PDA

View Full Version : Most authentic sounding humbucker size P90?

LaXu
05-25-2007, 10:16 AM
I want to replace the pickups in my Yamaha Pacifica 1511 (Mike Stern sig. model). It's basically a telecaster with a bit different body shape. Ash body, maple neck/fretboard. It has a full size humbucker in the neck (SD '59 Model) and a single coil sized one in the bridge (SD Hot Rails).

The reason why I want to change the pickups is that I've already got several humbucker guitars. I know, I could just sell it and get a G&L or something but I like the guitar otherwise and finding a nice tele with binding (a must for me) isn't that easy here in Europe.

So, since the pickguard is it's own thing I can't just buy a single coil or P90 routed replacement, it would have to be made from a blank and I don't feel like learning to do that or paying a pretty penny to have one made. Therefore I thought that a humbucker size P90 would be a good choice for the neck pickup.

What would be the most "authentic" classic P90 sounding humbucker sized model? And what about the bridge single coil pickup? What should I look for to have something that would complement the neck pickup well?

Pic for great justice:
http://www.saunalahti.fi/laxu/pics/yamaha_pacifica_1511-04.jpg

rawkguitarist
05-25-2007, 10:55 AM
I think the Harmonic Design Z90 (I think this is it) is supposed to be really cool. There's also the SD Phat Cat. Both I've never played, but Saul Koll sure seems to like the Z90. So does Bill Frisell.:AOK

edward
05-25-2007, 11:33 AM
I remember reading lots of praise for both the HD Z90 and the SD PhatCat on the LP Forum. These are single coil pups in a HB size that reportedly do the P90-thing pretty well. You may want to check it out and read those opinions for yourself.

Not sure of what would match these pups specifically, but FWIW I just dropped in an SD Broadcaster pup that's really big and "growly" sounding ...still replete with tele twang, but much more bottom and mid substantial than a "signature" tele tone. There are more powerful Tele bridge pups out there, but I think you're trying to match tone here if I'm not mistaken. Hope this helps. :)

Edward

Chris T
05-25-2007, 11:38 AM
I have a CIJ Albert Collins Tele I put a Duncan Alnico 2 in the bridge with a Phat Cat in the neck in place of the humbucker. They sound great in every position. The bridge has a fuller tone but still sounds like a Tele. The neck sounds like a vintage P90 to my ears. Combined they sound very sweet and they also hum cancel for quiet operation. I like the combined tone best of all..

http://members.aol.com/cwtugwell/acphat

thesedaze
05-25-2007, 12:07 PM
Z90 wouldn't be the most authentic sounding p90...it's definitely got it's own character. Lollar probably makes a decent one....

How about Kent Armstrong? I hear he makes one.

LaXu
05-25-2007, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the answers and keep 'em coming.

With the stock humbuckers this is actually the darkest sounding guitar I have. I find myself turning the resonance and bass controls down on my Diezel Einstein combo and turning up the presence and treble compared to any of my other guitars.

rorschah
05-25-2007, 12:19 PM
1: Z90 is not at all like a trad p90.

2. I have z90 in the neck of my tele.

3. That z90 is my favorite pickup ever.

It's got a big, even, huge tone. Unique - best desription I've heard is "a huge strat neck pup" but it's not like that, either. Not scooped, not middy - balanced. It can be beautiful, it can be rough - i use it for fingerpicking jazz, and for rock out thrash.

lollar p90 is a much trad p90 - i dig it a lot. very dynamic.

-thi

muddy
05-25-2007, 12:57 PM
a BIG thumbs up for the z90, whatevah it sounds like!

ml

Mikey Likes It
05-25-2007, 12:58 PM
I agree entirely with Rorschah - have a guitar with P-90s and that description nails it. Lollar's P-90s are very wide-spectrum and musical, too, but mkore vintage-sounding. The best "authentic" P-90 I've used is from Curt Novak (http://www.curtisnovak.com) and I think he can do one that's humbucker-sized. Check him out if you really want the true OLD P-90 sound. But if you want a big, musical-sounding pickup with lots of bottom and a gorgeous, transparent high end, try the Z-90.

