dude

Encore+Ragin Cajuns+Tele = TONE! Thanks a million for this amp!

The best pedal I have found for the Encore IMO is a BJF Baby Blue, but they are hard to find. A Tim works wonders as well. Especially if you put an EQ in the effects loop and set it to a mid hump that you could switch on or off.

lochry
08-30-2007, 12:38 PM
LOL, I haven't really browsed the emporiums since getting the encore. :dude

Same here for the same reason. My brother (evil man) loaned me his Swart AST for a few weeks to do a side-by-side.

For lack of a better description, the Encore has a dozen shades of clean. The Swart has one very nice clean, but it disappears pretty quickly.
The Swart overdriven is killer with a lot of presence. The Encore with extra Raw comes close enough for me, but lacks some of the Swart's mid-punch.
The Swart's reverb is excellent and so simple -- better than the stock Encore, but not as versatile as the Encore with the dwell mod.
Both amps have excellent tremolo.
Swart definitely wins on the footprint/weight category. The cabinet is a work of art.
Encore wins the durability category. The Swart's open back looks great, but invites disaster. The chassis of the Swart feels a little flimsy compared to the Encore.
When yoked together, these amps are very, very complementary. Running wet/dry stereo pedals through them is just stunning. (The Encore has a more defined attack, and sounds best as the "dry" source.)Both amps excell in their own way. For my taste -- and as a single coil fan -- the Encore comes out on top, because I like having a lot of crayons in the clean box. The difference in power is also an issue, although the Swart is loud as hell when overdriven. The EQ on the Encore is much more flexible than the Swart and adds to its versatility.

Bottomline -- I would love to keep them both, but I can't, so the Encore stays and the AST goes back to my bro. (Come get your damn apple, satan!:mad:)

Phineas
08-30-2007, 01:39 PM
great review lochry! very insightful!

SarasotaSlim
08-30-2007, 01:40 PM
Just wrote a note to David Allen to update him about his 1x12 Encore I bought from him about a year ago. Here's what I told him:

After all this time I finally decided to try a different speaker in it.

As you may recall I had found some old Altec 417 vintage alnico type 12's and they sound pretty good. One was put in my stock BF Deluxe Reverb (with your bigger next size up trannys) and the other was put in the Encore from day one. It seemed to squish and run out of power when I was really honking on it so I finally took the Altec out and put in my JBL E120.

I must say there is such a HUGE difference that words can hardly describe what happened.

The amp is HUGE! I never got it above 3 all night while playing inside with a 5 pc. band. It's very similar in volume output to my other Deluxe Reverb with the massively huge and heavy Hoffman trannys. Now both of these amps are the kind you have to point away from the sound guy because they project so far - loud and well defined. Anyone who thinks that they need more bottom end than a single 12 has just never fooled with a JBL E120. I plan on having the Altec magnet recharged to see if that helps. The JBL is a bit much and way too heavy to carry but for now it will make those other yahoos follow me or else!

And now for some clips that folks keep wanting to hear...
http://www.sarasotaslim.com/music-group-31.html
Songs 1-8 are the Encore with the old tired Altec 417 alnico and later on the last set I resorted to my elephant killer Deluxe Reverb with the GIANT Hoffman trannys and JBL D120 reconed to 16 ohm.
http://www.sarasotaslim.com/images/whitedeluxe.jpg

Sorry no pics of my Encore yet but it looks like the Deluxe in this pic. It's gonna take a while to get used to the new way this Encore works now that I've put the JBL E120 in it but one thing's for sure - YOU CAN HEAR IT - I'd have no fear of going toe to toe with any 2x6L6 type amp.

