PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for locking tuners...

duckbunny
06-27-2007, 01:02 PM
Can anyone recommend locking tuners for a recently-acquired moses strat-graphite neck? Any good or bad experiences?
Thanks!

-db

Dave
06-27-2007, 03:44 PM
The best locking tuners I've ever used are the one's that Tom Anderson puts on his guitars and I can't find them anywhere. I think they're made by Grover, but I'm not 100% sure about that. They don't have a knob on the back, instead there's a slot on the top of each post. You simply put a coin in the slot and hold it as you turn the tuner which causes a shaft to rise up and pinch the string. They look just like non-locking tuners and work great.

The worst locking tuners I've ever used are the Grover Locking Robomatics. They look similar to the ones found on Tom Anderson guitars, but they're very different in the way they work. They have a metal cap over the post with holes that line up with the holes in the post. The string tension causes the cap to pinch the string as the post turns. I had a lot of problems with the unwound strings slipping when putting on a new set, so much so that I just couldn't live with them.

So, unless you can get your hands on those lovely tuners that Tom Anderson is using I'd recommend Sperzels. They don't have the highest ratio and they're a bit heavy, but they work very well IMO.

9fingers
06-27-2007, 05:47 PM
Never had a problem with the Fender/Schallers on 2 Deluxes. They are easy to use,work smooth & hold well.

rooster
06-27-2007, 05:54 PM
Never had a problem with Schallers, never had a problem with Sperzels. I like the Sperzels better, but I'm prejudiced -- they're made in USA.

rooster.

A-Bone
06-27-2007, 05:55 PM
I second the prior comments about Sperzels (including that they are a wee bit heavy). I have a couple of guitars with them installed, and they have worked quite well for me with no downside.

walterw
06-27-2007, 09:54 PM
there's sperzels, and then there's everything else.

WaitForMe
06-27-2007, 10:32 PM
They don't have a knob on the back, instead there's a slot on the top of each post. You simply put a coin in the slot and hold it as you turn the tuner which causes a shaft to rise up and pinch the string. They look just like non-locking tuners and work great.

That sounds somewhat like a description of the PRS/Schaller Phase II low-mass locking tuners. I really like them. With the PRS tuners, though, the coin action screws the post down to clamp the string.

RedLizard
06-27-2007, 11:25 PM
Gotoh Kluson vintage locking are awesome. They look vintage, are lightweight and...most importantly...work great. Not too easy to find, but a Google search will turn up a few vendors. Never had a problem with a half dozen sets.

Eagle1
06-28-2007, 06:26 AM
Sperzel, sperzel oh and then there's sperzel,
The Gotoh Magnun locks are good but a pain to restring and you do have to tighten them down or every time you bend a string they come back flat ( but the only direct replacement for an old Kluson). The schallers are just sperzel copy not as good and more expensive.
The grover ones are just awful quality Korean crap with huge backlash ,and the newer cam locking ones are not up to holding the High E after a little groove wares in the cam ( sooner than you think ).

Eagle1
06-28-2007, 06:27 AM
That sounds somewhat like a description of the PRS/Schaller Phase II low-mass locking tuners. I really like them. With the PRS tuners, though, the coin action screws the post down to clamp the string.

For low mass read low cost.

duckbunny
06-28-2007, 09:23 PM
Gotoh Kluson vintage locking are awesome. They look vintage, are lightweight and...most importantly...work great. Not too easy to find, but a Google search will turn up a few vendors. Never had a problem with a half dozen sets.

Saw these at Stew-Mac. Are these the ones you describe?
http://www.stewmac.com/catalog/images_1lg/1954_1lg.jpg

Gotoh-Kluson vintage locking tuners.

-db

RadackGuitars
06-28-2007, 10:32 PM
Hipshot just came out with a new locking guitar gear. very nice.
hipshotproducts.com

RedLizard
06-28-2007, 11:04 PM
Saw these at Stew-Mac. Are these the ones you describe?
http://www.stewmac.com/catalog/images_1lg/1954_1lg.jpg

Gotoh-Kluson vintage locking tuners.

-db

Yep, that's them. I didn't buy them at Stew Mac and don't remeber how competitive their price was vs. others. If you google them, you can probably come up with 4-5 options and save a few bucks.

I have zero complaints on these and have 7-8 guitars using them, some that came as stock equip on my Grosh guitars and some that I had installed on some custom necks made for me by a gentleman at a guitar company that rhymes with Rentz. ;)

Be very careful to ensure that the tuner holes in your neck match with that of the tuners you buy, as there is no standard and even the slightest difference can be enough to be a problem.

DanD
06-29-2007, 12:05 PM

Ditto on these.
I use them on both strat and tele and they work really well.
Now that I'm in tune I need to start playing better :)

DanD

RedLizard
06-29-2007, 12:33 PM
BTW, I went back through my records and I bought the Gotoh Kluson Vintage Locking tuners in chrome through www.jmimusic.com (http://www.jmimusic.com) . Two sets for $89 shipped about two years ago. If he doesn't show them on his website, he might either have them in stock or get them for you. He (Jim) was very responsive with me.