Jon Silberman
05-25-2007, 04:13 PM
If $37.95@ for authentic tone interests you:

http://69.64.65.164/board/showpost.php?p=1971958&postcount=11

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1600/682310/11679599/191974115.jpg

saggybottom
05-25-2007, 07:42 PM
Stephens Design modern Kay-Bar. Sounds close to my Fralin 90's. A little less in the mids yet sweeter on top. Hard to describe.

http://www.sdpickups.com/specialty.shtml

Whiskeyrebel
05-25-2007, 07:58 PM
I put a GFS Dream 90 in at the neck on a Les Paul copy I have. It sounds really good. Comparing the tone to my old Melody Maker which has one old (60s maybe) P90 and one late-90s built P90 on it, I'd say that set close to the strings it will match the Gibson pickup's whallop and heft, and given more clearance from the strings it will match the Gibson's bite. The difference is with the genuine P90 you can align it to get more of a balance of the two qualities.

A fair bit of that may be due to me choosing a chrome covered GFS model for the Lori and having no cover on the MM's neck pickup, and also to differences in the inherent sounds of the two guitars. The GFS is a very good sounding pickup though and I recommend it.

teXum
05-26-2007, 06:35 AM
Fralin makes the P-92 and Twangmaster split singles, single-coil pickups in HB size. Haven't tried them myself, but the fact that Kurt Linhof/Jay Black uses them in the Linhof Special should indicate something about their quality.

LaXu
05-26-2007, 11:00 AM
So far the SD Phat Cat, Kent Armstrong and Häussel P90-HB seem like the best options. The Fralins and Lollars are way too expensive here and I'd rather not start ordering from abroad and dealing with customs.

Dana Olsen
05-26-2007, 11:34 AM
So far the SD Phat Cat, Kent Armstrong and Häussel P90-HB seem like the best options. The Fralins and Lollars are way too expensive here and I'd rather not start ordering from abroad and dealing with customs.Hey LaXu -

I don't know if there's a Harmonic Design dealer in Finland, but I truly think the HD Z-90 is a fab pickup. TGP member Mark Robinson built a Strat style guitar w/ 2 Z-90's which he loaned me for a couple months. I think the Z-90's, in that guitar, while they are their own thing, very much capture the feel of vintage P-90's, especially when you turn the vol down to "8" or so on the guitar.

Mark and I have done side-by-side comparisons w/ the real '50's P-90 guitars that we own; '56 LP Junior, '56 TV Special, '61 LP Special, and '60 LP Junior. While the Z-90 did not sound exactly like the old P-90's, especially turned all the way up (tons of gain in the Z's) they still made me feel like I was playing on an old one. They have tons of mojo, IMHO. I think they're excellent pickups. The neck position sounds very clear, no mud. The bridge is rad, IMHO.

G.E. Smith of SNL occasionally played an ES-335 w/ Z-90's on the show - it sounded totally wicked, IMHO. Very versatile.

Just my $.02, Dana O.

thesedaze
05-26-2007, 01:32 PM
I don't know that there are any HD dealers, are there? I thought Scott just takes direct orders from Bakersfield.

Jon Silberman
05-26-2007, 01:46 PM
I don't get some of the comments on this thread at all. The guy said he wanted authentic sounding HB size P90s. I'm serious, how can some of you possibly consider a Z90 to offer an authentic P90 sound? I owned 2 pairs and still have 1 set in an axe of mine. They're fine PUPs with an original tone. They sound nothing like trad P90s and will not satisfy the thread originator's expressed wishes for authentic, classic P90 tone.

mainsale
05-26-2007, 01:54 PM
I would heartily recommend the Lindy Fralin P-92 for the neck, and this is from experience! I stuck one into an American Tele that I was tweaking and the end result far, far exceeded my expectations! It became my favorite Tele from a tone standpoint! I would also recommend 4-way switching and I'm really liking the PigTail vintage bridge too!

:AOK

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b61/Mainsale/KEEFTELE001.jpg

LaXu
05-26-2007, 02:16 PM
I don't feel like paying 175€ ($230) for a single pickup, so the Fralin is out. Might consider Harmonic Design though, getting both pickups from them would turn out to be propably about 200€ after shipping and taxes.

Does anyone have experience with the HD Vintage Plus and Super 90 pickups and how they'd go with the Z90?

I'm always open to new ideas and every time I've decided to go for a vintage style tone pickups I usually end up with something a bit hotter.

Mike9
05-26-2007, 02:35 PM
I've had Phat Cats and they are OK, but the HB/P-90s I had from Pete Biltoft at Vintage Vibe Guitars were excellent. They really have that P-90 "thing" and Pete sent them out with both ceramic magnets and alnico magnets so you could swap them to your liking.

LaXu
05-26-2007, 02:45 PM
I've had Phat Cats and they are OK, but the HB/P-90s I had from Pete Biltoft at Vintage Vibe Guitars were excellent. They really have that P-90 "thing" and Pete sent them out with both ceramic magnets and alnico magnets so you could swap them to your liking.

