PDA

View Full Version : Victoria Amp Question

guitarz_dave
05-23-2007, 01:47 AM
I have both a 5112 (great for practice, fantastic power tube breakup) and 35310 (wonderful warm clean headroom, really cuts through for lead in a band mix). I am considering getting a 20112 also. Do you think there would be too much overlap with the 20112 given the 5112 and 35310?

Glaze
05-23-2007, 11:04 AM
I have both a 5112 (great for practice, fantastic power tube breakup) and 35310 (wonderful warm clean headroom, really cuts through for lead in a band mix). I am considering getting a 20112 also. Do you think there would be too much overlap with the 20112 given the 5112 and 35310?

Guitarz

I personally prefer the clean tone of the 3x10 Tweed Bandmaster(Victoria's 35310) over all the Tweed models ever made. I do prefer the 4x10 Tweed Bassman overall for overdriven tones though and the clean tones on the Bassman are excellent also. If I could have only one Tweed it would be the 4x10 Bassman because it is my favorite overall.

The 3x10 Bandmaster sounds completely different than the Tweed Deluxe. You will have a 'little' tone overlap with the Tweed Deluxe and the Tweed Champ.

Mike

guitarz_dave
05-23-2007, 11:28 AM
Mike - Thanks for responding to my post.

I will defintely keep the 35310 bandmaster. Absolutely love the cleans on it, as you mentioned.

However, I am thinking of either buying a 20112 (Deluxe) and selling the 5112 (Champ), or just keeping the Champ and not buying a Deluxe. Of the two, which would you recommend?

Glaze
05-23-2007, 12:13 PM
Mike - Thanks for responding to my post.

I will defintely keep the 35310 bandmaster. Absolutely love the cleans on it, as you mentioned.

However, I am thinking of either buying a 20112 (Deluxe) and selling the 5112 (Champ), or just keeping the Champ and not buying a Deluxe. Of the two, which would you recommend?

Dave

That is a tough one. The tweed champ is cool because it sounds so great for overdriven tones at low volume for playing at home. The Deluxe will be far louder, will overdrive in a similar way(but different) and be more responsive. Many players prefer the Deluxe out of all the tweeds and it is a great amp. I'm more of a 4x10 Bassman guy and the Bandmaster is my second favorite. It's just a tone preference.

Twins are too clean for me. I like some overdriven sweetness in my clean sound and that is what the Bandmaster does so well while also being able to deliver more overdriven tones also. The tweed Bandmaster is just a sweet sounding amp. The Deluxe will have far less clean headroom than your Bandmaster when you turn the Deluxe up, but that is why people love the Deluxe(for it's overdriven tones). You can clean a Deluxe up with the volume control on your guitar while playing through the Deluxe turned up of course, but it will be much different than your Bandmaster in the gain, tone and headroom department. That is what you want though, something completely different. You might miss the Champ if you sell it though just for the sheer great overdriven tones at low volume thing. The Deluxe will be far louder than the Champ. I know one guy who can actually play live with a Deluxe without going through the P.A. depending on the size of the club. He will go through the P.A. if its a big place. This is an older experienced guitarist playing in a band that is not trying to be too loud and the Deluxe can pull it off in the very small clubs in his band. The drummer decides if this works at all volume wise. A loud drummer can over power a Deluxe volume wise and it will not work unless you go through a P.A. sound system.

Mike

guitarz_dave
05-23-2007, 07:36 PM
Mike,

Appreciate your further reply.

I a/b'ed them today. While the Deluxe does have more headroom than the Champ, it's cleans are not as good as the Bandmaster. Also, while the breakup on the Deluxe is very good, the same on the Champ is magical. Thus, I think it is best to keep the Champ and not get the Deluxe in my case.

In any case, Victoria amps are great :JAM

LHakim
05-23-2007, 10:55 PM
Dave
The tweed champ is cool because it sounds so great for overdriven tones at low volume for playing at home. The Deluxe will be far louder, will overdrive in a similar way(but different) and be more responsive.
Could you (or anyone else) describe more fully the differences in tone between the 5112 and 5E3 Deluxe.

Shark Sandwich
05-24-2007, 12:30 AM
I can't comment on the overlap between the 5112 and 20112, but I do have a Vicky 518 (8" champ) and a 20112 and I can say that they're quite different, tone-wise. I love the champ, it's small, light, and sounds just amazing cranked up. It's my bedroom amp while the 20112 I keep in the basement where I can turn it up a bit. The 20112 is still not that loud even when cranked. They're both fantastic amps. I have a new Regal II that is amazing as well and way different than the tweeds. I also have Reverberato unit. Can you tell I like Victorias? I think a V front Super (35210) is next on my list (the one with the old style metal bar in front--they look so cool:AOK )

Glaze
05-24-2007, 12:07 PM
Mike,

Appreciate your further reply.