OK I'll try to post this pic from my phone. I took it 'cause we were playing a place that had a bunch of those wierd Bose stick PA speakers. Still haven't recharged my alnico Altec to see if it helps. The JBL E120 ROCKS!
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1225/1096245224_3161bf6234.jpg?v=0 The Encore clips are with several different guitars. The raw knob is way cool with a Strat. Some of the clips are straight and some have a Tech 21 Double Drive and/or wah on them.

phatster
08-31-2007, 06:22 PM
Hey bro......Being the politician you are you made me think my lil SWART held its own!If you got a chance put that rascal thru an extension cab..........you will wet yourself!!!:FM:nono

Trowerfan
08-31-2007, 07:48 PM
Anyone have any suggestions for OD's that work really well with this amp? I've tried a TS-10, MMFX Tube Dancer, Menatone Blue Collar, Bad Monkey, RAT, Dino Fuzz and haven't really been satisfied. I will say, the amp does not need OD's but I'd like to find a good match for it. Looking for something really smooth sounding. The ones I've tried seem to have a bit of harshness to them with this amp. I do know one thing. I always had to use an OD for all my past tube amps, they just didn't sound good without. This amp doesn't need anything to sound good. I'd just like some dirt for low volume playing that has a "smooth" blues tone. What are everyone's favorite dirt pedals with the Encore? ...Thanks!

phatster
08-31-2007, 07:54 PM
Try the OCD,its a good one!:JAM

Trowerfan
08-31-2007, 08:19 PM
Try the OCD,its a good one!:JAM

I thought that would sound harsh with this amp, no? ..and thought it only worked well with Tweed/Marshall type circuts?

phatster
08-31-2007, 08:43 PM
My favorites are the OCD and the Barber.....I'm leaning toward the OCD though.....try it dude,sounds like you tried most all of them!!:horse

mprvise
09-01-2007, 09:15 AM
Love mine with the Eternity!

Phineas
09-01-2007, 10:37 AM
how do you think it will sound w. a tim or a zendrive? i have both and i'm curious. i'm also thinking about getting that new fulltone boost and drive pedal in one.

lochry
09-01-2007, 02:20 PM
Anyone have any suggestions for OD's that work really well with this amp? . . . This amp doesn't need anything to sound good.Thanks!

I agree! I haven't found an OD that really improves on what I can get from the right balance of Raw and MV on the Encore. As a result, I only use an OD when I also want a nice clean tone on tap. (I'm still using 6L6s in the amp, but replacing the GZ34 and rebiasing the amp for a 5U4 rectifier loosened things up nicely and has helped me get more 6V6-style trashiness when I want it).

I prefer a light OD like the Barber LTD mentioned by my bro, Phaster (:Devil). Don't care for the OCD at all (:BOUNCE). I recently tried the Eden Audio "Nashville" and it is a very, very good light OD, but it pulls too much sparkle off the Encore's tone for my taste.

The OD pedal I come back to year-after-year is an oddball -- the Jersey Girl "Plusdriver." I picked up a used one on a whim several years ago (I'm married to a real Jersey girl). The pedal combines a simplified version of the JG "Fulltender" OD with a pre/post clean boost. The OD becomes too raucous for me after 9:00, but it adds very sweet, clear compression with a touch of dirt at low settings. Like the TS, it cuts some of the bass, adds focus in the midrange, but retains high end sparkle.

The boost side of the pedal is my all time favorite clean boost. It has survived all challengers including Klon, Xotic, MK 4:23, Jauernig, TC Elec, etc. It is a real simple one knob boost that stays perfectly balanced at all levels.

A pedal I used to use with my '67 Sunn for OD but never got a chance to use with the Encore is the D*A*M Dragonfly. Technically a fuzz, it worked as the best low gain OD I ever used with a big amp. I'm looking to borrow one and give it another go.

User results may vary.

Phineas
10-24-2007, 12:33 PM
Hey gang -

So i finally scored a deal on the bay for a used 112 encore & all my expectations were exceeded for this amp. suffice it to say, i'm happy w. the purchase, HOWEVER, i have 2 issues that i thought i would bring up w. you all:

1- i get a noise when cranking the reverb and tone controls. it's a loud noise but it's barely audible when the controls are lowered. any ideas?

I've done everything from swapping tubes, to swapping reverb pans, to checking micophonics, basically everything short of opening up the chassis. never opened one up on a fender style amp so i didn't want to go there until i checked out everything else. How does one do this? i'm sure it's simple but i'd rather take direction from those experienced first. what should i look for once in there?

-something in or on the chassis rattles when playing low notes. I've poked around the outside of it and can't id anything loose. it's hard to pinpoint where it's coming from exactly. sounds like the middle though.

Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks!

pula58
11-01-2007, 04:44 PM
Hi Phineaus,
I bought a used Allen Accomplice on ebay (last year) and it did the same thing! Bass notes made a whole bunch of things rattle in the cab. I ended-up selling it for various reasons, that being one of them. I think those amps are basically good though! Good luck (check if any of the tubes are the cul[print by swapping them out with a known good tube and/or tap each tube with amp fully on (not instandby) and see if you hear one tube making much more noise than the others. That's my 2 cents. Best of luck!

P.

Phineas
11-01-2007, 05:59 PM
no kidding! must be first time builders not tightening their parts all the way or something. my friend bought his encore built by allen and doesn't have this problem.

thanks for the tips. i did try swapping as well as checking for microphonics already but no go. the guy i bought it from offered to pay the fees for a tech to check it out so i'm going to avoiding going into the chassis and leave it to the tech. bringing it by this wknd. i'll report back when he's done w. it.

bluenote04
11-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Another happy Encore owner here. I'm kinda bummed the build is over.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c216/bluenote04/IMG_0675.jpg

lochry
11-08-2007, 09:09 PM
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/John/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg

:AOKNice build, Bluenote04. What speakers did you choose?

bluenote04
11-08-2007, 11:16 PM
Don't have any yet. :bkw

I'm currently playing it through a 1x15 cabinet on loan from a friend. It has a Weber Chicago in it. I've got an Avatar 2x12 open backed cabinet I'm planning on loading with a RWB and Swamp Thang.

I played through a 1x12 with an EV at a friend's house tonight & really liked it.

Got any recommendations for something else?

bluenote04
11-20-2007, 09:10 AM
Played through a 2x12 with a couple of Celestion
G12T-75s last week, and really liked what I heard. Nice & punchy.

This is gonna get expensive.:dude

Big Tim
12-07-2007, 12:22 PM
What configuration would be best for the Encore? I was thinking at first of doing the "traditional" 2 10's but lately I've been thinking a head would be more versatile. Is the 2 10 "grab and go"?

Anyone made some more clips of the Encore yet?

lochry
12-08-2007, 10:08 PM
I love the combo, but I'm seriously considering buying or building a head cab for two reasons: (1) sheds some serious combo weight, and (2) don't always need to haul a cab. Still loving the Encore.

I'm currently building my take on a 5e3 from spare parts and an old Merson/Univox cab I picked up a few years back. The cab is from a U-75 and will (barely) house a 10" and a 12". Latest chapter in my continuing quest for great tone and good volume at under 10 kilos.:rolleyes:

twangbanger
12-09-2007, 06:00 AM
What configuration would be best for the Encore? I was thinking at first of doing the "traditional" 2 10's but lately I've been thinking a head would be more versatile. Is the 2 10 "grab and go"?

Anyone made some more clips of the Encore yet?I've got the 1-12 combo w/ a cel gold ,it's a great grab and go combo, not too heavy but has great tone! :dude

Phineas
12-09-2007, 11:01 AM
twangbanger - do tell about that 112 gold combo! i've got a 112 encore that came w. an emi wizard that sounds killer but i've been meaning to go alnico w. mine. how's dirt and clean sound? i'm sure the dirt sounds killer but how about the clean? does it handle the fender bf clean tone well?

derek_32999
04-08-2008, 11:15 AM
See Link at bottom for Clips

OK, I have some clips. Evidently I need to be cleared by soundclick first. The Equipment in my clips is a homemade tele with Barden Pickups and a Yamaha ES335 clone (sa 2200). I only had a SM58 mic lying around as I dont know where my 57 ran off to. I recorded the clips with Sonar through an M-audio410 firewire connection. No pedals, just guitar - Lava ELC 15' cable- allen Encore.

I just opened a soundclick page. My soundclick page is http://members.soundclick.com/derek32999 I have uploaded the clips and none of them are longer than maybe 30 secs but I tried to be as varied as I could in my choice of wankage. I will update this thread when they are on the page. I am still trying to figure it out.... :bkw

OK , I am making a new thread with clips so as not to detract from this one. Please post comments! Thanks! :D

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=378634

derek_32999
04-11-2008, 01:00 AM
Anyone that had asked for clips... see above post. :Spank

lochry
02-07-2009, 07:55 PM
I started this thread when I built my Encore. Just checking in with some speaker suggestions.