Those are priced rather nicely too. Oh, decisions decisions...:BluesBros

RL in Fla
05-26-2007, 04:29 PM

+1 $145 a set and RWRP for absolute quiet in mid position .

arthur
05-26-2007, 04:54 PM
I've got HD Vintage Plusses in the Neck & Middle and a Super 90 in the bridge of my '50's classic. Great pickups.

Mikey Likes It
05-26-2007, 05:43 PM
I've got a LPS with Z-90s and a Strat with Vintage Plus - both guitars sound fantastic in their own way. Should go together well - what sort of combination are you considering?

Jon Silberman
05-26-2007, 09:08 PM
Does anyone have experience with the HD Vintage Plus and Super 90 pickups and how they'd go with the Z90?
Part of me says to give up on this thread - it doesn't appear I'm hearing what some of the rest here are - but what the heck, as I've owned both (still have a V+ in my Tele in the neck slot).

The V+ is a decent choice if you want a fatter, louder tone. Other good choices (to me, better, but nowhere is tone as subjective as among Tele afficionados) are the SD Broadcaster bridge PUP (I have one of these now in one of my axes and really dig it, very musical and totally Tele) or a Fender Custom Shop Nocaster bridge PUP (have it in my main Tele - the earlier 10.2K version), same positive comments.

The Super 90 is nothing like a true Tele PUP. I measured mine at over 15K ohms! It did not have Tele tone at all. Much more like a P90. If that's what you want, go for it, for me, it defeated the purpose of owning a Tele in the first place.

And a Z90 is not authentic, classic P90 tone. Personally, I'd not use one as a Tele neck PUP. You'd be much better off with a minihumbucker in my view.

Dana Olsen
05-26-2007, 10:19 PM
Part of me says to give up on this thread - it doesn't appear I'm hearing what some of the rest here are - but what the heck, as I've owned both (still have a V+ in my Tele in the neck slot).

The V+ is a decent choice if you want a fatter, louder tone. Other good choices (to me, better, but nowhere is tone as subjective as among Tele afficionados) are the SD Broadcaster bridge PUP (I have one of these now in one of my axes and really dig it, very musical and totally Tele) or a Fender Custom Shop Nocaster bridge PUP (have it in my main Tele - the earlier 10.2K version), same positive comments.

The Super 90 is nothing like a true Tele PUP. I measured mine at over 15K ohms! It did not have Tele tone at all. Much more like a P90. If that's what you want, go for it, for me, it defeated the purpose of owning a Tele in the first place.

And a Z90 is not authentic, classic P90 tone. Personally, I'd not use one as a Tele neck PUP. You'd be much better off with a minihumbucker in my view.Hey John - How ya doin?

Yeah, I guess our ears are different. When comparing P-90's to the Z-90's, we thought they all sounded 'of a piece'. I didn't notice that much more difference between the Z and P than there was between the 4 original P-90 guitars - as always, YMMV, and it sounds like it did. The Z-90's feel like P-90's to me when playing Mark's guitar.

I agree that a Z-90 in the neck won't sound much like a traditional Tele pickup.

Maybe there's more variation in Z-90s than we're aware of. Or, maybe the wood in Mark's Strat style build brings the Z-90's closer to the mahogany P-90 guitars we were comparing to it ... Hell, I have a pal who put in a Gibson P-90 as the middle p/u in a Nashville Tele. It doesn't sound like any P OR Z 90 I've ever heard anywhere else either. Go Figure.

I think the Fralin P-92 sounds wonderful too. Not exactly P-90, but great. I agree that the Super 90 is not a traditional Tele style p/u, much like the Fralin Steel Poles or the Harmonic Design variants.

LaZu - do the P-90's have to be HB sized for this project?

Thanks all, Dana O.

Jon Silberman
05-26-2007, 10:32 PM
Hey John - How ya doin?

Yeah, I guess our ears are different. When comparing P-90's to the Z-90's, we thought they all sounded 'of a piece'. I didn't notice that much more difference between the Z and P than there was between the 4 original P-90 guitars - as always, YMMV, and it sounds like it did. The Z-90's feel like P-90's to me when playing Mark's guitar.
Hi, Dana. I'm doing great except for a nasty summer cold that has me chugging pseudopheds like candy tonight. :(

Yeah, we really to hear this one differently. In my case, I just recently directly replaced Z90s in my Reverend Rocco with Mean 90s and they were so different sounding which is why I'm not getting some of the other comments here. The Z90s - just as they are in my Godin LGX-SA where I still have a set - are huge sounding with a big bottom end and sizzling top with amazing output (volume) yet still incredibly well-defined (this is why I sometimes call them "Strat PUPs on steroids"). The Mean 90, by contrast, is very, very different sounding, a bit less output but way smoother top and mellower bottom end with big, fat mids - as a P90 should be.

