PDA

View Full Version : WCR Darkburst or Goodwood?

joafink2
05-30-2007, 08:45 PM
I'm trying to figure out what WCR pups to put in my Gibson Les Paul R8... so far i've narrowed it down to these 2... what do you guys think?

Kidcactus
05-30-2007, 09:02 PM
I've had both in my Les Paul bridge position. Darkburst is thinner and brighter. Goodwood is balanced and full. Sold the Darkburst and still have the Goodwood. All guitars are different.

SuperReverb2
05-30-2007, 09:09 PM
Why limit your choice to WCR pickups? Nothing wrong with them at all by the way, as I think there are GREAT, but I just put a set of Wolfetone Dr Vintage pups in my Heritage H-150CM, and they are just about the BEST LP pickups I've ever heard.

Just a thought.......

:)

jamison162
05-30-2007, 09:24 PM
Why limit your choice to WCR pickups? Nothing wrong with them at all by the way, as I think there are GREAT, but I just put a set of Wolfetone Dr Vintage pups in my Heritage H-150CM, and they are just about the BEST LP pickups I've ever heard.

Just a thought.......

:)

That's great SR! But give us a standard of reference. Like how do they compare/differ to the Goodwoods? Have you previously owned the Goodwoods? For all we know the DV's could be your first aftermarket boutique pickup purchase ever. Before we start throwing out the usual suspects let's keep it all in perspective know what I mean.

planetal
05-30-2007, 09:30 PM
Between the two (goodwood and darkburst) I tend to prefer the goodwood in the bridge postion. The goodwood is just a bit fuller to my ears, although the darkburst is really close. Currently I have two LP's with goodwoods and one with a darkburst in the bridge. I'm still searching for my fav neck pickup.. might be the crossroads.

Scott Peterson
05-30-2007, 10:18 PM
I love both the Darkburst and the Goodwood; but of them the almighty Goodwood gives up the grease the best to me. They just put to shame most every other pickup I hear. I had Darkbursts in my Hamer for years; and loved them in that guitar. It's about the right tonal 'fit' and honestly the only way to know is to try them.

The Goodwood is my A-1 go-to pickup for anything; just works in every thing I've ever tried it in. In my particular Hamer though, the Darkburst just smoked and I never tried another pickup in that guitar.

GreenTea
05-31-2007, 06:29 AM
After several combinations of p/u's, for one particular Les Paul Standard I have, I settled on a combination of a WCR darkburst in the bridge and a WCR crossroads in the neck. No weakness here because tone is subjective... the real strength in addition to the hilariously grand tone is the GREAT balance! Fat and full, baby... fat and full. So, you might want to consider mixing and matching (that's what gave me the balance I was really looking for in this guitar). WCR's rock in my guitar.

For my 03 R8 lester, I dropped in a set of aged RS Fralins. My jaw dropped when I heard the difference. Woody, reedy, rawky (is that a word?) and sweet. Dig them. Nuf’ said.

(BTW, I gave both of these six-stringed boxes the upgraded pots/wiring job; that seemed to help with sonic clarity, if that makes sense).

Between the wire reports I've seen re the Dr Vintage and my FANTASTIC experiences with Jim at WCR and the good folks at RS Guitarworks, you have some neat choices.

So, with the stock p/u's, what character does your guitar exhibit? Is it dull? Is it unbalanced? Does it highlight the "kerrrang" factor already? If you've got an OK guitar that needs some soul enhancing, pick up a set of WCRs. But, seeing that you have an R8 (I'll go out on a limb and assume it's wood and ring are already stellar), you might want to take a chance on a set of Dr. V's or the RS Fralins.

big mike
05-31-2007, 07:55 AM
Goodwood with an A2 magnet is my go to as well.

GuitarsFromMars
05-31-2007, 09:07 AM
I'm trying to figure out what WCR pups to put in my Gibson Les Paul R8... so far i've narrowed it down to these 2... what do you guys think?

Well.I see several of the usual WCR fanboy suspects have started the roll call.I have a slightly different take on this.Use a DarkBurst in the neck,and a Goodwood in the bridge.You will find the string separation to be unparalleled,the tone is well within the confines of a real nice set of PAF's with the ability to get even a touch more variation depending on the wiring of the guitar.I found that while gigging out a lot,the DB bridge wasn't quite enough(I told Wags I needed a pickup that wasn't louder,just with more A$$).The DB neck is the best sounding neck humbucker I have ever heard,including several PAF's,that are now too expensive for the working musician.Jim Wagner sells a quality,you can no longer get in a regular store.When you want excellence in the tone,call Wags.

John Phillips
05-31-2007, 10:08 AM
I don't want to cause offense (and I hope this is not an unnecessarily negative post), so please don't take this the wrong way - but if you haven't heard either of these pickups (which I'm assuming you haven't if you want opinions on which to use) - how do you know you want WCRs? These two pickups are quite different too.

They are the only WCRs I've heard, and I didn't like either of them. No offense to Mr. Wagner, I'm sure they're well-made and many people do like them, but I did not, and surprisingly for nearly opposite reasons, although they did have a common characteristic. I tried both sets in a friend's Les Paul, and the Goodwoods later in my PRS Custom 22. The Darkbursts I thought were too weak and thin-sounding, and the Goodwoods too compressed and muddy. The Goodwood bridge was probably the one I disliked least, but not enough to leave it in the guitar. Both types appeared rather flat, bland and lacking in boldness and punch to me. I took them out and went straight back to my usual Duncans ('59 and Custom Custom) - and instantly got the right sound back. It wasn't a small difference.