After many tryouts, I found the best balance of balls and detail in the 2x10 open back cabinet to be a Fane Alnico (one of the little blue 100 watters they made in the 90s) and an old CTS with a whizzer cone. Yeah, rather unconventional, but I tried dozens and this combination is the most 3-D without running too bright or too woofy.

Now here's why I'm really updating. :love:

A while back I picked up (for maybe $15) a cheap Kingston 1x15 sealed enclosure. I got it because it was small (8 x 24 x 17) and incredibly light, so really just toy. The 15" (an old CTS) installed in it sounded constipuated and made the thing dance across the floor, so on a whim I installed a 12" baffle behind the old 15". The second baffle is about 16" wide and rides on the 3/4" cleats that hold the original baffle, thus creating a void between the baffles. (Works sort of like a poor man's tone ring, but the speaker is set back instead of flush with the front baffle and the 15" outer baffle serves as a big port that "detunes" the cab I guess.)

I stuck an 12" Eminence Private Jack in it. Holy mackeral! :eek: I couldn't believe it. Best sounding cab I've ever used with the Encore. Tried it with my old brownface bandmaster -- same results. Loaded it with a Red Fang -- great, but a little too compressed. Finally installed a '63 JBL d120f (not a recone) and that took the cake.:drool

I showed it to my brother (hi Phatster) and we put it through the paces -- cranked, different guitars, different speakers, the works. Sounded incredible.

I'm still scratching my head. :huh How can something so small and light and CHEAP sound so big and perfectly balanced, even cranked. Even with the JBL, the cab weighs under 30 lbs. On paper, this thing makes no sense. But I trust my ears and it has me rethinking a lot of my assumptions about speaker cabs.

62Tele
02-07-2009, 08:34 PM
Just built a light pine oversized 1x12 extension cab for my Accomplice. Running the same EV in both the combo and the extension it's no contest - the oversized cab sounds night and day better, and it's not much bigger than the original combo. Now the only decision is is whether to keep the chassis in the combo cab to run with the EV or just put it in a head cab.

pula58
02-08-2009, 11:19 AM
I have never had a combo amp sound as good as when I take the identical speaker from the combo cab and out it is a external cab. It always sounds better to me when the speaker is in the external cab.

I recall one day when I rotated through about 4 diffrerent speakers in a ear candy 1x12 "Boa" cab. I zeroed-in on which spoeaker I liked best, then, put that speaker in my princeton reverb combo amp. It didn't sound as good when I put the speaker in the combo cab!

So, yes, I think I relate to your epiphany!

P.

GTRJohnny
02-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Just built a light pine oversized 1x12 extension cab for my Accomplice. Running the same EV in both the combo and the extension it's no contest - the oversized cab sounds night and day better, and it's not much bigger than the original combo. Now the only decision is is whether to keep the chassis in the combo cab to run with the EV or just put it in a head cab.

Agreed... the only combo I've heard that sounded like a cab/head to me was the Shiva. Always seems to be a compromise for convienence...

62Tele
02-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Well, I have to say I still like combos. I have my Brown Sugar in a 1x12 cab with a Jensen Neo and it sounds great - loudest 30 watts I've ever owned and comes in a little under 40# with the neo. Great grab and go, work the volume pot kind of amp. But sit that thing on top of the EV cab and fire up a tele ... Whoa.

But my Accomplice sounds like a friggin' twin on top of the EV cab and as much as I like it, it's never sounded like that in the combo cab. Might just have to build a second EV cab...:cool:

GTRJohnny
02-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Well, I have to say I still like combos. I have my Brown Sugar in a 1x12 cab with a Jensen Neo and it sounds great - loudest 30 watts I've ever owned and comes in a little under 40# with the neo. Great grab and go, work the volume pot kind of amp. But sit that thing on top of the EV cab and fire up a tele ... Whoa.