StewMac is showing $57/set plus shipping.

TheRockDoc
06-30-2007, 11:20 PM
there's sperzels, and then there's everything else.

I didn't even know there were others... :):AOK

gtr777
07-04-2007, 12:22 PM
I have sperzels on one guitars and planet waves auto-trims on two others both work great.

larry1096
07-05-2007, 12:05 AM
Having had Sperzels cut strings where they enter the tuner on several occasions and several different sets of tuners, I shall purchase no more. In fact, Sperzels are a point against a new guitar with them, as I'll immediately replace them.

Larry

bobgoblin
07-05-2007, 12:35 AM
I like Sperzels, & the Gotoh/Kluson-style. The PRS lockers are nice, too. Grovers (for me) sucked.

Slick51
07-05-2007, 06:37 AM
http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/tuners/tuners.cfm?fuseaction=guitar_tuners

the Schaller locking mini tuner. These are small, and with an ebony or MOTS button, are classy to boot. I've tried the Sperzels, Schaller/Fender, Gotoh, Locking Vintage Gotoh, LV Kluson (still have those), Tom Anderson, PRS and others...these are my fave for what that's worth. Also, they're sold individually, so doing a EB Music Man headstock is simple (4+2).

Dave
07-05-2007, 08:28 AM
Having had Sperzels cut strings where they enter the tuner on several occasions and several different sets of tuners, I shall purchase no more. In fact, Sperzels are a point against a new guitar with them, as I'll immediately replace them.
That only happens if you over tighten the locking mechanism. They don't require much torque to lock the string in place.

larry1096
07-06-2007, 08:06 AM
That only happens if you over tighten the locking mechanism. They don't require much torque to lock the string in place.

That's what I thought, too, at first. But several were cutting strings before the string was even secure. I eventually polished the edges of the string hole with a Dremel, and that cured it, so I assume it was a burr from manufacturing.

Even if they never cut a string, the 12:1 ratio makes them annoying.

Larry

Eagle1
07-06-2007, 08:13 AM
That's what I thought, too, at first. But several were cutting strings before the string was even secure. I eventually polished the edges of the string hole with a Dremel, and that cured it, so I assume it was a burr from manufacturing.

Even if they never cut a string, the 12:1 ratio makes them annoying.

Larry
One faulty casting dose not make a bad choice(just bad luck).
Especially when all the others are worse.

larry1096
07-06-2007, 03:13 PM
One faulty casting dose not make a bad choice(just bad luck).
Especially when all the others are worse.

Like I said, several sets had this problem. Perhaps a bad run, but none for me, thanks.

Larr

walterw
07-07-2007, 01:19 AM
that is strange, in that i've never seen that in the literally hundreds of sperzel-equipped guitars i've set up over the years. (not saying it ain't true, just never seen it.) i have seen the planet waves self-cutting keys eat new strings while being put on, so no thanks.

now my actual favorite tuners are plain old fender split-shaft kluson-styles by gotoh. if they ever come out with 3-on-a-side keystone button versions, they're going right on my les paul!

jumpchamp
07-07-2007, 09:56 AM
i love the gotoh-klusons! have had them on a parts-o-tele as well as on a jazzmaster RI. look really classy and work exceptionally well.

that being said, i've also been very happy with sperzels (made in cleveland even! oh yeah :) ) as well as the planet waves trim-loks.

GuitarDiscountCenter
07-07-2007, 06:37 PM
now my actual favorite tuners are plain old fender split-shaft kluson-styles by gotoh. if they ever come out with 3-on-a-side keystone button versions, they're going right on my les paul!

Your looking for Keystone 3x3 with a split post or just locking?

walterw
07-07-2007, 09:42 PM
cool stuff there, but i'm looking for split-shaft vintage les paul keys. hell, i'm also looking for 3-on-a-plate split-shaft keys for my late 40's gibson j-50 while i'm at it. and also a pony.

GuitarDiscountCenter
07-09-2007, 11:40 AM
cool stuff there, but i'm looking for split-shaft vintage les paul keys. hell, i'm also looking for 3-on-a-plate split-shaft keys for my late 40's gibson j-50 while i'm at it. and also a pony.

I can order a set of the Split shaft LP keys if you can wait 2 months.

Jack Gilvey
07-09-2007, 02:41 PM
A little OT, but are any of these not suited to steel-string acoustics? Looking to pick up a set of Sperzels for my ancient Tama dreadnaught.

Jack Gilvey
07-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Just threw a set of locking Grovers on my Ibanez 520. Only slipping I got was before I realized I needed to maintain tension on the back end of the plain strings until the cam locked. Seem nice for $50 or so, smooth.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Grover_Locking_Guitar_Machines.html

walterw
07-10-2007, 11:29 PM
I can order a set of the Split shaft LP keys if you can wait 2 months.

cool! P.M. sent.