Just my opinion of course.

big mike
05-31-2007, 10:20 AM
Valid points John, nothing is all things to everyone. I didn't care for Jim's pickups in one of my PRS either, but in my thorn, they're perfect for me.

I use the A2 loaded goodwood and a moore/green neck out of phase, and I'm very pleased with them.

GuitarsFromMars -- who you calling fanboy...TOWELBOY! :D

GuitarsFromMars
05-31-2007, 10:42 AM
That would be me,Junior...

Frethog
05-31-2007, 12:13 PM
You ask a question like this and you're always going to get conflicting reports. All we can do is relate our own experiences.

I have Darkbursts on my PRS Cu24 and the bridge seems to have incredible clarity and bite. When I go to the neck, I have to jack the treble on either the amp, or whatever OD I'm using (when I am using medium gain, it's ok at cleaner settings).

I should add that I have had the RS Guitarworks electronics upgrade as well.

jcground
05-31-2007, 03:19 PM
My Thorn (#105) has a pair of uncovered Goodwoods in it. It's likely the fact that the pickups are uncovered combined with the woods in the guitar itself, but they're pretty bright for humbuckers - definitely not muddy at all.

The advantage is that they sound great with the coils wired in parallel and in series (they've both got 4-lead wiring, and I had Ron wire them up with a 5-way to have easy access to a variety of tones). If I ever do anything to them, I may get some covers and try them that way. In the meantime, I feel like it's ok to have bright pickups. I can tame them with a simple twist of the tone if I feel the need.

By way of comparison, I've been very impressed with WCR Fillmores too. No experience with Crossroads or Darkbursts, but I do have a general idea of where they fit in the WCR spectrum. I know others who have his SR, Valkyrie, Herc and Shredder pickups. Jim makes nice stuff.

I've played two guitars that had custom wound Wolfetones in them, and both blew me completely away. If I was ordering another set of custom buckers today, they'd be from Wolfe. However, I don't plan to swap out my Goodwoods. It's nice to have variety. :)

Magooo
06-03-2007, 11:07 AM
Fillmores and Crossroads rock in Les Pauls!!!

Festus
06-03-2007, 03:10 PM
A couple of my guitars (Robin Avalon, Robin Savoy) have Darkburst bridge/Crossroad neck combos. Super versatile, nice amount of bite and lots of clarity.

A couple of guitars (another Robin Avalon, G&L Legacy) have Goodwood bridge/Darkburst neck combos. Yikes! Lots of muscle (for my taste, I don't care too much for super high output pickups), very versatile, the GW bridge has a nice beefy tone, cuts through great. The Darkburst neck has good clarity.

No mud anywhere. I did the RS superpot upgrades as well.

So...bottom line, it's a tough choice. DB/CR combo I would say is a good all around fit, the GW/DB combo has quite a bit more attitude.

Festus
06-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Funny...I find Duncan 59's and Custom Customs flat and 2 dimensional.

Seth Lovers, however, are pretty cool. I like those. Haven't tried Antiquities yet. Oh, but that's not what the original poster was asking about. He wanted to know about Darkbursts and Goodwoods. Silly me.

I don't want to cause offense (and I hope this is not an unnecessarily negative post), so please don't take this the wrong way - but if you haven't heard either of these pickups (which I'm assuming you haven't if you want opinions on which to use) - how do you know you want WCRs? These two pickups are quite different too.

They are the only WCRs I've heard, and I didn't like either of them. No offense to Mr. Wagner, I'm sure they're well-made and many people do like them, but I did not, and surprisingly for nearly opposite reasons, although they did have a common characteristic. I tried both sets in a friend's Les Paul, and the Goodwoods later in my PRS Custom 22. The Darkbursts I thought were too weak and thin-sounding, and the Goodwoods too compressed and muddy. The Goodwood bridge was probably the one I disliked least, but not enough to leave it in the guitar. Both types appeared rather flat, bland and lacking in boldness and punch to me. I took them out and went straight back to my usual Duncans ('59 and Custom Custom) - and instantly got the right sound back. It wasn't a small difference.

Just my opinion of course.

Jazzgear
04-25-2011, 10:55 PM
Rather than open a new thread...I am reviving this old old one.....

These have been in the market for a while now, and I am now considering these exact two pickups for m Les Paul. Actually, I am torn between going with GW/GW or DB/GW. I happen to like a thick lead tone that cuts through. But I like nice clarity in the neck for clean/Jazz type stuff.

Steve73
04-25-2011, 11:20 PM
Rather than open a new thread...I am reviving this old old one.....

These have been in the market for a while now, and I am now considering these exact two pickups for m Les Paul. Actually, I am torn between going with GW/GW or DB/GW. I happen to like a thick lead tone that cuts through. But I like nice clarity in the neck for clean/Jazz type stuff.

I have a Darkburst set in my LP (Warren Haynes sig- dressed up R8) and they are everything you are describing IMO. The Darkburst bridge has plenty of thickness with a nice sweet top end, very musical pickups, the best I've every tried.

Magi
04-26-2011, 08:38 PM
I've got the GW Bridge and DB neck in a Hamer. They are both fantastic. You can find a thread somewhere that compared like 20 different pickups and the Goodwoods came out the winner. FYI. It took a few weeks for mine to break in though. I was surprised at first and didn't realize pickups needed breaking in time. Unless mine were weird that is...