But my Accomplice sounds like a friggin' twin on top of the EV cab and as much as I like it, it's never sounded like that in the combo cab. Might just have to build a second EV cab...:cool:

I love EVs, but there's a spot in my spine - right where one of my vertibrae is not quite right - that doesn't like EVs at all. That part of my back would probably really love a Jensen Neo, though... :BEER

RickV
03-28-2009, 11:37 PM
I have a day or two left with wiring my new Encore head kit. Went with the traditional black & silver cab. Rob, at Trutone is building me a 2x10 cab. I'm having him load it with the Weber Sig10 ceramic smooth cones. They're suppose to be real warm, but agressive and early breakup. If I don't care for them, I'll probably try a pair of Eminence Copperheads. Rob is also building me a head cabinet for my SF Champ chassis. I'm running a Triad OT with 4 & 8 ohm taps. It's slightly beefier than the stock trannie. I will run this head throught the same 2x10 cab. I ran the Champ through my SFVR with Ragin Cajuns... wow. Couldn't hardly believe how loud it cranked and the OD was some of the best I've ever used. No pedal needed for OD.

Can't wait to hear the Encore head through this cabinet. Rob does beautiful work for a very reasonable price. His cabs sound wonderful.

RV

GTRJohnny
03-29-2009, 11:26 AM
Gotta post pics of that when completed. I bet it's going to be l-o-u-d! Especially if you run it with the RCs... :)

RickV
03-30-2009, 06:37 PM
Yes, RC's would be loud. That's why I'm going to try a pair of Weber ceramic Sig10 with the smooth cones. They should give it up pretty easy & early.

Waynesworld50
05-05-2009, 04:34 PM
I've been following this thread for awhile as I am just about to pull the trigger on ordering an Encore head kit.

AshlandBump
05-22-2009, 10:17 AM
The features of this amp make it very attractive to me. I'd love to build it from a kit but don't have extensive soldering experience. If I can successfully build a few BYOC pedal kits (which I haven't yet, but I thought I'd start with that) would that be enough experience to go a good job with the Encore kit?

RickV
05-22-2009, 11:03 AM
I would say "yes". Dave Allen sends extremely comprehensive instructions with his kits. It basicly, "paint by numbers" kit building. It's not a simple build and will take you several evenings to complete (stop when you start getting tired or you'll be sorry). The main thing (IMO) is nice, clean solders. That's not really hard to do. Dave even gives guidance with that, too.

He sends a components check list. Definitely take inventory, before you start. I've built three of his amps (brown sugar, encore & classic 10). All were missing components. David was great with overnighting these parts, but it was still a little annoying.

I think his amps and kits are excellent. They aren't cheap, but like everything else, you get what you pay for.

BTW... the Weber ceramic Sig10 (smooth cone) speakers I'm using with this amp are great. I was expecting them to break up really early, due to the smooth cones, but they have to be pushed fairly good to give it up. These sound very vintage (Jensen) to my ears. Great speaker for the buck.

RickV
05-23-2009, 10:01 AM
Update on my Encore head. I've been a little on the fence with this one. It's a great amp, with lots of possibilities, but there were a couple things I just wasn't 100% satisfied with. First, the reverb seem to need some taming down. For me, it was almost un-useable, but I only like a slight touch of reverb. The other was the overall grittiness of the tone. I dug through my parts box and found some old 12AT7's (GE, Sylvania & RCA). David uses 12AX7's in all the preamp slots. I replaced the reverb tube with the GE 12AT7 (V3). Wow, what a difference. Reminds me a lot of the reverb on my old SFVR, only better, due to the added tone control. I can really dial in perfect verb. I put the RCA 12AT7 in the PI slot (V5). That took a lot of the grit out and added some Fenderish sparkle that seemed to be missing. I really liked the amp before. Now, I love it. David said to be careful selecting 12AT7's (new ones), as they tend to be noisy. These old ones are dead quite and sound great. BTW... if you like tremolo, it doesn't get any better than the circuit in these amps.

RV

GTRJohnny
05-23-2009, 10:22 AM
Update on my Encore head... First, the reverb seem to need some taming down. For me, it was almost un-useable, but I only like a slight touch of reverb.