Dana Olsen
05-26-2007, 11:11 PM
Hi, Dana. I'm doing great except for a nasty summer cold that has me chugging pseudopheds like candy tonight. :(

Yeah, we really to hear this one differently. In my case, I just recently directly replaced Z90s in my Reverend Rocco with Mean 90s and they were so different sounding which is why I'm not getting some of the other comments here. The Z90s - just as they are in my Godin LGX-SA where I still have a set - are huge sounding with a big bottom end and sizzling top with amazing output (volume) yet still incredibly well-defined (this is why I sometimes call them "Strat PUPs on steroids"). The Mean 90, by contrast, is very, very different sounding, a bit less output but way smoother top and mellower bottom end with big, fat mids - as a P90 should be.Summer colds suck, they're just as bad as winter ones (GRIN).

Thanks for your perspective and thoughts, and style. Folks, we all hear differently and play differently. There's not one and one only correct opinion on tone related things. There IS a lot of good, lively discussion about the elements of tone, and that's great.

Thanks Jon and everyone, feel 'mo 'bettah Jon, Dana O.

teXum
05-27-2007, 02:32 AM
If I could jump in: anyone care to comment on how the Fralin P-92 sounds, compared to the classic '50s tele neck sound (ala Nocaster/Fred Stuart neck pups)?

Jef Bardsley
05-27-2007, 05:22 AM
I can't offer comparisons, but I do have a Phat Cat in the neck of my Les Paul (which has a maple neck, so it's not that different from a Tele). It's a "sweet" P-90 sound, and just perfect for what I want the neck to do - offer a change from the raw rasp of the bridge pup (a JB). I think you'd be very pleased with one in your Yamaha.

LaXu
05-27-2007, 05:57 AM
LaZu - do the P-90's have to be HB sized for this project?

Yes. As you can see from the first pic the pickguard on the guitar is not a standard tele fair so if I wanted to fit a regular P90 or even a single coil in there I'd have to get a custom pickguard made and possibly have the body routed (haven't looked under the pickguard to see how the body is routed). I'd also like to keep the bridge that's on it (Wilkinson WT3). Changing those would cost too much.

I think I'm going to go for something other than the Harmonic Design pickups. I'm looking to get away from the current humbucker sound. I don't own a P90 guitar so I was thinking of killing two birds with one stone and getting some of that P90 sound as well as traditional tele twang without increasing my already too large collection of guitfiddles.

So at the moment the Vintage Vibe pickups are the top contender. Any other brands with similar pricing that I should look for?

Jon Silberman
05-27-2007, 07:22 AM
FWIW, LaXu (interesting name, BTW), in the Reverend axe of mine below, the bridge PUP is a SD Broadcaster and the neck PUP is a SD Jazz. One of the two minitoggles splits the Jazz. As you may know, the Jazz is similar-sounding to the '59 but a bit brighter. I absolutely love this combination, they fit together well whether the HB is full or split mode.

In full mode, interestingly, the PUPs become the only non-HD ones that ever actually sound to me like a HD Z90. You get all the output of the HB with the top end sizzle of the Broadcaster, it's a wonderful tone, as I mentioned, similar to that of a Z90.

With the Jazz split, the tone is made for rockabilly.

And of course, as you'll know if you use the Search function for both the Broadcaster and Jazz PUPs, each by itself sounds great.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1600/682310/2949318/251893501.jpg

LaXu
05-27-2007, 08:21 AM
FWIW, LaXu (interesting name, BTW), in the Reverend axe of mine below, the bridge PUP is a SD Broadcaster and the neck PUP is a SD Jazz. One of the two minitoggles splits the Jazz. As you may know, the Jazz is similar-sounding to the '59 but a bit brighter. I absolutely love this combination, they fit together well whether the HB is full or split mode.

I've got a Jazz in my Flaxwood and it is definitely a great pickup. It sounds really good when split too. Neat Reverend you've got there!

PS. The nickname comes from my surname.

hollowbody
05-27-2007, 08:59 AM
Let me speak up for the Haussels.
The ones I have are very "underwound" but sound very much like vintage pickups when the volume knob is turned up.
If you're in Finland it will be easy listen to how they sound in Juha's guitars.