I a/b'ed them today. While the Deluxe does have more headroom than the Champ, it's cleans are not as good as the Bandmaster. Also, while the breakup on the Deluxe is very good, the same on the Champ is magical. Thus, I think it is best to keep the Champ and not get the Deluxe in my case.

In any case, Victoria amps are great :JAM

I think for just at home playing you are making the right decision. The Victoria Champ has fantastic overdriven tones at low volumes.

Mike

Glaze
05-24-2007, 12:34 PM
I can't comment on the overlap between the 5112 and 20112, but I do have a Vicky 518 (8" champ) and a 20112 and I can say that they're quite different, tone-wise. I love the champ, it's small, light, and sounds just amazing cranked up. It's my bedroom amp while the 20112 I keep in the basement where I can turn it up a bit. The 20112 is still not that loud even when cranked. They're both fantastic amps. I have a new Regal II that is amazing as well and way different than the tweeds. I also have Reverberato unit. Can you tell I like Victorias? I think a V front Super (35210) is next on my list (the one with the old style metal bar in front--they look so cool:AOK )

Shark

I'll put a Victoria 4x10 Bassman up against anything when it comes to sheer tone. I have played that amp side by side many vintage and high end amps and the Victoria always sounds as good or quite a bit better in the tone department(I have never heard an amp that had better tone than the Vicky Bassman). It's amazing those 50's tweed amp designs sound so incredible. I'm a big vintage Marshall fan also.

The Reverberato is very cool.

Mike

Glaze
05-24-2007, 12:35 PM

Shark

I'll put a Victoria 4x10 Bassman up against anything when it comes to sheer tone. I have played that amp side by side many vintage and high end amps and the Victoria always sounds as good or quite a bit better in the tone department(I have never heard an amp that had better tone than the Vicky Bassman). It's amazing those 50's tweed amp designs sound so incredible. I'm a big vintage Marshall fan also.

The Reverberato is very cool.

Mike

brianf
05-24-2007, 04:57 PM
Try one first if you can. The 35310 is Marks best amp in my opinion. (Maybe the Regal).

I was a bit surprised how quickly a 20112 breaks up with humbuckers. Other than that what tone. Real early ZZ Top tone. I guess you could put 12AT7's in it to give a touch more headroom.

Also call Mark Baier at Victoria. He loves answering these kind of questions.

brianf

GenoBluzGtr
05-24-2007, 05:41 PM
I have a vicky 20112 and I think it will fit very nicely between the Champ and Bandmaster. It has enough clean to do recordings and coffee house gigs unmic'd and mic'd it will hold up well in small to medium clubs and remain fairly clean. I put a 12AY7 in V1 and a 5751 in V2 and it stays clean to about 4 or 5 on the dial, depending on where the tone is set. SCs hold out the cleans longer of course.

The 20112 will overlap both amps to a degree. You will get great OD at 5-6 or louder and by 7-8 the volume has topped out, further on it just gets dirtier. I have a Bassman (RI converted to PTP) and the 20112 is perfect to go right up to where the Bassman takes over. the cleans are a bit different, but the ODs are similar (6V6s vs 5881s).

With an alnico speaker, the 20112 is only about 25 - 26 lbs... can't get much lighter than that for an amp that you can gig with at most venues.

pbradt
05-24-2007, 05:43 PM
They're all different. A Deluxe clone will be great for bar gigs.

However, before you buy the Vicky, contact Clay Hullett (Clay@HullettAmps.com) and see what he can do for you. I've had mine for 10 years and it's been the best amp I've ever bought.

pbradt
05-24-2007, 05:50 PM
Try one first if you can. The 35310 is Marks best amp in my opinion. (Maybe the Regal).

I was a bit surprised how quickly a 20112 breaks up with humbuckers. Other than that what tone. Real early ZZ Top tone. I guess you could put 12AT7's in it to give a touch more headroom.

Also call Mark Baier at Victoria. He loves answering these kind of questions.

brianf
A NOS 12AY7 in V1 will make it far nicer with more headroom and articulation.

mad dog
05-24-2007, 08:27 PM
Guitarz: I have a 3x10 also, the Clark Tyger, and share your appreciation for this particular tweed. For me that alternate tweed to get is the Pro. Not that much different as a circuit (if at all) from the bandmaster, but feels and sounds very different because of that 15. My tweed pro sorta amp is a Sewell Wampus Cat, no tweed on the outside but very much inspired by the Pro.

These are the indispensible tweeds for me. Though I wouldn't mind having a deluxe too.

Boogie92801
07-29-2007, 11:06 PM
The 20112 with a 12AY in V1 and a Red Fang will give you more head room and volume. I blew the Jensen within a half hour of getting mine and i think the knob was only at about 9 with a tele. The Red Fang won't blow and is a much more efficient speaker (though it also adds some weight and is a pain to install).

Great sounding amp - now I want a 35310.