PDA

View Full Version : AER vs Schertler vs Fishman

guitarmanuk
06-20-2007, 07:15 AM
I want to use a set up with 2 amps with my Parker Fly. I have a Boogie for the HB side and have pretty much narrowed down my choice of acoustic amp to either the AER Compact 60, the Schertler David or the Fishman Loudbox.

They all come in at about the right money and they all have the 2 channels I want. I want to use it for the piezos on my Parker Fly on function band gigs and for guitar and sax on duo gigs. They all have the DI outs so I can add a SRM 450 for the duo if required to give a bit of headroom.

Has anyone tried any of these or even better had the chance to A/B any of them? I don't have a dealer close to me that carries all 3 of them or 2 of the 3 to be able to try them. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Troubleman
06-20-2007, 09:18 AM
AER to my ears, is the best sounding of the bunch...

jb

KLB
06-20-2007, 09:57 AM
AER! It is Tommy Emmanuel's choice.

I owned an Acousticube IIa for a while and that amp sounded fantastic.
If I get more into acoustic someday, I'll seek one again.

The other consideration besides ultimate tone is being able to match the volume with your other amp. I am guessing the Loudbox will go louder than the other two.

drbob1
03-29-2008, 11:22 AM
I've gone a very different way. I'm also using a Nitefly and I've tried a bunch of preamps and effects processors, always ending up with the same harsh, plasticky tone (I really prefer acoustics mic'd with a nice condensor to the sound of piezos). I finally found what I was looking for with the Fishman Aura preamp (or the Dtar Mama Bear if you'd rather). Both do a very good job of smoothing out the harshness and adding some of the sweetness and sparkle of a mic'd guitar. Sooo. what I have done is a setup of a mixer (I have an Alesis Mixwizard and a larger Yamaha powered mixer to choose from), and some medium sized, but light speakers. Or you could get one or two of the powered speakers with simple onboard mixers (like the QSC 122i). My eventual plan is to run the magnetic inputs of the Fly into the Axe Fx input 1, the piez into the Aura then into 2 and have acoustic and electric patches set up so I can use the killer effects from the AF and the killer acoustic preamp from the Aura (tried it at home and it sounds great, haven't gigged with it yet).

waxnsteel
03-29-2008, 01:50 PM
If by hot, you mean discontinued with the company out of business, yeah, it's hot. Not that it wasn't a great box.