Dave Orban
05-27-2007, 09:49 AM
Pete Biltoft (www.vintagevibeguitars.com) has an excellent 'bucker-sized P90 that is affordable and sounds great. Plus, Pete is a sweetheart of a gui to deal with. :dude

Jon Silberman
05-27-2007, 11:04 AM
Interesting you should post that website, Dave. A while back I was interested in a particular PUP of his so I called him and left a message on his answering machine asking for a price quote. He replied and left me a message asking me to call him back. I did, missed him again, and again asked for a price quote on the PUP. He called me back and left me another message asking me to call him back, again without the price quote. At that point, I figured, if he's afraid to speak a 3-4 syllable price into the telephone when I've asked for it twice, it's probably more than I want to pay. So I never called back. An example, in my view, of how to lose business by failing to respond to the customer's simple request for info. This experience, of course, bears no relevance to the quality of his work.

stevieboy
05-27-2007, 11:37 AM
I ordered a pickup from Pete, one of his humbucker sized single coil blade pickups similar to the CC, on the net and got immediate confirmation emails, asked a clarifying question, heard right back, and the pickup arrived in less than a week. Asked another question, got an email back right away. I never called him, but I've read a lot of posts about him on the TDPRI and Jon's is the first I've seen that complained about having trouble getting in touch with him. I don't doubt Jon of course, but I don't think his experience was typical from what I've seen.

That's a great pickup by the way, not a P90, but in the ballpark, a little clearer maybe. I've got it in the neck of a tele type partscaster with a Harmonic Design S90 in the bridge--very cool guitar.

Dave Orban
05-27-2007, 12:53 PM
Interesting you should post that website, Dave. A while back I was interested in a particular PUP of his so I called him and left a message on his answering machine asking for a price quote. He replied and left me a message asking me to call him back. I did, missed him again, and again asked for a price quote on the PUP. He called me back and left me another message asking me to call him back, again without the price quote. At that point, I figured, if he's afraid to speak a 3-4 syllable price into the telephone when I've asked for it twice, it's probably more than I want to pay. So I never called back. An example, in my view, of how to lose business by failing to respond to the customer's simple request for info. This experience, of course, bears no relevance to the quality of his work.I certainly don't know the specifics of your situation, but I can tell you that Pete's prices are probably LOWER than ANYone else's, so I don't think that's what was the issue.

I've had nothing but good experience with both Pete and his pickups, and it's not like I buy them by the dozen, or anything like that. SO, to rule him out because he didn't behave on a phone voicemail message in the way you expected him to is kind of like cutting off your nose to spite your face... ;)

Jon Silberman
05-27-2007, 03:27 PM
Thanks for your input, guys, which convinces me that my experience was an abberation. I already bought the type of PUP I was interested in the last time around from another PUP builder but will give Pete another try the next chance I get. :)

rawkguitarist
05-27-2007, 08:29 PM
Regarding "classic P90" tone, here's a little anecdote. I emailed Steve Blucher at Dimarzio asking which I'd get the best "classic P90" tone out of in one of his humbuckers either the Bluesbucker or the Virtual P90... he said well, it's kinda hard to say what is classic P90 tone cause the old P90 pickups were so inconsistent...

I have not the experience to say this is correct, but just an interesting tid bit.

AaeCee
05-27-2007, 08:41 PM
If I could jump in: anyone care to comment on how the Fralin P-92 sounds, compared to the classic '50s tele neck sound (ala Nocaster/Fred Stuart neck pups)?I've had P-92s in a Tele, and just as others have said about the Z-90s, the P-92s sound great, but are clearly not like P-90s. They are really their own thing. They have a bit more bite or twang than most humbuckers, and terrific clarity on every string, but IMO are still closer to 'bucker territory than P-90. As compared to a regular Tele neck SC?.....as different as a humbucker.

Dave Orban
05-27-2007, 09:07 PM
Regarding "classic P90" tone, here's a little anecdote. I emailed Steve Blucher at Dimarzio asking which I'd get the best "classic P90" tone out of in one of his humbuckers either the Bluesbucker or the Virtual P90... he said well, it's kinda hard to say what is classic P90 tone cause the old P90 pickups were so inconsistent...

I have not the experience to say this is correct, but just an interesting tid bit.
It's not just a "tidbit". I've played/owned over a dozen vintage P90 guitars, and no two P90s were the same. They all share some characteristics, but some have been thick and woolly, while others have been clear and bright, with just a hint of whiskers.

