PDA

View Full Version : Bad Monkey or Blues Driver.

Zim
06-23-2007, 09:00 AM
I didn't want to do the whole Bad Monkey VS Blues Driver bit, but...

Just wanting your guys input on the pro/cons of each, and any comments you guys had.I have the chance to get either one, or just get em both, but I should just pick one.

Also, is the USA Bad Monkeys any better or worse than their over seas counter parts? Or just the same? The one in question is MIA, so I was just wondering. Anyone think it will be a collectors item?

BTW, Both have no mods, fully stocked.

Thanks for the input....

GuitarsFromMars
06-23-2007, 09:44 AM
Give the monkeylove...

Dickie Fredericks
06-23-2007, 12:10 PM
Both are on my board right now and I use em for different things. If I had to choose one of the 2 Id take the Blues Driver. Mine are modded with montes mods. I think I have at least 4 BD-2's right now cause Im addicted to modding the things.

Yeah BD-2 w/ an H2O mod...

sandman
06-23-2007, 12:37 PM
I'd take the OD-3. It's just in beetween tonally and just right for me.

Zim
06-23-2007, 01:36 PM
Its just between the Bad Monkey and the Blues Driver.

I like sound clips of the BM more than I have the BD. It is between these two, because I'm getting one or the other in trade towards a pedal I'm selling. I'm getting either or for $40, I know the BM is only $40, but his brand new and MIA, the BD is as new, but a little scuffed. I think both have the boxes and what not. I know the BD cost more to buy new, but I'm not too sure I will like it as much as the BM.

JUSTJOB
06-23-2007, 02:02 PM
Both are different types of pedals.
The Bad Monkey is a TS type of pedal and is surprisingly good, especially at their price point. Not going to make any difference where the Monkey is made, the US ones sound the same as the others, probably due to the surface mount electronics on their boards. Also to do any serious mods to the Monkey would be rather difficult, due to the surface mount components.
The Blues Driver IMHO only excels when it is modded. The stock ones I don't particularly care for because they can be kinda buzzy and flabby. I love what Keeley does to the BD2. He turns the BD2 into kinda a cross between a Timmy and an OCD, making it very versatile and trans parent. Simply an outstanding pedal that has survived on my pedal board. The Monkey however I don't keep on my board, but I do keep one as backup just in case of a failure. Good cheap insurance!
Hope that helps! ;^)

ungarn
06-23-2007, 04:53 PM
No doubt...go with the Bad Monkey...

armanHammer
06-23-2007, 05:44 PM
BD just has more gain, I have a bad monkey and it's great, but it doesn't nearly match the BD in terms of gain. Both sound great to me (I've played a BD).

Greggy
06-23-2007, 08:43 PM
My Bad Monkey excels with single coils, the overdrive smooths the high end in a pleasing way. I also have a Keeley BD and it is really fine with humbuckers, and good with single coils. These are my 2 fav overdrives, although my Barber DDSS is really close when I want more gain.

Zim
06-23-2007, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the input guys. BM seems to be the one most dig. I was on the fence w/ the MIA vs overseas thing. I can get either for $40, and the BM is $40 new and the BD-2 is $79, but I guessing even if I went with the BD-2, I may never really like it. Bottom line is when I try em both out.

robelinda2
06-24-2007, 01:35 AM
BM for sure, the stock BD is awful to my ears.

jezzzz2003
06-24-2007, 04:39 AM
I'd take the OD-3. It's just in beetween tonally and just right for me.

Not a bad choice, its gotta be better than the BM and BD.

06-24-2007, 08:07 AM
For me it's the Blues Driver (stock) I've been using it for a good 3 years now and still love it.

I owned the Bad Monkey it's ok but in a live situation, it's an average pedal to my ears.

therealting
06-24-2007, 08:50 AM
I have an Analogman Silver Mod, an Analogman King of Tone and the Bad Monkey... I like them all, but the Bad Monkey is the one I'd take if I just want one pedal to stick in the guitar gigbag... it doesn't sound as smooth as the other two, but the bass and treble controls really make a big difference, and you can actually dial in a passable rock tone by cranking the bass and treble and gain, something I can't do with the others.

I tried the Blues Driver (only stock though), and it didn't do anything for me.

Zim
06-24-2007, 03:52 PM
seems like some monkey love in my near future.

Flux
06-24-2007, 06:05 PM
Bad Monkey. A useful pedal for getting clean boost, surprisingly transparent and at that price point it's a no-brainer. Unlike the BD the BM at gainy settings doesn't have that brittle 'transistor' edge I waste my time trying to dial out with run-of-the-mill boost pedals.

ungarn
06-24-2007, 09:53 PM
Bad Monkey. A useful pedal for getting clean boost, surprisingly transparent and at that price point it's a no-brainer. Unlike the BD the BM at gainy settings doesn't have that brittle 'transistor' edge I waste my time trying to dial out with run-of-the-mill boost pedals.

No doubt...the BD was always kinda spitty sounding for me. The Indyguitarist BD I had was better than stock (more Hi Fi and/or transparent) but still not as good as a BM.

willyredeemed
06-24-2007, 11:39 PM
dude, for $40, get the BD. You can pick up the BM anywhere for under $40 and it really makes no difference where its made, as stated previously. You'll have to try the BD on your own rig setup to see if you really like it; but, what I'd do is get the BD, then send it off to be keeley modded--total cost would be about $100 for a killer OD pedal! <--this is the what I'd do...for sure the best thing I think for you to do too, given your situation.

GuitarsFromMars
06-25-2007, 12:25 AM
monkeylove,the clear winner...

glenecho
06-25-2007, 12:30 AM
My Bad Monkey sounds great on my old Marshall, my old Fender, and my brand new Mesa. For the money...it's just ridiculous.

When I bought mine I also picked up a Digitech Screamin' Blues in a package deal. A nice pedal for some sounds...still trying to figure out where it fits in best. I know you didn't ask about it...but I told ya anyways.

Zim
06-25-2007, 07:22 AM
Haha, glenecho, thats ok that you told me anyways. I love input on other things. I was mainly looking at these two, because that was on deck.

willyredeemed, you are right on what you were saying, I was thinking the same thing, thats why I was asking about MIA vs. overseas. But I was also thinking, I just wanted the easy route, wich is whatever sounds great stock. so....

thanks everyone for your thoughts. Feel free to keep em coming!

therealting
06-25-2007, 07:36 AM
Oh, one more cool thing about the Bad Monkey... it's got a decent speaker sim. You can plug it straight into a mixer and actually get a passable sound.

dosmun
06-25-2007, 11:30 AM
They are both cheap. I personally would recommend getting both.

Zim
06-25-2007, 08:22 PM
monkeylove won!

tennisplayer
06-25-2007, 09:33 PM
I've got a friend who bought a Monkey, took the knobs off spray painted it black and then used a little red paint brush and put something like X23 on the side of it. Told everyone it was from some Russian mad scientist who is making a proto type for him to try out and they were selling for like $500. Everyone was drooling until he took it off his board for guys to look at. Says freakin Digitech on the bottom!!

Fun while it lasted.

thatsJared
06-25-2007, 10:45 PM
I own the Blues Driver(stock) and I love the low end transparancy of this pedal. Great rhythm overdrive. I have played a Bad Monkey and to me it sounded like it was coming through a kids sound box. It had very little range and sounded like it was a toy. I didn't have time to take it home and play with the settings on the pedal and my amp though.

Keeley Mod sounds interesting for the BD-2, still looking into that.