Wow, I didn't know the verb driving tube would make that much difference. I too prefer less verb or just a touch. I'll have to remember to try this next time I run across an overly splashy Fender...

danelectro
05-23-2009, 12:18 PM
I built an Accomplice a couple of years ago and then later built an Encore for a friend of mine. Both are great sounding amps. The Encore has a bit more volume and bottom end than the Accomplice (6L6 vs 6V6), but they're both voiced similarly. Dave's instructions couldn't be more clear. As long as you can solder and follow directions, you can build one of these. Here are some photos of the Accomplice build, which took about 15 hrs.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/dynasonic/Music%20Gear/Allen%20Accomplice/AllenAccomplice006.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/dynasonic/Music%20Gear/Allen%20Accomplice/AllenAccomplice011.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/dynasonic/Music%20Gear/Allen%20Accomplice/AllenAccomplice022.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/dynasonic/Music%20Gear/Allen%20Accomplice/AllenAccomplice026.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/dynasonic/Music%20Gear/Allen%20Accomplice/AllenAccomplice028.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/dynasonic/Music%20Gear/Allen%20Accomplice/AllenAccomplice040.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/dynasonic/Music%20Gear/Allen%20Accomplice/AllenAccomplice042.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/dynasonic/Music%20Gear/Allen%20Accomplice/AllenAccomplice044.jpg

The Encore went a little faster (maybe 13-14 hrs)
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/dynasonic/Music%20Gear/Allen%20Accomplice/800AllenEncore002.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/dynasonic/Music%20Gear/Allen%20Accomplice/800AllenEncore007.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/dynasonic/Music%20Gear/Allen%20Accomplice/800AllenEncore012.jpg

I found the speaker in the Accomplice to be a bit midrangy for my taste and I was usually connecting it to either a Marshall 1965A box (4 x 10") or an Avatar 212 box with a V30 and a G12H30. I ended up building a head cabinet for the Accomplice so that I had less to carry around.
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/dynasonic/Music%20Gear/Allen%20Accomplice/AllenAccompliceHead2640.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/dynasonic/Music%20Gear/Allen%20Accomplice/AllenAccompliceHead5640.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/dynasonic/Music%20Gear/Allen%20Accomplice/AllenAccompliceHead3640.jpg

Waynesworld50
05-26-2009, 04:52 PM
I ordered my Encore head kit last Thursday. David shipped it Friday. I should have it by the end of the week.

Waynesworld50
06-03-2009, 04:50 PM
I've inventoried my kit and I was missing a preamp tube. Also I think my midrange pot is wrong. The list calls for an A100k and I have an A10k. I emailed David Allen Monday and I still haven't heard from him :(

Power Tron Man
06-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Hi mprovise, any second thoughts about not getting the 40 watt Tranny? I just ordered the Encore the other day with the 35 watt rig.

Not much to add here, except to say the Encore is a wonderful amp! Mine's got the 35W tranny and Copperhead speakers, and was built by David. Very nice Vibrolux style tone, and just the right amount of breakup at stage volume. Love it!

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m50/mprvise/ALLEN1.jpg

mprvise
06-13-2009, 08:54 PM
Hi mprovise, any second thoughts about not getting the 40 watt Tranny? I just ordered the Encore the other day with the 35 watt rig.

Responded to your PM, but just in case others were curious, no second thoughts what so ever! Out of 14 amps here at the house the Encore is the gig workhorse. Stone reliable and just what I was looking for when I ordered it.

beanbass
06-15-2009, 07:21 AM
How's progress, wayne?

Waynesworld50
06-15-2009, 06:09 PM
Well I think things are going pretty good so far. I mounted the board and wired up the preamp tube sockets yesterday. I think I might be able to complete this puppy next weekend. All I need is the middle pot from David as the kit originally came with an A100k instead of the A10k midrange pot. Other than that I'm set to go.

Still need to decide what kind of cab and speakers to get for this thing.

http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/u...d/DSC00233.jpg (http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu291/Waynesworld50/Encore%20build/DSC00233.jpg)

http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/u...d/DSC00235.jpg (http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu291/Waynesworld50/Encore%20build/DSC00235.jpg)
http://img.thegearpage.net/board/images/misc/progress.gif

jumpnblues
06-15-2009, 07:19 PM
I have the 40 watt version of the Encore in a head and cab. Prepare yourself for an extremely satisfying experience when you fire your amp up for the first time. The pics below aren't the best but you can at least see what mine looks like. The cab has two Weber 25 watt C10Ns (10F150s) and two Weber 30 watt P10Qs (10A125s). That's a 50 watt Weber MASS sitting on the head. I use it mostly at home. I also have two Louis Electric amps sitting just to the right of the Allen. All three amps are in the "incredible sounding" category.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL96/9537383/17383110/359729020.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL96/9537383/17383110/359729069.jpg

Tom

Waynesworld50
06-19-2009, 08:18 PM
I'm done with the wiring. I'm going through the checklist and everything looks good so far. The only thing I'm waiting on is I was sent the wrong Mid pot. Dave sent me a new one but it hasen't gotten here yet. I guess I have time to really make sure everything is good before plug in.