So I do tend to smile when I hear that some pickup maker or other claims to have nailed "the" P90 recipe. ;)

TNO
05-28-2007, 05:08 AM
GFS Mean 90s. Warm,fat but still clear. Sound good clean or overdriven.

Jon Silberman
05-28-2007, 08:23 AM
At last, a "second" for my Mean 90 recommendation! Hey, I know "they can't possibly compete with any of the other options here, how could they at $37.95 @?!" but, as they say in the old country, sometimes you can find the light in the strangest of places if you look for it right. :)

On P90 variability, of course that's true but, frankly, I think we understand what most people mean when they request "classic, authentic P90 tone." They're not looking for a sparkly super Strat PUP, they want a fat, clear, warm tone. Again, this is what, in my experience, most people, in my experience, think of as the standard for classic P90 tone.

Dave Orban
05-28-2007, 08:48 AM
At last, a "second" for my Mean 90 recommendation! Hey, I know "they can't possibly compete with any of the other options here, how could they at $37.95 @?!" but, as they say in the old country, sometimes you can find the light in the strangest of places if you look for it right. :)

On P90 variability, of course that's true but, frankly, I think we understand what most people mean when they request "classic, authentic P90 tone." They're not looking for a sparkly super Strat PUP, they want a fat, clear, warm tone. Again, this is what, in my experience, most people, in my experience, think of as the standard for classic P90 tone.
If that's the case, why then do folks fawn over Lollars, which sound like NO vintage P90 I've ever played through...?

Not that they sound "bad", but they don't sound like a vintage P90 at ALL... IMO. ;)

Go Cat Go!!
05-28-2007, 10:02 AM
I have Pete's Vintage Vibe P-90's in a 1990's MIJ Charvel. They're great pickups. They clean up really nice and yet allow me to grind out some heavy blues when the mood hits me. They're very versatile pickups and the construction is top notch. Pete is a great guy to deal with as well. I had what I thought was a bad pickup. I contacted him by e-mail. He said send me the pickup, I'll repair it if I can if not I'll replace it. He has one satisfied consumer with me.

gadjet
05-29-2007, 03:13 PM
I've had Phat Cats, Rio Bastards and the Kent Armstrongs.... I think the Armstrongs where the closest in traditional tone... The Phat Cats were the weakest output with the Rio's probably the strongest... I have a Hamer FM I would like to put the Kent's in but Hamer didn't route the guitar quite large enough for pickups with covers...

Jon Silberman
05-29-2007, 06:28 PM
If that's the case, why then do folks fawn over Lollars, which sound like NO vintage P90 I've ever played through...?

Not that they sound "bad", but they don't sound like a vintage P90 at ALL... IMO. ;)

>> they don't sound like a vintage P90 at ALL.

Same w/Z90s which is to say, Dave, you just totally agreed with my point (people know when new stock PUPs, love 'em or hate 'em, don't sound like a vintage P90 which they know precisely the standard sound for!). :)

Dave Orban
05-29-2007, 06:36 PM
>> they don't sound like a vintage P90 at ALL.

Same w/Z90s which is to say, Dave, you just totally agreed with my point (people know when new stock PUPs, love 'em or hate 'em, don't sound like a vintage P90 which they know precisely the standard sound for!). :)

It's not so much that there's a "standard" sound for a vintage P90, because they are fairly different from one another. Still, there are some unifying characteristics... But NONE of Lollars I've played come anywhere near close to ANY of the vintage P90s I've played.

Jon Silberman
05-29-2007, 07:29 PM
Now I'm really getting P.O.'d with you because you're making me extremely curious to try some Lollars and my finances are not up to snuff! :D

Dave Orban
05-29-2007, 08:03 PM
LOL!

Don't get me wrong, I like Lollars... for what they are.

They just don't sound "vintage" to me. ;)

Jef Bardsley
05-30-2007, 05:43 AM
Now I'm really getting P.O.'d with you because you're making me extremely curious to try some Lollars and my finances are not up to snuff! :D
That's right. If your finances were up to me, you'd be buying those Lollars!

Thinking about all this though... I realised my idea of "vintage P-90 sound" also included the sound of the 50's old growth wood. I really have no clue what an old P-90 would sound like in new wood.

I'm also thinking that while I love mine, the Phat Cats are potted, so they wouldn't really be my choice for a "vintage" sound. You could order an Antiquity Phat Cat from Duncan's custom shop. That might do the trick.