PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Buckley & his Amps...

iwanthelp
05-23-2007, 12:13 PM
I love Jeff Buckley but something is bugging me about the amps he used. My understanding is that he used a Vibroverb 63 reissue for his cleans, I love my Fender cleans but have never tried a vibroverb. My understanding is that the Vibroverb is not a point to point amp and at the time he used a it was simply a mass produced Fender model...perhaps quite exciting as a reissue and something 'new' I suppose....

I always think of his cleans as 'very clean' thus I would of though he would go for a twin or something as my understanding is the Vibroverb RI breaks up fairly early. I don't know what anyone elses thoughts are are his cleans perhaps a bit warmer than I am giving them credit for?

Basically what I'm getting at is why do you think he went for this amp at that time as it doesn't seem anything amazing?

Is it more the case that he simply didn't give a shit as he was such a player he would sound good through anything.....that probably a large part:o

wodka
05-23-2007, 01:38 PM
I'm sure he went based off of what sounded good and didn't worry about how the amp was wired. I don't think gear was a great concern. He didn't even own the tele he played. It was on long-term loan from some school. Of course, at times he played with a lot of reverb so that may be why he used that amp.

johnnySRZ
05-23-2007, 01:44 PM
On the Live in Chicago DVD he was playing a Boogie. Looked like a Blue Angel. He was using what looked like an Alesis Quadraverb too. I don't think he cared that much about his tone either - it was simply something to accompany his incredible voice I would say. Who knows really..

Tallhorses
05-23-2007, 02:00 PM
Basically what I'm getting at is why do you think he went for this amp at that time as it doesn't seem anything amazing?

Is it more the case that he simply didn't give a shit as he was such a player he would sound good through anything.....that probably a large part:o

Great players can get their tone out of anything. Check the Marc Ford article in VG this month. His music wasn't really about the "tone" anyway... it's about feeling...soul and the vocals. Check out Live at Sine'.

Lution
05-23-2007, 02:07 PM
On the Live in Chicago DVD he was playing a Boogie. Looked like a Blue Angel. He was using what looked like an Alesis Quadraverb too. I don't think he cared that much about his tone either - it was simply something to accompany his incredible voice I would say. Who knows really..

Actually, on the Live in Chicago DVD Buckley was using a Mesa Tremoverb for his overdrive and the Fender Vibroverb RI for his cleans. He also had a backup of each on the stage.

thesedaze
05-23-2007, 02:37 PM
The reissue used 12's, but if you get a 15" vibroverb, or even the 12's....throw in some JBL's and you'll have no problem with cleans.

rewt_
05-23-2007, 02:38 PM
Right, he used the Mesa and the Fender live. In the studio for Grace, he used a rented Vibroverb since his sounded so bad recorded that they gave up on it. I would guess that Jeff did care about his tone, but that he was a performer first, so he didn't get lost in the meaningless details like many of us do. Cool, and more importantly, appropriate tone for what he did IMO, it got his point across.

sws1
05-24-2007, 06:13 AM
I don't think about tone at all when I hear Jeff. He is ALL about the playing and singing. Can't say that about too many other guitar players. He's amazing.

The Zeppelin cover on Live at Sin-E gives me chills, especially when he just keeps singing higher and higher. Damn.

aaronlowen
05-24-2007, 07:48 AM
The reissue used 12's, but if you get a 15" vibroverb, or even the 12's....throw in some JBL's and you'll have no problem with cleans.

Actually the '63 reissue used 10's not 12's, the '64 had the 15 but it is a different circut all together. I had the pcb torn out of my '63 reissue and had it rewired ptp. What I find a little surprising is that my vibroverb was never a "really clean" amp. It started to break up pretty early even with a strat... now it breaks up even earlier.... was a nice clean sound though.

Griz
05-24-2007, 08:54 PM

Pair of 10's in the '63 Brown Vibroverb RI, I believe.

smallcrap
05-24-2007, 10:18 PM
Actually, on the Live in Chicago DVD Buckley was using a Mesa Tremoverb for his overdrive and the Fender Vibroverb RI for his cleans

Yup, true.

thesedaze
05-25-2007, 09:50 AM
Ah my bad...10's it is! Throwing a bigger speaker like the d130 in there might help a bit w/ the breakup being so early, but ya it's not going to handle like a twin. Low volume w/ a mic on there might help out some...but then you're missing the 'character' of the amp.

z3
05-25-2007, 09:58 AM
i still have my '63 vibroverb RI, modded w/ mercury magnetics iron and kendrick 10" blackframes.
it starts to break up at 10:30 -11:00 o'clock on the volume but if U plug into the 'low' input there's quite a bit more head room and the cleans are very nice and certainly loud enough for most occasions.
i like the cleans so much on the amp that i don't feel the need to have one fender blackface amp anymore...

bobbradley
12-09-2011, 05:42 PM
wow, its funny to read these older threads none of the posters on this subject seem to realize it was the early 90's before boutique amps and effects were popular at all. fender mesa and marshall amps were the standard work horses and vintage was still fairly rare to see around, as the internet was still a baby remember!!!! bottom line jeff most def cared about his tone and they were perfectly crafted as you can here on the albums,live,etc. fender cleans often sound like fender cleans some of the reissues are not as far away from the originals as some may think. after very little tweaking (tubes,speaker) my deluxe R.I almost sounds as good as my 66 deluxe.......almost.

michael.e
12-09-2011, 06:22 PM
i still have my '63 vibroverb RI, modded w/ mercury magnetics iron and kendrick 10" blackframes.
it starts to break up at 10:30 -11:00 o'clock on the volume but if U plug into the 'low' input there's quite a bit more head room and the cleans are very nice and certainly loud enough for most occasions.
i like the cleans so much on the amp that i don't feel the need to have one fender blackface amp anymore...

I miss MJ..

Killcrop
12-09-2011, 06:46 PM
The boutique market didn't really get going until the mid 90s. In 95 the Tremoverb would have been considered top of the line. I can't imagine, before Grace, Jeff having any significant cash. So he probably had to scrape to get the Tremoverb, making him a gear hound.

The 63 vibroverb is killer btw.