Waynesworld50
06-22-2009, 11:06 AM
I fired up the Amp yesterday and it was far better than I could have possibly imagine. I can't believe the incredible sounds that I can get out of this thing. I plugged it in, biased the tubes and started playing. It worked perfect the very first time.
:rockin

Waynesworld50
06-23-2009, 06:59 PM
Yesterday the UPS guy dropped of my cabinet and my Seymore Duncan Twin Tube Blue. I installed the chassis, checked the bias again and had a blast. And here is my finished Allen Encore head. I have one of the Celestions from my CyberTwin plugged into if for now until I decide what kind of speaker cab to get.

http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu291/Waynesworld50/Encore%20build/DSC00246.jpg
http://i657.photobucket.com/albums/uu291/Waynesworld50/Encore%20build/DSC00247.jpg

chaewon
08-02-2013, 12:00 AM
I'm resurrecting this thread again since I just finished my allen encore kit yesterday. :D
The amp sounds really wonderful and all I can say is just "WOW".

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3808/9680702467_f5c245a5e5_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/46904184@N08/9680702467/)
Allen Encore front (http://www.flickr.com/photos/46904184@N08/9680702467/) by kjh1228 (http://www.flickr.com/people/46904184@N08/), on Flickr
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5477/9680702597_94787d9fb3_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/46904184@N08/9680702597/)
Allen Encore amp gut (http://www.flickr.com/photos/46904184@N08/9680702597/) by kjh1228 (http://www.flickr.com/people/46904184@N08/), on Flickr

Old Chomper
08-02-2013, 10:11 AM
Let me be the first to say: that is a GORGEOUS wiring job!

Couloirman
08-02-2013, 10:12 AM
Nice clean work! I really need to sack up and finally place an order from him. Probably a Chihuahua as a first time build.

Trotter
08-02-2013, 11:28 AM
I'm resurrecting this thread again since I just finished my allen encore kit yesterday. :D
The amp sounds really wonderful and all I can say is just "WOW".

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab275/kjh1228/IMG_36111.jpg~original
http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab275/kjh1228/IMG_36091-1.jpg~original

That is outstanding work sir! Well done.

Do you mind if I ask how hard this kit is to build? I've never built an amp kit, but know how to solder and follow directions. Are the instuctions detailed enough for a beginner?

thanks

SBax
08-02-2013, 11:50 AM
The amp sounds really wonderful...]

Interesting placement for V1. Short signal path, no need for a shielded line. Oh yeah, super tight twist on the heater lines. Is there a recommended twist per inch? I thought I saw a spec somewhere.

chaewon
08-02-2013, 12:05 PM
Let me be the first to say: that is a GORGEOUS wiring job!

Many thanks. ;)

chaewon
08-02-2013, 12:06 PM
Nice clean work! I really need to sack up and finally place an order from him. Probably a Chihuahua as a first time build.

I also have built the Allen Chihuahua amp and a great sounding small amp. Love it.

chaewon
08-02-2013, 12:09 PM
Do you mind if I ask how hard this kit is to build? I've never built an amp kit, but know how to solder and follow directions. Are the instuctions detailed enough for a beginner?

I can highly recommend Allen amp kit for first build. Allen kitís instruction is extremely detail (over 40-50 pages) and you can easily build an amp if you follow the instruction.

twangbanger
08-02-2013, 12:49 PM
Built the Encore myself . Best instructions and sounds amazing ! I see they are on sale for $999.

stilesg57
08-03-2013, 02:11 AM
Oh man, GORGEOUS job! Congrats. Bet it sounds as awesome as it looks.

Glad to hear it's a decently newbie-friendly build (as much as an awesome amplifier can be, anyway). I know my way around a soldering iron and I've built a pedal, but I'm still a little nervous about tackling a project like this. Maybe this winter I'll bite the bullet, because man I want one of these amps!